Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current wisdom on sum of money found

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

greenheart wrote: »
    This is a bit long -
    A friend of mine in her teens found 6,000 punts wrapped in an elastic band. She was in work and a man she was serving left it on the table with a few coins. When he was leaving he said I left money there on the table for you, she taught it was the coins and when she found the notes she ran out looking for him but couldn't find him so then she gave it straight to the owner of the pub, telling him what he guy looked like. A week later the owner gave her 50 punts and said the guy came back looking for it that he was delighted and left 50punts for her.
    My friend never met her real dad, she knew of him and knew he lived in dublin but it never bothered her until she was getting married so 2 years ago she bit the bullet and they met up.
    After a few months he told her that he was the one who left that money in the pub :eek: He taught that she got the money, he never went back to the pub or never got the money back so the pub onwer kept it..
    It kills her when she thinks about it, she was so broke at the time and how stupid he was just to leave it the way he did.

Thats terrible! Please tell me they confronted the pub owner after this realisation :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The OP is a renowned wind-up merchant so I wouldnt take notice of him (he asked for people's views and then it's clear he only wants views he likes reading) but his supporters though...
    seanl77 wrote: »
    If the original owner of the cash was dumb enough to lose €300 in the first place, i wouldnt have much sympathy for them to be honest. I would have kept the cash, and thanked my lucky stars for the windfall.
    That pathetic justification was already covered. Non stupid people make mistakes since they're human. That money could be for something really important but make yourself feel better by saying the owner is too stupid to deserve it. It wouldn't be luck for you either, it would be profiting from someone's misfortune.
    Il Trap wrote: »
    I'm just imagining if that was my rent money that I had dropped while I was on the way to lodge it in the bank. I'd be devestated. And considering you made zero effort to find the owner I'd think you a bit of a selfish pr!ck OP.
    You make a good point but prepare for howls of "high horse" and "holier than thou" from people who know you're right and are uncomfortable with it.
    Bet they'd be the "I'm entitled to my opinion!" types... but it seems they don't think others are.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Thats terrible! Please tell me they confronted the pub owner after this realisation :(

The pub is closed now but they got the owners phone number. He's quite old now and lives down the country. At first he was saying he can't remember then his story kept changing, it's actually still going on. This guy is meant to be seriously rich, I'd say it's because of doing scummy stuff like this :mad:
    I doubt they'll get it back tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

If it was me I'd share the spoils, i.e. "guilt". I'd hire a bus and bring me mates on a pub crawl thereby not spending the money directly on meself so at the Pearly Gates when he is looking at my CV, my mates would go down with me too..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Before I made my decision the forum were in a consensus

Taunts & guilt will not sway me as this was a collective decision.

You still can't justify it and trying to spread collective blame to posters here is frankly bollox. Noone here made you lodge the money.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think the mods should just merge the thread to be honest

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056844348

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Thanks for the feedback.

I went with the majority of the forum's advice & kept it.
    I've already lodged it against my Christmas Credit Card bill.

It was nearly €300 but I couldn't put up with the hassle of advertising the find then having to listen to gougers for the next week.

My conscience is at ease as I know now it's what the majority of the forum would have done.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the crime you have committed is called larceny by finding.

You took something which is not yours and used it as if it were.

You are either a troll or a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jojobeans

Keep the money, mate.

- You give it to the Gardai and it'll go missing :rolleyes:

Totally agree sure you may as well keep it than hand it in better in your pocket than anyone elses.

No i.d no owner imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Don't know why the giving the charity option was dismissed so readily. Made no attempt to find the owner and kept for yourself. Scumbag thread for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Right, stop with your slings & arrows . . . . . read the thread title again, slowly.

I wanted to establish a forum consensus for someone in my situation.
    I did & I acted on it's advice.

I'm not paying 44% penalty interest for a cash withdrawl on a credit card so the case is closed.
    If the Mods wish to leave this thread open for the 5 pages of vitriol & abuse that follows feel free, I wont be back to read it.

If I were them I would just close it now.

Ciao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

"what goes around, comes around" if it where me id hand it in, i know id like someone to do the same for me.

Give it to the Guards, i understand it could go missing, but chances are it wont.

I believe in Karma tbh:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Right, stop with your slings & arrows . . . . . read the thread title again, slowly.

I believe we all did mis-read it, and that you mis-spelled it.
    http://www.rawguru.com/store/images/C/Black%20Zante-Currants-Raw-Organic%20-%2016%20oz-t.jpg :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

delta36 wrote: »
    I believe we all did mis-read it, and that you mis-spelled it.
    http://www.rawguru.com/store/images/C/Black%20Zante-Currants-Raw-Organic%20-%2016%20oz-t.jpg :pac:

I think I killed this thread, last time I try raisin' an issue.

Edit: I'll stop now.

Advertisement