Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current wisdom on sum of money found

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Well if the newly vocal moral majority had spoken up earlier in the thread this money may have been back with the rightful owner.
    Instead you lay silent as pragmatic greed spread it's virtues.

Consider yourself as much to blame here as I am.

If you don't have any moral qualms about keeping money that isn't yours, then why even bother posting here, other than having a little gloat (or a bigger troll).

I lost my wallet a few months back, and it had a few hundred euros in it as I was going to my sister's wedding the following weekend. Someone found it, informed all the local businesses, gave his contact details and handed the wallet into the Gardai.

The only problem I had was that the Gardai kept denying they had it! Until I finally had the name of the specific Garda he gave it to, who returned it to me with the money intact.

I'd do likewise (other than I'd hold onto the wallet rather than give it to the Gardai, after that experience).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If anyone ever confronts you about this make sure you answer carefully...

"It was just resting in my account..."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I have previous granted but not in this case.
    Either way it's a mute point as the money is already lodged.

You could always try to find the owner and if you do, then take the money out of your cc and give it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It's really very simple, somebody is down 300 euro, we know not who or in what circumstances.

Exactly, so how do you intend to be sure you're giving it back to the right person? Even if you hand it in somewhere where it won't 'go missing' and advertise it you'll have every chancer in the country ringing in guessing the amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

It's really his own business if the OP wants to hang on to the money.

Strange the stuff that gets defended or lambasted here at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ciaburkie

It might be dirty money

keep it

If he found it on the ground it is obviously dirty money :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

staker wrote: »
    It's really his own business if the OP wants to hang on to the money.

Strange the stuff that gets defended or lambasted here at times.
    But he asked for views.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus, the holier than thou brigade have come out in force...

On the karma/good deed thing, I found a handbag in carpark of Tescos in Tralee about 18 months ago. In it there was ~€700, handed it into Tesco security dude, filled out a form with my details too. The woman who owned the bag rang me later that afternoon, told me the money was for her holiday the following day, and she was very grateful. She said she had my details (postal address/etc) and would pop something in the post.

Miserable bitch never sent anything... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

dulpit wrote: »
    Jesus, the holier than thou brigade have come out in force...

On the karma/good deed thing, I found a handbag in carpark of Tescos in Tralee about 18 months ago. In it there was ~€700, handed it into Tesco security dude, filled out a form with my details too. The woman who owned the bag rang me later that afternoon, told me the money was for her holiday the following day, and she was very grateful. She said she had my details (postal address/etc) and would pop something in the post.

Miserable bitch never sent anything... :mad:

Was the fact that she went to the bother to ring you and say she was very grateful not enough?

Or are you just greedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Valetta wrote: »
    Was the fact that she went to the bother to ring you and say she was very grateful not enough?

Or are you just greedy?

She did say she was going to send him something.. maybe she lost it? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ring the local garda station and ask if anyone has lost a sum of Money. Listen to your local radio station to see if they announce it. Look out for posters or notices in local shops and the post office. If there are none within a few weeks, spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

hawkelady wrote: »

Are you really committing a crime when you find money on the street and pocket it ??
    Are you telling me I should run to the local cop shop next time I find €1 ??

Theft by finding is an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

CJC999 wrote: »
    Theft by finding is an offence.

So is blasphemy and not paying a TV license when you don't even watch the crap on RTE because you have Sky

Feck the legality and comparing it with victimless crimes, and using 1 euro as an analogy when this is concerning €300 - what about the ethics? Could be for something really important ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If you're stupid enough to loose 300 quid then you don't deserve to have that amount of money. I'd keep it definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I was mugged for my weeks wages this morning by some crazy guy, he was shouting about his credit card bill as he stole my €300 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I lost €100 before Christmas. I never expected to get it back- would be different had I lost it in my purse. The finder, if they had any decency, would at leat be able to track me down through my id etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be fair to the OP, there is a massive difference between finding cash or finding a wallet/bag. With a wallet/handbag/etc, it should be easy enough to find out who owns the money, with cash it's not.

If you were to hand it in, the original owner might get it, but might not. Saying that, I would probably have tried a bit harder to find the owner before keeping it.

If you're stupid enough to loose 300 quid then you don't deserve to have that amount of money. I'd keep it definitely.
    Non stupid people have accidents, make mistakes - you'll learn in time you're not perfect either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

A few years ago, walking down the street in London in the middle of the night after a concert, my boyfriend and I found 4 £20 notes just lying there on the street. We looked around to see if there were any more, then just took them and left. In that situation, with no wallet or anything, I don't feel bad about keeping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's pretty simple TBH - it's not my money. I'd make a very decent effort to find the owner (letting the Gardaí know that I found a sum of money in XX location, ditto with local radio station).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I'd always hand in money I found whether it was 20 quid or 300.
    If the shop assistant or the gard or whoever pocket it themselves I can't do anything about it but at least I did the right thing.
    If everyone does the right thing then there's a good chance the owner gets their cash back.
    That's the way I would look at it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Madam_X wrote: »
    Non stupid people have accidents, make mistakes - you'll learn in time you're not perfect either.

I'm not perfect but i'd definitely make sure if I had 300 quid in my pocket that I didn't lose it.

So would anyone, but... sh1t happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I posted about my experience of locating money's rightful owner over a year ago, there's are chancers around every corner. I wouldn't hand over the money to anyone or let on to anyone how much you found. It could be a premiership footballers toilet paper or a family's food for the month.
    Don't know if it's thread worthy but I'm just off the phone to one of the most impolite ladies I have ever had to deal with. A while ago I found a small bit of money in the car park of a supermarket. I didn't fancy hanging around so I emailed the supermarket to say I had found a small bit of money. I know I say small but if someone is strapped they could probably do without losing this amount on the run up to Christmas. The supemarket contacted me back a few weeks ago but I didn't see the email as I just saw a heading "Customer Service" and ignored it but I read todays one and contacted the customer. Our phone at work records calls so I've listened back.

The conversation went like this:
    Me: Hi is this <person>?
    Her: It is indeed
    Me: I've just been contacted by <supermarket>, I found some money a while ago and you lost some money?
    Her: I did indeed
    Me: What was the amount?
    Her: x euros.
    Me: That's far off what I found, I found a lot less than that.
    Her: How much did you find?
    Me: I'm not going to say that but it was a lot less than x euros.
    Her: What was it in?
    Me: I'm not going to say anything other than that but it was a lot less than x.
    Her: Can I meet you some where?
    Me: I did not find anything remotely near x euros so I don't see the point.
    Her: Have you still the money?
    Me: I do yeah
    Her: So why are you ringing me if it's not my money?
    Me: I was ringing to find out if it is your money that I have.
    Her: What way was it?
    Me: I found it on the ground beside my car, I contacted <supermarket> to say I found some money and they gave me your number.
    Her: Around <date>
    Me: I found it after that, it was over a week later.
    Her: and did you go away on holidays or something?
    Me: No, I only got an email off them there this morning so I had to go through all my old emails to find the original as they only mark their emails customer service and not the name of the supermarket so I generally delete emails like that as they're usually spam.
    Her: This is no scam that I lost my money.
    Me: I know but I'm not going to tell you the amount of money incase you try and get someone to claim it.
    Her: I've been waiting to get my money back since <a fair while ago>, I've paid <supermarket> to look at the CCTV and I've contacted the guards.
    Me: I appreciate all that but I just found money, I contacted <supermarket> and I'm just trying to do something right here.
    Her: Why didn't you hand in the money to <supermarket> and let <supermarket> sort it out?
    Me: but sure I told them I have the money.
    Her: Sure I'll meet you at <supermarket>
    Me: Nooo, I don't have your money, I have somebody elses money.
    Her: Tell me, what was the amount?
    Me: As I said, I'm not going to tell you how much it was for.
    Her: Can you tell me what it was in?
    Me: Nooo, I'm not giving any more information.
    Her: Well then you know the gards are to this, right?
    Me: Yeah
    Her: Yeah, so I'll get back onto <supermarket> again, I'm in contact with some <name>, I'll have to get to the bottom of this.
    Me: It's nothing to do with me now, I just found some money, I told <supermarket> I found some money, they gave me your number, I've contacted you, the amount is completely different and it was on a completely different day so as far I'm concerned I'm finished with your completely seperate issue.
    Her: I just cant understand you won't meet me.
    Me: I don't see why, I did not find your money.
    Her: Why did <supermarket> give you the number.
    Me: You reported a missing sum of money.
    Her: Why are you getting back to me now?
    Me: I'm ending this conversation now because....
    Her: Why didn't you get back to me before?
    Me: I'm ending this conversation because you're trying to pin something on me
    Her: No, no I'm not, I'm just asking why you didn't get in contact with me before now?
    Me: I only got an email this morning, I have nothing to do with <supermarket>, I was a customer.
    Her: Like I was?
    Me: Yeah, so I really don't see why you're asking all these questions? I'm trying to do something good.
    Her: Why.......
    Me: I'm ending this conversation right now, thanks, bye.

She spoke to me in a very unmanerly tone and if she goes to the gardaí she really is a dick.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

That, Captain Havoc, is absolutely f***ing hilarious! Highlight of that conversation has to have been
    Her: So why are you ringing me if it's not my money?
    Just, wow. Was she really being serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Find wallet: Hand into Gardaí.

See money dropped by individual: Grab it and give it back to them.

Find random money on ground: Keep it.

That's how I (personally) deal with these situations, and each one has come up at least once in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Maybe the OP was mugged years ago and now this is good karma? I'd imagine the vast majority here would have done the same thing as OP. Tis easy to ride the high horse into the sunset behind the sanctuary of a keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

A few years ago, walking down the street in London in the middle of the night after a concert, my boyfriend and I found 4 £20 notes just lying there on the street. We looked around to see if there were any more, then just took them and left. In that situation, with no wallet or anything, I don't feel bad about keeping it.

The fact that you 'don't feel bad' about it doesn't make it ok to do it. The point is you should 'feel bad' about it. Somebody somewhere is down 300 euros, you would have been morally better leaving it to be found by somebody who did give a **** about that than taking it out of the equation. Give it to charity if can't find the owner. Loads of options before you pocket it.

• Advertisement

"The vast majority would pocket it" and "high horse" tripe translates as: "I'd pocket 300 euro no prob and I'm not comfortable with others saying they wouldn't be able to, so I'll make myself feel better by speaking for nearly everyone else and projecting my take on them." Like the "everyone's somewhat racist" bollocks. :)

Advertisement