Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current wisdom on sum of money found

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It might be dirty money

no, stick it in the washing machine?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

MidlandsM wrote: »
    no, stick it in the washing machine?:p

Worse.

Then it'd be laundered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Madam_X wrote: »
    "The vast majority would pocket it" and "high horse" tripe translates as: "I'd pocket 300 euro no prob and I'm not comfortable with others saying they wouldn't be able to, so I'll make myself feel better by speaking for nearly everyone else and projecting my take on them." Like the "everyone's somewhat racist" bollocks. :)

It's just more pathetic justification, take a look at the contents of lost and found offices around the world, http://www.timeout.com/london/big-smoke/features/2812/London_Underground_lost_property.html full to the brim of stuff handed in by these 'rare and scarce' decent people.
    You are not 'entitled' to it just because you don't 'feel bad'. If the amount of stuff handed in and back to it's rightful owners diminishes as we 'progress' as a race, that speaks for it self don't you think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Valetta wrote: »
    Worse.

Then it'd be laundered.

feck! CALL THE GARDS!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Jaysus Lads, I found a Euro Coin on the path this morning.
    After reading this thread I am at a total loss as to the right thing to do.

So I have decided to put 3 euro to it and have a pint on the way home while I struggle with my concience

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »

So I have decided to put 3 euro to it and have a pint on the way home while I struggle with my concience

How hard is it to find a poor box in a shop or pub or church? Or maybe that would be a shockingly uncool thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

martinn123 wrote: »

Second post pretending one euro is comparable to 300 euro. Strange logic. :confused:

Tbh I wouldn't care if it was less than 50 euro but 300 euro is an awful lot of money for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How hard is it to find a poor box in a shop or pub or church? Or maybe that would be a shockingly uncool thing to do?
    Why would anybody give any money to a church ever? Or a charity who's CEO is paid a massive salary? OP hit a bit of good fortune. Maybe it'll come back and bite him on the hole. So what? I know I'd do the same, and I know plenty of others who would too. People seem to be taking it awful personally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Happyman42 wrote: »

Much harder than putting it in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Why would anybody give any money to a church ever? Or a charity who's CEO is paid a massive salary? OP hit a bit of good fortune. Maybe it'll come back and bite him on the hole. So what? I know I'd do the same, and I know plenty of others who would too. People seem to be taking it awful personally!
    People seem to be taking "I couldn't just pocket 300 euro immediately" awful personal too - hits a nerve for them you see.

The OP didn't have a bit of good fortune. At all. Somebody else had a LOT of bad fortune and the OP is profiting from it.

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Just leave it on the ground then, leave it for somebody who is not so lazy about decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

If the original owner of the cash was dumb enough to lose €300 in the first place, i wouldnt have much sympathy for them to be honest. I would have kept the cash, and thanked my lucky stars for the windfall. Phones and wallets i would make the effort to track the owner as it would be relatively straight forward, but cold hard cash....... no chance! The gardai would piss themselves laughing if that amount was handed in, they just ring a mate who comes and claims it from the station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Was the sum found near a bank? That would be the first place I'd leave a message and probably the first place I'd check if I had taken a sum of money out of the bank and lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

I'm just imagining if that was my rent money that I had dropped while I was on the way to lodge it in the bank. I'd be devestated. And considering you made zero effort to find the owner I'd think you a bit of a selfish pr!ck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Il Trap wrote: »
    I'm just imagining if that was my rent money that I had dropped while I was on the way to lodge it in the bank. I'd be devestated. And considering you made zero effort to find the owner I'd think you a bit of a selfish pr!ck OP.

+1

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Excuse me, a selfish prick with 300 quid off his credit card bill if you please.

This experience has been a bit of an eye opener for me, it amazes me how pious some people are in their judgements, my natural instinct is far more dog eat dog.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Excuse me, a selfish prick with 300 quid off his credit card bill if you please.

This experience has been a bit of an eye opener for me, it amazes me how pious some people are in their judgements, my natural instinct is far more dog eat dog.

Just wondering - if you saw a sign in your local shop pleading the safe return of a lost sum of money (the correct sum, lost in the place you found it) would you consider this money 'found' or stolen?

I paid €500 off my credit card today, but I didn't steal it.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Just wondering - if you saw a sign in your local shop pleading the safe return of a lost sum of money (the correct sum, lost in the place you found it) would you consider this money 'found' or stolen?

Had I spent it I doubt I would look to return it.
    Definitely not stolen as I never entered their property or went through their belongs.
    It's a pure act of chance & I'll accept it as luck.

Rasmus wrote: »

I am begining to suspect that the OP and those trenchantly saying this is a good and right thing to do are those who have little experience at having responsibilities. Most people would do the right thing here, well, I like to believe they would anyway and have been on the recieving end of honesty and concern a few times in my life. Also lost money and stuff and never saw it again too but I don't let that make me cynical and selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely not stolen as I never entered their property or went through their belongs.
    According to the law, knowingly depriving another person of their property by failing to take reasonable steps to try and determine the property's rightful owner is theft.

Seems fairly cut-and-dried to me.

You've a funny idea of what stealing is.

steal/stil/ Show Spelled [steel] Show IPA verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun.
    verb (used with object)
    1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.
    2. to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.
    3. to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance:

Had I spent it I doubt I would look to return it.
    It's a pure act of chance & I'll accept it as luck.

But the thing is, the sum of money you found is someone's property. There was nothing lucky about this incident - you simply benefited from somebody's bad fortune.
    A lottery win, for example, is chance and luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The reality is that is completely indefensible and is hugely shameful

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

This is a bit long -
    A friend of mine in her teens found 6,000 punts wrapped in an elastic band. She was in work and a man she was serving left it on the table with a few coins. When he was leaving he said I left money there on the table for you, she taught it was the coins and when she found the notes she ran out looking for him but couldn't find him so then she gave it straight to the owner of the pub, telling him what he guy looked like. A week later the owner gave her 50 punts and said the guy came back looking for it that he was delighted and left 50punts for her.
    My friend never met her real dad, she knew of him and knew he lived in dublin but it never bothered her until she was getting married so 2 years ago she bit the bullet and they met up.
    After a few months he told her that he was the one who left that money in the pub :eek: He taught that she got the money, he never went back to the pub or never got the money back so the pub onwer kept it..
    It kills her when she thinks about it, she was so broke at the time and how stupid he was just to leave it the way he did.

seamus wrote: »
    According to the law, knowingly depriving another person of their property by failing to take reasonable steps to try and determine the property's rightful owner is theft.

Seems fairly cut-and-dried to me.

Before I made my decision the forum were in a consensus
    saiint wrote: »
    keep it , pay off bills
    finders keepers
    losers go **** urselfs :D
    Hippies! wrote: »
    Yonk! Drugs & Booze :)

No seriously OP it's mine, can I have it back? I need it for sick children in Africa or something.
    Zombienosh wrote: »
    ah the age old question.

spend it on hooers.
    Fúck that - if you'd found a wallet with id then yes, by all means give it back - but just a wad of cash - take that as the universe giving you a late chrimbo pressie. Spend it and count yourself lucky.
    It might be dirty money

keep it
    Thank the money Gods and spend it on stuff.

Be warned though, it may bring very very bad luck and misfortune with it. It wasn't so lucky for it's last owner. Be sure and have your affairs in order.
    Dodge wrote: »
    at the moment, if it as me, I wouldn't ven tell the missus. She'd only want to spend ti on the house, or worse, 'the family'

Go into a bookies. Stick it all on the next favourite. If it loses you'll at least get a little thrill ride out of it. if it wins, you can hand it in and still have a windfall to do what you realy want to do with it.

Enjoy
    Keep the money, mate.

- You give it to the Gardai and it'll go missing :rolleyes:
    - You ask the neighbours if it's their's 10 of them will say it was :rolleyes:

Keep it.

Taunts & guilt will not sway me as this was a collective decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sure it was, criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Motopepe

I think it interesting too that the OP is setting up a defence of his decision by contrasting his "dog eat dog" natural instinct with "how pious some people are in their judgements".

Current Wisdom?? This idea suggests to me that wisdom is a changeable phenomena.
    Has current wisdom changed here????

A collective decision?? Thats a bit cheeky!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Before I made my decision the forum were in a consensus

Taunts & guilt will not sway me as this was a collective decision.

Selectively quoting the ones who agree with you getting what you want, OK.

Feck it, tis worth saying it to you for whatever infraction i get as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

I'm just imagining it's a drug dealer's money that he dropped while off his tits, coming back from beating up his girlfriend to within an inch of her life.

While I might agree to an extent about trying to find the original owner (a lot of varying circumstances would change my opinion on this), hypothesizing about who owned the money is pointless.

Advertisement