Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current wisdom on sum of money found

Options
  • 03-01-2013 1:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Walking in this morning & I found a sum of notes lying on the ground folded neatly.
    What's the current wisdom on what I should do next ?.

My mother-in-law had a bad experience a few years ago handing cash into the local Guards, lets just say it went missing just before the 366 days were up.

I could give it to charity but I could also be selfish & pay off my Christmas Credit Card bill.

No point putting an ad in the paper cause every chancer in town will take a punt on the amount.

What's my next move ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Put up a few posters in the locality

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ah the age old question.

spend it on hooers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Pop into the local Garda station and let them know a sum of money was found, I wouldn't hand it in. If there's local businesses/shops nearby, tell them same (obviously not telling them the amount).

If you make a genuine, decent effort over a period of time and nobody claims it, I say enjoy the find.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Motopepe

where did you find it?
    how much was it?
    Answers to these questions would be helpful!
    I think i know who lost it ... If it was Euro that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sell it on Donedeal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

keep it , pay off bills
    finders keepers
    losers go **** urselfs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Yonk! Drugs & Booze :)

No seriously OP it's mine, can I have it back? I need it for sick children in Africa or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Give it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Leave a note at the local garda station informing them of the whereabouts of the money should any of try claim it but keep hold of it yourself.

Put a note in the paper asking anyone enquiring to give the exact ammount and aproximate location of where they lost it. If your not happy it's theirs don't give it to them.

Or.....keep it, moral dillema's ay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

where did you find it?
    how much was it?
    Answers to these questions would be helpful!
    I think i know who lost it ... If it was Euro that is!

Well yes, they would be helpful to any chancers around. Maybe say roughly what area it was found it, but not the amount. Tell them in the garda station and leave your number, maybe ring in to local radio, but keep the amount to yourself.

Give it a week or so, make a genuine effort, and if no claimers then I reckon its yours, to give to charity or keep as you see fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ring guards say you found money and if anyone rings then they can contact you. same with local radio, local sub forum on boards etc etc.

iirc i think i found the person who lost the wages i found in Letterkenny 2 or 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fúck that - if you'd found a wallet with id then yes, by all means give it back - but just a wad of cash - take that as the universe giving you a late chrimbo pressie. Spend it and count yourself lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It might be dirty money

keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Go to a nearby shop and give it to them in a sealed envelope with the sum written on the outside. Tell them you're going to the Guards to tell them that you've found so much money and you've left it at this shop. That keeps everyone honest and you may well reunite a person more needy of their cash than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thank the money Gods and spend it on stuff.

Be warned though, it may bring very very bad luck and misfortune with it. It wasn't so lucky for it's last owner. Be sure and have your affairs in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Project Werewolf

If you put it on donedeal or put a poster up you'll just bring all the chancres down on top of you. It'll be like when someone put an engagement ring in a charity bucket in mayo last year. Over one thousand women rang up claiming it was theirs.

Best you can do is give it into the garda station and hope you get an honest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Depends how much it is.

Gards if you feel there's any genuine chance of them getting it back to the owner, or take it as a gift from the universe and spend/donate it as you see fit.

Personally, unless there was something other than just cash, it's probably a lost cause trying to find the rightful owner. Enjoy your little windfall :)

Or guns and drugs obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Really it depends on the amount. I wouldn't even bother if it's less than a hundred. Quite often the loser may not even know they lost it or won't bother to look.

My worst losing money story was one windy day near the beach. Suddenly I saw a piece of paper blow past with a flicker or blue on it. I just knew it was a twenty. Then another and another. I chased them wondering where they came from when I suddenly realised it was my pocket. PANIC! In the end only one got away and I think it ended up in the sea! Thank goodness they weren't fifties but then again I only ever have one of those at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

at the moment, if it as me, I wouldn't ven tell the missus. She'd only want to spend ti on the house, or worse, 'the family'

Go into a bookies. Stick it all on the next favourite. If it loses you'll at least get a little thrill ride out of it. if it wins, you can hand it in and still have a windfall to do what you realy want to do with it.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

bluecode wrote: »
    Really it depends on the amount. I wouldn't even bother if it's less than a hundred. Quite often the loser may not even know they lost it or won't bother to look.

My worst losing money story was one windy day near the beach. Suddenly I saw a piece of paper blow past with a flicker or blue on it. I just knew it was a twenty. Then another and another. I chased them wondering where they came from when I suddenly realised it was my pocket. PANIC! In the end only one got away and I think it ended up in the sea! Thank goodness they weren't fifties but then again I only ever have one of those at a time.

I once chased a guy who was spilling notes (punts at the time) out of his pocket. He kept getting further away as he was running and I was stopping to pick up his money. After chasing and shouting at him for two streets, I caught up to him and handed him his money. He just grabbed the money, rolled his eyes to heaven said "oh for fúcks sake" then took off running again. Not even an acknowledgement or thank you from the cnut.

12 years plus and counting of bitterness towards him from me and pure resentment that I didn't keep the money. I like keeping rage bottled up, sure it's only blood pressure...... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd put a notice in the local Post office in case it's a pensioners, give it a couple of weeks then go on the Batter with it

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I've returned 3 iPhones to their rightful owners this past year alone by calling 'Home' or whatev, and if i found a wallet I'd get it back to the owner (once there was some kinda ID in there or a bank card) but if I found cash it's mine.

No way of being sure who it belongs too, too much hassle with chancers if I advertise it, and IMO Tough Titties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Keep the money, mate.

- You give it to the Gardai and it'll go missing :rolleyes:
    - You ask the neighbours if it's their's 10 of them will say it was :rolleyes:

Keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if its LOADS of money keep it, if its not a lot of money, keep it, if it looks like a weeks wages, maybe try find the owner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Thanks for the feedback.

I went with the majority of the forum's advice & kept it.
    I've already lodged it against my Christmas Credit Card bill.

It was nearly €300 but I couldn't put up with the hassle of advertising the find then having to listen to gougers for the next week.

My conscience is at ease as I know now it's what the majority of the forum would have done.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

While I've no problem with anyone keeping money they've found...
    Rabidlamb wrote: »
    My conscience is at ease as I know now it's what the majority of the forum would have done.

the day I let my consience be effected by people in here is the day i'm done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

dulpit wrote: »
    Pop into the local Garda station and let them know a sum of money was found, I wouldn't hand it in. If there's local businesses/shops nearby, tell them same (obviously not telling them the amount).

If you make a genuine, decent effort over a period of time and nobody claims it, I say enjoy the find.

Exactly what dulpit said, and if the Gardai ask how much or want you hand it in, just decline and leave your number with them. Whoever lost the money will go into the garda station on their own accord and know how much it was.

If they really really insist, just give them a 2 cent coin and say "good luck"

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

I went with the majority of the forum's advice & kept it.
    I've already lodged it against my Christmas Credit Card bill.

It was nearly €300 but I couldn't put up with the hassle of advertising the find then having to listen to gougers for the next week.

Thanks

I'm glad your conscience is clear. Now - the next time you lose a wad of money…remember keepin this money. You have no idea how much someone may have been relying on that money and the difficulty they might have around having lost it.

Just think about it again. And if you still have a clear conscience, then do your own do.

And we wonder why we're living in a world as it is :rolleyes:

(For good measure - "be the change you wish to see in the world")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

uch wrote: »
    I'd put a notice in the local Post office in case it's a pensioners, give it a couple of weeks then go on the Batter with it

Sure arent the pensioners the ones who are loaded these days..... Wouldn't be worrying bout them.... Sure they haven't got long left on this earth anyway!!!
    Good call op.. Spend spend spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

cantdecide wrote: »
    Go to a nearby shop and give it to them in a sealed envelope with the sum written on the outside. Tell them you're going to the Guards to tell them that you've found so much money and you've left it at this shop. That keeps everyone honest and you may well reunite a person more needy of their cash than you.

Or the shop assistant tells their mate to ring the Guards and say they lost x amount of money, did anyone hand it in? Then they go drinking and generally making merry like the OP should have in the first case!

You done the sensible thing - just be thankful for one of lifes little strokes of luck and move on.

Advertisement