Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

and for those of you who wish to start their new years day off right - Griffeen parkrun in Lucan will be having a special new year run on the 1st of Jan @ 09.30 the only one in Dublin...if any boardsies are there on the day stop me and say Hi....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Phoebas wrote: »
    Do Parkruns shut down for Christmas?
    My nearest on is St. Annes and I might feel inclined to do one on St Stephens morning.

Doubt any PBs will be broken.

St Anne's is going ahead on 26th according to Facebook.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    St Anne's is going ahead on 26th according to Facebook.

Father Collins is also on the 26th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Dub13 wrote: »
    Father Collins is also on the 26th.

as is Cabinteely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Great Christmas parkrun at Hartstown despite the weather. Thanks to all the volunteers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Slightly off topic but do you all eat your breakfast before parkrun or wait until after? I've heard stories. of consequences of eating before exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I find i can eat up to an hour before running with no ill effect, i think its a matter of trial and error to see what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

I don't eat anything....maybe 200ml of water/juice....the effort for a 5k is such that I would be risking a stitch if I ate anything beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The Muppet wrote: »
    I find i can eat up to an hour before running with no ill effect, i think its a matter of trial and error to see what works for you.

If you want to run your best, my advice would be to not eat within 3 hours of the run so unless I was up really early then I would just have a coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Gael23 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but do you all eat your breakfast before parkrun or wait until after? I've heard stories. of consequences of eating before exercise.

I get up at 7am then eat a bowl of porridge straight away. I am ok to run 5k at 9.30am then (no stitch or vomiting etc) Most people I know seem to wait until afterwards for breakfast though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I always like a banana before parkrun.

I've read an article that Coffee is supposed to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Caffeine will help longer distances, when fatigue can be a factor, but I don't find much difference in performance taking it before a 5K. It'll most likely kick in when you're driving home. That being said, I have taken pro Plus before 5Ks before, just in case.

As for fasted running, I do it all the time. I never eat before a parkrun. if I was doing an early morning 10K, I might eat a banana or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

Fatigue over 5k IS a factor for some of us!! ;o)

There are probably more important things than pre-run eating and caffeine to concentrate on - like decent training and proper hydration, so as long as your not having a big breakfast just before the run it shouldn't be a huge issue. You also probably don't want to be going for a PB every week, so just do what you would normally do for a training run.

5k should be short enough not to need much to eat beforehand - should be fine to eat nothing on the Saturday morning, but I sometimes go for a small sugar boost shortly before the run, which hopefully peaks blood sugar levels about half an hour later, just in time for that last km!

The science seems to suggest that caffeine can improve performance, but coffee may not be the best way to take it - it contains lots of other active ingredients. It's no longer a restricted substance, but beyond certain dosages it's no longer effective (do your own research / web search if you are interested). It seems to be most effective if taken about an hour and a half before exercise. Pro plus may be more cost effective than energy drinks or gels, but not as cost effective as generic tablets, which are widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Took four little lads to Rush Junior parkrun on Sunday... They loved it, fantastic event, nice little park and very enthusiastic volunteers. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

annapr - its brilliant to hear yours and others on boards feedback on Junior parkrun - as you know the concept is still new to Ireland and i know Matt and Niall would love to hear of your experience , they can be reached @ matt@parkrun.ie and Niall ( the Event Director of Rush Junior parkrun ) @ rush-juniorsoffice@parkrun.com and I know they would be trilled to hear from you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Amigaman wrote: »
    annapr - its brilliant to hear yours and others on boards feedback on Junior parkrun - as you know the concept is still new to Ireland and i know Matt and Niall would love to hear of your experience , they can be reached @ matt@parkrun.ie and Niall ( the Event Director of Rush Junior parkrun ) @ rush-juniorsoffice@parkrun.com and I know they would be trilled to hear from you ...

Thanks! I will get in touch, it was inspiring... Starting to think we could do with one closer to d3!

Limerick not going ahead on Saturday due to flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Any idea when limerick will be starting up, run the bank often enough and I'd say with the Shannon so high could be a while before its ok.

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Any idea when limerick will be starting up, run the bank often enough and I'd say with the Shannon so high could be a while before its ok.

They haven't set a date, just whenever the course is in a suitable state.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    They haven't set a date, just whenever the course is in a suitable state.

Thanks, still waiting to do my first parkrun.registered months ago but closest one is Galway about 35 mins drive there and 35 mins back. In Limerick every other weekend so was hoping to start there. Will have to keep an eye out here.

Thanks, still waiting to do my first parkrun.registered months ago but closest one is Galway about 35 mins drive there and 35 mins back. In Limerick every other weekend so was hoping to start there. Will have to keep an eye out here.

There is one in Ennis that is easily reached from Limerick.

Still a nice round trip for a 5k though...

Worth the effort though. One of the nicest courses I have done.

Knocknacarra in Galway would be another option to consider. I know nothing about the course but it's a handy spin from Limerick

I'm living about 35 mins north of Galway so knocknacarra would be my closest. But I'm in Limerick every other week, wouldn't have to travel to get to it, would actually jog to the boathouse in UL and use it as a warm up, about 2 miles along the bank to my parents. Will have to try Galway too though, make it one of my New Years resolutions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Still a nice round trip for a 5k though...

You also have Clarisford in Killaloe

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

On Friday I slung a bike in the back of the car and drove to Stormont, then cycled to Comber, did the 9:30 parkrun, cycled back and did the 11am parkrun. Timings were a bit tighter than I anticipated - changing gear at each end, but it was still fairly comfortable, though I could have done without the rain on the return cycle. Was good fun - lots of people turned out, including a new record attendance for the north at Stormont - more info on the Stormont parkrun facebook page. Lucky I chose Comber for the first one though as Waterworks was iced off. So far it doesn't seemed to have aggravated my Achilles injury as much as I thought it might - I took it easy and kept the cadence high, but obviously I had to take part in what I think is the first ever parkrun double in Ireland!

Maybe Dublin next year???

ger664 wrote: »
    You also have Clarisford in Killaloe

That might be a good call, thanks Ger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That might be a good call, thanks Ger

Clarisford is nice. That's the main one I do, when I do it! Course is 4 loops of the park, and normally there's about 40 people. It's a fast enough field too. Normally winner is about 17mins or so. Over 25 mins (in my case) and you're in the bottom half!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement