Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

Bizarrely, it appears that a 3 year old would be allowed to run in the senior parkrun, but not in the junior parkrun!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Looking at last week's results we noted that two under 11s were nowhere near a responsible adult. Hard to pick this up at the time, but there it was in the results. Parents of kids under 11 need to understand that they are liable, not parkrun, if something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Looking at last week's results we noted that two under 11s were nowhere near a responsible adult. Hard to pick this up at the time, but there it was in the results. Parents of kids under 11 need to understand that they are liable, not parkrun, if something happens.
    Were the under 11's finished before or after their adult? When we started going to parkrun our fella was under 11. He runs about 5 mins faster than us! We said it to our Parkrun director and he was fine with it, just pointed out that we were responsible for himself. Sometime when the race director does the pre run talk and when he gets to the bit about kids, he looks at us and say "if you can keep up with him!!". There's never been a bother with him on the parkruns.

However I was volunteering one morn and a young fella (probably about 9) was unaccompanied and took a short cut on the course.

They were among the last to finish. I'm only going by results, so they may well have had a parent with them, who didn't cross the line.

A friend of mine at another event, in which there's a trail section, discovered a young kid in tears one morning, about 9 years old. He stopped and spoke to him and they jogged back around to the finish together. As soon as the kid spotted his mates he just took off - no sign of any parents at all.

I'm pretty sure when you register a child, there's a box you, as a parent/guardian, ticks to say you accept liability.

If kids are capable to screaming around in sub 20, and some of them are, no harm - as long as parents understand if things go wrong, there's no comeback. All being well, it'll never be an issue.

I preferred it when I just showed up to run. This run director lark is a headache.

I've seen adults take short cuts too. I mean, they're only kidding themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

A record attendance at Naas parkrun this morning. 183 runners (18 last week!) Great turnout for a week before Christmas. Think it was the promise of cake that attracted the hordes!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

An_Reathai wrote: »
    A record attendance at Naas parkrun this morning. 183 runners (18 last week!) Great turnout for a week before Christmas. Think it was the promise of cake that attracted the hordes!

Newbridge and Naas Fit4Life made it a target race which I think added to the attendance (as well as the promise of cake). I'd say more will participate in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great morning at St. Annes, It's a lovely course , will defo be back a lot more next year, thanks to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

The Muppet wrote: »
    Great morning at St. Annes, It's a lovely course , will defo be back a lot more next year, thanks to all involved.

Glad you enjoyed it, The Muppet! See you again soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am just back form the Junior one in Rush, the 4 kids loved it. 2 of them normally play football on a Sunday so we will do it when we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just back from the junior run too. So well organised with lovely encouraging volunteers. My 4 y.o. loved it, delighted with herself for doing "2 laps!".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Another bunch of parkruns starting in the new year.
    Castlehaven in Cork has some beautiful views of the sea. Definitely one for the tourist.
    Falcarragh in Donegal
    Glengarriff in West Cork.
    Tramore
    All good tourist spots.

Castlehaven came out of the blue. It's really taking off in Cork. Good to see.

Letterkenny is on Facebook too.

Letterkenny is on Facebook too.
    Letterkenny? I thought Parkrun was starting in Falcarragh?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Letterkenny? I thought Parkrun was starting in Falcarragh?

Yes, there too. Letterkenny's Facebook page has only gone up recently, so it will probably be a while before it starts, whereas Falcarragh starts on 9th January.

Co. Donegal parkruns must be like buses!

Donegal a big county so not a surprise that two are starting up - would expect more

That's great that Letterkenny is starting up. Himself is from Donegal and I asked him last night was Falcarragh far away from his parents house and he says it's the best part of an hour. Himself said Letterkenny would be doable for us if there was one, the Parkrun gods must have heard us talking!

Anyone on here going to the Euros by the way - Bordeaux looking at starting a parkrun, hopefully be set up by June 18 of next year. The only parkrun in France isn't that far outside Bordeaux, but it looks quite remote.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

One of the kids just asked me if the junior parkruns count towards there To Shirt...? You know what kids are like they are dying to get them, they have 4 or 5 adult runs done and one junior. I presume they count...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Dub13 wrote: »
    One of the kids just asked me if the junior parkruns count towards there To Shirt...? You know what kids are like they are dying to get them, they have 4 or 5 adult runs done and one junior. I presume they count...?

Nope, the junior runs don't count towards the tshirts.

They count towards a completely separate award of the Half/ Full/ Ultra marathon wrist bands. (which adults will never be able to get, so they will beat you on that if that helps with appeasement)
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/news/2014/05/13/junior-parkrun-newsletter-14-may-2014/

Volunteering at Junior events does count towards the regular volunteer tshirts though.

Does anyone know if you can take part in a Parkrun in the UK? Can you use your barcode that you use in Ireland? Does it count towards your Parkrun record?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can take part in a Parkrun in the UK? Can you use your barcode that you use in Ireland? Does it count towards your Parkrun record?

Yes, he said yes, it will yes

Same barcode works anywhere in the world - I've run in Ireland, the UK, Denmark and New Zealand with the same barcode - they all count towards your record

Thanks all. Have only started Parkrun in the latter half of this year and only in one location (so far...) Going to the UK for a long weekend early next year but on reflection I'm not sure I can drag the hubbie and son out of bed early on their holiday for a Parkrun and get them away from the breakfast buffet!! But may pack the barcodes and running gear just in case...

Parkrun tourism is good fun. It has helped me see more of Ireland over the last couple of years and visit places I'd never have visited otherwise. Bere Island for example

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Do Parkruns shut down for Christmas?
    My nearest on is St. Annes and I might feel inclined to do one on St Stephens morning.

Doubt any PBs will be broken.

Best to check each event's own web page or social media. Some do extra events on Christmas Day and Jan 1. From this http://www.parkrun.ie/stannes/news/ it appears St Annes is on Dec 26 at the usual time

For those in the Dublin area, Hartstown and Waterstown both on Dec 25. No better way to start the day
    http://www.parkrun.ie/christmas-compendium/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Some are on Christmas Day but not that many

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement