Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Perhaps Sloane Stephens will end her career as "that girl that beat Serena in the Australian Open one time". Who knows!

And Sabine got a win today!:) Happy with that; she'll play either Cibulkova or Tsurenko next.

RE: Connors/Evert thing....very personal thing to reveal about someone, especially if they didn't know it'd be in the book. If someone did that to me I'd kill him!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yet another first round exit for Wozniacki

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Uh-oh. Sloane Stephens "blasts" Serena Williams apparently:
    http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/04/sloane-stephens-serena-williams-2/

Bit of a verbal diarrhea moment from Sloane. She might live to regret it. Dying to see them play each other now!:D

Any time I've been at a tournament, neither Serena nor Venus have stopped to sign autographs. They're not gonna change now.

As if we need more proof that Bernard Tomic's dad is a crazy...he goes and headbutts his son's practice partner and is now in custody in Madrid.

*slow sarcastic clapping*

This guy needs some serious anger management. Reminds me of Jim Pierce and how nutty he was. If John Tomic is found guilty, Bernie could be done for the season. But don't quote me on that, read it on Twitter so could be a lie for all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's conflicting reports on it. His hitting partner was definitely "assaulted" outside the hotel they're staying in, but some people are saying they saw a guy being arrested and it wasn't John Tomic. Others are saying it was.

Whoever it was is due in court in the morning, so we'll know for sure then.

Yeah, loads of different reports. One Aussie site said it was John who attacked Drouet and that it stemmed from an altercation between father and son in Monte Carlo last week.:confused:

Between Jimmy Connors' book, Sloane's comments and The Tomics, tennis is making all sorts of news! May not be for good reasons though....

I read one report that the guy that got beaten up had been arguing with John Tomic since Monte Carlo over him actually hitting Bernie. Bernie has apparently said that he was there when it happened and it's "a f**ked up situation" and that he hasn't seen his dad since it happened.

I feel quite sorry for him. I know he's a but of a tit at times but his dad's behaviour has always been questionable and we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Best thing for Bernie would be to cut all ties.

Same report I read. I do feel sorry for Bernie. Can't be easy on him, especially when he seemed to have been getting himself together. Just needs to get away from his dad for a while. And think about employing a new coach.

On Sky Sports earlier Miles Maclagan referred to John as a "strong personality" i.e. mad as a box of frogs!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Djokovic out....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Djokovic out....

can't believe it... stopped watching after the Tb :mad:

Such a horrible crowd. Djokovic shouted "Suck my ****" at them at one point. :)

Such a horrible crowd. Djokovic shouted "Suck my ****" at them at one point. :)

Seriously!!!:eek: Crowd must have be awful so. Rare that Djokovic loses his cool that bad! Only saw bits of the match...hope they'll show highlights of it tomorrow.

He shouted it in Serbian after he won the 2nd set. Crowd were whistling and booing him from the MTO he took for his ankle.

Wow! Crowd seem pretty crappy. Almost like something you'd have at Roland Garros.

BTW, John Tomic has been banned from all ATP tournaments until further notice. Source

RosyLily wrote: »
    Wow! Crowd seem pretty crappy. Almost like something you'd have at Roland Garros.

BTW, John Tomic has been banned from all ATP tournaments until further notice. Source

Excellent news, hopefully this'll help Bernard. Sure how could he properly focus on his tennis with a lunatic like that for a father.

Great to see Dimitrov take out Djokovic! This is exactly what Dimitrov needs, he had yet to have that big win. Also I'm not a huge fan of Djokovic, and it's quite right the crowd boo him for taking a timeout. Hate those tactics.

The WTA need to ban Tomic as well before he gets any notions about switching to the younger sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bykobap

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Sloane Stephens is nothing but the next Melanie Oudin. It's not like she had a series of amazing wins to reach the SF of the AO, only a sup par Serena. I mean Jovanovski took her to a 7-5 third set. Her over inflated ego is getting in her way too. I can see her falling from the top 30 by YE.

Madison Keys is the next big American youngster. Her game is massive and she doesn't appear to be a choker yet anyway.

• Advertisement

Federer going to lose a lot of ranking points this week...

Federer going to lose a lot of ranking points this week...

Ferrer could over take him for #3 during Rome, depending on how they do. :eek:

Ferrer could over take him for #3 during Rome, depending on how they do. :eek:
    They both have 360 points to defend in Rome so Federer would have to lose early and Ferrer get to at least the final. However Ferrer is only defending 180 points this week so if he could get over Nadal tomorrow he should perhaps get to at least the final and depending who he meets from the other half he could pick up the 1000 points on offer. There would then be less than 100 between them but Nadal is the big hurdle..

Will Sharapova finally get the elusive win against Serena tomorrow?!

Will Sharapova finally get the elusive win against Serena tomorrow?!

Ehhh, no! She couldn't do it. Serena won 6-1, 6-4.

At this stage I reckon Maria will never again beat Serena. Just one of those people she can't get one over.

Her last chance (albeit very small chance) is at Roland-Garros I reckon. All she can hope for is that the crowd turn against Serena and they get in her head. Apart from that, like you say it'll probably never happen. Quoting from an article I read on Tennis.com here, but it really is amazing how a player that relies so much on intimidating her opponent can be so easily intimidated by Serena.

Nadal wins Madrid against Wawrinka as expected. Stan now return to the top ten. Good for him, he's been playing really well this year. Also he pushed out Tipsarevic which is always a good thing :D

Meanwhile, I read an article today where Nadal insisted he's not the favourite to win Roland-Garros. I mean, come on :rolleyes:

Serena just has a hold over Maria. Intimidates her like nobody else. Kinda reminds me of Coach Klein & Coach Red from The Waterboy!:p Just picture her as a cute puppy Maria!!:D

I'd favour Nadal for Roland Garros as well. He's a beast on the French clay. Delighted to see Stan back in the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Meanwhile, I read an article today where Nadal insisted he's not the favourite to win Roland-Garros. I mean, come on :rolleyes:

If Novak is fully fit I will back him to beat Nadal. He has Nadal's number. I hope they both progress to the stage where they meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Laura robson beat Venus Williams in the first round in Rome and now plays serena.

• Advertisement

In irrelevant tennis news... I really like Roger's haircut!

Advertisement