Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Trust Serena to turn it on at the last minute. She's been dire up until this match. Poor Masha, this will be her 5th Miami final, I think. Last year was he chance to win it when she played Aga but she blew it.

She's been playing pretty poor this tournament too. She can't beat Serena when she's on top form, she definitely can't do it when she's DFing in double figures.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Trust Serena to turn it on at the last minute. She's been dire up until this match. Poor Masha, this will be her 5th Miami final, I think. Last year was he chance to win it when she played Aga but she blew it.

She's been playing pretty poor this tournament too. She can't beat Serena when she's on top form, she definitely can't do it when she's DFing in double figures.

Maria was pretty impressive against Jankovic though! Although it doesn't matter, she's never going to beat Serena again, is she. I think I'd be happy is she just took a set off Serena, or maybe even more than 4 games in a set.

Poor Tommy Haas. So close but didn't quite get there. Surely he did enough for someone to nab a clothing sponsorship off someone.

Maria v Serena is pretty intense, as usual. Maria playing exceptionally well. Has broken Serena for the first time since Madrid last year. Can she keep it up though? Probably not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Impressed with Maria so far. First time she's taken a set off Serena since Charleston in 2008. Hope she can keep it up and win her first Miami title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Maria's on fire!!

This is insanely good tennis from Maria. I want her to win Miami so bad, and to beat Serena so bad!!! I think I'm going to be sick.

And that's that.

Maria's on fire!!
    This is insanely good tennis from Maria. I want her to win Miami so bad, and to beat Serena so bad!!! I think I'm going to be sick.
    RosyLily wrote: »
    Impressed with Maria so far. First time she's taken a set off Serena since Charleston in 2008. Hope she can keep it up and win her first Miami title.

I think we jinxed her.:(

She played amazing for the first set and a bit then dropped her level a little. Sooo close!!! There's always next year Masha.

Next year? I dunno, I'd say it's written in the stars for Maria: she simply cannot win Miami! :p

Today was unbelievable though, to think after going up a break in the second set she didn't win another game? Incredible.

Do you think today was the death knell in terms of Maria ever being able to beat Serena? Or does it have to happen sometime?

• Advertisement

Next year? I dunno, I'd say it's written in the stars for Maria: she simply cannot win Miami! :p

Today was unbelievable though, to think after going up a break in the second set she didn't win another game? Incredible.

Do you think today was the death knell in terms of Maria ever being able to beat Serena? Or does it have to happen sometime?

Ahhh, bitta reverse psychology there eh? I see what you're doing!!:pac:

Maria hasn't beaten Serena in 9 years. I don't think she'll beat her again...but I'll be delighted if she did.

Men's singles and women's doubles finals today. If Andy wins, he'll become No.2. I'd like to see a good match. Both Andy & David are 6 all in their H2H. Last time they played on a hard-court was at the 2011 Tour Finals; Ferrer won that in straights.

Laura Robson is in the doubles final with Lisa Raymond. Managed to beat the No.1 seeds Errani/Vinci in less than an hour in the SFs. They'll play Petrova & Srebotnik later.

Murray vs Ferrer was a God awful **** fest. The British press are of course calling it an epic battle and all that usual nonsense. If that had been the WTA final it'd be getting so much abuse in the press.

What an idiot move from Ferrer stopping play on MP to challenge a ball that was clearly in. Andy got very lucky.

All in all Miami was a pretty awful event this year. I'd say honestly that the first set and a half of the women's final was the only decent bit of tennis of the whole two weeks.

Roll on clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted that screaming irritant, Sharapova, lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Murray vs Ferrer was a God awful **** fest. The British press are of course calling it an epic battle and all that usual nonsense. If that had been the WTA final it'd be getting so much abuse in the press.

What an idiot move from Ferrer stopping play on MP to challenge a ball that was clearly in. Andy got very lucky.
    Woah, that's fairly harsh. Ok, the standard wasn't brilliant but it was an exciting match with the fact that neither player was serving well making it really unpredictable.

Also the ball wasn't 'clearly in' on match point. It barely caught the back of the line. It was just about in. Ferrer was cramping up something awful at that stage so you can forgive him for convincing himself that it had just gone long.

That's more than barely catching the back of the line.

BGuMUGpCMAEcsB8.jpg:large

To be fair I'd say that that's worth a challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

God bless your eyesight if you were certain that was in. I watched it when it was on and the commentators were both unsure if it was in or out. That to me is a very close call.

How many matches has Sloane actually won since the Australian Open? Two or three? Really hope she picks up again soon.
    Sabine Lisicki continues to be the one of the biggest question marks on tour. Winning her opening match in Charleston with a double-bagel, then losing in the next round to someone who's been a professional player less than a year.

Ivanovic also won 6-0 6-0 in R1 in Monterrey, then lost her R2 match to someone she should have easily beaten. It's a funny old sport.

Now you mention Ana Ivanovic, I'd like to ask something about her. I didn't actually follow tennis when Ana was at her best back in 2008, so I'd like to know why you think she went in that big slump and never recovered? I know obviously she struggled with the pressure of being a first time slam winner and of course getting to #1, which is understandable, but why did she never recover? Did the pressure affect her game permanently, or was it that the game simply moved on, thus she was never able to catch up again? And did she only get to #1 and win a slam in the first place because of the weakness of the tour at the time?

• Advertisement

It's probably a combination of all of the above. She was a really good player. The year she won RG she had been in the Aus Open final too, where she lost to Sharapova. She beat the then #3 Kuznetsova, #2 Sharapova to make the RG final in 2007, made the SF on Wimbledon that year too. So it wasn't a lack of quality on the tour that got her a GS.

I think it was the pressure and attention after she won that affected her, as it does a lot of players. She just really fell off the map and struggled to recover. Also after a bit of a bad patch post GS win she dropped her coach and was in that Adidas Player Development program, which is a terrible idea as far as I'm concerned. Fine for up and coming players but not established players. That didn't last too long but her performances dropped her out of the top 50 which made her draws at big events pretty tough, so her bad results continued.

Serbian press are pretty harsh on their athletes too. They're worse than the British and Americans. Win something and you're idolized, but lose, or start to struggle a little and they tear you to shreds, which probably didn't help her either.

She'll be working with Nigel Sears 2 years come this summer and I think he's worked wonders with her but I am starting to wonder is this as much as he can do for her. She's gotten super fit and lost a lot of weight, too much some might say. She's sorted out her mental state a lot. She was really bad when he started working with her. Calling him on court nearly every change over, looking to her box after every point. She's really gotten away from that now.

I think it's still a mental thing though with her. This recent loss was a bit of a shock, but everyone has their bad days, but it's her results against the players above her that are cause for concern. She never even comes close. When she's playing well she should be able to at least put it up to the likes of Kvitova, Wozniacki etc. but she never seems to perform when it matters. Which to me says it's still her mental state that needs to be improved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

She's an odd one that Ana. I think she still plays fairly well. She has this fiery, swing for the fences style to her that makes her fun to watch.

When you consider how well she can hit the ball I'm surprised she's ranked where she is these days. But I wouldn't analyse women's tour too much. Its all over the place really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

She's gotten super fit and lost a lot of weight, too much some might say.

Too true, not as attractive as she was tbh.

Thanks for the responses, very interesting. In the (very unlikely) event that Ana starts playing at her peak again, how far do you reckon it'd take her? Think she'd be able to challenge the top 3? Her forehand is pretty awesome when it's on.

Venus is through to the semis in Charleston, looks like we'll have our first Serena-Venus match since 2009. It will also be just their third match on clay, and first since the FO final back in 2002!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

The Venus/Serena match was very disappointing. I'm not a fan of either of them to be honest but it's always fun to see them go at it given their legacy and. Venus only managed 3 games and it was difficult to watch at times. (Serena went on to win Charleston against Jankovic, of course.)

And as for Ana, I don't think she will ever hit the heights of winning the French Open again. As good as her forehand is, her play is too erratic too often. She just doesn't have the mental strength. (Dinara Safina also had a similar fall from grace after winning the French Open)

The same goes for a lot of the players on the tour too. So so many great ball strikers and stylish players who just didn't have the mental strength. Remember Patty Schnyder in her glory days? She was a joy to watch and could play every shot in the book but was so self destructive on court (her INSANE husband didn't help matters either)

Anyway. Definitely looking forward to Monte Carlo next. One of my favourite tournaments of the year and it officially rings in the men's clay court season. Hard to bet against Nasal winning it and insane 9th time in a row!

And as for Ana, I don't think she will ever hit the heights of winning the French Open again. As good as her forehand is, her play is too erratic too often. She just doesn't have the mental strength. (Dinara Safina also had a similar fall from grace after winning the French Open)
    !

Safina never won the French Open, or any other Grand Slam. She was the original Wozniacki, #1 but never won a slam. Unfortunately her back injury made sure she never will. :(

Monte Carlo will be interesting, especially considering Djokovic twisted his ankle pretty bad in the first set of his Davis Cup match today. Had to be helped back to his chair, got it taped up and played on for 4 sets. Won it in the end clinching the tie but can't have done it a lot of good. We'll have to wait and see how it is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Unfortunately her back injury made sure she never will. :(

That and chocolate.

Safina never won the French Open, or any other Grand Slam. She was the original Wozniacki, #1 but never won a slam. Unfortunately her back injury made sure she never will. :(

Monte Carlo will be interesting, especially considering Djokovic twisted his ankle pretty bad in the first set of his Davis Cup match today. Had to be helped back to his chair, got it taped up and played on for 4 sets. Won it in the end clinching the tie but can't have done it a lot of good. We'll have to wait and see how it is.

Safina's fall from grace really was quite spectacular. Her last grand slam match being that bagel loss to Clijsters.

Speaking of falls from grace, Vera Zvonareva is now ranked #222. If she doesn't play some matches before the Olympics points drop she no longer will have a ranking. I wonder is a retirement imminent? She doesn't really have anything left to give.

Zvonareva has had illness/injury problems since this time last year. She had surgery on her shoulder not that long ago. But yeah, she's at an age where she's going to find it extremely hard to come back. She hasn't played since August (I think?) so she should have protected ranking whenever she does get back on court, so at least she won't have to play qualifiers for the bigger events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

My apologies! Safina was indeed just a finalist a couple of times.

I would imagine Zvonereva will retire, it must be difficult going from no. 2 to possibly not being ranked at all in the space of a couple of years. Although who knows, stranger things have happened in the women's game. She is a quality player and it only takes a good run at a couple of premier events and a grand slam to get you back into the top 20.

Any predictions on Monte Carlo? Draw isn't out yet of course but its hard to bet against Nadal. I hope Djokovics' twisted ankle won't be an issue, I imagine he would have retired from his match if it was a genuine risk to the next few months, he has a lot of points to defend from a final appearances at Rome and Paris.

It is scary to think that Nadal is ranked No.4 and has absolutely zero points to defend after Wimbledon...

Advertisement