Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Nadal beats Berdych 6/4 7/5....A bit surprised that Nadal has reached the final in indian well. Did very well in his previous 250 & 500 tournaments but back with the big boys in this 1000 series and he has done very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Yeah I'm surprised he has done so well. Interesting parallel with the womans game, when Serena Williams first came back after her really long injury and was really successful, everyone said that it showed the lack of strength and depth that existed in the mens game and that it would never happen in the mens game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

VAMOS DELPO!!!

Just hope he can take out Nadal tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

VAMOS DELPO!!!

Just hope he can take out Nadal tomorrow.

Delighted for him! Didn't get to see the match but was following the score, assumed when Delpo was down 0-3 in the final set that it was all over. Like you, I really hope he can beat Nadal, would love to see Delpo become a major force on the tour again :) He'll probably feel pretty pissed if he doesn't beat Rafa considering he's just back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Fantastic stuff from Delpo!!! Thought he might be toast in the 3rd set but he managed to claw his way back into the match. I hope this is the start of a resurgence for the Argentine. He deserves it. Can't believe he's never won a Masters title!:eek:

Bryan Brothers claimed their first Indian Wells doubles title, defeating Treat Huey & Jerzy Janowicz 6-3, 3-6, 10-6. It's their 22nd Masters title & their 4th of the 2013 season. Makarova & Vesnina won the women's doubles; they beat Petrova & Srebotnik 6-0, 5-7, 10-6.

The women's final is on Eurosport at 7pm and men's final coverage begins at 9pm on Sky Sports. Hoping for Sharapova & del Potro wins.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Fantastic result from Nadal. 1 final and 3 titles in 4 tournaments after a 7 months away from the courts!

First hard title since Tokyo 2010.

Well done!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So disappointed for Delpo, but well done to Rafa I guess.

No excuse for him not to play a full schedule now though!

Never mind Delpo, I still loves ya!!:pac:

Looks like Nadal has pulled out of Miami (Source). Probably wary of playing hard-courts 2 weeks in a row. I expect him to play for the full clay season though!

Easy win for Sharapova. The trophy looks impossibly heavy!!

I couldn't tell if Woz was playing awful tennis or Maria was just blowing her off the court. I'd like to think it was the latter. I'm delighted for Maria, I'd preferred to see her win Miami to be honest, she's never won it, but with Serena and presumably Vika back on form there it's not likely.

Delpo played sooooo well until that one game in the 2nd set allowed Rafa to get the break back and it was just enough to give Rafa the edge. I guess it's nice for Rafa and all that, but as someone pointed out, the women's game was lambasted for allowing Serena to just stroll right back into the winners circle after her layoff. Rafa's just getting endless praise for doing the same thing. Double standards are ridiculous in tennis.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Never mind Delpo, I still loves ya!!:pac:

Looks like Nadal has pulled out of Miami (Source). Probably wary of playing hard-courts 2 weeks in a row. I expect him to play for the full clay season though!

Easy win for Sharapova. The trophy looks impossibly heavy!!

Oh dear, Miami on the mens side next week is looking a bit crap, no Fed or Nadal. I guess Djokovic will defend his title, but here's hoping Delpo can do it!

I will have zero interest if it's a Djokovic-Murray final -_-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

8568272730_c095b7cf2d_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

Well, I wasn't on here last week but was thrilled by Delpo's run. He's probably my favourite player after Hewitt and it was great to see him play such well measured, intelligent tennis (even if his use of the slice was mainly brought about by his wrist injury).

While Delpo will be looking at cracking the top 5 ranking spots, fellow Argie Juan Monaco could plummet in the rankings this week. He made it inside the top 10 last year but hasn't won a match outside of the Davis Cup yet this year. He has been struggling with a hand injury though. He's currently ranked 15 in the world and plays Albert Ramos this week. He has semi final points to defend this week and then 250 points to defend in Houston.

Azarenka has withdrawn from Sony Open due to a right ankle injury. She was due to play Madison Keys in the 2nd round. Lauren Davis takes her place in the draw.

Azarenka has withdrawn from Sony Open due to a right ankle injury. She was due to play Madison Keys in the 2nd round. Lauren Davis takes her place in the draw.

And is currently kicking Key's bum! 6-1 in the 1st set, 5-5 in the 2nd. :eek:

And is currently kicking Key's bum! 6-1 in the 1st set, 5-5 in the 2nd. :eek:

And Davis has won it! 6-1, 5-7, 7-6. Nearly a 3 hour match! If only it was live on tv. Trying to find a decent stream that doesn't crash is time-consuming!:p

If Laura Robson can find her form again then she's got a super chance of reaching the Miami quarter-finals.

Also, remember the 16-year-old that Kim Clijsters beat in R1 of the US Open last August, Victoria Duval? Well she's been given a wildcard into Miami and beat Andrea Hlavackova in the first round. An excellent win, I'd always hoped we'd hear more from her :)

James Blake had a good win over Julien Benneteau, won 6-2, 6-3. Nice to see him get a win under his belt. Popular with fans. He'll play Albert Ramos in the 3rd round.

James McGee had a great run in Canada this week. Playing a challenger with some relatively big names in it. Lost to Vasek Pospisil in the QF today. Pospisil was serving for the match in the 2nd set but McGee hung on and won it on a TB. Was down 4-1 in the 3rd but managed to come back in that too, but eventually lost it 7-5.

Seen his tweet. Apparently he's off to Guadeloupe now. Would love to see him do well on the Challenger. Maybe get a WC for Wimbledon...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Typical DelPo :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

After a huge rain delay play finally got back underway about an hour ago, and then all the lights went out. Miami really losing this imaginary competition with IW this year.

Another early loss for Wozniacki, to Muguruza this time.

Holy crap Kvitova was bagelled by Flipkens in the first set:eek:

Haas beat Djokovic... WOW! Wish I could have seen the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

Tommy Haas has always been one of the greatest ball strikers around. If not for injuries and the fact that he's a bit of a headcase who knows.. but to beat the world number 1 at 35 years old, that's fantastic stuff from a sublime player!

James McGee's match with Sergiy Stakhovsky was rained off until today with James serving at 3-4, 30-15.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Tommy is such a f***ing boss!:D He's always been one of my favourites and hope he goes on to win loads this year!

Also, Tommy is the best player to watch if you need help developing your strokes. His game is near flawless; he's like some sort of tennis robot!:pac:

Haas beat Djokovic... WOW! Wish I could have seen the match.

Here you go:

Great stuff from Haas! Even if the result messes with my predictions.:( I'd love to see him win it.

Anyone see that spinning shot from Radwanska last night? Amazing!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Not that impressive really, it was a fluke if anything. At the very end she even shakes her head and holds up her hands as if apologising.

She just stuck the racquet out on impulse. But I suppose you have to do that sometimes too. Just stick it out there and see what happens!

Funnily enough, its quite similar to another hot shot from a couple weeks back:

Great stuff from Haas! Even if the result messes with my predictions.:( I'd love to see him win it.

Anyone see that spinning shot from Radwanska last night? Amazing!!

That was class! I think my favourite thing about it though was Flipkens "Wtf!" reaction :D

That was class! I think my favourite thing about it though was Flipkens "Wtf!" reaction :D

I thought she was actually annoyed about it at the time, but the WTA tweeted the video of it afterwards and she replied to them that she was happy to be a part of it and that they had been practicing it before the match :D So I guess it was just shock on her face :)

• Advertisement

Serena destroys Aga 6-0 6-3. Serena hit more winners than Aga won points! Would love for the final on Saturday to even be somewhat competitive, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up! :(

Advertisement