Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ She's a moron.

Did you read the full Rolling Stone article? It's so random and full of bull. The writer spends the whole thing basically kissing Serena's feet and randomly dissing Sharapova at every opportunity. It really is a pointless article and then they throw in the rape comments at the end. I know if you're a journo and someone says that to you you're going to print it, but it seems very much like a publicity thing to get attention for the article.

Regardless of that Serena is going to be in a load of hot water, over the rape comments, and over the other apparent digs at Sharapova and Dimitrov.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

^ She's a moron.

Did you read the full Rolling Stone article? It's so random and full of bull. The writer spends the whole thing basically kissing Serena's feet and randomly dissing Sharapova at every opportunity. It really is a pointless article and then they throw in the rape comments at the end. I know if you're a journo and someone says that to you you're going to print it, but it seems very much like a publicity thing to get attention for the article.

Regardless of that Serena is going to be in a load of hot water, over the rape comments, and over the other apparent digs at Sharapova and Dimitrov.

Very disappointing comments from Serena. But she's apologised:
    http://serenawilliams.com/blog/statement-2/ so I guess it'll all blow over now. I must say though, I highly enjoyed the Rolling Stone article!

Kuznetsova has pulled out of Wimbledon :( Zakapolova replaces her as a seed.

Wimbledon seeds were released today. Rafa not bumped up to #4, not a surprise really, lost in R2 last year, Ferrer was QF.

Quite a few changes in the other brackets of seeds.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I can't really work out who the digs are aimed at though, most people are assuming Sharapova, but I'm not sure. She mentioned about how she "still doesn't get invited to the cool parties", that confused me a bit.. I imagine Sharapova very much gets invited to all the "cool parties"! Otherwise she could be talking about Azarenka, but they seem to get on so I'm not sure really. Perhaps the journalist mistook someone else for a top 5 player? Perhaps she was talking about Wozniacki?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I can't really work out who the digs are aimed at though, most people are assuming Sharapova, but I'm not sure. She mentioned about how she "still doesn't get invited to the cool parties", that confused me a bit.. I imagine Sharapova very much gets invited to all the "cool parties"! Otherwise she could be talking about Azarenka, but they seem to get on so I'm not sure really. Perhaps the journalist mistook someone else for a top 5 player? Perhaps she was talking about Wozniacki?

Serena seems genuinely friendly with Azarenka and Wozniacki so I don't think it's about them.
    And mistaking Wozniacki for a top 5 player is a crime against tennis. If it is about Woz, the journalistic should be fired immediately. :)

The interview took place back in March, at which point Maria wasn't openly discussing her relationship, so I don't see how the "I'm so happy" comments could be attributed to her?

The fact that the article was edited quite recently (includes Serena winning RG) could mean that the interviewer put 2 and 2 together himself with the newer information we have and decided it was Sharapova.

I don't think Sharapova would give a stuff about "cool parties" anyway? It could be Azarenka? She seems like the kind of person who wants to be friends with everyone but probably isn't that liked. Plus Red Foo probably does have a black heart.

The fact that the article makes multiple random digs at Sharapova implies the writer himself has issues with her, so it's not surprising he'd stick that in even if he didn't know who she was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Rumour has it Radek Stepanek has divorced Nicole Vaidisova. And he's dating Petra Kvitova. The man's a huge hit with the ladies!:p

Edit: I've read the Rolling Stone article. I agree, it really seems that the writer has issues with Sharapova.:confused:

RosyLily wrote: »
    Rumour has it Radek Stepanek has divorced Nicole Vaidisova. And he's dating Petra Kvitova. The man's a huge hit with the ladies!:p

Rumour has it that you just took that story from tennisforum ;)

Stepanek confirmed his marriage is over. Kvitova confirmed she's broken up with her boy toy. Neither one will comment on the other rumour. It's, quite frankly, icky.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The man's a huge hit with the ladies!:p

You girls are seriously strange :D

Edit: I've read the Rolling Stone article. I agree, it really seems that the writer has issues with Sharapova.:confused:
    I think a lot of Americans do tbh, because she dares to represent her homeland rather than 'Murica :rolleyes::rolleyes:

woopah92 wrote: »
    Rumour has it that you just took that story from tennisforum ;)

I, uh, don't know what you're talking about. (Damn he knows my sources!)
    You girls are seriously strange :D

I'm sure he's lovely but he wouldn't be my first choice tbh. (I'm sure he's devastated about that!:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There's a documentary on Andy Murray tonight at 2225 hrs on BBC1. Follows him on and off the court and looks at his efforts to get to the top.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I hope BBC or Eurosport will be showing the Rally for Cancer afterwards. Would love to see Lendl play.

I know it's a bit late now, but "Venus and Serena" a short documentary about their lives from 2010/2012ish was on earlier. It should be available on BBC iPlayer. My god, when they're gone there will be a huge void in womens tennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Following on from the Wimbledon thread, how do people see the hard court season going?

I'm most interested in what sort of nadal turns up...,

Following on from the Wimbledon thread, how do people see the hard court season going?

There's only 4 1000 events and a slam left. Hard courts for all as far as I know. It makes for great viewing IMO. Glad I have sky sports. In best of 3 sets I think it's anyone's tournament as regards the top 4-5 players. Nobody outside the top 5 has won a 1000 event this year, or since 2010. The end of year event is the big one of the 1000 events. The one to win. I think Andy or Novak will win the remaining titles, including the U.S Open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

Shockingly for Fed the question is how will the remainder of the clay court season go. He has signed up to play two clay court events, Hamburg and gstaad I think. No doubt he's doing it for extra ranking points as he is now ranked no. 5 with Olympic points still to fall off.

The only reason he chose clay instead of hard court IMO is he wants to stay close to home before he heads over to America for the hard court events.

As for Nadal, He rarely does well in the second half of the season as the courts are much faster, I don't expect much success for him this year either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

The masters events have been great for the last few years, fed will still be dangerous in best of 3 imo.

Anybody think delpo or maybe janowicz can crash the party?

On form I'd be tempted to have a small wager on delpo for one of the masters events, maybe even the us open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

After seeing Del Potro against Djokovic I think it's safe to say he's back to his best.Can definitely see him challenging Novak and Murray in the big tourney's.His wrist seem's fine and his knee dosen't look a worry.

Fed and Nadal will be interesting,Two all time great's under pressure to show they still have it.I wouldn't agree that Nadal has a poor second half as he's finished runner-up and winner of the last two US Open's he's played in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Shockingly for Fed the question is how will the remainder of the clay court season go. He has signed up to play two clay court events, Hamburg and gstaad I think. No doubt he's doing it for extra ranking points as he is now ranked no. 5 with Olympic points still to fall off.

The only reason he chose clay instead of hard court IMO is he wants to stay close to home before he heads over to America for the hard court events
    Actually, I've been wondering has he made a decision about his future since those events were announced. Those two tournaments have been big in Federer's career, Hamburg back when it was a Masters event, and Gstaad was the first ATP event to give Federer a wildcard entry. They are two tournaments that he might feel a sentimental urge to play once more before ending (or at least severely curtailing) his career.

It was great to see Delpo back to his best at Wimbledon. Always enjoy watching him play; that forehand is massive! Hope he can challenge for the remaining Masters titles and U.S. Open. Crazy to think he has never won a 1000 event!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

walshb wrote: »
    There's only 4 1000 events and a slam left. Hard courts for all as far as I know. It makes for great viewing IMO. Glad I have sky sports. In best of 3 sets I think it's anyone's tournament as regards the top 4-5 players. Nobody outside the top 5 has won a 1000 event this year, or since 2010. The end of year event is the big one of the 1000 events. The one to win. I think Andy or Novak will win the remaining titles, including the U.S Open.
    Does anyone know where they can watch these if they don't have sky sports?

Go to the ATP website. They have live streams.

I strongly recommend getting Sky Sports just for the month of the US Open. I've done it the last two years, only €34 for the month, well worth it for Sky's comprehensive coverage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

walshb wrote: »
    Go to the ATP website. They have live streams.

Cheaper than Sky too ...........
    I strongly recommend getting Sky Sports just for the month of the US Open. I've done it the last two years, only €34 for the month, well worth it for Sky's comprehensive coverage :)
    .... of course, I could always try the 'I'm cancelling my subscription' line, they usually offer half price for your current service and a reduction on sky sports. :pac:

Thanks for the replies!

Sharapova has parted ways with Thomas Hogstedt! Quite surprising.

Anyone else having serious tennis withdrawal symptons?!

Interesting to see Federer playing both Hamburg and Gstaad this month, he's obviously just doing it for the points. I'll be a little worried about him if he doesn't win these tournaments to be honest!

• Advertisement

Maria Sharapova has announced that Jimmy Connors is her new coach! I'm surprised by this pairing but really interested to see how it works out. Connors was Roddick's coach for a while.

Yesterday it was rumoured that Larry Stepanki was going to join her team, who also coached Roddick.

Advertisement