Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Would they see each other that much? Both should be travelling all over the world competing and whatnot. Anyway, I digress!

If only she would get rid of Piotr Wozniacki. Not many dads can do the father-coach thing properly. Mary Pierce's dad = bad! Richard Williams = good.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

God , Nadal seems to be back ... what a disaster ... hopefully it will be only for the dirty clay - suits him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

When do the seeds usually begin play at Indian can anyone remember? Friday/Saturday perhaps?

Not sure. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday? The draw will be released later tonight....looking forward to seeing if there'll be any good match-ups.

Rafa has confirmed he'll play Indian Wells this week. Li Na & Serena Williams are not included on the player's list.

Roger & Vika are the defending champions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

No surprise Serena isn't there, she never plays it. Li Na still bothered by the ankle injury she got in Australia.

Gossip flying about that Rory and Woz are on the rocks. He walked off the course after 8 holes at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Potential QF between Nadal & Federer at Indian Wells. It will be interesting to see how Nadal plays on the hard-court. Federer hasn't played in a bit. Since Rotterdam? Can't remember the last time these two played a quarter! Hard to know whether it would be a good match.

Isner-Hewitt could be one to look out for, as would Tomic-Gasquet. Dimitrov-Djokovic in R3 could be a fun match.

The Women's draw has a few ones to look out for. Possible QFs: Azarenka-Wozniacki, Kerber-Stosur, Radwanska-Kvitova, Errani-Sharapova. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that we'll only see 4 or 5 of these women in the quarters.:p

EDIT: 1,000 post!!! YEAAA!!:D:D Kinda wish I said something more insightful or important....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

RosyLily wrote: »
    Federer hasn't played in a bit. Since Rotterdam?

Eh no... dubai last week actually;)

Eh no... dubai last week actually;)

Woops!:o Keep losing track of tournament times.

Sky Sports are starting their Indian Wells coverage tonight. Roger & Rafa are up tonight. Azarenka should be on later tonight; she's playing Hantuchova.

Looking forward to Isner-Hewitt. Hope Sky show it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

3rd consecutive early loss for Sloane, hope she picks up again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Good win for Wozniacki yesterday but she wont beat anyone of the better players and she still needs to get a new coach and sort her game out.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Good win for Wozniacki yesterday but she wont beat anyone of the better players and she still needs to get a new coach and sort her game out.

I actually hope she gets to the quarters and plays Azarenka. Woz leads the h2h 4-2, but they haven't played in about 2 years and Azarenka is ten times the player she was then, so basically I'm hoping Vika destroys her :D

Who knows when Woz will see sense and sack her father.. here's hoping she won't wait until she's 28 like Marion Bartoli!

Who knows when Woz will see sense and sack her father.. here's hoping she won't wait until she's 28 like Marion Bartoli!

Shame Bartoli didn't do it a bit sooner. She missed out on the Olympics because of it. Maybe that's what made her do it in the end.

Also good to see Barthel playing well. Stosur next, hope she can take her out!

The likes of Michael Joyce would do wonders for Wozniacki's career. Because, let's face it, she's been on a slump since she lost the No.1 spot.

Barthel-Stosur should be a good match. Both players had to come through tough 3-setters. Just hoping neither of them implode mid-match. Looking forward to Djokovic-Dimitrov tonight. It's 3rd on court, should be on around 9 or 10pm.

In more gossipy news, I didn't know Soderling is a dad now! According to Twitter, his partner gave birth to a girl last October. He's also hoping to return to the court this year. Here's hoping!:)

The likes of Michael Joyce would do wonders for Wozniacki's career. Because, let's face it, she's been on a slump since she lost the No.1 spot.

She has been on a bit of a slump but you have to take into account that quite a few players have become far more consistent than they were while she was #1. Serena, Vika and Sharapova are regularly in QF, SF, F. Even Errani, Kerber and Kvitova have a fair level of consistency in the bigger events.
    I don't think Woz is doing anything all that different to how she did when she was #1, but that in itself is obviously an issue, as everyone seems to have figured out how easy it is to actually beat her.

Exactly. Players have copped on to her game plan and know how to beat her. Unfortunately she doesn't seem to be Plan B or C if A goes kaput!

Disappointed by Dmitrov yesterday. He was going so well, 4-1 up, then started to slump.

Some good matches tonight! Raonic-Tsonga, Berdych-Gasquet, Haas-del Potro. Impressed by how well Fish played against Tsonga yesterday. Hope he'll keep healthy.

Sharapova will play Errani in a rematch from the French Open final. Sara made quick work of Bartoli yesterday; Masha had to work in the first set but cruised the second against Arruabarrena-Vecino.

Date-Krumm is on a roll in the women's doubles! Partnered with Casey Dellacqua, they've reached the SFs and will play #4 Vesnina & Makarova tomorrow night.

Seems we'll be waiting a while for an Azarenka-Wozniacki rematch, Vika has pulled out! :( It's Sharapovas for the taking now, Kirilenko in the semis and Woz/Kerber in the final. If she wins she actually won't be too far away from the #1 spot, improbable as it may seem.

^
    So does that mean there's no women's tennis today at all?

I can see Sharapova losing to Kirilenko. She's been playing terribly, the DF's are back with a vengeance. Kirilenko on the other hand has been playing fantastically. I'd be happy enough with either Maria winning it to be honest :)

No tennis on at the mo'! Federer-Nadal is scheduled for 7pm Californian time. I'm starting to doze off already so I'll probably be out when that match starts.:o

Definitely would not be surprised if Kirilenko reaches the final either. It's been a fantastic week for her and she's got a great chance to beat Masha. Stosur also pulled out of her match against Kerber. What a downer for the IW fans....women's QFs today.
    Women's SFs will be tomorrow; Woz-Kerber followed by Sharapova-Kirilenko. I hope Kerber smashes Woz...I'd be happy with either Maria reaching the final.:)

I'd like Sharapova to win the whole thing, I want her to stay in the mix with Serena and Vika as much as possible. Wouldn't mind Kirilenko doing it either though, I've always felt that she had the game to be a top ten player. Just as long as Woz doesn't win :eek:

• Advertisement

Sharapova could over take Vika in the rankings if she makes the final, not sure if she needs to win or not, wouldn't hurt though :)

Federer-Nadal is scheduled for 7pm Californian time.

Gosh that was quite a pasting, it looks more and more like Fed is heading for the sunset...

Gosh that was quite a pasting, it looks more and more like Fed is heading for the sunset...

I dunno. Nadal always beats Federer. I've no idea why the media gets so hyped up about their matches, they're always one sided and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I didn't see the match but the reports I read said that Federer was clearly struggling with a a back injury and as a result his serve was quite affected. I'm interested to see how he fairs against Berdych who has been having a pretty good week.

That's 29 meetings between Nadal & Federer now. Pretty impressive! I thought Fed looked uncomfortable on the court and wasn't moving freely.

Berdych has been in great form, not dropping a set all week. 2006 was the last time Tomas beat Rafa. I'd fancy his chances tomorrow night. (In saying that now I've probably jinxed him!:o)

Nadal always beats Federer.

Well, kind of...

Clay : Nadal 12 Fed 2
    Non-clay : Fed 8 Nadal 7

Well, kind of...

Clay : Nadal 12 Fed 2
    Non-clay : Fed 8 Nadal 7

I think they're level on non clay now after yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Nadal beat Federer in a similar fashion at 2011 Indian wells I believe, or possibly Miami. Since then he has played some incredible tennis, returned to world number 1 and won Wimbledon. Having said that, Father Time catches up with everyone. It does look worrying, I heard he had a bit of a back injury.

No live coverage on Eurosport tonight :(

• Advertisement

Think only Sky Sports have it tonight.

Advertisement