Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending New Years Eve on your Own?

Options
  • 31-12-2012 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

Anyone spending New Years Eve on their own?

I've been asked to go out but am actually thinking seriously of staying in in my flat with wine, good food and the internet. I've never had a good New Year's out. I just cant be bothered! Anyone doing the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i would love to. i hate this night.

but gf wants to go here and friends are going there and why am i being so stubborn dont be such a depressing prick yadayadayada....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm mean to be going over to my OH's bro's for a few drinks, but have the cold that's doing the rounds.

Genuinely can't decide if I should go over for an hour and say hi, or not bother. Have a feeling I'll feel worse if I don't get to see my OH for 12bells :(

Not sure as yet. Supposed to be going out, haven't heard anything about it today, and am feeling sick as a dog. Not hungover, mind, just ill. Kinda fancy spending the night lying on the couch and going to bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm staying in, as I do most New Year's Eves, and luxuriating with lots of delicious food and great films. I've occasionally enjoyed going out on New Year's, but mostly it's overcrowded, overloud, overpriced and just plain boring for my tastes.

Have a great night everyone, however you prefer to spend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if a friend is having drinks at his place I'll go there, but we were out saturday so I doubt that. not a chance I'd venture into any town on this night. it's always packed and ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I always make a point of not having a fare at 12. I fcuking hate that kissing and linking arms and smiling and shaking hands with people, who wouldn't speak to you the rest of the year, just because the clock ticked on another second.

The whole thing is a farce, albeit a good farce, because it means monies for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

New Years is always ****e, I stay in every year and watch a few films with my Mam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Sniffing vix is the highlight of my night, as I'm as sick as a dog... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I go out but always piss off 11:45 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I hate new years with a passion. Working tonight anyway, but the best thing I've ever done on new years was to go swimming at midnight off the beach. If the year's to start anyway, it should be clear and sharp and fresh, not hazy, queasy and bladdered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm staying in, as I do most New Year's Eves, and luxuriating with lots of delicious food and great films. I've occasionally enjoyed going out on New Year's, but mostly it's overcrowded, overloud, overpriced and just plain boring for my tastes.

Have a great night everyone, however you prefer to spend it.

Snap. Last year I stayed in and watched frozen planet, best New Years I ever had. I hate the pain in the arse of going to clubs and paying to get in, not being able to even get to the bar and not being able to find a taxi home. I'm in london for it this year so will be going out as my girlfriend wanted to visit a friend she hasn't seen in a long time, so the novelty of that is nice for a change, but fooked if I'd be going anywhere in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah should be going to a party but DVD's, pizza and a slab sounds a lot more nicer to me...totally agree with the whole bs about kissing and fake smiles etc. Not bothered about that crap anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I nearly always take stock of my new year on my birthday. Tonight is over priced/over crowded and isn't worth the hassle.

Some mates are calling over tonight but I am hoping they don't bother. Jules Holland fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yup thankfully I've only been forced to interact with people face to face on only 1 new years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Yup, all on my lonesome but Im gonna love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hate New Year's Eve, it's always a pain in the rear end of a night, especially if you're trying to get home from anywhere.

I'll be staying in then, having a great time by myself and celebrating with all the lovely people on boards.ie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Where To wrote: »
    I always make a point of not having a fare at 12. I fcuking hate that kissing and linking arms and smiling and shaking hands with people, who wouldn't speak to you the rest of the year, just because the clock ticked on another second.

The whole thing is a farce, albeit a good farce, because it means monies for me.:)

can you do a run from madisons to the errigle at ten to then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

In a sense...working on my own. I don't miss it at all. However a very happy new year to ye all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Have come down with some lurgy and feel like someone gave me a hiding but plan was always to stay in with OH (and hoping son and his gf feck off out) and celebrate the new year (don't even get me started on the fact that I think it should begin on the first day of Spring not when the coldest months have yet to hit us :mad:) with series 3 of Downton Abbey, a bottle of Cava and am going to make proper homemade chips and eat them out of a newspaper (if OH remember's to buy a newspaper :( ).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Last time I went out NYE I was on antibiotics and therefor sober, I lasted til 12.20 and said **** this and went home. Have spent it on the couch with housemates previously and its more fun, am tempted to sit in on my tod and watch movies later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm staying in.. in the office anyway till 8pm and on call tomorrow, but the idea of going out to get squashed in overcrowded pubs and pay for overpriced beer doesn't appeal to me at all.

Think I'll stay home, open that bottle of wine in the fridge or a few bottles of Bulmers beside it, stick on a movie and flip over to BBC for the fireworks at midnight.. cause no doubt RTE will be showing some depressing drivel with whoever was left in the canteen tonight - y'know, their "stars" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

A few years ago I had a bunch of boardsies over to my place for a new years night in, twas great craic. I miss when this site was small enough for that kinda thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

october 2007 you say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I stay in every year and revise my list of celebrities I predict will die in the next 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

When we moved to the States, we found some like minded people who were fed up with the NYE scene. For the past four years we have celebrated' Day One'.

We all meet up around noon at our local. We spend the day eating and drinking and having a laugh. We started out with @ 40 people the first year. It should be double that this year.

New Years Eve - Amateur Night

Day One - It's for the professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ive been partying since end November and love love love the lead up to Christmas and all the nights out.

However, I've always hated New Years Eve with a PASSION. Glad I am not the only one. Just the pure fake atmosphere of the whole thing makes me cringe.

So tonight, made myself Nigella Lawson's spatchcocked chicken with rosemary, lemon and red onion with greek salad (can smell that chicken cooking now...mmmm) some excellent french white, the tv, a load of new books downloaded on my Kindle, a box of after 8's, my feet up and the fire on and good company (namely me myself and I)

Bliss!!!!!!

Happy New Year to All!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC 2 Catch me if you Can at 7 pm, then either Dangerous Days or 30 years of Comedy on Channel 4 "off tape" then see in the new year on boards, it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My Kids are going to their cousins' for the evening. Mrs Billy is in bed with the lurgy. So I'll be spending NYE on the sofa with a t-bone & a good bottle of red. It is just a change of date. No big deal.

Have a good time whatever you are doing. :)

If you are feeling blue - reach out to someone or check out the AH stickies. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Anyone spending New Years Eve on their own?

I've been asked to go out but am actually thinking seriously of staying in in my flat with wine, good food and the internet. I've never had a good New Year's out. I just cant be bothered! Anyone doing the same?

Just make sure you enjoy it hun! And big happy new year to you:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

All my family are away in Lanzarote. I have a presentation to give on 4th January so I'll be working on that. I have the option to ring a friend of mine and go to his apartment but I don't drink so it would be no fun sitting watching them drink themselves senseless. I'm also taking a break from the weed at the moment. I'll go out later on for a walk to get some fresh air, work on my presentation, crack open a bottle of Orange & Cranberry Presse later on, swallow one or two Zopiclone's and it's goodnight world.

Advertisement