Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist flag protesters to target Oireachtas tricolour in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

Yes it was actually, which is why it is the Alliance Party who have been targetted!
    On Monday, Belfast city councillors backed an Alliance motion to allow the Union flag to be flown on 15 set days over city hall, rather than all year round.

The vote sparked violence outside city hall and in east Belfast.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/alliance-party-office-torched-in-violence-1212215

Well Micky Dolenz (the moderator) seems to know what he is talking about and he agrees with me, are you saying he is lying or wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

it wasn't. SF and SDLP put the motion forward for complete and total removal. The Alliance party put the compromise of 15 days where the flag could fly forward, in line with Stormont. To gain their support, SF and SDLP agreed.

So it was an Alliance Party motion that changed the Status Quo in the end.

he said "it was`nt"

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Why the bold?

The motion is a SF and SDLP one. They put the process in motion. The AP suggested a compromise to the original motion. It was accepted. It's called politics.

On Monday 3rd December, Belfast City Council voted to fly the union flag at City Hall only on designated days. The original motion – put forward by Sinn Féin [the main republican/nationalist party] and supported by the SDLP [Social Democratic and Labour Party – a middle class, nationalist party] – called for it not be flown at all but was amended by the Alliance Party [a largely middle class, ‘cross community’, pro-union party]. All unionists on the council opposed the move.

he said "it was`nt"
    So he's wrong, it happens, even to mods.
    The motion which led to the reduction in the number of days on which the Union flag flies over Belfast City Hall was proposed by the Alliance Party.
    If anyone cares to dispute that they can look at the records of the council meeting at which the motion was passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Micky Dolenz (the moderator) seems to know what he is talking about and he agrees with me, are you saying he is lying or wrong ?

He's working for MI6 and is here to divide and conquer us. Let's not get bogged down with this lads. :pac:

Why the bold?

The motion is a SF and SDLP one. They put the process in motion. The AP suggested a compromise to the original motion. It was accepted. It's called politics.

Simply making a point Mickey, no offence meant.
    The point being that it was an Alliance Party motion which actually led to the change which is why they have been targetted by loyalist thugs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes it was actually, which is why it is the Alliance Party who have been targetted!
    On Monday, Belfast city councillors backed an Alliance motion to allow the Union flag to be flown on 15 set days over city hall, rather than all year round.

The vote sparked violence outside city hall and in east Belfast.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/alliance-party-office-torched-in-violence-1212215
    SF started it with a proposal to remove it altogether and Alliance came back with the current solution.

Why the bold?

Typical of WileyCoyote at least he only did part of your post in bold ! he often uses just part of peoples quotes to try and miss quote them and win an argument or make them look bad. Typical tactics

Simply making a point Mickey, no offence meant.
    The point being that it was an Alliance Party motion which actually led to the change which is why they have been targetted by loyalist thugs.

I know what you are saying.Let me put it another way.

FG and Labour put a motion forward but are a few votes short of majority. A few independent TDs look for a compromise with the promise of supporting the motion. The motion is amended and pushed through. it is still a FG/labour motion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

'enda kennedy'

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Typical of WileyCoyote at least he only did part of your post in bold ! he often uses just part of peoples quotes to try and miss quote them and win an argument or make them look bad. Typical tactics

Is this school? Are you complaining to teacher.

I didn't know the original proposal was 0 days that's taking the piss a bit. Surprised by the SDLP

You don't need to take things personally. It's only part of a debate, all be it pedantic. I include myself in that.

Either way the AP are taking the brunt of the anger as without their support the Union flag would still be flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

What are they on about the Union Jack is all over the place, Tesco have the color of the flag in the logo, Tesco in Red , the _ _ _ _ _ under is blue and the rest of the logo is white. I'm sure other company's have it somewhere in there logos.

Grown men arguing about a few flags, they need to get on with there lives.

I didn't know the original proposal was 0 days that's taking the piss a bit. Surprised by the SDLP

School ? Teacher ? LOL Certain other posters not only complain to moderators on a regular basis when they dont get their way but actively try to get people banned who dont agree with their opinions. Hope that helps.

Surprised by the SDLP?

Of all political parties in the north they are the most confused, they don't know what they stand for. They are all over the place and as such are a total irrelevance.

You don't need to take things personally. It's only part of a debate, all be it pedantic. I include myself in that.

Either way the AP are taking the brunt of the anger as without their support the Union flag would still be flying.

I am not taking anything personal at all I was just pointing out that I dont like it when posters use tactics instead of just chatting or even arguing. Like the "bold" and also taking pieces of quotes to make people look bad although that tactic was not used in this thread.
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

My father in law is a member of a political party up here and he is amazed by the fire that has been ignited in young people, he reckons that this is the spark that was needed to break the lack of voting intrest which has been a big problem for unionst partys. I guess we will see next elections if sf/sdlp have made a tactical mistake?

If they came down it'd be great if a few thousand people here had the discipline to show up to just point and laugh at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

msg11 wrote: »
    What are they on about the Union Jack is all over the place, Tesco have the color of the flag in the logo, Tesco in Red , the _ _ _ _ _ under is blue and the rest of the logo is white. I'm sure other company's have it somewhere in there logos.

Grown men arguing about a few flags, they need to get on with there lives.
    Ahh excuse me, Tesco have the colour of the French flag in their logo, or was it the American one, on second thoughts it could have been the Dutch or Chile, Norway, Iceland, North Korea or Czech Rep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

awec wrote: »
    Of all political parties in the north they are the most confused, they don't know what they stand for. They are all over the place and as such are a total irrelevance.

Nationalism light... or maybe 'Nationalism pale' would be more apropos.

I wonder will a cross community party ever gain impetus. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between much of the UUP and SDLP - kinda moderate 'status qou-ists'. Or maybe the moderates should just join the Alliance party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

gallag wrote: »
    My father in law is a member of a political party up here and he is amazed by the fire that has been ignited in young people, he reckons that this is the spark that was needed to break the lack of voting intrest which has been a big problem for unionst partys. I guess we will see next elections if sf/sdlp have made a tactical mistake?
    Yeah there was thousands at the protests wasnt there? Hasn't dwindled to less than a hundred diehard bigots at city hall at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

gallag wrote: »

Another generation of bigots,that's what the north needs...

Nationalism light... or maybe 'Nationalism pale' would be more apropos.

I wonder will a cross community party ever gain impetus. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between much of the UUP and SDLP - kinda moderate 'status qou-ists'. Or maybe the moderates should just join the Alliance party?
    Alliance are viewed as a unionist party. An incredibly moderate unionist party but they are viewed as unionism none the less. I suspect they pick up a lot of moderate voters, I suspect they have taken a lot of voters from the UUP.

The issue is any new party will be asked their view on the constitutional issue. Anyone who doesn't come out explicitly in favour of a UI will be labelled unionist and anyone who doesn't come out explicitly in favour of the union will be labelled republican. Ye can't win!

• Site Banned Posts: 3 KeithAFCs Ghost.

I am against this from Willie Frazer and don't think the he should make such demands to remove the national flag of the Irish Republic. If he wants the Irish Republic to stay out of political affairs with Northern Ireland, then this is makes no sense at all. We only ask to be left alone Willie Frazer, not go into other countries and making demands like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I am against this from Willie Frazer and don't think the he should make such demands to remove the national flag of the Irish Republic. If he wants the Irish Republic to stay out of political affairs with Northern Ireland, then this is makes no sense at all. We only ask to be left alone Willie Frazer, not go into other countries and making demands like this.

Lol, Willie Frazer, monumental tit:

http://www.u.tv/News/IRA-HQ-claim-over-schools-Italian-flag/a415e119-9230-4265-b9d5-a16348618fac

GRMA wrote: »
    Yeah there was thousands at the protests wasnt there? Hasn't dwindled to less than a hundred diehard bigots at city hall at all
    What has that got to do with what I posted? Unless you think every unionst sees no other way to getting the flag back up than burning cars?? There are a lot of people who did not bother voting that disagree with the flag decision and realise now how important it is to vote, I say again, this will prove to be true or false at the next elections. Could be costly to sf/sdlp if more unionsts people hit the poles over their silly flag stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

Gamayun wrote: »
    This is no time to peddle your Ancient Egyptian god rhetoric! Sun god or not he has no say in this flag issue...

Up da Ra's Al Ghul!

Another generation of bigots,that's what the north needs...
    What??? People being interested in voting to change things democratically is bigoted????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Riot squad, give them a dose of what the English supporters got when they misbehaved at Landsdowne road.

No, the guards should not be allowed to randomly attack people just because they've been made fools of.

If these people come down and protest, so be it, but to allow the guards to assault them is retarded thinking beyond belief. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement