Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist flag protesters to target Oireachtas tricolour in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

There's going to big some vibration in dublin streets due to all that knuckledragging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I think those fools who are protesting should realise that for most of us in the South you couldn't pay us to take the border out of it at this point.

Imagine having to deal with skangers like those who are protesting on a daily basis, people who are too dumb to realise that they cost their own economy, which was on it's knees anyway a few million in Christmas trade by blocking up the streets. Only for the money Westminister pumps into NI every year I don't know what they would do.

It was good for us though because a lot of Nordies came down to Dublin to shop.

It probably pisses them off as well that things have never been as friendly between the Republic and Britain and they feel a bit left out up there.
    As a unionist I endeavour to create a felling of friendship between ireland/britain, you can search my post history and see I talk about the irish and British fans at the Olympics supporting each other like neighbours should. I actually would love for ireland to rejoin the commonwealth. Dont let the actions of a few idiots colour your view of unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think those fools who are protesting should realise that for most of us in the South you couldn't pay us to take the border out of it at this point.

Imagine having to deal with skangers like those who are protesting on a daily basis, people who are too dumb to realise that they cost their own economy, which was on it's knees anyway a few million in Christmas trade by blocking up the streets. Only for the money Westminister pumps into NI every year I don't know what they would do.

In fairness, Newry(And most border towns in the north) is overrun with freestaters every Christmas. I have to drive our ones down to Banbridge because they can't stand the amount of arseholes fighting over crates of beer in Sainsburys, theres actually been proper fist fights over turkeys in recent years between southerners LOL !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

It probably pisses them off as well that things have never been as friendly between the Republic and Britain and they feel a bit left out up there.
    What do you base that on? Its simply not true. In fact according to a recent survey over 60% of people would like a UI even if it meant higher taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Magill wrote: »

In fairness, Newry(And most border towns in the north) is overrun with freestaters every Christmas. I have to drive our ones down to Banbridge because they can't stand the amount of arseholes fighting over crates of beer in Sainsburys, theres actually been proper fist fights over turkeys in recent years between southerners LOL !
    What's a freestater?

• Advertisement

GRMA wrote: »
    What do you base that on? Its simply not true. In fact according to a recent survey over 60% of people would like a UI even if it meant higher taxes
    To be honest,a lot of people who say they want a United Ireland have no idea why.

barney 20v wrote: »
    What's a freestater?
    A term informally used by some people in Northern Ireland to refer to residents of the Republic of Ireland

pmcmahon wrote: »
    To be honest,a lot of people who say they want a United Ireland have no idea why.
    I totally agree

Have you asked them all to reach that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

gallag wrote: »
    As a unionist I endeavour to create a felling of friendship between ireland/britain, you can search my post history and see I talk about the irish and British fans at the Olympics supporting each other like neighbours should. I actually would love for ireland to rejoin the commonwealth. Dont let the actions of a few idiots colour your view of unionism.

That won't ever happen, most of us here are happy to be a Republic and welcome the Queen as a foreign head of state but we want to remain a seperate country.

I understand as a Unionist you see yourself as a subject of the Queen but we don't.

• Advertisement

A bit of a misnomer....

I wouldn't mind seeing a link for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

gallag wrote: »

We should all take a leaf out of the Rugby communities book. We stand side by side on the pitch and die for each other. In the stands Irish and British people stand together. We can be silent when the English anthem is sang on our field, a field which has seen our spilt blood. We can all have pints after and not be segregated in stands or in bars.

Then we all go back and live over lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

What's a freestater?

somebody who lives in the republic of ireland ( free state) slang term:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The average Brit neither understands or cares about Northern Ireland. Westminster would dump them back to us in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

Which is intensely distressing to the "British" Ulsterman - his form of "Britishness" is nowhere to be found in Wrexham or London or Inverness.

It's like the people who tick the box for Catholic, because that's "part of their identity." Being pro-United Ireland is what you're "supposed" to be in the Republic, but only in the abstract. Very few people support the reality.

I agree, let's forget about Northern Ireland and let them stand alone.

Have you asked them all to reach that conclusion?

I've heard enough of them,any middle of the road person in Ireland will agree to a united Ireland on a whim,it's the common thought after years studying the history books in school.It's a romanticised ideology with no real benefit to the people living in Ireland today.

For example,if a journalist asked me if i wanted to see a united Ireland i'd say sure.Then i'd think about it and realise it's a horrible,horrific idea.

A bit of a misnomer....

Habit... shoot me. I'd edit it but you've already quoted etc... you could protest about it if you want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And considering we normally don't give ****s about anything, wonder if they would be allowed march to their destination freely?

I can only assume the Guards won't be as cotton wooly as the PSNI when it comes to this messing.

So I can only assume the lads will be told to turned around and **** off home, hopefully anyway

Also most of the Nationalists are just as happy to remain as part of the UK and why would you want to be joined up with loyalists who clearly hate everything about us?

• Advertisement

I've heard enough of them,any middle of the road person in Ireland will agree to a united Ireland on a whim,it's the common thought after years studying the history books in school.It's a romanticised ideology with no real benefit to the people living in Ireland today.

For example,if a journalist asked me if i wanted to see a united Ireland i'd say sure.Then i'd think about it and realise it's a horrible,horrific idea.

So basically, you dont agree with it and anyone who disagrees with you hasnt given it any thought..... right.

Habit... shoot me. I'd edit it but you've already quoted etc... you could protest about it if you want ?
    Non issue really, just curious because this is a Republic and has been since1949.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

afro man wrote: »
    somebody who lives in the republic of ireland ( free state) slang term:D

Actually a highly offensive term, it is as much slang as "taig" or "Ni&&er":mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Riot squad, give them a dose of what the English supporters got when they misbehaved at Landsdowne road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

We should all take a leaf out of the Rugby communities book. We stand side by side on the pitch and die for each other. In the stands Irish and British people stand together. We can be silent when the English anthem is sang on our field, a field which has seen our spilt blood. We can all have pints after and not be segregated in stands or in bars.

Then we all go back and live over lives.

Ah now, I'm pretty sure there have been no fatalities at an Irish international rugby match.

Actually a highly offensive term, it is as much slang as "taig" or "Ni&&er":mad:
    Dont exaggerate!

So basically, you dont agree with it and anyone who disagrees with you hasnt given it any thought..... right.

Well it's called an opinion.I just don't see the benefit from a United ireland.For example take these three catagories which i feel are fairly important for a functioning nation.

Will a united Ireland benefit:

The economy= awwwwwh hell no.
    Healthcare= awwwwwh hell no.
    Public services= Good lord no.

What effect would a united Ireland have on your daily life?,really nothing more positive than what we have now.Our borders aren't closed off the northern Ireland they can come and live here if they want,they can have the irish passport also.They only difference would be the likes of these lads losing their flags on certain buildings and other meaningless issues.

ah here i could ramble on all day.Moral of the story,a united Ireland isn't needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I wouldn't mind seeing a link for that.
    I think he is embellishing, I think he is referring to a poll that simply asked if people would like a ui, not if it ment higher taxes etc, could be wrong. Any poll in recent times show support for a ui lower than ever.

Well it's called an opinion.I just don't see the benefit from a United ireland.For example take these three catagories which i feel are fairly important for a functioning nation.

Will a united Ireland benefit:

The economy= awwwwwh hell no.
    Healthcare= awwwwwh hell no.
    Public services= Good lord no.

What effect would a united Ireland have on your daily life?,really nothing more positive than what we have now.Our borders aren't closed off the northern Ireland they can come and live here if they want,they can have the irish passport also.They only difference would be the likes of these lads losing their flags on certain buildings and other meaningless issues.

ah here i could ramble on all day.Moral of the story,a united Ireland isn't needed.

Its not something that's wanted on either side of the border anyway. I think most nationalists here want a united Ireland, like they want a hole in the head(At the moment anyway). The republic can barely support its own weight nevermind a recovering dysfunctional North. The Brits created the problem here, its only right that they pay the bills.

Anyway, i wonder if no surrender woman will make an appearance ! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Its not something that's wanted on either side of the border anyway. I think most nationalists here want a united Ireland, like they want a hole in the head(At the moment anyway). The republic can barely support its own weight nevermind a recovering dysfunctional North. The Brits created the problem here, its only right that they pay the bills.

Anyway, i wonder if no surrender woman will make an appearance ! :P

That's about the height of it. I was reading a discussion on the flag protests on a UK based site and got the distinct impression from the English posting there that really do wish the "problem" would just go away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement