Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourire Conspiracy Theory

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pottler wrote: »
    2. Did any of ye watch the lad who did the "Red Bull longest freefall" stunt and the difficulties they had keeping him alive up to that low altitude???
    Just launching the battery pack alone nowadays would near enough break Nasa. The Lunar module looked like somthing I'd come up with if I was let loose in B&Q with a few grand and too much spare time. Me hole it went anywhere.
    Look up the Soviet balloon ascents. Or yer man that did the baythesphere.

Red Bull were bigging it up , 39,045 meters in about 2.5 hours

If you have a couple of quid to spare you could take a trip in the back seat of a MiG-31 to near enough the same altitude in a few minutes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_MiG-31
    an absolute maximum altitude of 123,524 ft, or 37,650 m, and set a time to height record of 35,000 m in 4 minutes, 11.78 seconds

NASA were spend a lot of money back then.

1966 $5,933m 4.41% of Federal budget.

Our GDP back then was $3,104m

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

surprised im the first to mention this but the biggest conspiracy has to be a certain bloke who was suppose to be born on the 25th Dec

Yeah apparently he wasn't born on the 25th...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The nazis had a moon base and UFO sightings at the time were nazi experimental planes. It would make sense that they would try to create an even stronger air force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Ronald Reagan is George Bush juniors real dad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Cork is the real capital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

statesaver wrote: »
    Never heard of that one. Must google

From Google,
    In May 1996, a UFO apparently went down near Boyle, Eire (Ireland). One night during that month many witnessed an unusual object glide down towards the Curlieu Mountains north of Boyle. It appeared to be an aerial craft coming into land, but had misjudged its approach, clipping the tops of trees and landing in a lake. Several occupants were said to have been taken into custody by a retrieval team and much military activity (including American soldiers) continued in the area for a six-month period following the incident. Civilians were prevented from going near the scene and the local police were instructed to keep their noses out of it and their mouths shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I have zero doubt that the official version of what happened on 9/11 is full of untruths, not because the events themselves were a conspiracy per se, but because there was a serious amount of ass-covering going on for whatever reasons. The story of what happened to the various flight recorders is so obviously nonsense I can't believe they dared chance it with the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Paul McCartney is dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

I like the moon landings and the whole angle that Stanley Kubrick shot them and left all the clues in his movies.

A very intriguing read even if you're a believer.

The nazis had a moon base and UFO sightings at the time were nazi experimental planes. It would make sense that they would try to create an even stronger air force.

Sure everyone knows that they're going to invade again in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

The moon ones, especially the Kubrick ones are a lot of fun to read.

Anyone who denies the moon landings makes me sad. They are an incredible achievement for humanity, and the people who went on all those missions are incredibly brave. It should be admired.

Did they fake the apollo 8 photos too? Did they fake all the other moon landings? Are China going to fake their proposed landing in 2015? Are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of NASA staff all faking the whole thing?

Did the Russians fake the pictures from the surface of Mercury? Are the US and the others in on that conspiracy too?

Are the Voyager photos fake? Is the Pale Blue Dot photo fake? Was Carl Sagan a robot from the future sent to cover up the moon landings?

Are you a crackhead?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

yeah but there's no way it went through the van allen belt. I don't find it believable anything passed through it tbh.
    Funny that James Van Allen, you know the actual guy who discovered it, had no issue with them going through it. Hell every time they fire up a geostationary satellite they go through it and they're packed full of really sensitive electronics. If the belt was that highly charged they'd be fried too.

The Apollo craft went through the belts very quickly which limited exposure. Plus while they were in the command module they craft was going "backwards" with the engines/fuel acting as a shield against radiation

The Apollo guys may have suffered some long term effects of wandering about on the moon. They had a higher percentage of cataracts than normal.

I think moon landing tinfoil hattists are a bit sad. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I mean it's sad they don't believe we did it, because they can't comprehend how we could do it. We used to be able to fly supersonically in three hours guzzling champagne to New York on a daily basis too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny that James Van Allen, you know the actual guy who discovered it, had no issue with them going through it. Hell every time they fire up a geostationary satellite they go through it and they're packed full of really sensitive electronics. If the belt was that highly charged they'd be fried too.

The Apollo craft went through the belts very quickly which limited exposure. Plus while they were in the command module they craft was going "backwards" with the engines/fuel acting as a shield against radiation

The Apollo guys may have suffered some long term effects of wandering about on the moon. They had a higher percentage of cataracts than normal.

I think moon landing tinfoil hattists are a bit sad. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I mean it's sad they don't believe we did it, because they can't comprehend how we could do it. We used to be able to fly supersonically in three hours guzzling champagne to New York on a daily basis too.

And the LRO captured all the landing sites this year as well. The images are quite good. I'm just waiting to hear someone claim that NASA sneaked all the descent stages up there some how.

I believe we went to the moon, the Kubrick angle is still an entertaining read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am not sure if it is already a conspiracy theory but I think that if governments ever wanted to ban the use of cash in society and make all payments electronically based they could use the excuse of a highly infectious epidemic. Coins and cash are passed from person to person and are pretty disgusting if you think about it. Someone with the flu, blowing their nose and putting the tissue in their pocket where their coins are, then you are handed that same change in a shop and its in your pocket next to your phone etc.

A cashless society would enormously increase the power of the state. Every transaction would be traceable. The black economy would all but disappear, leading to a huge rise in tax revenue for governments.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

in before run to da hills

i like the one about the supposed UFO that crashed in boyle in the 80's

I remember RTE done a documentary on this a while after it happened and i'd love to get my hands on it but i suppose i'd have to contact rte to purchase the video from them if they still have it archived. I might ask them sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

I always liked the Titanic conspiracy theories,in particular the one which claims the Titanic was switched with its sister ship in an insurance scam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic_alternative_theories#Gardiner.27s_Ship_That_Never_Sank

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Malibu Sunshine

Ronald Reagan is George Bush juniors real dad.

And that George Bush Senior knows more about cover ups than any president in US history.

And that George Bush Senior knows more about cover ups than any president in US history.

And i'll bet you a million dollars bush senior will die with those secrets as he is a man of military stature and a man like that never gives out secrets even on the death-bed.

We will never get anything out of that man. Ever.

Or out of anyone in their field and it's blood-lines. ****ing blood brothers/sisters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There's two that I come across occasionally.

One: about the buried Alaska pyramid that USA is keeping secret as there is an ancient power source within it (see HERE for example and below)

Two: Thats the Germans during WW2 set up an base in the Antarctic (example info) and after the war was to some extent, were still using it to hide out there - thus the later military operation by many countries in an organised joint operation (under the guise of sudden exploration as soon as the war was officially over) to go to the Antarctic in a mass numbers.

...And lets not get started about the secret Nazi moonbase!
    http://moonconspiracy.wordpress.com/the-nazis-had-a-base-on-the-moon/

:D

Owl george senior, ye got to love his style. Will he ever see it ? his new world order ? i'd doubt it.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Haven't read through this thread, but I'm assuming my own favourite conspiracy theory is not already included.

Mine relates to the single God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols which peaked in the British music charts at number two, week ending 11 June 1977 - the height of the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations. That same week, GSTQ was number one in the NME charts.

Legend has it that GSTQ sold the most records that week but that Rod Stewart (I Don't Want To Talk About It / The First Cut Is The Deepest) remained at number one to avoid public embarrassment, thus denying the Pistols one of the great and most infamous chart acievements. :mad:

I wonder what Jim Corr would make of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Tony Blair sings the theme song on The Teletubbies:D..............well I think it's him anyway:). You can only see the US versions on youtube, I can only see a few recordings of the UK intro from the tv.

I always liked the Titanic conspiracy theories,in particular the one which claims the Titanic was switched with its sister ship in an insurance scam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic_alternative_theories#Gardiner.27s_Ship_That_Never_Sank

Interesting read. Especially that Officer Murdoch was in on the swap.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I am not sure if it is already a conspiracy theory but I think that if governments ever wanted to ban the use of cash in society and make all payments electronically based they could use the excuse of a highly infectious epidemic. Coins and cash are passed from person to person and are pretty disgusting if you think about it. Someone with the flu, blowing their nose and putting the tissue in their pocket where their coins are, then you are handed that same change in a shop and its in your pocket next to your phone etc.

A cashless society would enormously increase the power of the state. Every transaction would be traceable. The black economy would all but disappear, leading to a huge rise in tax revenue for governments.

Scary and very plausible scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Haven't read through this thread, but I'm assuming my own favourite conspiracy theory is not already included.

Mine relates to the single God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols which peaked in the British music charts at number two, week ending 11 June 1977 - the height of the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations. That same week, GSTQ was number one in the NME charts.

Legend has it that GSTQ sold the most records that week but that Rod Stewart (I Don't Want To Talk About It / The First Cut Is The Deepest) remained at number one to avoid public embarrassment, thus denying the Pistols one of the great and most infamous chart acievements. :mad:

That's an interesting one. It's more than likely true I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The Dead Kennedys apparently did the same both here and in the UK with their single Too Drunk To ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The only one I consider in any way plausible is the moon landing being staged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I am not sure if it is already a conspiracy theory but I think that if governments ever wanted to ban the use of cash in society and make all payments electronically based

If there is one I believe can be true it is this one.

Surprised it hasn't happened already to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't understand the cashless society thing. Does that mean that I couldnt buy things that aren't legal?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

I don't understand the cashless society thing. Does that mean that I couldnt buy things that aren't legal?

a credit card for everyone and every transaction traced.

Big Brother state on steroids. Would destroy all small business, individuality, artists, bands, buskers etc. Nightmare.

It would make crime worse as people would trade organs and sex for drugs.

Only people who would love it would be Governments and massive corporations.

Death of all culture.

Advertisement