Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEPRESSION SUPPORT- Anonymous posting is possible, see note in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Irishmale

Sick of farming.

Right to the back teeth. All gra for the job gone. Fed up looking at it, listening about it, working at it, talking about it.

I don't know how all you other boardsies are so enthusiastic about it!! So much energy for the work.

Not depressed about it. Just fed up of it.

There; I said it.

Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Irishmale wrote: »
    Sick of farming.

Right to the back teeth. All gra for the job gone. Fed up looking at it, listening about it, working at it, talking about it.

I don't know how all you other boardsies are so enthusiastic about it!! So much energy for the work.

There; I said it.

Phew!
    do you get any time away from farming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Sick of farming.

There; I said it.

Phew!

Ya know what, I bet there isn't a man (or woman) on here that hasn't felt the same at some stage. Maybe if you could take a step back ,or a break of some description your vigor might be renewed?
    There's not much glamour in farming this time of the year...........But it won't be long till the evenings start to stretch out!
    Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Irishmale, thank God im not the only one out there. You have just said all i feel. Going on this few years. And can't see me getting back the admittedly small 'gra' i once had for it. Sorry folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Sick of farming.

There; I said it. It

Phew!

You are not tne only one IM , my own father hit the same thing years ago . Farming is alot of work for not alot of reward and its hard to keep slogging with that in mind .
    Do you go out for a pint or play any sport that might take your mind off things ? It might help to get away from the place for a while every now and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Sick of farming.

There; I said it.

Phew!

Know the feeling
    Im not always enthusiastic about it
    but it's important to have mentor to talk to that talks the truth not one that everything goes right and profitable for I find
    Year I got married I had horrific year with calves but It passed best fun I had out of it was one mate in pub claimed he couldn't figure how any man could lose so many calves his father drunk at closing time started to talk and it turned out they had nearly as bad of a year with cows through stupid stuff
    Long story short everyone has bad spells but they are always followed by lucky stricks just wait for it to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I get sick of it when things are going wrong, that's a lot more often to do with people than the work or animals.

Then I think I could be stuck within in an overly heated, air conditioned office having to put up with absolute bull****, office politics, and even more paperwork.

Usually feel better after that thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I get sick of it when things are going wrong, that's a lot more often to do with people than the work or animals.

Then I think I could be stuck within in an overly heated, air conditioned office having to put up with absolute bull****, office politics, and even more paperwork.

Usually feel better after that thought.

Can be a drain when both jobs are getting to ya tho. No escape then I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I'll admit to being so down for long periods, even months, solely due to farming and all the extra pressure it puts on me. I'm lucky that my official job allows me to say no to farming at times. But alot of the time I wish I didn't even have to look at the place, knowing that I feel obliged that the farm take up all my weekends when I could be woth my family
    So don't feel you are alone in this, but you do have to get an outlet from farming if you find it difficult.
    A lot of people on here live a breathe farming, but then again there are others who can't wait to get away from it.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Can be a drain when both jobs are getting to ya tho. No escape then I'm afraid

I imagine it can, I've just the one job at the moment so can't say I know what that's like. Always tried to avoid indoor type work, I am not suited to it.

Happiest time in farming for me is coming along in a couple of months, lambing, and the potential new life brings with it :)

• Advertisement

I do get away especially this time of year. I go see the gf who is a dub and Them I dread coming back! But I can't help but come back. Does that make sense?

I used to love farming but now not so much.

It's everywhere. All day everyday with everyone!

If I never saw another cow or got out of the tractor cab to open a gate again I would not care at the min.

I can't believe some lads are still pushing and trying after years and mad about farming. I just don't have it in me I don't think.
    Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

I'll admit to being so down for long periods, even months, solely due to farming and all the extra pressure it puts on me. I'm lucky that my official job allows me to say no to farming at times. But alot of the time I wish I didn't even have to look at the place, knowing that I feel obliged that the farm take up all my weekends when I could be woth my family
    So don't feel you are alone in this, but you do have to get an outlet from farming if you find it difficult.
    A lot of people on here live a breathe farming, but then again there are others who can't wait to get away from it.

That's what am trying to say I guess. I just can't wait to get away from it most times. Would rather be anywhere. Maybe a thread in the forum for all what I could be doing but can't be bothered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I got a bit fed up with farming about ten years ago, so decided to do something else. Back to school and eventually wound up with a level 8 degree in business studies. I kept the farm going while there with family and labour. Did a bit off farm office stuff for a few years. Back farming full time and enjoying it much more now. A step back and got the itch out of the system. Worked for me.

Sick of farming.

There; I said it.

Phew!

Is there something in particular you're fed up with. I suppose what I am getting at is what can you change to maybe enjoy it again?

There are a lot of bright lads and ladies here and a different view on a problem might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

There's lines in Baz Luhrmans The sunscreen song about people not knowing what to do with their lives. Nothing wrong with changing your system or taking a break from it all for that matter. Our self esteem comes in the way sometimes and we might be more concerned about people talking about us if we do make big changes. If you're not happy do something about it. No good doing a job you don't like. I'm rearing cattle with 20 years. Haven't been away from home for more than 3 days. Time has come for s serious break. I'm getting prepared this year so I can get away next year. I couldn't give a stuff what people will say. Life is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

I do get away especially this time of year. I go see the gf who is a dub and Them I dread coming back! But I can't help but come back. Does that make sense?

I used to love farming but now not so much.

It's everywhere. All day everyday with everyone!

If I never saw another cow or got out of the tractor cab to open a gate again I would not care at the min.

I can't believe some lads are still pushing and trying after years and mad about farming. I just don't have it in me I don't think.
    Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

we all get fed up at times, but there must be parts of it that you still get a buzz out of, as you said you loved it once. If farming was keeping me away from someone I loved I could see myself hating it, could that be the problem? Maybe you could plan to get away more often, that would give you something to look forward to and get over the immediate pressure.
    Best of luck, keep posting your first post in this tread drew a lot of support, so you know there are a lot of good boarders out there to help.

had a very tough time last year, after the bad spring and the wet weather before that, i think my father thought i was going to do something stupid, everyday he would say tomorrow is another day keep looking forward, forget about yesterday. I made goals week by week and when they started happening it put a new prespective on things. I am a totally different person to this time last year when i was contemplating walking away.

I know everyone says to 'get away for few days' which i used to have interest in doing but found that i was worse when i came back as the same crap was still there - so why bother? Even going to some meeting or other can be pain in ass a lot of the time. Join a club? Lost interest in things used to be interested in so don't even bother thinking about it anymore. Part time job may give an outlet from farming and vice versa but i am not qualified to do anything. Again, sorry for my rant!

Would it be possible for you to lease out the farm for a year and do a bit of travelling or even move up closer to the gf to see what life is like without the farm .
    Lots of people change their careers and there is nothing wrong with that , its just harder for a farmer to walk away from their land I think .

I know everyone says to 'get away for few days' which i used to have interest in doing but found that i was worse when i came back as the same crap was still there - so why bother? Even going to some meeting or other can be pain in ass a lot of the time. Join a club? Lost interest in things used to be interested in so don't even bother thinking about it anymore. Part time job may give an outlet from farming and vice versa but i am not qualified to do anything. Again, sorry for my rant!
    but can you not change what you dont like?

• Advertisement

Thanks Biddy. Probably are things i can change but where to start? Am milking cows which gives me 'something to do' but am working for very little return. When things get bad i just go to bed and could easily spend 12 hours in bed which leaves further build up of work to be done. Heard health and personal physical health also not great. Living on own can be a blessing in disguise as there no pressure to keep bright side out the whole time. No problem being bright eyed an bushy tailed when talking to neighbours.

Thanks Biddy. Probably are things i can change but where to start? Am milking cows which gives me 'something to do' but am working for very little return. When things get bad i just go to bed and could easily spend 12 hours in bed which leaves further build up of work to be done. Heard health and personal physical health also not great. Living on own can be a blessing in disguise as there no pressure to keep bright side out the whole time. No problem being bright eyed an bushy tailed when talking to neighbours.
    been there done that, lost loads of calves, bought in cows that died etc, we all have things to deal with. I found out why the calves where dying , now i can stop it. The thing about farming is no 2 days are the same, milking may seem monotonous at the minute but the evenings are getting brighter . I find even saying something on here takes a big weight off my shoulders , better out than in

no need for sorry, that's not a rant. Good to get it as you see it out there. First step in addressing any problem is to identify it.
    Don't know what to say to you except I felt like that a few years ago around this time of the year, had a good chat with my doctor, he thought I was a bit depressed in my self and put me on a mild antidepressant for a short while, did wonders, "got me over a hump" as he described it. Explained as feeling down alters brain chemistry and a small intervention can reverse the process, and give a new outlook. Hope this helps.

no need for sorry, that's not a rant. Good to get it as you see it out there. First step in addressing any problem is to identify it.
    Don't know what to say to you except I felt like that a few years ago around this time of the year, had a good chat with my doctor, he thought I was a bit depressed in my self and put me on a mild antidepressant for a short while, did wonders, "got me over a hump" as he described it. Explained as feeling down alters brain chemistry and a small intervention can reverse the process, and give a new outlook. Hope this helps.
    i got the script but didnt use it, just talking to the doctor helped alot, still have the prescription, i know its out of date but its there if i needed it

biddy2013 wrote: »
    i got the script but didnt use it, just talking to the doctor helped alot, still have the prescription, i know its out of date but its there if i needed it

Yeah I know, still have part of the prescription well out of date now.

Often thought about looking for medical help (as well as the 'having the chat' help. Am afraid of becoming addicted to them. And i on clatter of stuff for existing medical condition as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Often thought about looking for medical help (as well as the 'having the chat' help. Am afraid of becoming addicted to them. And i on clatter of stuff for existing medical condition as it is

Antidepressants can be addictive. If you're on a lot of other medication check out the side effects in the small print. Depression can be a side effects of some perfectly innocent looking medications. Also some medicines have a synergistic effect in that when combined they react to produce a completely different effect to that of the individual drugs.

Maybe a chat with your doctor or even a pharmacist might be no harm. I know of one pharmacist who was forever pulling up GPs on prescriptions because of the effects some drugs had when combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'm curious to find out lads was running a farm your dream or had you plans to do somthing else with your lives? Inever saw myself farming and was half way through electrical Apprenticeship when I was landed with this place. Wasn't reared on a farm but spent loads of time here. My point is somtimes we might be farming when we might like to be doing something else.

I'm curious to find out lads was running a farm your dream or had you plans to do somthing else with your lives? Inever saw myself farming and was half way through electrical Apprenticeship when I was landed with this place. Wasn't reared on a farm but spent loads of time here. My point is somtimes we might be farming when we might like to be doing something else.

Im a plasterer and im well sick of that job , but it pays the bills just about .
    Since I was a young lad I wanted to farm but the father nudged me against it . I only farm partime but if it was switched around , it would probably be the same .
    Lots of people arent happy in their job but trudge along to keep things going anyhow . I'd love to know how many people are really happy doing what they are doing , not as many as you might think id say .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

This time of year isn't great. You've come through the winter but spring not quite here yet. Body clock all over the place after Christmas and holidays, long days and sunshine seems like an eternity away!

Hang in there. ' This too will pass.'

Advertisement