Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEPRESSION SUPPORT- Anonymous posting is possible, see note in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

is all your paperwork up to date now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mike hilux wrote: »
    Im not sure if my best is good enough any more if truth be told. Their coming out tomorrow to see me anyway, he asked me over the phone if Wednesday suited and I told him that im here every day so what ever pleases him to do so. Im on the radar with them because the year I took over it turned out that animal registrations were in a bit of a state, the uncle was sick and sure he was dying and didn't register a heap of calves so when I took over I didn't know about it and had to go to them and explain everything as I couldn't register the next year's crop of calves. It was all over the place but it was sorted in the end. But yes the farm is known to them.

Chin up mate. Whatever is meant to be will be

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

One thing to check is that medicines records/prescriptions are in order.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mike that dept lad sounds as if he doesn't have a clue about mental health etc. Your defo taking the advice off the wrong person. He probably has his cushy 35hr working week and doesn't have a clue the mental demands of running a dairy farm and being self employed either.

But it does definitely sound from your posts that you could do with someone proper to talk to and get issues off your chest, likes of proper counselling etc. 2bh I think you need to worry about yourself before you worry about the farm etc, however you certainly aren't the 1st person to be depressed, it's thankfully an illness that with some correct help, likes of CBT etc, you can get on top of it.

best of luck tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Mike,

Try not to stress about it (easier said then done I know).

Anyone that knows anything about life stock and calving cows knows that they sometimes go down. You need to get them standing and what you did WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Putting the cow into a field on her own and looking to lift her was what we all have and would do.

You said the cow died so have you the knackery form. Get all the vet/ meds info for that cow so you can show what she got. The guards unless they are from a farming background wouldn't be able to say it was cruel or not, they have to act on reports.

They say it was ongoing cruelty then you need to know what they mean, if there have other reports they must tell of them. TBH the lad from the dept will want to see that your cattle are in good order and have access to water and feed. So long as they are not wandering the place trying to eat the hedges and drinking dirty water then how is he to say they are neglected.

As for your conversation on the phone just ignore it, he probably wasn't trying to be condescending or a smart arse but most people don't know how to respond when you say depression as they don't understand the nature if the illness. I'm always amazed how different people react when someone says they are addics trying to recover as people are very supportive, but when you mention the dreaded D word you get a different response.

As for his comments about leaving the land and people crying out for it, f**k that. As a part time farmer I get that sh1te all the time and how full time lads are being stopped from expanding by part timers/hobby farmers not selling or leasing to them. It's your land and your the one trying to turn it around.

Any way good luck with it, be honest, polite but stand your ground. If someone has reported you for cruelty then demand to know the full report, the time, date and who.

No man is a island and no farm is an ocean

Don't think the info on who reported him would be released tho

Reggie. wrote: »
    Don't think the info on who reported him would be released tho

Reports can only acted on by reliable sources, they can't act on innuendo so someone would have had to make a formal report.

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Reports can only acted on by reliable sources, they can't act on innuendo so someone would have had to make a formal report.
    would the guards not have made the report to the dept? edited to say we where reported for something years ago and they could not tell us who it was

whelan2 wrote: »
    would the guards not have made the report to the dept? edited to say we where reported for something years ago and they could not tell us who it was

So were we but I told the gaurd that unless he could say it was a proper report I wasn't entertaining it. There are a number of kranks and nosey busy bodies round here. To be fair to the guard they were fed up with having thier time wasted too. Found out who it was too, same woman used to bully my younger sister, guards don't take any notice of her any more.

• Advertisement

Yes but they can't release the name or identity of the complainant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yes but they can't erase the name or identity of the complainant

I imagine you meant 'release', which is my understanding too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    I imagine you meant 'release', which is my understanding too.

Bloody autocorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hi Mike

When the inspectors arrive, don't forget- they're on your ground. They have certain rights as to what they inspect etc. and they can only operate within those rights. You are the landowner and you are the professional. They are NOT farmers- they are inspectors. They will have points to make, observations to record, advice to give. They may refer to the incident with the cow. Allow them to do all that. That all lies within their rights. If they make any allegations, ask them for evidence to support such allegations. "We received a complaint" type comments simply don't cut it.

They do not have any rights to tell you what to do with your life or with your livelihood. Be strong as you can, listen to them but don't get into an argy-bargy. Remember, you inherited the farm... its yours... AND, despite what they might say, you've been able to pay off €100k of debt in a relatively short time while the country has been going through economic hell. So, you must be doing something right! If there are still deficiencies in your work- practices, so be it. You inherited a very poorly run operation by all your descriptions. Are you making it better? So long as you are making a reasonable effort to do the best you can to improve what /where you can, the inspectors can't really crib. Instead, they may well signal that you are improving the situation, despite the difficulties.

Get past the inspection, and take note of their comments. WRITE DOWN ANY SUCH COMMENTS MADE. So that a) you can revisit them after the meeting and b) have your own record of what was discussed. You can be sure that they will maintain a record of everything that is discussed for their file.

After the inspection is over, you will need to look at the bigger picture, but that's not for now. Be well tomorrow, face the inspection head on, and try not to over-think it all beforehand. Good luck and let us know the broad strokes of how you get on..

how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mike hilux

Hello, it went very well in honesty. They knew from the word go that I was stressed out about it. The dept man and a vet came out and both men were more than understanding, we walked the animals and apparently I have grand calves and yearlings. Some of the cows they said we're a bit on the thin side and could do with a bit more feeding but nothing major.

They viewed the layout of the place and strongly suggested that I cut back a bit on stock numbers and make life a bit easier on myself bit understood that it's hard when you owe money to people. They pointed out a few things that they wanted me to address and said they would be back in late autumn just to see how things are going and if there is anything in the meantime then to get in touch.

The department man even apologised and said that he wasn't trying to come across as dismissive but only put forward an option. The line of the day was when they were saying everything to me and I was nodding along and we were all in agreement, I didn't want them thinking I was only being a yes man so I said "I hope now that yee don't think im only feeding you a line of sausages in order to keep you happy" it sounded so good on my head!!

I didn't even ask about the complaint and they never mentioned it either, I suppose that's really all the jigs and reels of it.

well done, i bet you're glad its over

Hello, it went very well in honesty. They knew from the word go that I was stressed out about it. The dept man and a vet came out and both men were more than understanding, we walked the animals and apparently I have grand calves and yearlings. Some of the cows they said we're a bit on the thin side and could do with a bit more feeding but nothing major.

They viewed the layout of the place and strongly suggested that I cut back a bit on stock numbers and make life a bit easier on myself bit understood that it's hard when you owe money to people. They pointed out a few things that they wanted me to address and said they would be back in late autumn just to see how things are going and if there is anything in the meantime then to get in touch.

The department man even apologised and said that he wasn't trying to come across as dismissive but only put forward an option. The line of the day was when they were saying everything to me and I was nodding along and we were all in agreement, I didn't want them thinking I was only being a yes man so I said "I hope now that yee don't think im only feeding you a line of sausages in order to keep you happy" it sounded so good on my head!!

I didn't even ask about the complaint and they never mentioned it either, I suppose that's really all the jigs and reels of it.

Excellent. Great to hear it. Things will always be worse in your head than in reality. I know as I'm terrible for it. Suffer from anxiety myself. Learn from this and know that at least you know now your doing a good job and anymore complaints will have less weight behind them.

Well done and fair play. Your are reaping the rewards of your hard work. :)

Good to hear, glad you have some good news at the end of the day lad. You can sit in at home tonight put up you feet stick on the kettle open a packet of biscuits and enjoy watching Messi and co on the telly and have a good nights sleep, tomorrow can wait till the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Well done Mike. Hopefully that visit will give you a bit more belief in yourself and in what you are doing. Clearly, in their view you're doing a good job in a very difficult situation, given how you're managing the stock.

As the other posts said, clebrate today with a cuppa and a biscuit and have a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Good man mike .

Maybe your too hard on yourself , sounds like your getting on ok to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Just thought I'd put down the way depression effects me. It's hitting me hard today. I said I'd have a lie in this morning as I'm off work. I got up around 10 realising I shouldn't of slept in I have to much to do.
    Can't seem to bring myself to jump in the shower for some reason so I'm going to head out and move a few sucklers and tag a few calfs and register them and send off bvd samples. That's how depression effects me it seems to pull me back from the things I need doing but the thought of going out and playing with the suckler cows is appealing to me so I'm going to do that instead of all the rest of the things that need doing they can wait until tomorrow!
    Another way it effects me is I don't want to talk to anyone even going to the shop or bank I don't want to have to engage with people. I'd rather not have to talk to people as I feel they might judge me or notice that I'm feeling down today. I'll probably regret putting this here but sure feck it! A lot of people are going throw worse than me.

Feckthis wrote: »
    Just thought I'd put down the way depression effects me. It's hitting me hard today. I said I'd have a lie in this morning as I'm off work. I got up around 10 realising I shouldn't of slept in I have to much to do.
    Can't seem to bring myself to jump in the shower for some reason so I'm going to head out and move a few sucklers and tag a few calfs and register them and send off bvd samples. That's how depression effects me it seems to pull me back from the things I need doing but the thought of going out and playing with the suckler cows is appealing to me so I'm going to do that instead of all the rest of the things that need doing they can wait until tomorrow!
    Another way it effects me is I don't want to talk to anyone even going to the shop or bank I don't want to have to engage with people. I'd rather not have to talk to people as I feel they might judge me or notice that I'm feeling down today. I'll probably regret putting this here but sure feck it! A lot of people are going throw worse than me.

Trying to find motivation when your down like that is pretty tough. One of sisters goes through days like that and it's very hard to bring her out of it at times. Even things she loves doing feel like a chore for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Motivation major problem here at the moment. Means not getting things done which leaves longer list of jobs to do which leaves me even less motivated so becomes vicious circle. So then I have more time to think.
    That and other things but thats a story for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Motivation major problem here at the moment. Means not getting things done which leaves longer list of jobs to do which leaves me even less motivated so becomes vicious circle. So then I have more time to think.
    That and other things but thats a story for another day.

Is it possible to get someone in to give you a hand with clearing the jobs and maybe even be a bit of company for the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Can do and have done IYKWIM. But at moment it even the simple things I can't motivate myself to do such as getting out of bed. Have plenty of callers, not sure any of them want to be asked to help me with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Can do and have done IYKWIM. But at moment it even the simple things I can't motivate myself to do such as getting out of bed. Have plenty of callers, not sure any of them want to be asked to help me with that. :)

Sure a lie in is no harm either . I find the early to bed is mighty for a refreshing sleep , even if I wake ridiculously early I still feel better for going to bed at 8/9 o clock some nights

Always find music picks me up and I always found picture house quite up lifting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2jImA92vbyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Always find music picks me up and I always found picture house quite up lifting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2jImA92vbyo

I have to agree, I normally hate music on in the background but love to focus on it by itself. My preference for cheering me up is rather different however. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywmpMQYojs

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    I have to agree, I normally hate music on in the background but love to focus on it by itself. My preference for cheering me up is rather different however. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywmpMQYojs

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ,
    Very good

Advertisement