Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU draft directive to be presented on wed 19th Dec

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Vaperus wrote: »
    Yeah a petition could be good, need somebody who has already done one, seems to be lots of places to create a petition but need the right place and it needs to reach the right people

Thought we had a petition on here once for something similar

Our government have already shown that they do not take online petitions seriously. The Irish sopa petition had around 100,000 signitures and they were referred to as Internet warriors in the dail.
    Either write to or speak to your representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Colly10 is right, online petitions are worthless or worth about as much as a facebook 'like'.
    This needs to be a written letter campaign with email copies sent as well.
    This letter should be polite, no point in piss1ng them off, personal and should request a response either written or in the form of a parliamentary question, if contacting a TD a Dail question.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Its not just about us writing letters.
    How many are on here, how many have written letters.
    Its also about public awareness and getting them to write letters as well.
    This Directive is not going to be posted through peoples letter boxes and nether is an invitation to take part in the health authority thing.

Most people wont know this is even happening until it is done.
    A Petition may be worhtless but if it helps make people aware then it isnt

We need to let all Vapours know and Friends of Vapours and their friends

Posted on the UK Site

For people who are smoking 30 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard
    For people who are smoking 20 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    For people who are smoking 10 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    For people who are smoking 5 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    For people who are smoking 2 silkcut a day 4mg = result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

kiffy wrote: »
    Just had a brainwave :eek: we need someone to write to Joe Duffy explaining our potential plight, needs to be someone who can talk live and not freeze up like a kipper (like me) what better coverage than national radio listened to by hundred's of thousands each day

Talking to Joe sounds like a good idea I reckon.

I know he a a piece on e-cigs a few weeks ago, so I'm sure he'd revisit the issue in the light of the proposed Directive - we need all the publicity we can get on this.. the only thing that exercises politicians is the thought of losing votes

Anybody well up on the proposed legislation and on the benefits of vaping who'd be willing to volunteer for the role of talking to Joe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Posted on the UK Site

For people who are smoking 30 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard
    For people who are smoking 20 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    For people who are smoking 10 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    For people who are smoking 5 plus a day 4mg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    For people who are smoking 2 silkcut a day 4mg = result
    CHOCOLATE fireguard??? I thought this new directive said no flavours only tobacco for fags.

BTW what's the take on flavours for e-liquid it's not a tobacco product.
    Had a text from a fellow vaper at work who only uses menthol liquid, from what I read of the directive the flavour's bit doesn't affect e-liquid, am I right in that assumption?

I Thought the flavour restriction was on Liquids as well.

Joe Duffy would be a great Idea if we can get a volunteer

I will post it up on face book as well

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Talking to Joe sounds like a good idea I reckon.

I know he a a piece on e-cigs a few weeks ago, so I'm sure he'd revisit the issue in the light of the proposed Directive - we need all the publicity we can get on this.. the only thing that exercises politicians is the thought of losing votes

Anybody well up on the proposed legislation and on the benefits of vaping who'd be willing to volunteer for the role of talking to Joe?
    I heard it was mentioned on his programme, but I am assuming it was about it's increasing popularity not it's demise/death. That would be a whole new story.

I Thought the flavour restriction was on Liquids as well.

I will post it up on face book as well
    Never saw it mention liquids in the write up, the write up about only tobacco flavours was all about cigarettes and packaging it hadn't got to the e-cigs part at that stage of the write up.
    I ****ing hate tobacco flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Joe Duffy? Which one of these do ye think he might use to describe vaping?

Joe bloody Duffy, don't get me started on RTE and who's pockets the TV license fees pad out.

The only people even mildly interested in this will be vapers and their friends/families. Emails from *all* the irish vendors will reach a lot. Fair play to ESI for sending one out.

In principle I support the tobacco directive, it's the amendments to cater to vaping and perhaps snus that I object to.

• Advertisement

Never saw it mention liquids in the write up, the write up about only tobacco flavours was all about cigarettes and packaging it hadn't got to the e-cigs part at that stage of the write up.
    I ****ing hate tobacco flavours

Yeah I hate them too, but might not notice at 2mg

Kiffy what you trying to stitch me up with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The only tobacco liquid I liked was IV Black Label. Alas, tis no more.

Kiffy what you trying to stitch me up with
    Well you suggested it Mark, you might as well see it through :p

Yeah I hate them too, but might not notice at 2mg
    Yeah but at 4mg (the max permissible) it will blow yur socks off :rolleyes:

No You suggested it, its a great idea :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Lucutus wrote: »
    Joe bloody Duffy, don't get me started on RTE and who's pockets the TV license fees pad out.

The only people even mildly interested in this will be vapers and their friends/families.

I'm not a fan of him or RTE either, but if you get on the airwaves with this issue, the papers / local radio will pick up on it too and we could have a lot more converts to vaping before the sh!t hits the fan - people power is needed here.

Exactly, Every goes on with I dont like their politics or I dont like they guy or the show is crap. It Doesn't Matter. The Only way we have a chance is making the public aware and getting as many people as possible to get involved. We are not going to change their minds jusing this Forum only

kiffy;
    Had a text from a fellow vaper at work who only uses menthol liquid, from what I read of the directive the flavour's bit doesn't affect e-liquid, am I right in that assumption?
    As I understand it all new smokeless products will be restricted in the use of flavors.
    Definitions

For the purposes of this Directive:

1. "tobacco products" means products for the purposes of smoking, sniffing, sucking or chewing, inasmuch as they are, even partly, made of tobacco, whether genetically modified or not;
    Thats from the current directive, however the new directive seems to have created a new category to cover ecigs tho they are not specificaly named in the directive they are referred to in the pr literature.
    Article 18
    Nicotine-containing products
    1. The following nicotine-containing products may only be placed on the market if they
    were authorised pursuant to Directive 2001/83/EC:
    (a) products with a nicotine level exceeding 2 mg per unit, or
    (b) products with a nicotine concentration exceeding 4 mg per ml or
    (c) products whose intended use results in a mean maximum peak plasma
    concentration exceeding 4 ng of nicotine per ml.
    2. The Commission shall be empowered to adopt delegated acts in accordance with
    Article 22 to update the nicotine quantities set out in paragraph 1 taking into account
    scientific developments and marketing authorisations granted to nicotine- containing
    products pursuant to Directive 2001/83/EC.
    3. Each unit packet and any outside packaging of nicotine-containing products below
    the thresholds set out in paragraph 1 shall carry the following health warning:
    This product contains nicotine and can damage your health.
    4. The health warning referred to in paragraph 3 shall comply with the requirements
    specified in Article 10(4). In addition, it shall:
    (a) be printed on the two largest surfaces of the unit packet and any outside
    packaging;
    (b) cover 30 % of the external area of the corresponding surface of the unit packet
    and any outside packaging. That proportion shall be increased to 32 % for
    Member States with two official languages and 35 % for Member States with
    three official languages.
    5. The Commission shall be empowered to adopt delegated acts in accordance with
    Article 22 to adapt the requirements in paragraphs 3 and 4 taking into account
    scientific and market developments and to adopt and adapt the position, format,
    layout, design and rotation of the health warnings.
    You are right that eliquid flavors are not in the scope of this directive but as the PR stands it's quite likely that individual states will include them.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    You are right that eliquid flavors are not in the scope of this directive but as the PR stands it's quite likely that individual states will include them.
    Can't see our ill informed lot seeing that loophole to deprive the small minority of ppl who will vape at 4mg (very small minority)

Also very curious to know if any of our forum members are going to give the 4mg limit a go if this thing comes in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Also very curious to know if any of our forum members are going to give the 4mg limit a go if this thing comes in?

Not a hope for me. Vaped a 12mg juice recently and got barely any throathit, and zero craving reduction.
    Had the thing practically stapled to my face for the day, which doesn't go down too well with the OH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye im vaping a lot less since i switched back up to 18mg

even in thepub last night I was having a few vapes and then putting it away for a while. dont thinkI vaped anything for the last hour and a bit before I came home as we were indoors and it was packed. not a hope i'd have been able to do that with 12mg

grindle wrote: »
    Not a hope for me. Vaped a 12mg juice recently and got barely any throathit, and zero craving reduction.
    Had the thing practically stapled to my face for the day, which doesn't go down too well with the OH.
    I recently got a 10ml bottle of 10mg (Pchela's Poison) and surprised myself that after a few ml's I didn't do too badly with it for nearly 3 days, considering I always used 24mg until the start of December, have been on 18mg since. The one thing I did notice was the flavour at 10mg was even better than at 18mg with my same juice TH was ok(ish). Saying that 4mg is a million miles away from 10mg, and don't think I could survive on 4mg, will have a better Idea when my 30ml bottle of 5mg arrives from the states from Mom & Pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

You would need to smoke at least 5ml of 4mg juice to come close to the same amount of nicotine as 20 fags.

Now bear in mind that Vaping is less efficient at getting that nicotine into the body (I remember somewhere reading less than half as efficiant).

Now consider how long it takes to actually vape 5ml's of fluid !.

I do go through around 5ml of fluid a day with a genesis. BUT:
    • I work at home
    • Chainvape for almost 12 hours straight.

This is not something you'd even come close to managing with your stardust, kanger, ego-t etc .. unless you have the unit glued to your mouth so IMHO at 4mg strenght there is not nearly enough nicotine to warrant many people giving up the fags in favour of vaping.

was.deevey wrote: »
    MHO at 4mg strength there is not nearly enough nicotine to warrant many people giving up the fags in favour of vaping.
    Yeah that's why they have given the big T's the monopoly of higher than 4mg anybody who wants to quit will be buying their products not ours.
    Simples :mad:

Signed and shared Vaperus.

Signed it while puffing away on my 5mg juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Signed, thanks for the link!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

This is not inforceable,we could just buy our juice stateside or outside europe,by the half gallon,and post it in,simples:D.

Advertisement