Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭ooter

just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem?
    since last night I have been unable to use the 3 functions at the bottom of my N4, can't go back, can't get on to the home screen and can't open previous pages/windows, I have to keep turning the phone off and back on if I want to use any of the apps or web browse. I can still make calls and send texts by swiping to the left on to the phone symbol.
    does anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?
    definitely didn't let the phone fall or got it near water, just stopped working all of a sudden..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

ooter wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem?
    since last night I have been unable to use the 3 functions at the bottom of my N4, can't go back, can't get on to the home screen and can't open previous pages/windows, I have to keep turning the phone off and back on if I want to use any of the apps or web browse. I can still make calls and send texts by swiping to the left on to the phone symbol.
    does anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?
    definitely didn't let the phone fall or got it near water, just stopped working all of a sudden..:confused:

Same problem on cyanogenmod....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had mine on charge whilst I went to watch Netflix. Came back to see it had turned itself off. Turned it on...started making some weird beep/chime sound and shut itself down, again.

It now says charging 0%... :confused: If I remove the USB cable it shuts down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Had mine on charge whilst I went to watch Netflix. Came back to see it had turned itself off. Turned it on...started making some weird beep/chime sound and shut itself down, again.

It now says charging 0%... :confused: If I remove the USB cable it shuts down.

That sounds like the battery has had it.

It's quite easy to fit a new battery, if you have the correct screwdrivers. The tricky part is finding an LG battery that's not a fake. I bought one that looked genuine, but turned out not to be. After a couple of months, a full charge only lasted a couple of hours, and the battery had bulged.

Having said that, there's little reason for me to bin my N4 and buy a more modern phone - the phone is well able to run Lollipop, and I hear some of the Marshmallow roms are good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks. Not surprising if it's the battery, I've had it since Sept 2013. Not that I use the phone particularly extensively, or anything. However, it's been restarting itself occasionally on and off for a while now, usually when sitting on my desk. Figured it was either the battery, or something software related.

Will keep an eye on it. It's charging again, for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

Has anyone sourced a genuine battery ?
    I've replaced mine with a "genuine" one from eBay and its worse than what I took out.

I've replaced mine with a "genuine" one from eBay and its worse than what I took out.

Went looking on LG's UK site.

They mention two places in Ireland. They might be small fry and mostly deal with white goods, etc. I have emailed them to ask.

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/parts-accessories

This seems to list some mobile parts.

http://www.4lg.co.uk/mobile/phone-mobile/catalogue.pl?path=639103,622087

I don't know the battery number off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Here's a genuine battery:
    http://www.spareslg.com/bateria-lg-e960-nexus-4-lg-optimus-g-e975-eac61898601.html

Folks here have ordered from them before, I believe.

Great job,
    I'll update tomorrow with the battery part number

BL-T5 seems to be the model number of the battery

• Advertisement

I tried LG's chat (US site)...the first thing the agent said was the phone doesn't have a removable battery. :o :pac: I knew that - she was helpful and polite, so I'm not complaining there. The Irish spare parts place I mentioned earlier don't do phone parts, fair enough.

Haven't decided on a new battery yet. I guess I could continue as is until the phone keels over, or else get a battery, then if I got another two years out of the phone that'd be good going by any standard, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Some months ago I bought a Nexus 4 battery on eBay. The ad claimed it was genuine, and it certainly looked fine to me. A couple of months later, it was holding very little charge, and starting to make the back of the phone bulge. Not good!

I decided to buy a new battery. It should be safe enough to buy from Amazon, once the battery comes from Amazon and not from a marketplace seller. I still think that's a safe approach. After reading positive reviews on Amazon, I bought from a UK marketplace vendor named "ItsTek", who had a number of good reviews for this particular battery, and who responded to a buyer's query as to the batteries being genuine.

Anyway, I fitted the battery, and I think it's fine. The old battery weighed 30g, which I gather is a sign of a counterfeit one. The new one weighs 33g, which is a good sign. I'll know more in a few months time, but it's looking good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Ordered at about 5pm yesterday, as per the link above. It shipped (cost a bit), and according to TNT's tracking, it's due for delivery today.

Any good installation guides out there? Slightly wary of some of the videos on Youtube.

Any good installation guides out there? Slightly wary of some of the videos on Youtube.

Are you getting a removal tool with the battery ? I didn't and used a tiny flathead and left some marks on the front case , be careful around the sim card area of the back case as it's relatively unsupported, I broke the thin plastic strip while doing mine. Other than that the YouTube guides are fine

Don't have a torx 5. This crowd seem to have them.

I've damaged one of the screws on the battery connector, threads are worn. Not much hope of sorting it.

Got that screw out. New battery is in and works, or does it? Slightly concerned as the charging doesn't seem very stable, though I've only had it going a few minutes. The little electricity symbol is there, but sometimes if I move the phone it stops. Might this be because I've only one good screw in the battery connector? If so, is it possible get those tiny, tiny screws somewhere?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Tried a different USB cable...almost at 100% charge. :)

No issues with the new battery since I installed it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Got that screw out. New battery is in and works, or does it? Slightly concerned as the charging doesn't seem very stable, though I've only had it going a few minutes. The little electricity symbol is there, but sometimes if I move the phone it stops. Might this be because I've only one good screw in the battery connector? If so, is it possible get those tiny, tiny screws somewhere?

Slightly off topic but how did you get the stripped screw out? I'm always looking for good approaches to fix this :D

Heh, that was an interesting one. I did a search and one method suggested glue, another a rubber band. I can't recall which one I used, but it was a bit of a nuisance. I think there's a video or two about it.

I'm about to retire my 16g Nexus 4 if anyone is looking to pick one up for spares drop me a message
    In after picking up a 5x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Hi, folks. I have a Nexus 4 that reads on Google Play as "3 LGE Nexus 4". When I try to download the Ulster Bank ROI app, it says it isn't compatible. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Is it a known issue?

I'm about to retire my 16g Nexus 4 if anyone is looking to pick one up for spares drop me a message
    In after picking up a 5x

How is the 5x? I see they're offering a discount at the moment.
    Speedwell wrote: »
    Hi, folks. I have a Nexus 4 that reads on Google Play as "3 LGE Nexus 4". When I try to download the Ulster Bank ROI app, it says it isn't compatible. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Is it a known issue?

Installed fine for me as a test. I don't use their internet banking, so I'm afraid I can't help further, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Speedwell wrote: »

Banking apps have issue with root, make sure your device is not rooted

• Advertisement

How is the 5x? I see they're offering a discount at the moment.

Great so far, the battery life is much improved, finger print unlock is quicker and easier than my old pattern unlock, I'd prefer if the volume button were in the same positions as the 4.
    The new type c charging is v quick with the new charger and can be plugged in both ways but the down side is all my old chargers don't fit so I picked up a pair of adapters

I paid 400 for the 32 gig I'll never fill it but it should help it be future proof

Advertisement