Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

No sleep = safety.

Sleeping = danger!

Remember this and all will be good ;)
    I don't get sleep paralysis but I do get falling asleep jitters when I'm in the horrors and the above is exactly what goes through my mind :( I normally can't sleep unless the room is dark but there have been a few times when I'm shattered but in the grips of The Fear that I have to have some sort of a night light as I feel like one of those kids in a Freddie Kruger nightmare. Once I'm asleep I'm fine but falling asleep is literally a nightmare. On the one hand I know nothing bad is going to happen but on the other my brain is so scrambled that I see danger lurking in every shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thoie wrote: »
    I had left a sliced pan (one of the square "toast" ones) sitting on the counter on its side, with a pack of Ryvita on top of it. It was pushed back against the wall.

Woke up the next morning to find the bread (still neatly wrapped) sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, on its own. Ryvita was sitting on the counter in the same spot. All doors and windows were locked. Felt a bit unnerved at the time.
    I'm fairly paranoid about rodents of any kind (despite leaving the sliced pan on the counter that night), but haven't seen any signs of mice (or smelled any signs of rats). I was just coming on to report another weird kitchen occurrence. Went to bed, then realised I wanted a glass of water. Came back to the kitchen (about 5 minutes after leaving) to find a wine stopper in the middle of the kitchen floor. Can't even remember the last time I used it - it usually lives in a ramekin at the back of the counter with a few other bits and bobs.

It's a bit like this one, so not terribly heavy, but it doesn't roll either.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the fridge is vibrating slightly or something, and the vibrations are running through the counters. The fridge has been in place a long time without moving though (it's built in, so you can't even knock off it). I'm feeling foolish for even mentioning these in this thread, but it is creeping me out a little!

If I find a 3rd thing I'm going to borrow a camera and aim it at the kitchen!

In case anyone was wondering, there was nothing else since September until last Saturday. I left the house, remembered I'd forgotten something, walked back in and found a pack of bagels in the same spot on the kitchen floor. Out of curiousity I was going to leave them there and see if they'd replaced themselves while I was properly gone, but I just picked them up and put them back.

If I hadn't been on the phone to her at the time, I'd suspect my mother of sneaking in and doing it. She really wants me to buy a bread bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Vojera wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing Crutches up again, now I'll have another week of no sleep. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I never found crutches scary the first time, must go back for a re read:o
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I don't get sleep paralysis but I do get falling asleep jitters when I'm in the horrors and the above is exactly what goes through my mind :( I normally can't sleep unless the room is dark but there have been a few times when I'm shattered but in the grips of The Fear that I have to have some sort of a night light as I feel like one of those kids in a Freddie Kruger nightmare. Once I'm asleep I'm fine but falling asleep is literally a nightmare. On the one hand I know nothing bad is going to happen but on the other my brain is so scrambled that I see danger lurking in every shadow.

I get that too the night after being out or after eating a Chinese - think its the garlic?

Phew, start to finish. In 2 days. Amazing thread.

I'm a sleep paralysis veteran, first started when I was 14. I agree a lot of these stories could be explained with SP, dare I say, even the crutches one! I think I had a something similar to the crutches happen to me actually!!

I realised as an adult that I had suffered sleep paralysis as a small child, like 4 years old. I know suffer it very often as an adult but I know what it is so it doesn't freak me out. I try to enjoy it. Free hallucinations!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

gg2 wrote: »
    I never found crutches scary the first time, must go back for a re read:o

It may be because I read it at night, or because I have a really vivid imagination, but I could feel that story as I read it.

CLUNK... CLUNK... CLUNK... CLUNK...

CLUNK!CLUNK!CLUNK!CLUNK!CLUNK!CLUNK! Ahhhhhh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Couldn't sleep last night, and started reading this thread. Definitely couldn't sleep at all then.:D

gg2 wrote: »
    I get that too the night after being out or after eating a Chinese - think its the garlic?

MSG - monosodium glutamate, used in most Chinese restaurants and take-outs. Gives me headaches and nightmares, and sometimes sleep paralysis.

In the US you can often ask for msg free orders, but I'm not sure if you can in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Candie wrote: »
    In the US you can often ask for msg free orders, but I'm not sure if you can in Ireland.

But... It's so delicious! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Candie wrote: »
    MSG - monosodium glutamate, used in most Chinese restaurants and take-outs. Gives me headaches and nightmares, and sometimes sleep paralysis.

Yes you can ask for MSG free food in Ireland. Some take aways definitely do it. Sorry off topic!

• Advertisement

But... It's so delicious! :eek:

I know, like everything else that's bad for us :(
    Blingy wrote: »
    Yes you can ask for MSG free food in Ireland. Some take aways definitely do it. Sorry off topic!

Good to know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I have read this thread from the OP right up to here. The greatest forum thread of all time.

It's even made it's way into my sig! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I was driving to work one morning, it wasn't very early maybe 10 to 8 and I was driving along a lonely enough country road that had several houses on it but was only about 10 minutes walk from the next town. As I was just about to pass a lane way between two houses, a man ran out of the lane and and began waving his arms around in an agitated manner. I would normally stop to help if I saw someone in trouble but his manner and the fact that there were plenty of houses around if he needed help set alarm bells going so I decided not to stop.

I slowed my car and indicated to go around him as he was standing in the middle of the road and he tried to walk into my path to stop me but I managed to get around him. As I passed him I saw that the lane he had come from had a fairly new Caddy van parked just far enough in off the road to be concealed. I thought that was odd in itself (surely he hadn't broken down in a new van?) and when I looked in my rear view mirror he was shouting after me like a psychopath. A few days later one of the guys I worked with having heard my story, told me that the day after that happened to me a woman was car-jacked at knife point not far from where I had run into this guy and in similar circumstances. Lesson here is go with your gut, if it doesn't feel right don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

This is a story my cousin told me. It happened in the 1970s.

She, like the rest of us, lived in north London, an area which was home to thousands of Irish immigrants from the 1950s onwards.

She was about 14 at the time, coming home from a friend's house in Finsbury Park, a busy, well-lit area. This was a winter's night about 9 o'clock, dark and rainy. She was heading for her home in Somers Town which was a run-down warren of dark streets, goods yards, railway lines and council flats back in the day. And not many people around, especially at night.

My cousin got off the bus, and so did a man she'd seen while she was waiting for the bus. Even back at the bus stop she'd had a bad feeling about this bloke - something had set her nerves jangling.

He was apparently going in the same direction as she was - his footsteps were only a few feet behind. She started up the side road to the flats where she lived, so did he. Then panic set in, so she began to run.

She hadn't been wrong about him - he came after her like a a hunting dog.

My cousin was a school running champion at the time, and had a fair turn of speed. She got into the estate and ran for the block she lived on. It was one of those LCC post-war estates with several blocks of five or six storeys, ten flats on each floor and a communal balcony leading off the stair well, which all the front doors opened onto. No such thing as a lift - you used the stairs.

As she ran up the stairs she was about one flight ahead of him. He was grabbing for her ankles as she ran. She got to her floor, ran to the front door and lay on the door bell. She was too scared to get her keys out or press the bell push - that would mean turning her back on him. He didn't follow her onto the balcony though, he stayed on the stairs.

Her mother opened the door to this frantic ringing and my cousin fell into the hall on top of her, unable to speak from fear.
    When she finally got back the power of speech, she managed to tell the Ma what had happened.
    They had no phone. Her father was away at the time. It was just my cousin, her young sister and the Ma. But the Ma did something I think was very brave, considering what had happened. She went out onto the balcony to see if he was still around, and even looked on the stairs, but there was no sign of him.

She and my cousin were leaning on the wall of the balcony, looking out over the estate to see if they could see him anywhere. There was no sign of him ... till they realised that two floors below them, he was on a lower balcony, leering up and laughing at them.

No, he was never caught that we ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

This is a story my cousin told me. It happened in the 1970s.

She, like the rest of us, lived in north London, an area which was home to thousands of Irish immigrants from the 1950s onwards.

She was about 14 at the time, coming home from a friend's house in Finsbury Park, a busy, well-lit area. This was a winter's night about 9 o'clock, dark and rainy. She was heading for her home in Somers Town which was a run-down warren of dark streets, goods yards, railway lines and council flats back in the day. And not many people around, especially at night.

My cousin got off the bus, and so did a man she'd seen while she was waiting for the bus. Even back at the bus stop she'd had a bad feeling about this bloke - something had set her nerves jangling.

He was apparently going in the same direction as she was - his footsteps were only a few feet behind. She started up the side road to the flats where she lived, so did he. Then panic set in, so she began to run.

She hadn't been wrong about him - he came after her like a a hunting dog.

My cousin was a school running champion at the time, and had a fair turn of speed. She got into the estate and ran for the block she lived on. It was one of those LCC post-war estates with several blocks of five or six storeys, ten flats on each floor and a communal balcony leading off the stair well, which all the front doors opened onto. No such thing as a lift - you used the stairs.

As she ran up the stairs she was about one flight ahead of him. He was grabbing for her ankles as she ran. She got to her floor, ran to the front door and lay on the door bell. She was too scared to get her keys out or press the bell push - that would mean turning her back on him. He didn't follow her onto the balcony though, he stayed on the stairs.

Her mother opened the door to this frantic ringing and my cousin fell into the hall on top of her, unable to speak from fear.
    When she finally got back the power of speech, she managed to tell the Ma what had happened.
    They had no phone. Her father was away at the time. It was just my cousin, her young sister and the Ma. But the Ma did something I think was very brave, considering what had happened. She went out onto the balcony to see if he was still around, and even looked on the stairs, but there was no sign of him.

She and my cousin were leaning on the wall of the balcony, looking out over the estate to see if they could see him anywhere. There was no sign of him ... till they realised that two floors below them, he was on a lower balcony, leering up and laughing at them.

No, he was never caught that we ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

That just gave me the shivers:(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Higher wrote: »
    I remember I was walking home and decided to take a quick short-cut through a lane-way. There was a girl ahead walking on her own and she turned and saw me in the distance and kept walking. I looked at my phone and realized it was getting very late so I decided to pick up the pace a little. She turned around and let out a scream and started running so I started screaming and running as well.

I never actually turned around to see what was behind us. Survival instincts kicked in and I just ran as fast as I could behind this women.
    Best one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ah here, will ones of yas go and almost get abducted so we can have some more stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Ah here, will ones of yas go and almost get abducted so we can have some more stories?

Yeah, I miss this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

MagicIRL wrote: »

I lost an hour of my life earlier today. I think it was aliens. My boss claimed it was a "co nfere nceca ll". Sounds like alien language to me. And oh, the probing, so much probing! "What's the status on that?", they'd say. My screams for pity went unheeded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I had an interview for a job ages ago and I got a letter from them placing me on a panel. Last Wednesday night I dreamt that I got a job with the company and in the dream I was placed in a job in a large building with a huge reception/lobby area with loads of lifts and I took a lift to the first floor then got into another one to go to the department I worked in. Yesterday afternoon I got a call from the company asking me if I could start work on Monday week and telling me the location where I will be. This morning I headed into town to have a look at where I will be working - a large building, huge lobby, loads of lifts, I took a lift to the first floor and needed to take a different lift to the department where I will be working. I am a bit gobsmacked by the accuracy of my dream and am still not the better of it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I was at bingo last night with my mam.

She asked if I was feeling lucky and I said no... but a couple of games in, my hand got itchy and I said to her... I'm going to win something.

I won a tenner... but I said... no, i'm going to win again.... I can feel it and I won 30 quid on the next game.

She was WTF and I couldn't figure it out either. She asked me if she would win, I had to tell her love, not tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Was reading this thread last night, about midnight. I was alone in the house. Television off, not a sound to be heard anywhere. The still was eerie. I'm no believer or anything, but you couldn't help but be creeped out, right? Some of the stories on here...

Three ominous, booming knocks at my door. It's just after midnight. We know not for whom the bell tolls. I stood up and walked mechanically towards the door, all the time telling myself I was being stupid and it was nothing. The nagging, stupid little voice in the back of my head kept gibbering at me "Don't answer it!!! For God's sake, DON'T ANSWER IT!!!"

The logical voice in my mind kept saying "Don't be so bloody stupid! Answer the bloody door and stop panicking."

I couldn't help it. There was a slight sweat on my brow and a slight shake in my hand as I turned the key...

My housemate. Who had forgotten his keys. He threw me an odd look as I slumped against the wall and let out a huge sigh of relief.

Goddamn this thread... it's turned me into a fúcking paranoid wreck! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Sadderday wrote: »
    I was at bingo last night with my mam.

She asked if I was feeling lucky and I said no... but a couple of games in, my hand got itchy and I said to her... I'm going to win something.

I won a tenner... but I said... no, i'm going to win again.... I can feel it and I won 30 quid on the next game.

She was WTF and I couldn't figure it out either. She asked me if she would win, I had to tell her love, not tonight.
    did she do the bingo trick of rubbing your winnings off her own book?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

A few weeks after my Grandfather died, me and my mother were talking about him in the kitchen one night, when all of a sudden there were 3 loud knocks on the front door. I went out immediately and nobody was there. My Grandmother died a few months after. I never knew about the "death knock" before that.

This is an honest and true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Not really creepy or as serious as some of the other stories here but it's probably the most unnerved I've ever been.

A few years ago at college I was at a gig in the SU bar. It finished up about midnight and I had to walk through town on my way home. There were plenty of people about on their way to the nightclub but I noticed some fella look at me as I walked passed, me being in a hoodie made me stick out a bit I guessed. Anyway I walked around the corner and a few yards down the road when the song I was listening to ended and I could hear running footsteps behind me. I looked around and saw that fella running round the corner only to stop abruptly and start walking instead. I felt a bit uneasy and walked slowly til he passed me but he started walking just as slow; I stopped so I could "change the song" and "tie my laces" thinking he'd have no excuse to not pass me but lo and behold he too stopped in order to examine the window of the shopping centre (of course there was nothing to actually see since it's midnight and all lights are off and shutters down). He started following me again when I kept walking. I got to the crossroads where my right turn would take me off the main street and onto a fairly long stretch of road that can be quite quiet at night so I did the ol' 'fake crossing the road' trick and turned left, he was half way across the road when I turned around and walked passed him. When he followed suit and went to follow me right I decided this couldn't be a coincidence any longer and confronted him. He tried to pass it off as me being paranoid but he visibly sh*t himself, took the left turn and walked quickly down the main street without going into any of the clubs despite being dressed for a night out.

I'm assuming he intended on robbing me, but the joke would've been on him as all I had on me was a rubbish phone and a 1st gen iPod nano, he would have struggled to get 20 quid for them tbh. Of course maybe I was being paranoid and someone out there has a similar story about the time someone was walking erratically ahead of him before spooking him out of his night on the tiles :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Higher wrote: »
    I remember I was walking home and decided to take a quick short-cut through a lane-way. There was a girl ahead walking on her own and she turned and saw me in the distance and kept walking. I looked at my phone and realized it was getting very late so I decided to pick up the pace a little. She turned around and let out a scream and started running so I started screaming and running as well.

I never actually turned around to see what was behind us. Survival instincts kicked in and I just ran as fast as I could behind this women.

This made my night, LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

Possessed keyboard? We have a winner!

Haha.. just back reading the thread for the first time in a month.. had no idea I typed that.. oops

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

One night when I was about 17 and still living at home I'd stayed up after everyone else had gone to bed. It was about 3am and I was going in to the kitchen to put my glass and plate into the dishwasher. Our back door opens out of our kitchen and into the side return, and it was one of those doors that had a bubbly glass panel taking up the top third of the door. Anyhoo, I was just finished loading up the dishwasher and turned out the kitchen light then all of a sudden there's this hammering on the glass on the kitchen door, sounded like someone was about to break through the door. I was frozen to the spot and the banging continued. Suddenly I regained the use of my legs and tore out of the kitchen and up the stairs like someone had lit a fire under my arse, burst into my parents bedroom and started blabbering on incoherently about how someone was trying to get into the house.

I wouldn't usually react in such an extreme way, but it was the last thing I was expecting at that time of the night and it fairly put the shíts up me. My dad was about to go downstairs and check but I didn't want him to go down in case someone had broken in and was now roaming around down there. On our return landing there's a window that opens into the side passage, right over the back door, so Dad got a torch and opened the window to see what was going on. There was nobody out there. Still no idea what was going on that night but it freaked me the hell out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

When I was around 10 my family went on holiday to Galway (early 90s, no foreign holidays for us!) and stayed in a rented house. One night I woke up to loud laughter coming from downstairs. I listened for a while and it happened again so, being nosy, I went downstairs to see what was going on only to find the place in darkness and everyone in bed. Sprinted back up the stairs so fast and back into bed. Not as creepy as some of the stories here but was pretty scary at the time.

Advertisement