Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It was a bad idea to catch up on this thread while walking from the nitelink.

Vito, dude, post deleted. I hope ta jaysus you're as drunk as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Aphex wrote: »
    A few weeks after my Grandfather died, me and my mother were talking about him in the kitchen one night, when all of a sudden there were 3 loud knocks on the front door. I went out immediately and nobody was there. My Grandmother died a few months after. I never knew about the "death knock" before that.

This is an honest and true story.

This happened in my house and I think it was two of my aunts houses at 5am on the morning of the day that my Grandad died, but only my mother and aunts (his daughters) heard them out of all the people who were in each house at the time.

On his anniversary this year my mother dreamt they were standing at a bus stop (he was a bus driver for most of his life) and he was waiting on his bus to come, she said 100's of buses came and went but when his arrived he stepped onto the bus and immediately she was woken by 3 big loud knocks on the front door. She looked at the clock because it was black dark at the time and it was 5am.

Some of us have since had experiences with him since he died. About a year after he died my Gran woke up one morning and was lying awake for a while when she finally decided that she'd better get up as she threw the blanket off her onto his side of the bed the duvet obscured her vision of that side of the room for a second and when it fell down she saw my Grandad, much younger and in the prime of his life smiling down at her, she doesn't know how long they were looking at each other but he just faded away.

Myself and an aunt and uncle of mine have all seen him at different times in, and this sounds mad, mirrors. In my case I was parked and about to go into a shop. I looked in my rear view mirror and there he was sitting in the back seat. I got a shock and turned to look but he was gone, I'll always regret that a little.

It's not that I would class this really as creepy or unnerving as it's my lovely Grandad but I want to keep the thread going :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Vito, dude, post deleted. I hope ta jaysus you're as drunk as me.

Ach, now you have left us wondering what on earth he posted and precisely how drunk you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Ach, now you have left us wondering what on earth he posted and precisely how drunk you were.

It could never, ever top this... (and yes I know it was reposted in the last few pages, but god it's brilliant):
    ONE TIME I WAS HITCHING FOR A LIFT HOME AT NIGHT AND A CAR PULLED IN ABOUT 10 FEET AHEAD THEN I WALKED UP AND OPENED THE PASSENGER DOOR AND THERE WAS A SKELETON DRIVING THE CAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Msg is banned in america.

But not in Irish food....

It some places it is all over the food.

Msg is not banned in Ireland anyway.

It is made to make you eat more and make everything taste great.
    Candie wrote: »
    MSG - monosodium glutamate, used in most Chinese restaurants and take-outs. Gives me headaches and nightmares, and sometimes sleep paralysis.

In the US you can often ask for msg free orders, but I'm not sure if you can in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

did she do the bingo trick of rubbing your winnings off her own book?:D

:) of course, and a rub of the arm before the snowball game

But what if it wasn't an hallucination ? in the nursing home

Another story was....

It was actually a Nuns retiredment home but it changed hands so the nuns got moved to another ward and they took in other people as well.

So as the story goes nuns to get old and they die like normal people.

Well one time this nun was dying and it was near the time she had to stay with her in the room now this nun was dovoted to god.

She was old but she was terrified of dying my friend told me.

She was scared right up until the point of dying she was looking straight up to the ceiling and it was as if she just saw something or some one and she just smiled.

I myself have thought about this story for years and you would think someone that is devoted to god and religion would not be afraid of dying.

What did she see ?
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    Hallucination. More common than you'd think AFAIK, especially in an elderly population in a nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Hallucination. More common than you'd think AFAIK, especially in an elderly population in a nursing home.

Agreed, older people can often suffer from dehydration (even when in homes/hospitals) and this can bring on very vivid hallucinations.

My lovely step grandad was in hospital for a few weeks before he died (peacefully, in his 90s) and when he was awake once asked his son (my stepdad) who all those people standing around his bed were. There was only him and my mam, and when they explained this to him his expression just read "Uh oh, this doesn't bode well for me, does it?!"

I remember when I was a kid and being scared of the shadow man under my bed and under the stairs for years.

Maybe because my parents made me watch this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734758/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_24

Directed By Joe Dante. gremlins 1 and 2, the Burbs, eerie indianaNow a good few years ago I forgot that Ireland had internet yet and I decided to google my fears and the name shadow man.

Little to my surprise it is a phenomena and it has been around for years there is so much online about it.

I remember reading this story of a man sick in hospital he was in a coma for months and family were visiting him and he actually pulled out of it.

Family all around him so happy that he was awake and feeling better.

The man says I would really like to thank that man in the black suit and hat that stood by my bed ever day watching over me.

His family says...there was no man

he says there was he stood right there ever day.

No there wasn't.....

Now that later he kinda remember when he was a kid growing up he always used to see this man in the suit.

from what I myself have read is that there is a lot of cases of this and these entity's follow you threw out your entire life watching over you protecting you or who knows ?

City of angels the romantic film has them in it they are described as angels and there is an esp of Buffy with them in it.

No one knows what they want or are actually doing.

growing up and being scared of something that people are actually experiences is kinda creepy.
    Agreed, older people can often suffer from dehydration (even when in homes/hospitals) and this can bring on very vivid hallucinations.

My lovely step grandad was in hospital for a few weeks before he died (peacefully, in his 90s) and when he was awake once asked his son (my stepdad) who all those people standing around his bed were. There was only him and my mam, and when they explained this to him his expression just read "Uh oh, this doesn't bode well for me, does it?!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭speckledhen

Ok long story but will try and keep it short! The house that my dad grew up in is near our family home, more than 500m, a v. long walk in the pitch dark!
    In the good old 80's when there was never enough hot water my sisters and I would often take turns in going over for a Saturday bath, one of us would always go to keep the other company. It's an extremely creepy house not helped by it being in the countryside with no lighting and large trees beside the house. We've all had some"experiences" there, I think one of the worst was when my sister went ahead without me and when I arrived over she said that she had heard the front door opening and closing, footsteps up the stairs and voices. She talked back for a few mins before realizing there was no one there :eek:
    A few years later the house was sold, and I used to babysit for the new owners. The first night I was told it was normal for one of the children to wake up and act like someone was in the room but just to ignore him! Shortly after he went to sleep he woke up, and when I went up he insisted that there was someone behind the curtain and would I check. Nearly had a heart attack (didn't check either!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The house that my dad grew up in is near our family home, more than 500m, a v. long walk in the pitch dark!

You never said if your dad or his family ever had any weird experiences there? Who was living there when you'd go over for a bath?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭speckledhen

Sorry, it was an empty house for years, our family moved out when we were very young. My mum said that she was never very comfortable in the house and was glad to leave. Only story we were told was of my gran uncle that was coming back late one evening and every time he approached the house he felt like he was being pushed back. Might have been pub related though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

I had this girlfriend who got night terrors/sleep walking episodes. We always joked about them, but after reading this thread, I suppose it is a bit creepy.

So, one night I get woken up early in the morning to her jumping out of the bed screaming, screaming and screaming and she ran out of the room and then she went silent.

Still groggy and very confused, I went out of the room to find her and she was stood in the middle of the hallway like yer one from The Ring with the long dark hair and night dress and she was just staring down the hallway. Then she walked back into the bedroom, around me and not acknowledging me, still in the trance.

Anyway, she woke up shortly after and told me that she had been on fire and stopped when she saw someone with a bucket of water but before the water hit her everything was paused.

To help with the story, I thought I would get a photo of the one from the Ring for anyone who didn't know, which was a bad idea considering the half hour I have spent reading this thread and I have run away from the Google machine now.

I shall treasure the single life for a while longer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I was trying to get the full story of this for a couple of weeks to post here, will try to keep it short as possible but I will fit all the good parts in.

Near us is an old two story house, set back from the road, completely dilapidated and surrounded by dead trees, crows are the only bird I've seen there.
    My grandfather told me that this house had what was called a widow's curse placed on it, placed by the woman who had married into this farm but her husband died, leaving no family behind him. The husband's family felt they were entitled to the estate back but she refused. One night the house was set fire to and she was forced to leave under duress. She cursed all the families of those involved and that no-one would ever have peace in this place again.

Now I am going back to my grandfathers time with this story, so I may forget bits and pieces.
    It is told that a local priest carried out an exorcism on the house as suspicious noises and things were being heard and items moving etc. Whatever entity or spirit that was in the house now been moved to the pigsty that was in the yard. In the following years, the house was peaceful and thus the family knocked the pigsty as they now believed that the noises had just been a load of nonsense .
    So this spirit-curse-thingy moved back in.
    The family never had peace from then on, the few remaining relations of the widows deceased husband gradually went mad and the house was sold on.
    Now a neighbour who lived nearly bought it for his two sons, who would never sleep a night in the house as occurrences continued to happen.
    A local tradesman described how he installed a new floor in the building one day, only to return the next day to find the floor all dug up and neatly piled in the corner. However they farmed the land around it and they slowly went mad, one pulled out his own eye and the other lived as a hermit all his life and was found dead in his house after a couple of weeks.
    (I can remember him as this wasn't that long ago)
    Numerous lights have been seen in the house including one man who was doing some farm work for the two brothers in a field in front of the house. He turned back to look at the house and electric light could clearly be seen it in, even though it had been abandoned for years. Local farmers in the area, in need of land, have refused to purchase or indeed, have anything to do with the land. From the families who were allegedly involved in the burning, all have died out, bar one, who himself is a bachelor and leaves no family.
    I was doing a photography project on old houses being abandoned in the countryside so away went kovu, up to this old house I'd always been warned against. It was the eeriest place I've ever seen, it just felt off. So I took a few photos and scarpered. Got home and put the pics onto my laptop to edit a bit, cropping and such as I hadn't spent much time taking them so they were badly shot. First thing I seen in one photo was a fookin' skull of a cow balanced in a tree. :eek::eek:
    Nope, I wasn't having any more to do with those photos so I didn't use them in my project. I did however keep a zoomed in pic of the skull.

http://i.imgur.com/TYjCCBj.jpg

Jebus, sorry for the long post!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Image is removed....

or cursed or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

BillJ wrote: »
    Image is removed....

or cursed or something

Fixed it, that was odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

This is a story my cousin told me. It happened in the 1970s.

She, like the rest of us, lived in north London, an area which was home to thousands of Irish immigrants from the 1950s onwards.

She was about 14 at the time, coming home from a friend's house in Finsbury Park, a busy, well-lit area. This was a winter's night about 9 o'clock, dark and rainy. She was heading for her home in Somers Town which was a run-down warren of dark streets, goods yards, railway lines and council flats back in the day. And not many people around, especially at night.

My cousin got off the bus, and so did a man she'd seen while she was waiting for the bus. Even back at the bus stop she'd had a bad feeling about this bloke - something had set her nerves jangling.

He was apparently going in the same direction as she was - his footsteps were only a few feet behind. She started up the side road to the flats where she lived, so did he. Then panic set in, so she began to run.

She hadn't been wrong about him - he came after her like a a hunting dog.

My cousin was a school running champion at the time, and had a fair turn of speed. She got into the estate and ran for the block she lived on. It was one of those LCC post-war estates with several blocks of five or six storeys, ten flats on each floor and a communal balcony leading off the stair well, which all the front doors opened onto. No such thing as a lift - you used the stairs.

As she ran up the stairs she was about one flight ahead of him. He was grabbing for her ankles as she ran. She got to her floor, ran to the front door and lay on the door bell. She was too scared to get her keys out or press the bell push - that would mean turning her back on him. He didn't follow her onto the balcony though, he stayed on the stairs.

Her mother opened the door to this frantic ringing and my cousin fell into the hall on top of her, unable to speak from fear.
    When she finally got back the power of speech, she managed to tell the Ma what had happened.
    They had no phone. Her father was away at the time. It was just my cousin, her young sister and the Ma. But the Ma did something I think was very brave, considering what had happened. She went out onto the balcony to see if he was still around, and even looked on the stairs, but there was no sign of him.

She and my cousin were leaning on the wall of the balcony, looking out over the estate to see if they could see him anywhere. There was no sign of him ... till they realised that two floors below them, he was on a lower balcony, leering up and laughing at them.

No, he was never caught that we ever heard of.

Sidney Cooke's gang were active in nearby Hackney though it was boys they targetted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Cooke

I've posted this somewhere else on here before but its pretty creepy so I'm posting it again.

The night my Gran died my parents were returning home after dropping my Grandad home from the hospital. They had just started out on the bog road home and were the only vehicle around at the time as it was fairly late. There weren't many homes in the area and it was always pitch black but for the lights on your car. They were talking away and all of a sudden my father jammed on the brakes. In front of them on the road, only for a moment though, a creature stood only a few feet in front of them. It appeared to have the legs of a goat and I believe the top half had human like qualities but wasn't quite what you would call "human". It only stood about 2ft high. It dashed on into the ditch on the opposite side of the road and my parents drove home without saying a word about it. Months passed until one night my Mother turned to my Father and said "You saw what I saw the night your Mother died didn't you?" and he said without even having to think about it "I did, why didn't you mention it until now?" neither of them could figure out why they never mentioned it before then.

One night a few years later at a family party held by my mothers side of the family, people started talking about odd things they experienced and my mother told the story. It was then one of my uncles (by marriage) said "Out near where I have my site?" and my mother said "Yeah, just up near the bridge". I have never heard my uncle sound so freaked out before or since. He said that his Grandad had lived there as a boy and there used to be woods where that bridge and the road is now and his Grandad was warned to never go in or near there and nor would any of the neighbours because of the "little men" that lived there and only came out at night.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Sidney Cooke's gang were active in nearby Hackney though it was boys they targetted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Cooke

That is absolutely stomach turning. Animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

shuffles88 wrote: »
    That is absolutely stomach turning. Animals.

I think they're all in prison or dead now fortunately.

The disppearance of Martin Allen is still unsolved though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Martin_Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Followed home, hailed a cab when the guy following me got out of his van and started running toward me, guy runs up to taxi window and said he was worried about me walking home on my own. Taxi driver believes him and kicks me out of his car around the corner on discovering I have no money. 5 mins away from my house the guy in the van drives past me again, I look behind and he has stopped the van. Run up to an apartment complex and start ringing every buzzer, guy doesnt get out of his van for some reason and eventually a woman answers and calls me a cab for the half a minute journey to my house which she pays for.
    Next day report it to the guards and the following month my dad reads in his taxi magazine that there has been a number of rapes reported in the area recently. And if memory serves correct there were murders too.

Moral of the story: Never EVER walk home alone after a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

porsche959 wrote: »
    I think they're all in prison or dead now fortunately.

The disppearance of Martin Allen is still unsolved though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Martin_Allen

Thats so sad and heartbreaking for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

arf91 wrote: »
    Run up to an apartment complex and start ringing every buzzer, guy doesnt get out of his van for some reason and eventually a woman answers and calls me a cab for the half a minute journey to my house which she pays for.

Jesus that would freak me out. So nice of that lady to pay for your taxi too! People will always amaze me with how awful they can be, but also how great they can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

arf91 wrote: »
    Followed home, hailed a cab when the guy following me got out of his van and started running toward me, guy runs up to taxi window and said he was worried about me walking home on my own. Taxi driver believes him and kicks me out of his car around the corner on discovering I have no money. 5 mins away from my house the guy in the van drives past me again, I look behind and he has stopped the van. Run up to an apartment complex and start ringing every buzzer, guy doesnt get out of his van for some reason and eventually a woman answers and calls me a cab for the half a minute journey to my house which she pays for.
    Next day report it to the guards and the following month my dad reads in his taxi magazine that there has been a number of rapes reported in the area recently. And if memory serves correct there were murders too.

Moral of the story: Never EVER walk home alone after a night out.

Why did the taxi driver kick you out that doesnt make scense

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Why did the taxi driver kick you out that doesnt make scense

I was being followed home for a while before that point, I was walking the river home from Dublin city and the guy kept driving round the liffey in his van it wasn't til I was at heuston station area that I hailed the cab as he had gotten out of his van at this point and was coming toward me. He had driven round the liffey and pulled over twice asking me to get in. Can driver kicked me out after asking why I hadn't gotten a cab if the guy was really following me and I said I had no money. He didn't believe me =/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So the daughter of a taxi driver tells a story and the morale is to never every walk home alone.

Nothing weird about looking after your daddies livelihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Quazzie wrote: »
    So the daughter of a taxi driver tells a story and the morale is to never every walk home alone.

That's right quazzie you keep encouraging women to walk home alone in the dark possibly with drink taken and risk being abducted/raped or worse

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

D Trent wrote: »
    That's right quazzie you keep encouraging women to walk home alone in the dark possibly with drink taken and risk being abducted/raped or worse

If we believed every story there is probably just as much risk of it happening when they step into a taxi.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

Wow is that really what you took from that story? I'm so good at protecting my dads livelihood I didn't even realise I was doing it!

Advertisement