Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've had a few very realistic lucid dreaming experiences. So real.
    Can't reproduce them though.

A third hand experience, someone who is not prone to exaggeration. Witnessed seeing a woman walking a few feet off the floor.

This was in Sri Lanka, where he lived

My boss, who I used to work for. Stayed in a hotel in England.

Woken up by someone who grabbed his hand. Cold.

Told us this story. And was told later about similar experiences.

Weird. Don't know what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I posted a thread about this when it happened but its one of the creepiest things thats happened to me.
    A few years ago I was living in my parents house who were living out the country side in an isolated location, there were a few houses dotted around but they were mostly middle aged neighbours who kept to themselves.
    One morning at about 4 am I couldnt sleep and went down stairs, went to the back of the house when I suddenly hear someone run down the path that went between the back of the house and the back garden and stretched around to the side onto the patio, they ran past the gate, pushed it open and stopped outside the window of the room that I was standing in, I could hear them walking around a bit but I stood back from the window so they couldnt see me, I could hear my heart pounding. I had to get out of the room and the only way to do so was to open the door of the room I was in, the door was pretty loud and knew it would be heard from outside the window.
    Up until this I had been hearing noises outside at night for years, like someone hanging around the house at night, id hear footsteps, things being moved and I always felt that I was being watched at night in certain rooms with windows that faced the front and back of the house.
    I said it to my parents for years that someone is hanging around outside at night but they never took me seriously and I was beginning to think I was paranoid.
    Ever since that night I didnt hear anyone outside again, I suppose they knew they were caught as they would have heard me open the door form outside the window. Maybe they were a little more discreet about it after that but the noises mostly stopped.
    I never found out who it was but it still freaks me out when I think about it, all those nights of being down stairs in the kitchen feeling I was being watched but trying to convince myself I was just being paranoid when there likely was someone creeping around outside in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

maccored wrote: »
    A few years back I was camping in a forest area, on the side of a mountain. It was dark, and lights started appearing through the trees so after about half an hour and after trying to take some photos (which all came out completely black - well you could see the trees at the side etc but the lights themselves were coming out black), i went to have a look. Ends up the trees were only three of four deep until you got to the side of the mountain itself, and the mountain (obviously) keep going up as far as I could see. the lights stopped before i got there. i was probably less than 20 feet away. i assumed it was someone taking the piss.

I went back again about a year later in daylight as it (still) cant figure it out and realised that where I seen the lights was pretty inaccessible and even if someone was there, the only way out was to go past me. nevermind it was in the middle of nowhere on top of a rural mountain. The only thing I can think of is light coming from the soil of the mountain

Like methane release?
    Could have been animal eyes ?

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    My boss, who I used to work for. Stayed in a hotel in England.

Woken up by someone who grabbed his hand. Cold.

Told us this story. And was told later about similar experiences.

Weird. Don't know what to make of it.

I’ve had that experience very very occasionally. It is a lucid dreaming episode just prior to waking up. It is extraordinary what lucid dreaming can be like. I have eaten meals and tased e wry morsel from the plate, I have dialed on the old wheel telephones and feeling my fingertip in the hole and dialing every number, I have checked the texture of things around me to verify that my dream was real etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I’ve had that experience very very occasionally. It is a lucid dreaming episode just prior to waking up. It is extraordinary what lucid dreaming can be like. I have eaten meals and tased e wry morsel from the plate, I have dialed on the old wheel telephones and feeling my fingertip in the hole and dialing every number, I have checked the texture of things around me to verify that my dream was real etc etc etc.

Am I the only one here who is constantly trying to get INTO a state of sleep paralysis in order to easily get lucid! Managed it a few times but as soon as I realize and get excited I wake up :mad:

I posted a thread about this when it happened but its one of the creepiest things thats happened to me.
    A few years ago I was living in my parents house who were living out the country side in an isolated location, there were a few houses dotted around but they were mostly middle aged neighbours who kept to themselves.
    One morning at about 4 am I couldnt sleep and went down stairs, went to the back of the house when I suddenly hear someone run down the path that went between the back of the house and the back garden and stretched around to the side onto the patio, they ran past the gate, pushed it open and stopped outside the window of the room that I was standing in, I could hear them walking around a bit but I stood back from the window so they couldnt see me, I could hear my heart pounding. I had to get out of the room and the only way to do so was to open the door of the room I was in, the door was pretty loud and knew it would be heard from outside the window.
    Up until this I had been hearing noises outside at night for years, like someone hanging around the house at night, id hear footsteps, things being moved and I always felt that I was being watched at night in certain rooms with windows that faced the front and back of the house.
    I said it to my parents for years that someone is hanging around outside at night but they never took me seriously and I was beginning to think I was paranoid.
    Ever since that night I didnt hear anyone outside again, I suppose they knew they were caught as they would have heard me open the door form outside the window. Maybe they were a little more discreet about it after that but the noises mostly stopped.
    I never found out who it was but it still freaks me out when I think about it, all those nights of being down stairs in the kitchen feeling I was being watched but trying to convince myself I was just being paranoid when there likely was someone creeping around outside in the dark.

That's creepy in a couple of ways. I'd be pretty freaked out too, that's a horrible experience and realization. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I think I followed that thread, was that the one about the flower pots being moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

My brother had a troubled life and died in sad circumstances.
    We had his wake at home and the house was full of people, all talking away. I was in the room where his coffin was when there was an almighty noise from the kitchen which silenced everyone. A glass tumbler had flown off the table and landed on the floor with such force that we were still finding tiny particles days later. This thing looked like it had exploded, it was absolutely shattered to pieces, not shards.
    My cousin witnessed it and said nobody was near the table at the time, this glass launched itself.
    I will never forget the tremendous noise it made, it certainly got everyone's attention, which maybe was the intention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

We stayed in the clarion hotel in Sligo last year.
    Went in..a big room..5 of us..
    The room was so cold and we had heard of the stories from there.
    While we were giving out that it was so cold
    A knock comes to the door...a girl, staff, with a heater says " ye rang down for a heater"
    It was so weird in that moment, no one had rang down.
    Next day taking a video of one of the kids going down the hall and looking back on it you could hear someone shout in the video.
    Wouldn't stay there again!

Ex mental institute I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,299 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

BrenMar wrote: »
    My brother had a troubled life and died in sad circumstances.
    We had his wake at home and the house was full of people, all talking away. I was in the room where his coffin was when there was an almighty noise from the kitchen which silenced everyone. A glass tumbler had flown off the table and landed on the floor with such force that we were still finding tiny particles days later. This thing looked like it had exploded, it was absolutely shattered to pieces, not shards.
    My cousin witnessed it and said nobody was near the table at the time, this glass launched itself.
    I will never forget the tremendous noise it made, it certainly got everyone's attention, which maybe was the intention?

Something like this happened me recently. I was washing dishes at home when an empty (partially broken) pint glass just exploded into pieces. I must say I got a fright!

But then worked through it logically in my head - I had earlier put it into boiling water and taken it out when a chip broke off of the top. Obviously the hot water, combined with the chip has caused the glass to shatter and then give the impression of exploding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

ardinn wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who is constantly trying to get INTO a state of sleep paralysis in order to easily get lucid! Managed it a few times but as soon as I realize and get excited I wake up :mad:

Trust me it's nothing you want, it only ever happened to me if I fell asleep on my back, j make sure now that I'm not on my back when I fall asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Trust me it's nothing you want, it only ever happened to me if I fell asleep on my back, j make sure now that I'm not on my back when I fall asleep

I agree - I get sleep paralysis when I’m really tired. To try help myself I usually fall asleep on my side touching the bedpost. I figure that if I can feel the bedpost when it’s happening to me I’m ok and I’ll be able to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

A close relative of mine died when I was only 5 years old in a sudden accident.
    Because I was so young I only have 2/3 memories of this person but I am standing outside my home holding her hand and I look up and ask her are you going to die soon and she smiles back and says no don't be silly.

I have never discussed this with family and the memory is hazy almost like a dream.Down through the years I have wondered if it was indeed a dream but it has always stuck in my mind.

I do think young children experience things adults don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yes indeed I stayed there year's ago when it opened first and I was perished in the middle of summer I was so freaked out that night!

It absolutely was.
    I remember it from my youth.
    Scary place just an unerving feeling and cold when you are there.
    There's a movie on Netflix based on the asylum for anyone that would like to see it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Scripture_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Was a month ago I had gone to bed at about 11:30 pm, the alarm was set for early as my wife and I were due to travel the following morning. Was asleep for about 45 minutes and woke up as I could feel the sensation that someone was trying to pull me out of the bed to wake me up or something. Was a bit freaked as I never felt that sensation before or had such dream that I was aware of.

About 20 mins later my phone started to ring, it was my sister telling me to urgently get over to the family home as my mother was very unwell. Long story short, my mother unfortunately passed away and was being taken to the hospital just as I arrived there. Only now that the dust has settled over the past while I have been thinking of that night, I know it sounds stupid but it felt like someone was warning me to get up and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Noo wrote: »
    I think I followed that thread, was that the one about the flower pots being moved?

Yeah thats the one

Another one for me springs to mind.
    Not very "scary" but freaks me out nonetheless..still does.
    So I use the library lots
    When I was about 21 I took out a book, when I opened it at home there was a piece of paper tucked in the middle, there was a small black and white cartoon on it, and handwritten on the back was my date of birth. Including the year.
    I still don't understand or know why that happened. So strange. I didn't think too much at the time(blissful youth), and didn't keep it unfortunately, book looking back I'm still confused about it. What are the chances!

• Advertisement

No, Sleep paralysis if fine, have got to it a good few times, once your aware you control "the demons" as it were and wait to get lucid, pulling yourself from your body to achieve either lucidity or astral projection. I projected once, but got stuck in the roof :pac:

If you listen to jody whitely on youtube she can help get you ready for SP and lucid dreaming. Its a state I try to achieve regularly and im getting better at it.

SP cant be dealt with easily if it becomes too much in many ways, trying to move a finger is the easiest, instead of trying to force your whole body out of bed! Think of uma therman......... Wiggle your big toe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Like methane release?
    Could have been animal eyes ?

these were big lights - started off like traffic lights in three, then went into two horizontal ... not too sure what way they went after that as I was too busy trying to take photos. Hard to guess the size but they looked big even from 20 feet away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think that poster is getting confused with lucid dreaming rather than sleep paralysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have experienced some pretty far out SP experiences a few times although it is a few years now.

Usually I am trying to get out of it by shouting at the wife next to me to wake her but I am not making any sound. I am desperately trying to wake up and scream but no sound.

The last which must be about 3 years ago as we have moved house since was very vivid. At this stage I am conscious of the fact I am dreaming in my dream. I was floating up toward the ceiling in the bedroom and low and behold the usual evil darkness in the corner but I was calm as I knew it was a dream but still I am paralysed but not being able to shout or wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

I had sleep paralysis a few times. Once I hallucinated a freaky nun/demon/devil yoke reaching down and pulling my wire. It took me about 60 seconds to get out of it. Swear to god this happened me and I was so freaked out for days after it I left the lamp on in my bed room. I was awake but couldn’t move. Still freaks me out thinking about it

Freaked the crap out of me

I think that poster is getting confused with lucid dreaming rather than sleep paralysis.

I am not

Learning to lucid dream in the quickest and easiest way is to put yourself into sleep paralysis. Once there, your brain thinks your asleep, therefore initiates the lockdown that is SP. After that, there are methods used for entering dream states fully conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

It absolutely was.
    I remember it from my youth.
    Scary place just an unerving feeling and cold when you are there.
    There's a movie on Netflix based on the asylum for anyone that would like to see it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Scripture_(film)

I was a college student in Sligo in early 90s we used to use rooms in it for lectures as the college expanded it was still in use as a hospital then. Met many a patient who landed into our lectures.

Stayed there in its hotel form years later and just didn't feel comfortable with all the long empty corridors but had no negative experiences in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

knockers84 wrote: »
    I had sleep paralysis a few times. Once I hallucinated a freaky nun/demon/devil yoke reaching down and pulling my wire. It took me about 60 seconds to get out of it. Swear to god this happened me and I was so freaked out for days after it I left the lamp on in my bed room. I was awake but couldn’t move. Still freaks me out thinking about it

So basically you had a wet dream about a demonic nun **** you off. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Casey78 wrote: »
    So basically you had a wet dream about a demonic nun **** you off. :)
    Sure all men have some variation of that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

knockers84 wrote: »

Was this the NuN by any chance ?

MV5BM2JlOTc3Y2QtNmI1Ni00OGUzLWExZGYtZmYwOTBkODU5NmNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQW1yb3NzZXI@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Advertisement