Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and again, you probably don't always wake at 4.44.....get my drift?

I went through a spate of waking up at exactly 3.15am for a year or two after watching The Amityville Horror at an impressionable age... And it was only ever at that time so no confirmation bias.... But perfectly explicable by autosuggestion and subconscious time tracking which can be surprisingly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NCS wrote: »
    I went through a spate of waking up at exactly 3.15am for a year or two after watching The Amityville Horror at an impressionable age... And it was only ever at that time so no confirmation bias....

You might claim that but tbh I don't really believe you.

Do you mean every night at the same time. Every single night?

If you say yes, then I would say the odds of that are astronomical, and if it wasn't every night then you were waking at other times too, but were remembering the times you woke at 3:15.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You might claim that but tbh I don't really believe you.

Do you mean every night at the same time. Every single night?

If you say yes, then I would say the odds of that are astronomical, and if it wasn't every night then you were waking at other times too, but were remembering the times you woke at 3:15.

No, to clarify, the only time I spontaneously woke up mid-night was at 3.15am. Roughly once or twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Now this is getting creepy ðŸŽ႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I lived in Sydney for a year back in 2005/06. One night I was bored at home and seen there was a poker tournament in a pub not far from where I lived. It was advertised in some backpacker magazine. I asked my mates did anyone want to head to it but they were too busy smoking weed to care so I said feck it I'll go myself. It was not far from where I lived, just a short bus ride.

When I arrived at the pub the game was already in progress and there was feck all people there, plus it seemed a very cliquey crowd so I decided I'd return home. When I left the pub to go to the bus stop across the road I saw 2 pieces of paper whirling in the air about 2/3 feet above the ground on a sort of traffic island. It wasn't windy and it looked so bizarre the way they moved, when I walked over there was 2 australian 5 dollar notes still doing this weird floating in a circle thing above the ground. I grabbed them put them in my wallet and went home.

Kinda freaked me out as it felt so surreal, almost like something you see in a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I've never told anyone. About 3 years ago I was out the back of where I live having a smoke. Before you ask yes just a tobacco smoke.

I live in an estate of semi-detached houses all of the same configuration excepting the odd extension. I dunno the technical term. Looks like an A from the gable end.

Looking around across the houses in my sight I saw, while having a smoke, a man sized figure run along the spine of a house and then leap to the next semi detached house spine. Lost sight after that. Haunted as to what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Heckler wrote: »
    I've never told anyone. About 3 years ago I was out the back of where I live having a smoke. Before you ask yes just a tobacco smoke.

I live in an estate of semi-detached houses all of the same configuration excepting the odd extension. I dunno the technical term. Looks like an A from the gable end.

Looking around across the houses in my sight I saw, while having a smoke, a man sized figure run along the spine of a house and then leap to the next semi detached house spine. Lost sight after that. Haunted as to what it was.

Could it possibly have been a cat? Would be quite a jump from roof to roof.
    Or just a very athletic burglar.
    PS That must be why they're called "cat burglars" - I never realised!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Small but odd. Looked at the time yesterday before setting the phone to flightmode -it was exactly 1035. At the exact time time was wondering where my few days old order (special) and call from the shopgirl was .

Couple of hours later turned back on the phone -voicemail from the place I'd ordered the stuff at exactly 10:36 saying it was in - she must have literally been ringing as I thought about her. Bit spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Deub

I went to my granny's funeral last october. It was an unusual warm day for the season with no clouds in the sky. In the church, there was a ray of sunshine on my grandmother's coffin and I thought it was nice.

Anyway, the priest started the ceremony and suddenly a big butterfly appeared and flew above the coffin and kept flying between the first rows where all the close family members were and the coffin. At one point, my aunt put her hand out when it was close to her and it sligthly touched her.

We then went to the cemetery and when it was finished the employee from the funeral company read a poem. The first sentence of the poem was about a butterfly that landed on a window to deliver a message about life.

I thought the funeral company put the butterfly there on purpose but most of my family are from the area and they participated to a lot of funerals organised with this funeral company and it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Was having a bite to eat in a motorway service station earlier when "Flowers on the Wall" by the Statler Brothers came on. I love the song and I love the bit where the guy with the really deep voice is harmonising "kangaroo". Just as that bit was coming up, an ad came on and my OH was just laughing at how disgusted I looked because he knows I love that bit. He quipped "Imagine if they had "Waterfall" (Stone Roses) on and did that at the drum bit you like, you'd be so thick!" (There's a particular bit around 2 mins 20 seconds in that I love).

Anyway NEXT SONG was Waterfall! We just looked at each other with stunned faces! They didn't play any ads during it though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

My boyfriend's brother died suddenly and I stayed over the night of his Wake. I was sleeping in his room on a pull-out single mattress on the floor. I went off to bed in the early hours and just couldn't settle in there on my own, surrounded by his things.

After a while I started to feel really claustrophobic. Like there was someone there with a really strong presence. I shut my eyes tight and I felt like someone was literally lying on this single mattress beside me. As you can imagine, on a single mattress this felt just too close!

I stayed put, rigid with the heaviness of the atmosphere in the room and then I just couldn't take it anymore. I jumped up and ran downstairs to the rest of the family and friends and sat, clinging to my boyfriend. I just can't forget that feeling. I was so ill at ease.

For months later I would be randomly somewhere, nowhere near other people or strong smells, and I would get a waft of the smell of embalming fluid that he had that evening. That super-sweet powdery smell. I was holding his hand as he lay in a bed at his Wake and had the smell on my hands all night, so remembered it very distinctly. Every time I got a random blast of it I felt it was him saying hello to either me or his brother (my boyfriend).

Later again, I had a really vivid dream if this same man. We were sitting in a doorway and he was telling me that he'd had a really happy life and was totally ok where he was now. The way we were sitting was like after we spoke he would go through the door, away and I would stay on my side. It was very peaceful and I told my boyfriend about it and he got a lot of comfort from it. He was having a really hard time dealing with his brother's sudden death and particularly in the works preceding this dream. Maybe his brother knew that the way to get messages to him was through me as he was such a mess and may not have been as open to them?

Thanks for reading. Love this thread and first time posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

not exactly creepy but maybe pleasantly spooky. You know when people say they're ''channelling'' someone , or that every time they open their mouth , their mother comes out ?

It's happening to me non-stop for maybe 3 weeks . My grandmother had lots of phrases I'd forgotten until now . Eg I found myself saying ''hello,gersha'' to my friend's little girl . I have never heard ''gersha'' since my grandmother said it to me probably at the age my friend's daughter is now.

I think it's just resurfacing from my mind.

Now that I've remembered ''whipped cur'' and ''guttersnipe'', I'm going to make full use of them. They had the best insults.

Also ... I woke up one night/early hours to a strong smell of hyacinths . I used to smell roses where there were none. Both flowers she grew.

No doubt manufactured by my brain or some other explanation ...but I wasn't thinking of her at the time .

She said a few times that she smelled her deceased brothers tobacco in an empty bedroom of her house . To be honest, I was there and couldn't smell anything .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gardiner 2001

It was about 2003. Me and my friend we're in Prague in a restaurant. We we're sitting beside the window facing one another. I caught 2 men in uniform walking by the window with rifles over their shoulders. They were in full ww2 German uniforms with the swastika around their arms. I couldn't believe it, they just walked by the window on the path. I turned and just looked at them walk by. I said to my friend did you just see them 2 men in the German uniforms and he said no he didn't. I know what I saw but for the life of me I don't know what it was all about.

Could they have been part of a reenactment? I know people who do that and they look authentic

I'm not sure if your friend just wasn't looking or if he should have seen them too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Could they have been part of a reenactment? I know people who do that and they look authentic

I'm not sure if your friend just wasn't looking or if he should have seen them too

Similar to above. As a child in the car with the rest of my siblings. Squashed up against the car window passing an old house out in the middle of nowhere, when on the right I saw in full slow motion a soldier in WW2 uniform make a crouched run towards from around the side of the house holding a gun with a bayonet. it was like a scene out of a film in technicolor. This was way back before there would have been reenactments tbh. The guy I saw would have been a young man as well so not someone who might have enlisted in the war either. Stuck in my mind all these years...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

dubstarr wrote: »
    I only ask because i had sleep paralysis a few times in the past few months.And i havent had it in years.And i seen the shadow upstairs.

where you up and about when you seen the shadow or still in bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

reap-a-rat wrote: »

Anyway NEXT SONG was Waterfall! We just looked at each other with stunned faces! They didn't play any ads during it though :)

I was driving home one day and Crowded House - everywhere you go was on. I remember thinking to myself that there couldn't be many songs with the word 'kitchen' in the lyrics. Money for nothing was the only one I could think of.
    It was the next song played!

Crowded house - everywhere you go came on the radio at lunchtime. Had I heard Money for nothing I think I'd have had to pull over!

I often get that thing when someone you haven't seen for years keeps floating into your mind and you do end up either seeing them or or hearing about them from someone else . Luckily not like it is for some people where the person they kept remembering for no reason , dies!

I had quite an interesting dream last night . I was at a sort of living seance. Madonna's ''Like a prayer '' was the soundtrack . I'd take me all day to go into it but I want to do an experiment . I'm only going to do this once , regardless of how many dreams I have in future .

Just because the dream told me to , ok :D I know this is ridiculous but I'm half sure I WILL hear of them in some context at some point . I don't mind if I do or not and I hope this doesn't freak them or anyone who knows them out.

Right .

Cheeky McDonald, you taught me to tie my shoelaces, and broke your dad's windscreen with a golf ball. He used to whistle when he wanted to talk to you .

I've no idea why you were in my dream but if you know who I am, knock three times or send a sign....I mean say hello.

Same for you Padraig / Podge whose surname I don't remember but we'd have known each other by our Irish names...you were a terror for putting toothpaste in my hair. Your dad was in the RNLI and you walked with the boat on St. Patrick's day.

That's that done then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I just heard drops of Jupiter in a very remote non English speaking part of Europe. This song is a very powerful one to me that I use to reconcile where my parents and loved ones have gone to. Definitely nothing but still a ray of light

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I was driving home one day and Crowded House - everywhere you go was on. I remember thinking to myself that there couldn't be many songs with the word 'kitchen' in the lyrics. Money for nothing was the only one I could think of.

Crowded house - everywhere you go came on the radio at lunchtime. Had I heard Money for nothing I think I'd have had to pull over!

the Beatles "cry baby cry" or "she's leaving home" . :D

edit: oh and Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Stayed in renvyle and it was amazingly peaceful and rejuvanative.

Heard nothing about a haunted room while there

Stayed there on two occasions myself and never heard a thing about a ghost. You would wonder is it good or bad marketing in this day and age. The hotel was full of kids while I was there so maybe you don't share the ghost story in case the kids fear of the ghost prevent parents returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Can't believe it's so long since there was a post on this thread!

My teenager was up overnight in Dublin recently, it was her first time doing anything away from home without a family member with her and she was a little nervous. When she came home she told me she had a weird experience. In several different places around the city she passed a man walking amongst others. She said he was the absolute image of her Grandad, my late Dad, and everytime she saw him he was looking at her and smiling. Gave me the shivers, but nice too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LMC7

On the topic of dreams...

Years ago,I became friends with a man but I was always wary of him,it was as if my intuition was telling me to keep my guard up.The best way I can describe him is he had a very nasty streak.
    Anyway this stuff started spilling over into my dreams.
    In three separate dreams,a close family relative of his who had died through suicide is coming back to warn me against him.The third one was really vivid,she was standing in front of me smiling she told me she would finally disclose her reason for doing it(suicide) and I felt very peaceful.All of a sudden said friend appears almost demonic and hes twisting at my neck trying to break it.This is very strange I know!!
    Anyway the friendship ran its course in time but that dream really unnerved me.

I can't say I've even dreamt of deceased family members of mine before or since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It was about 2003. Me and my friend we're in Prague in a restaurant. We we're sitting beside the window facing one another. I caught 2 men in uniform walking by the window with rifles over their shoulders. They were in full ww2 German uniforms with the swastika around their arms. I couldn't believe it, they just walked by the window on the path. I turned and just looked at them walk by. I said to my friend did you just see them 2 men in the German uniforms and he said no he didn't. I know what I saw but for the life of me I don't know what it was all about.

Probably coming from a film set? Prague is often used as the backdrop in war movies esp WW2 movies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

fryup wrote: »

Probably coming from a film set? Prague is often used as the backdrop in war movies esp WW2 movies
    Similar happened to me one night. Went into the Turk's Head grand. Came out with a Head of my own on me, stumbled into the set of The Boxer with Daniel Day Lewis and thought I was in a Belfast sichooayshun for a few minutes. !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

fryup wrote: »

I went to prague and my brother and i visited a famous Jewish graveyard. (we're Irish jews)

A lot of people don't realize but at one time a lot of eastern european capitals had HUGE jewish populations.

Then we walked along the old town cobbled streets. All during this trip i have gotten this odd feeling. Like i just didn't like prague. It was an unfriendly vibe.

And it wasn't the prices for tourists or something or even the people. I was just edgy.

I found out later that the communists had used lots of jewish grave stones to repair the old cobble streets.

My brother and i had been walking on Jewish gravestones.

I was shocked because there is NO way you could know. They turned them around so you couldn't see any of the Hebrew.

Then it set me thinking the population at one time was big enough to re cobble the whole old city. And now its tiny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-46845131

I wondered .....was my soul freaked out?? Everyone else says the old town etc of Prague is beautiful.

But i just felt really nervous. I put it down to people trying to sell us stuff or something. But it just felt wrong.

I went to prague and my brother and i visited a famous Jewish graveyard. (we're Irish jews)

A lot of people don't realize but at one time a lot of eastern european capitals had HUGE jewish populations.

Then we walked along the old town cobbled streets. All during this trip i have gotten this odd feeling. Like i just didn't like prague. It was an unfriendly vibe.

And it wasn't the prices for tourists or something or even the people. I was just edgy.

I found out later that the communists had used lots of jewish grave stones to repair the old cobble streets.

My brother and i had been walking on Jewish gravestones.

I was shocked because there is NO way you could know. They turned them around so you couldn't see any of the Hebrew.

Then it set me thinking the population at one time was big enough to re cobble the whole old city. And now its tiny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-46845131

I wondered .....was my soul freaked out?? Everyone else says the old town etc of Prague is beautiful.

But i just felt really nervous. I put it down to people trying to sell us stuff or something. But it just felt wrong.

On a vaguely related note, not creepy as such but I once visited Jerusalem and if ever I found a place perceptibly crackling with subliminal tension, that was it. Superficially the obvious contemporary political strains, but also the sense of forces much more ancient currently at balance but just waiting for the green light. A chap with a hat and ringlets took me on a tour of a tunnel near the Wailing Wall and at its conclusion solicited a donation for charity in order to receive the blessing of two sons when I next visited the city. Not sure if I donated anything but I now have the two sons so I'm sure an invoice is on the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Bob Harris wrote: »

Oasis - Some might say. "And my dog's been itching. Itching in the kitchen once again"

And of course "Courting in the kitchen"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

NCS wrote: »
    On a vaguely related note, not creepy as such but I once visited Jerusalem and if ever I found a place perceptibly crackling with subliminal tension, that was it. Superficially the obvious contemporary political strains, but also the sense of forces much more ancient currently at balance but just waiting for the green light. A chap with a hat and ringlets took me on a tour of a tunnel near the Wailing Wall and at its conclusion solicited a donation for charity in order to receive the blessing of two sons when I next visited the city. Not sure if I donated anything but I now have the two sons so I'm sure an invoice is on the way...

Erm sorry but probably he wasn't not a real rabbi ....sorry to tell you ..its unlikely a rabbi would offer a gentile a blessing ( he would have called it a bracha/berakhah ) and it would have been in hebrew

I think a rabbi would have considered it rude to minister to a gentile. Its not like Christianity. And they wouldn't take money.

Did they look like these guys?

It might look the same to you but i can instantly tell they are not rabbis from dress and its confirmed when the guy goes 'inshallah' (arabic for god willing)

They are actually muslims. But there are lots of them around Jeruselem. The Israeli govt kind of allows it because they are obv not terrorists so why freak out??? Its pretty harmless.

Erm but you were conned by men who weren't jewish.

Jews aren't going to go up and give a gentile a blessing unless you ask (they would feel you might think they were proselytising) and they won't charge you. They don't feel non jews have to be jews or upgrade there relationship with god by becoming jewish or praying in hebrew.

• Advertisement

Erm sorry but probably he wasn't not a real rabbi ....sorry to tell you ..its unlikely a rabbi would offer a gentile a blessing ( he would have called it a bracha/berakhah ) and it would have been in hebrew

I think a rabbi would have considered it rude to minister to a gentile. Its not like Christianity. And they wouldn't take money.

Did they look like these guys?

It might look the same to you but i can instantly tell they are not rabbis from dress and its confirmed when the guy goes 'inshallah' (arabic for god willing)

They are actually muslims. But there are lots of them around Jeruselem. The Israeli govt kind of allows it because they are obv not terrorists so why freak out??? Its pretty harmless.

Erm but you were conned by men who weren't jewish.

Jews aren't going to go up and give a gentile a blessing unless you ask (they would feel you might think they were proselytising) and they won't charge you. They don't feel non jews have to be jews or upgrade there relationship with god by becoming jewish or praying in hebrew.

Heh, obviously I knew he was a scammer of one persuasion or another ;) Just funny the way things turned out.

Advertisement