Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

I worked with a guy who had spent 23 years on night shift. He looked 20 years older than the 51 years old he was.

I actually thought about asking him for a picture so I could show people and ask them to guess his age but thankfully I wasn't stupid enough to do so.

Not unusual at all, though things like vitamin D supplementation can help. It's hard to avoid the effects of shift work when our bodies are designed to work differently but some adapt better than others, of course.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    The dead won't harm you *,
    it's the living one's you've to watch out for !

Well , apart from maybe scaring you initially :p

The fright could give the person a heart attack mam :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The fright could give the person a heart attack mam :pac:.

Reminds me of a time I went on a sesh with an old army buddy of mine. We decided we'd meet at the boozer as I had a few things to do and so did he. We were having a great time, lots of drink, lots of craic, then comes closing time so we decided we'd go get an early breakfast. On the way he had a massive heart attack but I couldn't find my phone, so I had to use his to ring for an ambulance. They had to use the paddles and tap into the national grid but they revived him.

He told me the following day that he has memories of being dead, at least being aware of not being alive anymore, he said it was exhillerating, he was freed from his body, he could experience everything without feeling anything, he knew everything without needing to know anything, until he was suddenly dragged back to his body.... I believe the Shannon Scheme has a lot to answer for, but I asked him to prove it.

He told me my phone was in an armchair in my sisters sitting room, I only missed my phone when I went to call the ambulance. Turned out the phone was where he said it was, lucky guess I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Reminds me of a time I went on a sesh with an old army buddy of mine. We decided we'd meet at the boozer as I had a few things to do and so did he. We were having a great time, lots of drink, lots of craic, then comes closing time so we decided we'd go get an early breakfast. On the way he had a massive heart attack but I couldn't find my phone, so I had to use his to ring for an ambulance. They had to use the paddles and tap into the national grid but they revived him.

He told me the following day that he has memories of being dead, at least being aware of not being alive anymore, he said it was exhillerating, he was freed from his body, he could experience everything without feeling anything, he knew everything without needing to know anything, until he was suddenly dragged back to his body.... I believe the Shannon Scheme has a lot to answer for, but I asked him to prove it.

He told me my phone was in an armchair in my sisters sitting room, I only missed my phone when I went to call the ambulance. Turned out the phone was where he said it was, lucky guess I suppose.

Amazing stuff. There's a great book by Dr. Jeffrey Long, "Evidence of the Afterlife" where he investigates near death experiences. It seems many (if not all) experience similar feelings and situations such as your friend did. Being able to see all around you, in a full 360 degree. Knowing everything you could want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Amazing stuff. There's a great book by Dr. Jeffrey Long, "Evidence of the Afterlife" where he investigates near death experiences. It seems many (if not all) experience similar feelings and situations such as your friend did. Being able to see all around you, in a full 360 degree. Knowing everything you could want to.

To be fair I'd say he gets that from the missus.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

This actually reminds me of my experience from cca 2013. It's not a near-death experience, more like an out-of-body experience.

I had a really bad chest infection at that time and had a serious coughing fit. I couldn't stop coughing for a few minutes, and I felt like my chest is closing up. I couldn't breathe at all.

I have mild asthma as well so that might have contributed to it.

Anyway, one minute I'm on by bed, coughing and trying to take a breath, feeling an awful pain in my chest.

The next minute I'm standing in the corner of the room, watching myself sitting on the bed and coughing.

All the pain was gone.

It wasn't that I would be looking at myself on purpose, I just was just standing there with my head turned in that direction. I didn't care about anything. I had no thoughts going through my head. I was just there.

I can't really explain the state of having no emotions or thoughts. I wasn't worried about returning into my body, I wasn't worried about what's happening. I can't even say that it was peaceful.

I just was. Suddenly I started feeling the pain in my chest again and then I was back on the bed and took a deep breath.

It was really weird, surreal. I can't explain what it was like, or what happened. I suppose that the short-lived lack of oxygen played with my mind a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Posted twice

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

So I'm in a part of the world where it is currently the morning of the 1st of November. When me and the girlfriend went out to the car to leave for work this morning at 07:30 every single car window was fully down. We definitely did not leave it this was last night as it was raining. All four are electric windows and cannot not be opened without the keys and the keys were in the house with us. Maybe it could be some electrical fault but this never happened before so now idea why it would happen on Halloween night. Absolutely rattled to say the least. 

Also when i got home from work Tuesday evening the big garage door and side garage door were also open. There is absolutely nothing in the garage so we don't lock these doors so we figured this could be an attempted robbery or one of our mates playing a trick but it is impossible to do this with the car windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    ardinn wrote: »
    I thought that was 12-1?

Don't know about the witching hour , but often heard nurses saying between 3-4 was a telling time for patients who were very ill..
    That's to do with circadian rhythms look it up very interesting...and true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

i have a random qustion that i admit is off topic but is related to an above post.

When you look back at your own memories....do you see out through your own eyes? Or do you see a 3rd party looking at you experiencing the memory?

Its always been the 3rd party style for me. I have no memories at all where I see through my own eyes.

Like if I think back to this morning at the dentist, I dont see out through the dentists glasses, I see it from the side, or from above, of me being in the dentist chair. Can see my arms and torso and legs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

i have a random qustion that i admit is off topic but is related to an above post.

When you look back at your own memories....do you see out through your own eyes? Or do you see a 3rd party looking at you experiencing the memory?

Its always been the 3rd party style for me. I have no memories at all where I see through my own eyes.

Like if I think back to this morning at the dentist, I dont see out through the dentists glasses, I see it from the side, or from above, of me being in the dentist chair. Can see my arms and torso and legs etc.

Same. Third party for me too. As though I'm looking at the scene as another person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Interesting question !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Great thread.

When I was about 5 years old, I woke in the middle of the night to see a figure standing in the corner of my room. At first I thought is was my father who was working a night shift at the time, so naturally I got up to greet him, the room was mostly dark save for some moonlight sneaking in through the curtains.

I got up to run over to my father but quickly released though that this was not my father, but rather a total stranger. This man was just standing there staring dead ahead. He didn't move once. His eyes were soulless.

This figure or apparition was dressed in clothing from, I would guess, the 1930s. His hair was kind of slicked I think, he wore a white shirt, a waistcoat and tan trousers and had a mustache.

Naturally not knowing what the hell was going on, being only five, I screamed the house down and was inconsolable. My mother was asleep in the same room and brought me down to the kitchen were my father had returned from work.

They basically tried to calm me down and tired to pass it off as a bad dream, but in all honesty what I saw was too detailed to be a dream, and perhaps that's all it was but it has always stayed with me. it's hard to explain but sometimes you just know you've seen something that isn't quite right. It was something of a mildly stormy night and we then heard a loud bang come from upstairs.

My mother looked at my father and he back to her, to say they looked quietly terrified would be an understatement.

I never slept in that room again. Even now, as a 31 year old grown man, I'm not afraid to admit I flinch just a little if I have to go into that room, In fact I'm getting the creeps just writing this.

Nothing else happening in the house, but the general area is known to be paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    So I'm in a part of the world where it is currently the morning of the 1st of November. When me and the girlfriend went out to the car to leave for work this morning at 07:30 every single car window was fully down. We definitely did not leave it this was last night as it was raining. All four are electric windows and cannot not be opened without the keys and the keys were in the house with us. Maybe it could be some electrical fault but this never happened before so now idea why it would happen on Halloween night. Absolutely rattled to say the least. 

Also when i got home from work Tuesday evening the big garage door and side garage door were also open. There is absolutely nothing in the garage so we don't lock these doors so we figured this could be an attempted robbery or one of our mates playing a trick but it is impossible to do this with the car windows.
    Sometimes if u hold ur open/lock button on key it opens all the windows. I lay on mine one night on the sofa. Didnt realise this until next morning. When i got up the car was drenched. Quick google, lesson learned

The garage thing is probably a burglary of some sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You accidentally sat on your keys and held the unlock button. This lets down all the windows on your car. Mystery solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Candie wrote: »
    Humans are meant to shut down in the dark and be active in the light, it's one of the reasons why people with a later chronotype (night owls) tend to die a bit younger.

It's the auld correlation / causation conundrum again innit.
    I think you'll find that night owls also tend to partake in more "shenanigans" shall we say than their early rising brethren.
    I'd say that could well be your culprit right there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Mad coincidence but this happened to me the other morning, I think it was Sunday. Looked out the window when I came downstairs and saw that every window on my car was fully down! I went out to the car and it was locked so I couldn't figure it out.

After a bit of a google search (expecting to be planning a trip to the garage to get some faulty electrics fixed), I discovered that almost all car key fobs have a feature where if you press the unlock button once then press it again and hold it all of the windows in the car go down automatically. This is apparently a feature which allows you to get the windows down quickly during the summer when the car is roasting without having to wait until you get in and get the keys in the ignition.

*I see others have explained above!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

What has happened is you have sat on your key fob button causing all the windows to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

A friend of ours lost her husband a few years ago and something similar happened to her.

He spent the last few days of his life in a hospice - he had moved from hospital to a hospice so hadn't been home in weeks. He was slipping in and out of consciousness, but when he was awake, he would ask her questions about home or about something she did, which he could not have known about as he hadn't been with her or been physical present the house.

After he died and the funeral was over, when the grief and stress of her finances, paperwork had subsided, she had the emotional and mental time to revisit and be gobsmacked about some of the things he had asked her before he died.

In the days before his death, she had taken money out their joint account and had put some cash in a safe place at home. He told her not to put the money in X place, but put it in another tucked away spot in the house. No way he would've have known that, she said. He also asked her bizarrely if she got new curtains yet to replace the ones that had fallen down - the curtains came undone the day before.

There were a few little small details he mentioned too, stuff that she didn't tell him, conversations she had had with people, things she would never have dreamed of telling him as he was so sick, but he seemed to know about anyway. She is not at all religious either and a very matter-of-fact person, so found it all very baffling and peculiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

My best friend's dad passed away a few years ago, I spent a lot of time in the house so would have been close enough to him.

A few days after he died, I had a dream where he sat me down and made sure I was going to tell the family that he was ok, in a good place etc. Now I just put it down to a dream but when I told the family, they really believed that it was him, despite being sceptics before any of this. I thought maybe it was just comfort to them to think it and it'd be forgotten but it hasn't....years later they still go on like I was talking to him..and that he probably didnt come to any of them so as not to upset them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Cool thread :)

I'll start by declaring that I don't believe in anything spiritual, paranormal or afterlives etc etc. I use science, logic, randomness and math probability for my explanations.

Anyhow. My little story. I have an old valve radio belonging to my parents that I finally got repaired 6 weeks ago. They had it their whole married lives so since '66 but it hadn't worked in years. I'd say about 15-20 years or more since it worked properly.
    For story purposes, my Mum died two years ago and was cremated.
    Fast forward to me collecting the radio. Chap is explaining what he done, safety aspects and all that. He turns it on. We wait for it to warm up. He then presses one of those chunky grey buttons (he had a choice of 6) for preset frequencies. Dial jumps to what was Lyric FM. And bang! What comes on only the song that was played as my Mum was cremated! Very very weird and I was silent for a few seconds. I took out my phone and recorded video as I knew my siblings would want proof.
    I took it as complete randomness. Just a song played on the radio nothing else. But the odds. The very very long odds and sequences that needed to be in place for that song out of a million songs to be played at that time was mad.
    My siblings and my girlfriend all reckon that Mum was simply saying hello. Which when you are missing someone will make sense and feel warm.
    I'll leave it up to you. Very very random. Not super scary or ghostly sorry! Although the radio guy was slightly freaked :)
    But a nice little story I hope :o

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

I’m a 40 year old woman. About 20 years ago, a good friend died instantly in an accident. We were friends from college and had graduated a year before. Anyway, I was very fond of him and devastated to hear of his death.

I won’t identify him, so I will call him Mark from Waterford. Mark had just started working as a teacher.

I found out the night before the funeral, and I wasn’t able to get there, despite begging my dad to bring me. He didn’t like long drives !
    I felt so bad that I wasn’t there to pay my respects.
    Anyway, cut to three weeks after the funeral. I’m in Dublin for the day, as I had a job interview. I’m from the country and after the interview, I was making my way down Middle Abbey Street to Bus Aras to get the bus home. It was the evening rush, around 5:30pm and the pavement was thick with people. Out of nowhere a young man, who looked about late twenties started talking to me alongside me. He was well dressed and smiling at me. I think he started by asking me how I was. I, not being used to being ‘in town’ didn’t engage in the conversation and tried to brush him off.

After a few seconds, he starts telling me he’s a teacher and he’s from Waterford! As this is sinking in, he stops in his tracks and said something like “sure I’ll let you go”, all very friendly. Then he shouts after me “my name’s Mark by the way!”. I stopped and turned around, I couldn’t see him anymore.

Coincidence? I don’t know. But it’s always stayed with me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shop40 wrote: »
    I’m a 40 year old woman. About 20 years ago, a good friend died instantly in an accident. We were friends from college and had graduated a year before. Anyway, I was very fond of him and devastated to hear of his death.

I won’t identify him, so I will call him Mark from Waterford. Mark had just started working as a teacher.

I found out the night before the funeral, and I wasn’t able to get there, despite begging my dad to bring me. He didn’t like long drives !
    I felt so bad that I wasn’t there to pay my respects.
    Anyway, cut to three weeks after the funeral. I’m in Dublin for the day, as I had a job interview. I’m from the country and after the interview, I was making my way down Middle Abbey Street to Bus Aras to get the bus home. It was the evening rush, around 5:30pm and the pavement was thick with people. Out of nowhere a young man, who looked about late twenties started talking to me alongside me. He was well dressed and smiling at me. I think he started by asking me how I was. I, not being used to being ‘in town’ didn’t engage in the conversation and tried to brush him off.

After a few seconds, he starts telling me he’s a teacher and he’s from Waterford! As this is sinking in, he stops in his tracks and said something like “sure I’ll let you go”, all very friendly. Then he shouts after me “my name’s Mark by the way!”. I stopped and turned around, I couldn’t see him anymore.

Coincidence? I don’t know. But it’s always stayed with me.

That's more common than you think, Probably his way of letting you know he's ok, I've heard of similar stories where people have seen loved ones/friends on the opposite side of the street or they'll get phone calls with their loved telling them there ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

That's more common than you think, Probably his way of letting you know he's ok, I've heard of similar stories where people have seen loved ones/friends on the opposite side of the street or they'll get phone calls with their loved telling them there ok.
    Thank you, this is what I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jeez, I was told the exact same story once. Guy I knew who got a phone call from a close friend who had commited suicide, to say that he was ok.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Alicano wrote: »
    Cool thread :)

I'll start by declaring that I don't believe in anything spiritual, paranormal or afterlives etc etc. I use science, logic, randomness and math probability for my explanations.

Anyhow. My little story. I have an old valve radio belonging to my parents that I finally got repaired 6 weeks ago. They had it their whole married lives so since '66 but it hadn't worked in years. I'd say about 15-20 years or more since it worked properly.
    For story purposes, my Mum died two years ago and was cremated.
    Fast forward to me collecting the radio. Chap is explaining what he done, safety aspects and all that. He turns it on. We wait for it to warm up. He then presses one of those chunky grey buttons (he had a choice of 6) for preset frequencies. Dial jumps to what was Lyric FM. And bang! What comes on only the song that was played as my Mum was cremated! Very very weird and I was silent for a few seconds. I took out my phone and recorded video as I knew my siblings would want proof.
    I took it as complete randomness. Just a song played on the radio nothing else. But the odds. The very very long odds and sequences that needed to be in place for that song out of a million songs to be played at that time was mad.
    My siblings and my girlfriend all reckon that Mum was simply saying hello. Which when you are missing someone will make sense and feel warm.
    I'll leave it up to you. Very very random. Not super scary or ghostly sorry! Although the radio guy was slightly freaked :)
    But a nice little story I hope :o

I have recently experienced something similar.

When my dad died, we were arranging his funeral and my mam mentioned that he had sang a song to her in the church on their wedding day and she would like it played during his funeral mass.

This was news to me, as I had never ever heard dad sing a note, and at first I thought she was dreaming, but other relatives that were at their wedding (55 years ago) confirmed that he had sung a song in the aisle and after a bit of research with some partially remembered lyrics we tracked it down to being 'Because' by Mario Lanza. We downloaded the track and mam got her request at the end of the funeral mass, although on hearing the song I still couldn't believe that dad had actually sung it.

Three weeks later, I was making my way to the deaths registry office to conclude the necessary paperwork and obtain a death cert. When I got there, the office was closed for lunch. Since I had half an hour to spare, I wandered into a nearby charity shop. Dad and I would often buy each other bits and pieces in these shops and it was a long standing family joke that we always bought rubbish that only the two of us could possibly be interested in. It seemed very appropriate to me that I should spend a few minutes in a charity shop, while waiting to do a final duty for my dad.

On entering the shop, I noticed a scruffy box of old 7 inch single records and pulled out one at random. I nearly dropped when I looked at the label and saw that it was an original recording of Mario Lanza singing 'Because'. I bought the record after the initial shock wore off and I brought it home to mam. When she asked where I got it, I told her dad gave it to me and it was for her.

I think the odds of me finding that particular record at that exact time are too much for it to be a total coincidence and I am choosing to believe that it was a message from my dad. I never believed in such influences before, but this was so appropriate on so many levels that I think there has to be more to it.

Jeez, I was told the exact same story once. Guy I knew who got a phone call from a close friend who had commited suicide, to say that he was ok.
    Shop40 wrote: »
    Thank you, this is what I hope.

Always seems to happen when you least expect it too.

I heard of another story of a woman driving on the m50 and her friend had died recently and she never got to say goodbye and was feeling pretty down and was thinking of her friend at that moment, anyway she was stuck in traffic on the m50 and who pulls up beside her only her friend and she waves at her and then traffic started moving and she tried to keep up with the car but she couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Not unnerving but more co-incidental.

Went for a weekend away to Kildare a month ago. We planned to go to the Whitewater shopping centre and while waiting to park in the traffic queue I was talking with my wife about looking forward to seeing First Man, the Neil Armstrong biopic and by way of conversation asked her if she remembered that old song from the 90's, Sleeping Satellite by Tamsin Archer. She vaguely remembered how it went, but remembered it as a good song. It wouldn't currently get a lot of air time. I said it was actually a song about the Apollo missions but I recently got the grasp of what she was singing about. While waiting she started to look it up on youtube but through a combination of a slow connection and the traffic starting to move, we forgot about it while parking up the car. While in the shopping centre we both went to use the bathroom. I'm washing my hands while the radio is playing and guess what starts playing on the radio. I walk out to meet her and we both laugh at the coincidence. I guess rationally with the new film, it must have gotten a new lease of airplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

valoren wrote: »
    Not unnerving but more co-incidental.

Went for a weekend away to Kildare a month ago. We planned to go to the Whitewater shopping centre and while waiting to park in the traffic queue I was talking with my wife about looking forward to seeing First Man, the Neil Armstrong biopic and by way of conversation asked her if she remembered that old song from the 90's, Sleeping Satellite by Tamsin Archer. She vaguely remembered how it went, but remembered it as a good song. It wouldn't currently get a lot of air time. I said it was actually a song about the Apollo missions but I recently got the grasp of what she was singing about. While waiting she started to look it up on youtube but through a combination of a slow connection and the traffic starting to move, we forgot about it while parking up the car. While in the shopping centre we both went to use the bathroom. I'm washing my hands while the radio is playing and guess what starts playing on the radio. I walk out to meet her and we both laugh at the coincidence. I guess rationally with the new film, it must have gotten a new lease of airplay.

Experiences like that are very interesting.

Synchronicity
    Examples of synchronicity would be a random conversation between passersby that appear to address your own inner questions; sequences of events that completely escape a daily routine and lead you to unexpected new circumstances; or a music in the radio that accompanies a unique moment you’re living. Events that occur and co-incide together, related by meaning rather than ‘visible’ cause.

I had a similar experience some years ago. Was listening to the radio and heard a track. Took my phone to text my friend the message, '2fm' that was it. Immediately after I sent the message and went back to the home screen, I noticed I had just received a message while sending mine. From the friend. '2fm'.

The two of us had been listening to the radio in separate locations, heard a track, thought of the other person and sent the exact same message, virtually simultaneously.
    I've often thought of that moment as an indication of how connected we were.

This also relates to a common enough experience where we see a real life event and use it to give meaning to our decision making.

The right path
    Jung believed that synchronicities mirror deep psychological processes, carry messages the way dreams do, and take on meaning and provide guidance to the degree they correspond to emotional states and inner experiences.

For example, you’re trying to decide whether to say yes or no to a particular opportunity, and while driving on the freeway someone suddenly cuts in front of you and you notice the bumper sticker: Just Do It!

I think the concept of synchronicity is key to the thought process for people reading their horoscopes and then feeling that they are actually relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

Although I'm diminishing the sincerity a little bit, I assure you what I write to be true. My mam often tells this story herself!

I was perhaps 5 or 6? I had just started junior infants and it was some night in the middle of the week.

My mam woke up in the pitch black of her bedroom. She says she had felt a presence in the room. There I am, standing beside her bed with a large bread knife, eyes-open, looking at her. She asked me what I was doing at that point, and I said something about "going back to bed". She got out of the bed, took the knife from me and put me back to bed.

I had gone downstairs in the middle of the night and taken a knife from the kitchen, from where I couldn't reach, went upstairs and stood beside the bed (still have no idea for how long). I remember nothing.

I've been told I was sleepwalking. I've have had one other notable instance of sleepwalking in my past, although not to the extent of what's described above. I'm quite amazed and glad that the parents decided against putting me down with my pillow the following evening.

Advertisement