Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love spike island. When we went it was a sunny day and the tour was brilliantly done. On the part of the visit where you can stroll around yourself we had a good nose around and I didn't feel or think it was in any way creepy. Then we walked into a particular corridor of a particular building and panic hit me, a sickening feeling of "I need to gtf out of this building". It was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Putting my daughter to bed over the weekend (she's 5, and a very logical 5 at that). She wanted a drink so I go downstairs to get some water and when I come back a few seconds later, she tells me the lady was rubbing her hair and that she often does in the night time but she stops when I come into the room.
    I haven't mentioned it to my missus - she'd have the house for sale within the hour!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Putting my daughter to bed over the weekend (she's 5, and a very logical 5 at that). She wanted a drink so I go downstairs to get some water and when I come back a few seconds later, she tells me the lady was rubbing her hair and that she often does in the night time but she stops when I come into the room.
    I haven't mentioned it to my missus - she'd have the house for sale within the hour!
    Kids are great craic .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

blinding wrote: »
    Kids are great craic .

Tell me about it.
    I was sitting down last night with a cup of tea, just channel flicking before going to bed and then from upstairs I hear a scream "Dad, the man is in my room again".

Well I dropped my tea in fright ... I don't have any kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

razorblunt wrote: »
    Tell me about it.
    I was sitting down last night with a cup of tea, just channel flicking before going to bed and then from upstairs I hear a scream "Dad, the man is my room again".

Well I dropped my tea in fright ... I don't have any kids.
    But , You do have a Man in the Room !;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'm shocked! you're getting slow SB!

...should have sent the kid for the water and seen what else the lady would rub!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Whispered wrote: »
    I love spike island. When we went it was a sunny day and the tour was brilliantly done. On the part of the visit where you can stroll around yourself we had a good nose around and I didn't feel or think it was in any way creepy. Then we walked into a particular corridor of a particular building and panic hit me, a sickening feeling of "I need to gtf out of this building". It was horrible.

This happened to me in the tunnels. I was nearly crying down there. I'm not claustrophobic or anything like that, but the tunnels gave me an awful feeling and I needed to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

blinding wrote: »
    But , You do have a Man in the Room !;)
    I AM the man in the room

Nothing scary in the way of ghosts has ever happened to me but I do get odd kind of feelings now and then. It could just be my own unconscious playing tricks on me. Sometimes I'll wake in the middle of the night and be a bit spooked for no obvious reason. The mind can be more terrifying than our environment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nothing scary in the way of ghosts has ever happened to me but I do get odd kind of feelings now and then. It could just be my own unconscious playing tricks on me. Sometimes I'll wake in the middle of the night and be a bit spooked for no obvious reason. The mind can be more terrifying than our environment.

I get the same feelings if I wake between 3am and 4am, the witching hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I get the same feelings if I wake between 3am and 4am, the witching hour.

I thought that was 12-1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Edit - I'm dead right!!

/smug grin!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

ardinn wrote: »
    I thought that was 12-1?

Maybe it's 3-4 for jet-lagged witches, or witches on the late shift. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I thought that was 12-1?

Don't know about the witching hour , but often heard nurses saying between 3-4 was a telling time for patients who were very ill..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Always heard 3/4am here too, darkest before dawn & all that. Seems that 12/2am is a more recent thing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witching_hour_(supernatural)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I thought that was 12-1?

I dispute this claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Don't know about the witching hour , but often heard nurses saying between 3-4 was a telling time for patients who were very ill..

Screen+shot+2010-10-24+at+12.14.15.png

Ever since watching the original Amityville Horror, the number of times I've woken randomly, checked the time and it's 3.15am....

NCS wrote: »
    Screen+shot+2010-10-24+at+12.14.15.png

Ever since watching the original Amityville Horror, the number of times I've woken randomly, checked the time and it's 3.15am....

Be afraid .

Be very afraid............

Be afraid .

Be very afraid............

giphy.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

3am - 4am is the witching hour and that is based on the fact that Christ died on the cross at 3pm so 3am is the opposite and therefore the witching hour

• Advertisement

Your body temperature drops to it's lowest at around 4am, so if you're very ill and weak its harder for your body to recover and the slight variation becomes the difference between life and death.

Candie wrote: »
    Your body temperature drops to it's lowest at around 4am, so if you're very ill and weak its harder for your body to recover and the slight variation becomes the difference between life and death.

That makes so much sense , thank you for that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Around 4am is the peak time for suicides too.

Around 4am is the peak time for suicides too.

It's the point where your temperature is at it's lowest, hormone secretion is at it's lowest, your metabolism is at it's slowest, and most of your normal functions are slower or less efficient. As a result you're at your clumsiest, your least resilient, your most exhausted, and it makes sense that the cumulative effect on someone already struggling might result in a critical point being reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Don't forget to leave some food out for the souls!!

They rise from the dead at midnight and roam the roads.
    The food is to let them know they're welcome.
    :pac::pac::pac:

ellejay wrote: »
    Don't forget to leave some food out for the souls!!

They rise from the dead at midnight and roam the roads.
    The food is to let them know they're welcome.
    :pac::pac::pac:

I won't be leaving out any food so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's the point where your temperature is at it's lowest, hormone secretion is at it's lowest, your metabolism is at it's slowest, and most of your normal functions are slower or less efficient. As a result you're at your clumsiest, your least resilient, your most exhausted, and it makes sense that the cumulative effect on someone already struggling might result in a critical point being reached.

As someone who worked shifts for most of his life I can understand that. Night shifts at 3 to 4 am are when you are at your lowest. As time moves onto to about 6 you seem to come alive again.
    God I don't miss those days at all.

I won't be leaving out any food so :pac:

The dead won't harm you *,
    it's the living one's you've to watch out for !

Well , apart from maybe scaring you initially :p

OldRio wrote: »
    As someone who worked shifts for most of his life I can understand that. Night shifts at 3 to 4 am are when you are at your lowest. As time moves onto to about 6 you seem to come alive again.
    God I don't miss those days at all.

Chronobiology and biological psychology are areas that study that area and elucidate the negative effects of long term shift work on many people, both physical and psychological.

Humans are meant to shut down in the dark and be active in the light, it's one of the reasons why people with a later chronotype (night owls) tend to die a bit younger.

And the above is probably partially responsible for the myths about being outside in the dark late at night and at risk of spirits and bad things happening, and similarly themed legends that are common to just about every culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Chronobiology and biological psychology are areas that study that area and elucidate the negative effects of long term shift work on many people, both physical and psychological.

I worked with a guy who had spent 23 years on night shift. He looked 20 years older than the 51 years old he was.

I actually thought about asking him for a picture so I could show people and ask them to guess his age but thankfully I wasn't stupid enough to do so.

Advertisement