Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Experiences like that are very interesting.

Synchronicity

I had a similar experience some years ago. Was listening to the radio and heard a track. Took my phone to text my friend the message, '2fm' that was it. Immediately after I sent the message and went back to the home screen, I noticed I had just received a message while sending mine. From the friend. '2fm'.

The two of us had been listening to the radio in separate locations, heard a track, thought of the other person and sent the exact same message, virtually simultaneously.
    I've often thought of that moment as an indication of how connected we were.

This also relates to a common enough experience where we see a real life event and use it to give meaning to our decision making.

The right path

I think the concept of synchronicity is key to the thought process for people reading their horoscopes and then feeling that they are actually relevant.

On a drive I was listening to More than This by Roxy Music, I ended up stopping at a traffic light.
    The car in front of me was a Toyota Avalon and the street name was Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

.............and let me guess the driver was Bryan Ferry ?? or is that stretching it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

.............and let me guess the driver was Bryan Ferry ?? or is that stretching it?

Ah now, I'm not Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wha :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Although I'm diminishing the sincerity a little bit, I assure you what I write to be true. My mam often tells this story herself!

I was perhaps 5 or 6? I had just started junior infants and it was some night in the middle of the week.

My mam woke up in the pitch black of her bedroom. She says she had felt a presence in the room. There I am, standing beside her bed with a large bread knife, eyes-open, looking at her. She asked me what I was doing at that point, and I said something about "going back to bed". She got out of the bed, took the knife from me and put me back to bed.

I had gone downstairs in the middle of the night and taken a knife from the kitchen, from where I couldn't reach, went upstairs and stood beside the bed (still have no idea for how long). I remember nothing.

I've been told I was sleepwalking. I've have had one other notable instance of sleepwalking in my past, although not to the extent of what's described above. I'm quite amazed and glad that the parents decided against putting me down with my pillow the following evening.

I used to sleepwalk regularly as a kid. When I was about 12, I walked into the living room, where my older sisters, parents and aunts had just arrived back from the pub. Apparently I started swearing profusely at one of my older sisters after she asked me what I was doing out of bed. Then turned around and left the room again. The funny part is that no one noticed I was sleepwalking, they just though I was being an ignorant little boll!x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

My mother had been in hospital for several months before her death. Two nights before her funeral, I was alone in the house and trying to find an appropriate reading for her mass. I was reading the poems aloud to 'hear' what they sounded like. On the 4/5th poem, her stair lift,which hadn't been used since she left the house, beeped several times. At first it scared me a little, then I got a lovely warm feeling inside. I asked aloud if she liked that particular poem..and the chair beeped again. So it was read at her funeral mass.

Yes, there could be a rational explanation, but the chair had never beeped before that night, and it's never beeped since.

It gives me great comfort to think she was helping me to pick the reading. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Does anybody have any info on this place ? I don't believe for the most part any of this nonsense but I know what I heard & I believe my father ..

wondering if anyone has some insight to this place. Linden Hall Blackrock. I think apartments are there now. my father used to work for a security company in the 90's and the got the keys to Linden Hall to do regular security checks.

The building had been previously been used by nuns I think. I used to go with my dad as he drove around different places his company were looking after and I went with him the first time he went to Linden Hall. I was about 12/13/14 at the time. This was huge building and big grounds surrounding. Anyways I went with my dad into the building and went around exploring all the rooms. After I while I split from my dad and went my own way checking all the rooms. I started hearing this hammering noise as if someone was using a hammer. This went on and on and really loud. I wasn't scared as I didn't think anything of it. I finally met up with my dad again and he mentioned the hammering also. We went home and I never thought about it again. He never let me go back to that place though.

Years later he told me many more stories about the place. They alarm was always going off and he had to go out several times a night. The alarm panel was always going off in the same zone but there was never anything there. For some reason on one particular night, the fire brigade came out. They became interested in using the building for training purposes. My dad got talking to one of the fire staff and he mentioned the building had several uses over the years. Eamonn De Velera had died in the place as it was at one stage it was a convalescent home. My dad mentioned the trouble he was having. Straight away this man said the building was haunted by a particular person (can't think of his name now). Before the convalescent home he was told it was an orphanage and there was a gardener/maintenance worker who supposedly molested the children.

My dad rotated his shift with another bloke who I knew at the time. He used to drop the car off to my dad when he finished so my dad had the car for his shift. Anyway, one day he dropped to keys off to the aul fella and he was quite nervous. He said he had been up on the top floor of Linden Hall and seen a hat on the ground. He went to pick it up and a man just walked by him a the disappeared. (That's the story he told him anyway)

Also we used to have a German Shepard. Was a great dog. The auld fella used to bring him to work sometimes but he howled and refused to go into the building. My dad them tried to bring some of the security dogs they had. One was a tough little bitch called Sheeba. She was a rotweiller and I was terrorfied of the dog. She howled also a refused to go into the building as well.

My father died a few years ago but today I was reading another thread and got me thinking about Linden Hall again. My father was in the army for over 20 years before he worked for that security company. I have never seen him spooked by anything in his life. Even when he was dying of cancer he took it on the chin. He became the only staff member of the security company that would go into that building alone and at night. He was never a spoofer and was of the belief of speaking only if there was something interesting to say (he was a quiet sort)

As mentioned earlier I think they ended up knocking down this place and building apartments and I have never been there since that 1 night many years ago but I would love to know if anybody had any history on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It was at one time a nursing home where TB patients were nursed, on open-air verandahs as was the latest thing at that time. The fresh air was supposed to be a cure for the lungs. I think it was both adults and children. Certainly would have made it easy for a nefarious gardener to gain access, I suppose.

After that it was an old folks home - several very well-known people went there for their last years.

Yes, apartments have been built on the site and a member of my family lived in one of them for years (in the main-house part)
    They never reported anything odd: except the basement flooding in heavy rain, lol.

I know the neighbourhood well but have never heard any rumours of haunting. Must ask a few of the locals!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Great thread

One that really got to me and i still think of it to this day

My grandfather was very sick and we knew he didn’t have long left. I got the call while working , I was walking along the path on Clogher road towards the canal in Dublin .
    I just started to cry and sat on the edge of the curb bawling and thinking that he was gone and wondering where he was and if he could see me sitting there crying

While crying out load I started to think to myself that if he could see me here crying to give me some sort of sign ...
    I looked up to the sky to see if anything appeared in the clouds but nothing . As I got up to walk away from the path something caught my eye on the ground .

It was a silver medal of Jesus on the cross . I got the nicest feeling from it . To this day I think maybe it was just a coincendence but still what’s the chances I got the call at hat moment and sat in that exact place . Who knows really .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Jeez, I was told the exact same story once. Guy I knew who got a phone call from a close friend who had commited suicide, to say that he was ok.

Reminds me of when my brother died back in 1992. On the night he died, his not too long ex girlfriend awoke in the middle of the night to see my brother standing in her room, just smiling at her. Think they may have broken up on not so great terms. She had no idea he had died, no one did at all until the next morning. When she heard the next day she just felt that it had been his way of saying goodbye and apologising. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Here is a strange one. I used to live in Donegal back in 2012. Was quite friendly with a girlie living up there at the time but we had a bit of a falling out and I went back to Cork shortly afterwards.

Bout two years ago I drove back up to Donegal for a day, met her in a shop that same day, had lost her number hadn't heard from her in years. Gave her a lift back to her house (she doesn't drive, I think)

Then the other day heading into work, way back in the backarse of Co. Kerry I find myself behind a car - I am never behind a car - the roads are blissfully empty here. Then the car stops at a crossroads so I could have a good look at the reg

12-DL and it had her name where it should say "Dun na nGall"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This is a strange one, and Im not sure its paranormal but ill never forget it. I was having Sunday lunch with the folks a few weeks ago in a lovely country pub that we had been to many times before so we knew many of the faces there. So we were in the back of the pub chatting away, it was nice and busy but not absolutely packed.
    People were coming and going and all of a sudden, a man about mid to late 40s kind of scruffy with an odd hairstyle comes in, looks around as if looking for a seat and when he locks eyes with me, the hairs on the back of my neck just stand on end and theres a distinct ripple of pure cold down my spine. He doesn't keep eye contact and then turns and walks out. My skin was crawling with Goosebumps and I felt distinctly unsettled. All this happened in the space of about 5-10 seconds and my folks didn't even notice. I try to shake it off as maybe I just sense something bad in him but ive never had that experience before with anyone. When I went up to the till to pay for my meal, I notice that the same guy is sitting near me with his family eating dinner and again, I get cold and my skin starts to prick again and I sense there is something extremely bad about this person. I paid up and left as soon as I can.

Very odd, ive never been psychic or got a particular sense about someone but this guy made my blood run cold and I haven't the slightest idea why!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Here is a strange one. I used to live in Donegal back in 2012. Was quite friendly with a girlie living up there at the time but we had a bit of a falling out and I went back to Cork shortly afterwards.

Bout two years ago I drove back up to Donegal for a day, met her in a shop that same day, had lost her number hadn't heard from her in years. Gave her a lift back to her house (she doesn't drive, I think)

Then the other day heading into work, way back in the backarse of Co. Kerry I find myself behind a car - I am never behind a car - the roads are blissfully empty here. Then the car stops at a crossroads so I could have a good look at the reg

12-DL and it had her name where it should say "Dun na nGall"

Confused, her name was on her reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Is her name a number? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He means here:

rqvz2h.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is a strange one, and Im not sure its paranormal but ill never forget it. I was having Sunday lunch with the folks a few weeks ago in a lovely country pub that we had been to many times before so we knew many of the faces there. So we were in the back of the pub chatting away, it was nice and busy but not absolutely packed.
    People were coming and going and all of a sudden, a man about mid to late 40s kind of scruffy with an odd hairstyle comes in, looks around as if looking for a seat and when he locks eyes with me, the hairs on the back of my neck just stand on end and theres a distinct ripple of pure cold down my spine. He doesn't keep eye contact and then turns and walks out. My skin was crawling with Goosebumps and I felt distinctly unsettled. All this happened in the space of about 5-10 seconds and my folks didn't even notice. I try to shake it off as maybe I just sense something bad in him but ive never had that experience before with anyone. When I went up to the till to pay for my meal, I notice that the same guy is sitting near me with his family eating dinner and again, I get cold and my skin starts to prick again and I sense there is something extremely bad about this person. I paid up and left as soon as I can.

Very odd, ive never been psychic or got a particular sense about someone but this guy made my blood run cold and I haven't the slightest idea why!

It is a gift, simply

Have had this twice since I came here, both times totally against reason apparently.
    Both times a valid warning for me and others. Which was heeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

It is a gift, simply

Have had this twice since I came here, both times totally against reason apparently.
    Both times a valid warning for me and others. Which was heeded.

How do you know it was valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

How do you know it was valid?

Sometimes that sense of danger literally prickles the skin.

It may be a subliminal sense of smell, or detecting an electrical field, or something else - I don't know what:
    but women, especially, DO know - you can sense that "being watched" feeling - look around - and see the man watching with a steady, hunter's gaze -
    Get out of there fast. This is a real animal warning system of threat or hostility - (or maybe just sexual interest, sometimes) - but it should never be ignored: it is a real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Teaching teenage boys a few years back in south London and I got the same feeling from a kid, and actually everyone did. Big for his age and bigger than all the other boys, but that wasn't it: you just couldn't control him, he didn't care and when he walked into the classroom all the kids went quiet. Weird and very spooky.

I distinctly remember the chat I had about him with a senior colleague and he told me the kid was amoral, unpredictable and all the kids was afraid of him - funny he never commented on fearful teachers. :eek:
    Anyway, he was expelled soon after so that was that.. but I was with my husband on a train a few years later and saw him get on. I immediately slunk down in the seat and hid. My husband couldn't get over it, me a strong female take-no-nonsense teacher, but this kid gave me the heebeegeebees. I never felt that about a kid before or since.

I wonder what happened to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I used to visit my aunt every fortnight to bring her food etc as she was unable to go to the shops herself. Her husband had died thirty years earlier. On one visit she told me that her husband had visited her in her bedroom. She said that he was dressed all in white. He didn't say anything but sat down on the side of the bed. I asked her how did she know she wasn't dreaming, and she replied that she felt the mattress go down when he sat on the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Randomnly recalled a story this morning.
    We were on holiday and met a lovely American couple, we'd meet them for a few drinks so there were good chats and we got to know them well.

Can't remember how we got onto the subject but the husband told a story.
    They own and run a farm that also doubles up as a venue for functions, rural but not too rural (1hr to a City, 15 minutes to the town etc).
    He was home one afternoon and felt a bit under the weather so rather than have a power nap on the couch decided to head to bed for an hour.

Some time later he woke, groggily to what he though was someone coming up the stairs to the bedroom, he thought maybe he was dreaming it or imagining it due to the illness being worse, he knew it wouldn't be the wife coming back as it was too early. Anyway he stayed still for a minute and he could know make out it was a male figure. It got to the top of the stairs, looked around and made its way over to the chest of drawers. For some reason he hadn't copped the guy was in bed. The husband actually recognised the guy as the neighour from 2 houses over (2 houses could be a mile apart) so he calmly said "Tom, don't be too alarmed but I'm actually here, I don't care what you're doing, I don't want to know, just turn around and get out of my house, I won't call the cops".

He said the guy stood for what felt like ages without saying anything, so the husband felt compelled to say "You know I have guns, don't make take it out". The figure nodded slowly without really looking at him and calmly looked back without even throwing a glance back. He said the slow walk down the stairs and out was the scariest part.
    Really left him shook but he didn't want to worry the wife but obviously had to. They installed more security cameras after that.
    Never mentioned it to the guy, he acted like it never happened. Though the wife did say it explained why her undies were going missing and they eventually found out from chats with others that it wasn't his first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Is her name a number? :confused:

Yeah, she's 11 from Stranger Things

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Had a dream last night about the olde days when we were kids.
    Strange dream to have really.
    Was laughing about it this morning when a call came in to say my sister just died in England.
    (RIP sis)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry for your loss, Dan. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not since the alien abduction and month long probe, it's been a quiet stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

So sorry for your loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Thanks guys.
    It's been a hell of a bad luck year.
    Be glad to see the back of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Sorry for your loss Dan, I hope your dream brought you some happy memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

My mom s dad died when she was a kid .and she said he set on her bed before she knew he was dead .anyway all through my life my mom was in and out of hospital. She always said her dad would appear so she knew she be ok .well one time my mom went into hospital. I was sitting in my sitting room .and my dad said he was worried about her cause she said she had nt seen her dad .my mom died the next day not saying she'd seen her father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Sometimes that sense of danger literally prickles the skin.

It may be a subliminal sense of smell, or detecting an electrical field, or something else - I don't know what:
    but women, especially, DO know - you can sense that "being watched" feeling - look around - and see the man watching with a steady, hunter's gaze -
    Get out of there fast. This is a real animal warning system of threat or hostility - (or maybe just sexual interest, sometimes) - but it should never be ignored: it is a real thing.

My sister-in-law's sister had a different kind of magnetism. She was a very wholesomely pretty girl/woman but she exuded an aura of sex appeal, likeability, was non-threatening, I can't even think of words to describe it which caught people's attention, both male and female. She could turn it on and off. I don't know if she did this instinctively or whether she was able to at will. I noticed it, particularly when I met her first in London and a group of us got on the Tube. It wasn't rush hour but the seats were full and we were standing. Within a minute everyone in the carriage was looking at her. I've never seen anything like it. Every single person gazing at her. Eyes up from newspapers, books, walkmans, whatever. I saw some beautiful women/handsome men/weird characters/threatening characters in my Tube travelling days but I never saw every single person in the vicinity looking at them the way those people gazed at that girl. In general, though she was one of those people, and there aren't many, who you immediately like, trust, want to know better, etc even when you know you shouldn't. I haven't met her for years so I don't know whether she still has this 'gift' for want of a better word.

Did you get a proper look at the person driving the car?
    DanMurphy wrote: »
    Had a dream last night about the olde days when we were kids.
    Strange dream to have really.
    Was laughing about it this morning when a call came in to say my sister just died in England.
    (RIP sis)

So sorry for your loss, Dan.

Advertisement