Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Twin Pack - £24.99 Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Yes you can bridge the two routers. I currently use this setup in the living room as there's more than one device that needs to be connected & the wireless signal from the main router is weak in that room.

Works very well, but was a bitch to set up and get working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Simi wrote: »
    Yes you can bridge the two routers. I currently use this setup in the living room as there's more than one device that needs to be connected & the wireless signal from the main router is weak in that room.

Works very well, but was a bitch to set up and get working correctly.

thanks simi. how would I go about bridging the routers? could u link a page if dats not 2 much hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

thanks simi. how would I go about bridging the routers? could u link a page if dats not 2 much hassle?

Well I think i used this guide, but every setup is different and it took lots of resets and changing of settings to get right.

You should aim to configure the second router completely before you turn off it's dhcp, as it's very difficult to make changes once it's disabled. i.e. set up the ssid and wpa password you want to use.

Once you have everything configured the way you like disable the dhcp on the second router and connect the two using ethernet port 1 on both routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Have a pair of 500Mbps adaptors at home, and well impressed with them. Based on my experience and what I've read, you'll get at most about 20% of the listed speed. I tried some local file copies and downloads and got up to 90/95Mbps. So until they bring out 1Gbps adaptors, the 100Mbps port limitation probably doesn't present much of a problem.

What I like though, is they're reliable. The speed is consistent, and the connection never drops (unlike Wifi. I use an AppleTV with my music & videos on a Mac in a different room, and over Wifi it was a nightmare. Perfect with these adaptors).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So in my new apartment I'm having some slack wireless reception, but moreso just wanted ethernet connection to my main PC. Router is in the main room with PC going into the back room.

Bought the new model of these, 500mpbs ones. Man, homeplugs were DIRT when they first came out, but reviews look through the roof.

Hopefully works well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I had a set of these fail on me recently. TP Link were great about it and I had a new pair within days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Would these TP links work with the wifi extender (WLAN repeater) that LIDL are selling for €30? I need to boost wifi signal in bedroom. Unsure whether to get TP links, LIDL WLAN repeater or both for best results.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

toby2111 wrote: »
    Would these TP links work with the wifi extender (WLAN repeater) that LIDL are selling for €30? I need to boost wifi signal in bedroom. Unsure whether to get TP links, LIDL WLAN repeater or both for best results.

Well you wouldn't use both together, you'd use one or the other. The repeaters are rubbish compared to the TP powerline adapters. Only thing is to make sure your house has all the one circuitry otherwise the TP's might not work. But this usually isn't a problem as most houses are on one circuit. You can buy the kit with the wireless access point:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Starter/dp/B0067GS29W/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Better still for £40 you can buy the single wireless adapter and for £25 the twin pack in the OP, so you can have an extra plug for the same price of £65!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Access/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_text_y

Guys,you might be able to advise-
    Mate of my brothers has 2 85mbps powerline adapters,looking for €20.Now,I'm with Sky BB,only get about 12-15mbps max with them,drops to 3-5mbps some evenings.So,is it worth my while getting the 200mbps ones or just take a punt on the 85mbps ones?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Mate of my brothers has 2 85mbps powerline adapters,looking for €20.Now,I'm with Sky BB,only get about 12-15mbps max with them,drops to 3-5mbps some evenings.So,is it worth my while getting the 200mbps ones or just take a punt on the 85mbps ones?

They're probably ancient technology at this stage. If you're looking for 2 wired ones why not just buy the ones in the OP for the sake of a few quid more. You're not going to be on a crappy connect for ever.

Yeh, you're right. I'll do that so, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Don't worry about you connection into the home, this as we are seeing lately is quite dynamic.
    If you transfer files between your local network then you need faster speeds. I'd be surprised if any one can get 500mb/s with these these new ones. Fastest i clocked was 80-85. Went wireless N with 2routers bridged. Then just took the hit and ran cat6 to all rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I already have a set of these ,if I get another set will that allow me to connect 3 items to the router or do they only work in pairs ?
    i.e plug at router and one at pc,xbox and tv .

Zardoz wrote: »
    I already have a set of these ,if I get another set will that allow me to connect 3 items to the router or do they only work in pairs ?
    i.e plug at router and one at pc,xbox and tv .

That will work fine.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I already have a set of these ,if I get another set will that allow me to connect 3 items to the router

Yup

Quick question-I'm reading different reports that these only work when plugged directly into wall.Then others say they work fine using surge protected extension leads.I'm going to have to use an extension lead if I get these adapters,so will it work properly?

Quick question-I'm reading different reports that these only work when plugged directly into wall.Then others say they work fine using surge protected extension leads.I'm going to have to use an extension lead if I get these adapters,so will it work properly?

Its impossible to say because different power strips have different internal designs, some of them have active circuitry etc. And of course what else is plugged into the powerstrip will also affect things.

Nobody can tell you across the internet how well homeplugs will work in your home full stop, let alone on a powerstrip. It may work fine, it may work slower, or it may not work at all.

If you are short on sockets then you should consider pass-through homeplugs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It really can be hit or miss and other things can interfere with them in the house, it'll depend on the wiring in the house as well as other things (like eathing on appliances and stuff). Personally I have used the devices with no problems in loads of places, in 1 house (which had an extension built on) 1 socket in a room wouldn't work cause it was on a different circuit or something. In my brother's house 1 wouldn't work because he had a broken dect phone plugged in upstairs knocking out the wireless and the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit only €32.26 on dabs.ie

Super Small Nano Size 500mbps Pair

8KC8_38AEFA34-B526-4DFE-9A0D-2891E42C06F3_large.jpg

It would be worth considering. You never know how well they will work until you set them up in your own home. Amazon are good with returns anyhow.

The passthrough ones interoperate with the non passthrough ones so you can mix and match. Technically they are the same; it just gives you a filtered passthrough socket so you're not using one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I have 2 sets of the tp 200mb, have 2 in surge protectors and 1 in an extension lead, no problems with them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

These sound great, but the necessity of a wired connection is a bit annoying for laptop use.

Is there a router, that'd allow me to get close to full speeds (100mb) on wireless?

I'd have a budget up to 150 euro for one, if anyone has any ideas?

daRobot wrote: »
    These sound great, but the necessity of a wired connection is a bit annoying for laptop use.

There's a wireless one too, but see my last post as it's the same price to buy a single wireless adapter and the twin pack in the OP as it is to buy this kit, total would be £65 for 3 adapters (1x Wireless + 2x wired)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Starter/dp/B0067GS29W/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i see harvey norman are doing the 200mbps kit for €35 this weekend.. i have the wireless powerlines already from tp-link - am i right in thinking that these will connect with them as well?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/the-big-sale.html - page 11 down the bottom

big_moe wrote: »
    i see harvey norman are doing the 200mbps kit for €35 this weekend.. i have the wireless powerlines already from tp-link - am i right in thinking that these will connect with them as well?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Hey folks, I will hopefully be starting a job soon that requires a wired internet connection, but I'm wondering if these would be any good instead? The room where the computer is is back to back with the room with the router,so the computer will be only about 75 cm from the router on the other side of the wall, would these make the signal much stronger than just wifi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Advertisement