Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Twin Pack - £24.99 Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

I've got this DLink 200Mbps (2yrs already) and never give me any problem streaming HD movies (XBMC and now netflix).

But that old model, the new one here : £30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I have a pair of unbranded ones i've used for a few years now. I find the throughput varies significantly from socket to socket. Just moving one of them to another socket in the same room can make a difference of 20-30MB/s.

In the setup i'm using currently I get about 60-65MB/s throughput in either direction. In another room the best I can get is 28MB/s up (traffic to the main computer, which is connected to the router by cable) 40MB/s down.

To achieve those speeds, I checked every socket in the two rooms to find the best in each. Incidentially the worst was about 1MB/s up 2MB/s, so changing sockets can make all the difference.

Also always plug them directly into the wall. I use this to check the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Have both of mine plugged into extension leads and they work no bother. The one near the modem downstairs is plugged into a surge protected lead even. I tried them plugged directly into the wall 1st of course, but the speeds were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Melendez wrote: »

I got the PA511. I can only attribute it to the wiring in the house, it's the only way to explain it if everybody else is getting great results. Hopefully it'll all work out for you though.

In terms of trying other sockets etc, I did try nearby sockets to the router and used a long ethernet cable and got a max of 40mb/s, but any sockets further then the wires reach would be completely defeating the point of getting the plugs in the first place so it's back they go.

On a slightly unrelated note, I've never experienced a more efficient return service in my life from Amazon. They have given me an INSTANT refund, before I even send the thing back to them, printed out a fully paid an post package label with my address and their address, as well as a proof of posting which I will get stamped by the post office. Only thing is they will charge me £8.09 for postage as the error is not their fault (in the UK they charge nothing for return no matter who's fault). I repackaged it perfectly so can't imagine i'll be charged a re-packaging fee or such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

grimm2005 wrote: »
    On a slightly unrelated note, I've never experienced a more efficient return service in my life from Amazon. They have given me an INSTANT refund, before I even send the thing back to them, printed out a fully paid an post package label with my address and their address, as well as a proof of posting which I will get stamped by the post office. Only thing is they will charge me £8.09 for postage as the error is not their fault (in the UK they charge nothing for return no matter who's fault). I repackaged it perfectly so can't imagine i'll be charged a re-packaging fee or such.

Amazon really are amazing for returns. I haven't had to return too many items over the years but its always been simple and the only challenge has been making it to the post office.

FYI: You don't have to pay the £8.09 postage if you say the item isn't working. You think its the wires in the house but who is to say the ones you got aren't faulty. I would select item not working and describe the speeds you are getting. Worst case scenario they will charge you the postage post the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

donnacha wrote: »

Amazon really are amazing for returns. I haven't had to return too many items over the years but its always been simple and the only challenge has been making it to the post office.

FYI: You don't have to pay the £8.09 postage if you say the item isn't working. You think its the wires in the house but who is to say the ones you got aren't faulty. I would select item not working and describe the speeds you are getting. Worst case scenario they will charge you the postage post the return.

I selected the quality or performance isn't as expected option, not sure if they'll charge me or not but sure its only a tenner at the end of the day I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Just after getting a 500mbs gigabit pair delivered for 60 from amazon.
    PC World have them for €49.99

Edit - My bad sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

fletch wrote: »
    PC World have them for €49.99

PC World have the 411 kit at that price - the RRP on these is £39.99 according to amazon

The set that grimm2005 got is the 511 with a gigabit ethernet port and have an RRP of £94.10 on Amazon.

In fairness though if you have the UPC modem (which I do) you may as well have the 411s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just for anyone disappointed with the speed they'e getting out of them, lots of theings could be causing noise on the electrical circuit that could be impacting the network throughput.

literally anything plugged in in your house could be causing issues, from TV's, microwaves, kettles CFL bulbs. specifically cheap CFL bulbs can cause a lot of noise that is completely harmless to your electrical circuitry but can have a major impact on your powerline networking.

if you want to rule out potential causes (and you've trested your internet speed directly from a wired connection straight to your router), just turn absolutely everything off in the house (lights, plugs etc.) and do some speed tests copying large files across your powerline network and gradually start turning stuff on until you see a significant speed drop and there's your problem. :)

also note that the signal crossing fuses in your main fuse box (i.e. normall yupstairs to downstairs plug sockets) will eat into your potential max speed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi

I have these TP-Link 200Mbps homeplugs.

How do I measure what speed I am getting from them?

There is utility software which come with them which shows a rate in Mbps. Is this an accurate figure? Or is it meaning less? It doesn't seem to vary much.

Thanks in advance for help.

Max

the simplest way is to copy a large uncompressable file (i.e. a large video file) from one computer to another between two homeplugs and see what speed the file transfer gets.

windows 7's file copy has a speed measurement built in that will give you a rough idea, but my personal favourite for copying lots of large files around is a utility called teracopy (the free version is plenty good enough for most people's needs) which you can use to replace the built in windows file copy tool that has some handy extra features like checking for available space, copy queuing, pause, resume, skip and retry etc. without interupting an existing copy/move operation which is very handy if you're copying a couple of hundred gigabytes of files to or from a NAS or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Picked up a set of these also. Had gone back up to 28.99 when i got them though. Still a lot cheaper than they are else where.

Melendez wrote: »
    it's special electric goblins carrying your data packets around the house. as freddie mercury once said, it's a kind of magic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Quick £21.84

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Hi, anyone have a link for the WiFi adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Quick £21.84

Plus £5.97 postage... Fine you have something else to bump the order over £25 for free postage though.

EDIT: Bah. Added a £2.99 data cable for the free postage (£25.38 total).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Plus £5.97 postage... Fine you have something else to bump the order over £25 for free postage though.

EDIT: Bah. Added a £2.99 data cable for the free postage (£25.38 total).

BTW these all come with network cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think he's alking about the wifi range extender model of the powerline networking adapter, not just a wifi dongle.

i.e. this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA271-150Mbps-Wireless-Powerline-Extender/dp/B008I3GCIK/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1356393156&sr=1-3

Thats why I said "if its purely an adapter". I know the difference. I have both:D

Thats why I said "if its purely an adapter". I know the difference. I have both:D
    good for you, but he didn't ask for *an* adapter, he asked for *the* wifi adapter in a thread about homeplugs not wifi dongles.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdstck

Hi All
    I presume you hve to connect a cable from these sockets to the device you are using, is there anything avalible that improves reception wirelessly or would i have to put in second router for this option, how difficult would this be to set up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

pdstck wrote: »
    Hi All
    I presume you hve to connect a cable from these sockets to the device you are using, is there anything avalible that improves reception wirelessly or would i have to put in second router for this option, how difficult would this be to set up :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0IwoKAygEVY

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

pdstck wrote: »
    Hi All

You can get a wifi version of these adapters, this kit has one wired adapter that you connect your router to and one wireless that you can plug in anywhere else in your house:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Starter/dp/B0067GS29W/

Note that it's not much dearer if you buy the twin pack of wired adapters as in the OP's post and separately buy the single wifi one. So you end up with an extra wired adapter for only about a fiver extra, but it might come in handy if you ever want another wired connection somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

for anyone who doesnt wanna buy online, pc world have a set of on networks 200mb homeplugs @ 37.99e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Probably not making sense here but if i plugged another wireless router into the receiving plug would it then make the signal wireless at that end?

Advertisement