Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Twin Pack - £24.99 Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

maximus02 wrote: »
    I bought this twin pack last week for £30 along with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FNFSPY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It works great. I have one unit and the switch in my living room feeding my Sky+ On Demand, Xbox and also a WDTV Live media player.

No problems so far. :D

I just purchased this for exactly the same purpose (Sky+ On Demand, Xbox and also a WDTV Live media player) and I am hoping to add xbmc in the next couple of weeks....

If i wanted to add another one in the kitchen do i need to purchase the same brand device or can i purchase another brand/unbranded one....ie a cheaper one

BTW i purchased:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0084Y9N3O/ref=ox_ya_os_product
    and
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FNFSPY/ref=ox_ya_os_product

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

brianorb wrote: »
    I'm not the worlds greatest expert on these but my issue with this 500mb device is that its RJ45 interface only runs at 10/100 Ethernet, the devices are effectively muted to 100?

Exactly, even 200 Mbps plugs are too much. You would need something like this rated for 10/100/1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

brianorb wrote: »
    I'm not the worlds greatest expert on these but my issue with this 500mb device is that its RJ45 interface only runs at 10/100 Ethernet, the devices are effectively muted to 100?

This is an excellent point. I have a pair for over a year now supposedly running at 200Mb but the RJ45 is only at 100mb. Max speed i can get from UPC is 55Mb on 100Mb connection using these. (software says the plugs at running at full speed, 200Mb).

I would advise that people make sure there are gigabit ports on these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA511KIT-Gigabit-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B005FVOKM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355306266&sr=8-1

There is no point at all paying for 200Mb if the RJ45 interface is limiting the connection. Its only good if you are using more than two of these which I would say very few are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was actually just going to post that. :)

if you have a 100mbps or faster internet connection (or even 50mbps tbh) then go for the 500mbps with gigabit ethernet ports to make the most of the connection.

there's no guarantee you'll get anything near the full speed out of them, (even if they were right next to each other) due to wiring quality and noise on your electrical circuit from other devices plugged into it in your house.

even the 500mbps gigabit ones are as cheap as chips now, so it doesn't make any sense to scrimp unless you have a really tight budget.

also worth noting that the 500mbps is a theoretical maximum between 2 devices, so don't expect anything like those speeds and if you use more than two of them to network around your home, that bandwidth will be shared between all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I'm getting around 55mb on my D-link 200mbps adapters so any of the 200mbps one's should suffice for a 50mb broadband. Have one plugged in next to the router downstairs and the other one in my bedroom upstairs.

I have a UPC 100mb broadband though so I'm looking to upgrade to the 500mbps one's sometime in the near future.

• Advertisement

jamescd wrote: »
    I'm getting around 55mb on my D-link 200mbps adapters so any of the 200mbps one's should suffice for a 50mb broadband. Have one plugged in next to the router downstairs and the other one in my bedroom upstairs.

I have a UPC 100mb broadband though so I'm looking to upgrade to the 500mbps one's sometime in the near future.
    it is going to depend very much on your internal wiring and the size of your house. i never got more than 35mbps (mostly 25mbps) out of my 200mbps ones.

you just never know until you try, but if broadband speeds keep going up (and they will if UPC has anything to do with it) you'll be kicking yourself for not leaving that extra room for a speed increase for the sake of a couple of quid in the price difference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Is this one worth the extra few quid?

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/ASK-Direct/14418343?awc=4345_1355305559_85a984bbca1766b0d06ffacaf7296006&CID=IE_AFF_1047_10_1_1&utm_source=aff_1047&utm_medium=aff_10&utm_campaign=aff_1&utm_content=aff_1&nlp

Am I correct in thinking that this will repeat the wifi signal and can also be used for a wired connection?

Has anyone got any familiarity with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

They count the 200MB as each way, so the 100MB connection to your pc is running at 200MB.
    If the 500MB ones also have a 100MB ethernet port, then there is little point in getting them unless you have multiple.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,792 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Received them this morning, working great :)

Thanks, OP, at £25 shipped these are very good value!

Ryaner wrote: »
    They count the 200MB as each way, so the 100MB connection to your pc is running at 200MB.
    If the 500MB ones also have a 100MB ethernet port, then there is little point in getting them unless you have multiple.
    unless you know that you have crappy wiring (or other interference) in your house and won't get anywhere near the optimal speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zagamuffin

Bought two sets and just sent them back after flutting around trying to get them workin for two hrs

I'm no tech novice and these were to replace two devilish I had on loan. Plugged them in and as advertised connected instantly

Tps wouldn't work what ever I tried , even tried in the same double socket, same room, different room etc. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

zagamuffin wrote: »
    Bought two sets and just sent them back after flutting around trying to get them workin for two hrs

I'm no tech novice and these were to replace two devilish I had on loan. Plugged them in and as advertised connected instantly

Tps wouldn't work what ever I tried , even tried in the same double socket, same room, different room etc. :(

I have 2 sets and work perfectly, each set should come ready to run, did each set work by itself? If they did for both pairs to work on the same group you need to pair them, it is quite easy if I remember correctly you press the Pair button in the main unit, within 10 seconds you press pair on the 2nd unit to be linked and so on with every extra unit.

I got the AV500's after the AV200 went back up in price.

Got them last night....One in a double socket, the other in an unfiltered extension cord. So far they are working without any issues.

Can I add another one in another part of the house? Does it have to be the same brand or can it be any brand once it is AV500 compliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zagamuffin

nava wrote: »
    I have 2 sets and work perfectly, each set should come ready to run, did each set work by itself? If they did for both pairs to work on the same group you need to pair them, it is quite easy if I remember correctly you press the Pair button in the main unit, within 10 seconds you press pair on the 2nd unit to be linked and so on with every extra unit.

Originally tried one pair,no joy.then tried pairing them, then moved them around the house.then tried second pair, then mixed pairs etc...

Very strange when devolo s worked fine and should be plug and play.......

Fed up of getting ready to go products that need half a day to get working, that's why I was converted to apple, simples so far on everything..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

neacy69 wrote: »
    Can I add another one in another part of the house? Does it have to be the same brand or can it be any brand once it is AV500 compliant?

It just needs to be AV compliant, it doesn't have to be another 500, you can add on another 200 if you want, like the AV200 Wifi one. Your max speed will be based on the lowest one of course. That's what I have at the moment, 2x av500's wired and one av200 wireless. I think you can use any brand but personally I'd stick with the same one to be sure! Nothing wrong with this particular brand or their pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Will 500 mb will work with 200 mb on same network?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

rai555 wrote: »
    Will 500 mb will work with 200 mb on same network?

I just answered that on the post before yours!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ralphie wrote: »
    Simi wrote: »
    One of these needs to be plugged into a router via an Ethernet cable in order to work. They are not wifi capable.

Thanks for that.

Are there any TP LINK plug in devices wifi capable??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

seligehgit wrote: »

Did you try their website? http://uk.tp-link.com/products/?categoryid=2244

seligehgit wrote: »

Amazon have some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just after getting a 500mbs gigabit pair delivered for 60 from amazon. Tried speedtest and getting the exact same performance as WiFi so I'm pretty disappointed so far. Didn't get a chance to check a laptop plugged into router yet but will later to make sure its not a UPC issue but I doubt it as I've had 75mb on that in the past (its a 100mb connection and I'm only getting 26mb on my desktop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Just after getting a 500mbs gigabit pair delivered for 60 from amazon. Tried speedtest and getting the exact same performance as WiFi so I'm pretty disappointed so far. Didn't get a chance to check a laptop plugged into router yet but will later to make sure its not a UPC issue but I doubt it as I've had 75mb on that in the past (its a 100mb connection and I'm only getting 26mb on my desktop)

I got the same ones just last week. I was getting 50mb on my old ones. Now im getting 83mb.

Im on the UPC 100mb package and get 83mb when plugged directly into the UPC router.

Im very happy with them as they seem to be giving me all the UPC speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

I have a similar set-up. UPC 100mb connection. Laptop plugged directly into the UPC router normally gives me 100 or thereabouts.

Using the 500mbs gigabit pair I get on average 50mb but sometimes as high at 70mb. (Note I have the plugs connected directly to the wall sockets rather than connected to extension cables).

I'll check tonight what I'm getting for wifi and post results for you if you want?

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Unfortunately not, I disabled the wireless entirely, I'm going to check plug in speed when I get home and if thats just as poor, ill be on to UPC!

Good to hear others are having better mileage out of them though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Does anyone know will the 200Mbps being good enough to stream HD content from a file server PC to a media player box?

donnacha wrote: »

I have a similar set-up. UPC 100mb connection. Laptop plugged directly into the UPC router normally gives me 100 or thereabouts.

Using the 500mbs gigabit pair I get on average 50mb but sometimes as high at 70mb. (Note I have the plugs connected directly to the wall sockets rather than connected to extension cables).

I'll check tonight what I'm getting for wifi and post results for you if you want?

Yeah, cheers, might as well see how others are doing for comparisons sake.

So I'm currently getting the following results:

80MB with laptop plugged directly into router
    70MB with laptop on wireless beside router
    26MB with desktop on wireless
    16MB with desktop on homeplugs

I'm starting to feel like I've completely wasted my money...

Going to re-pair the plugs and see what happens.

Edit: So tried many different combinations in different plugs near the router and in the room where the desktop is and could only achieve a maximum connection of 40mb/s so I'm returning these. Not sure what the problem was, maybe the wiring in my house (house was built in the 70's and has never been re-wired) but either way I think relocating the router is my only option at this point save for having ethernet cables all over the house which definitely isn't happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Does anyone know will the 200Mbps being good enough to stream HD content from a file server PC to a media player box?

Yes they are. Got HD content with 85mbps ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

So I'm currently getting the following results:

80MB with laptop plugged directly into router
    70MB with laptop on wireless beside router
    26MB with desktop on wireless
    16MB with desktop on homeplugs

I'm starting to feel like I've completely wasted my money...

Going to re-pair the plugs and see what happens.

Edit: So tried many different combinations in different plugs near the router and in the room where the desktop is and could only achieve a maximum connection of 40mb/s so I'm returning these. Not sure what the problem was, maybe the wiring in my house (house was built in the 70's and has never been re-wired) but either way I think relocating the router is my only option at this point save for having ethernet cables all over the house which definitely isn't happening!

It's your wiring alright. I'm only using a pair of 200mbps homeplugs and I constantly get more than 50mb.

2339753510.png

I also have the 100mb UPC broadband so I'm planning to upgrade to the 500mbps one's in the near future.

Advertisement