Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Twin Pack - £24.99 Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thanks, moving house shortly and my PC will have to be in a separate room to the router so this is ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

ffs. bought them at 30 last week too!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Great price, just to point out that if you want a wireless setup with these it's cheaper to select this twin pack and add the wireless adapter, so you have 3 adapters for only £66.49. As opposed to buying the starter kit of wired & wireless which costs £67.00 for only 2 adapters. Also to point out that these all come with cables which I don't think is noted in the descriptions. Great setup, I'm using this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

What exactly do they do....do you need it to be connected via a cable to your laptop ?? :?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Plug one of the TP Links into a wall socket next to your Broadband router. Connect the TP LInk to your router with the supplied cable. Then plug the second TP Link in another part of the house and you can then connect your Playstation etc with the supplied cable. Hey presto, you now have broadband in previously inaccessible areas of your house.

The system uses the houses ESB cabling. Simple to set up and I've had my set now 1 1/2 years and never had any trouble. A really great and simple solution to broadband signal not reaching all parts of your house. You can add additional units very easily if you need it in any other rooms.

DC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

MJ434 wrote: »
    What exactly do they do....do you need it to be connected via a cable to your laptop ?? :?

With these wired ones you would need to connect it to your laptop with a cable, but you can add on a wireless adapter (as I mentioned in my last post) if you prefer to use Wifi instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just wondering if you'd see a big jump in speed using these over wifi? I'm on UPC 100MB, using Wifi and only getting about 26MB in my room upstairs, router in living room downstairs. I know I'll never get 100MB but if this will boost it to over 60MB for example, I'm definitely going to get a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you'd see a big jump in speed using these over wifi? I'm on UPC 100MB, using Wifi and only getting about 26MB in my room upstairs, router in living room downstairs. I know I'll never get 100MB but if this will boost it to over 60MB for example, I'm definitely going to get a set.

Plug your laptop directly into the router and do a speed test, that will tell you if you are losing anything over the wifi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Senna wrote: »
    Plug your laptop directly into the router and do a speed test, that will tell you if you are losing anything over the wifi.

The ping is a lot lower using these powerlines, and that creates a more stable connection (for streaming etc.) I don't notice any difference in download speed though.

I have them for over 12 months and they're brilliant. That price is a steal.

Senna wrote: »

I'm actually using a desktop here but I did try a laptop plugged into the router and I got close to full speed. Just wondering will the homeplugs pretty much give the same performance as a direct ethernet connection?

• Advertisement

I'm actually using a desktop here but I did try a laptop plugged into the router and I got close to full speed. Just wondering will the homeplugs pretty much give the same performance as a direct ethernet connection?

In that case don't bother with the wifi adapter and just get the twin pack from the OP's link and plug your desktop straight in upstairs. You should get damn close the speed that you're getting from being plugged straight into the router. I'd imagine there would be some loss from it going all around your house's wiring but nothing as bad as your current drop from 100 to 26!

After your first post there Grimm I did a test to see if there was any difference in speeds from using the wifi of my router being right beside it and then going into my kitchen and using the wifi of my wireless TP-link. And there was no difference at all, except as Tony Soprano pointed out the ping went from 30 to 40. No big deal unless you're using it for gaming I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

The ping is a lot lower using these powerlines, and that creates a more stable connection (for streaming etc.) I don't notice any difference in download speed though.

I have them for over 12 months and they're brilliant. That price is a steal.

... Bada Ping!

Sorry couldn't resist

Sorry just another thought, if I was you Grimm on a 100mbit connect I'd go for the next model up of those adapters the av500's. They cost around 40 pounds for the pair but could well be worth it in your case. The av200's are actually 100 each way which is just about enough for you but still I believe the 500's can handle multiple streaming better, so they might be better if there's other people in your house using the connection at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything but there are 500mb ones on Dabs.ie for a decent price...! Got myself a set for Sky OnDemand+ and am mighty impressed. Worth a look. http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-83VC.html?q=zyxel&src=16

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I'm the same as you, UPC 100mb broadband with router downstairs and a desktop PC upstairs. Was only getting 20mb max on WiFi. Managed to get one of the D-Link 200mbps powerline adapter during Amazon's Black Friday sale for very little money. My speed has now jumped from 20mb to more than 50mb.

If you want closer to 100mb, you'll have to get one of the 500mbps one's. For example this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355184257&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

I have a Huawei E5830 Mi Fi from Three which I have to put near a window to get a signal.Would this be able to pick up the Wi FI signal from the E5830 Mi FI and send it to the 2nd unit plugged into another room on the same phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

You can also get them here for €39.66 plus €1.99 delivery http://www.misco.ie/product/164618/TP-Link-Mini-Powerline-200Mbps-Adapter-Starter-Kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

ralphie wrote: »
    I have a Huawei E5830 Mi Fi from Three which I have to put near a window to get a signal.Would this be able to pick up the Wi FI signal from the E5830 Mi FI and send it to the 2nd unit plugged into another room on the same phase.

One of these needs to be plugged into a router via an Ethernet cable in order to work. They are not wifi capable.
    You can also get them here for €39.66 plus €1.99 delivery http://www.misco.ie/product/164618/TP-Link-Mini-Powerline-200Mbps-Adapter-Starter-Kit

You could, but that would eliminate the bargain part of this bargain alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zagamuffin

Just ordered two pairs , gone up to 28 but still billy bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

Simi wrote: »
    One of these needs to be plugged into a router via an Ethernet cable in order to work. They are not wifi capable.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Gone up to £30.82 :( but still a bargain at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Bought these a while back for 36 euro with free delivery from play. Com.
    Great product!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I bought this twin pack last week for £30 along with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FNFSPY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It works great. I have one unit and the switch in my living room feeding my Sky+ On Demand, Xbox and also a WDTV Live media player.

No problems so far. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Bought a pair for 38.99 in pcworld Waterford last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I used to use wifi in the attic and got some generic versions of the 200mb ones. Two sets of two. Works great.

I think I got them from 7 day shop.

These might interest someone. 500mb ones.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product/view/id/3274/s/7dayshop-500mbps-high-speed-mini-homeplug-powerline-ethernet-network-adapter-twin-pack-starter-pack-eco-packaging/category/408/?backUrl=L2NvbXB1dGVyLW5ldHdvcmstd2lmaS9uZXR3b3JrLWFuZC13aWZpP2NhdD00MjgjbGltaXQ9YWxs&backUrl=L2NvbXB1dGVyLW5ldHdvcmstd2lmaS9uZXR3b3JrLWFuZC13aWZpP2NhdD00MjgjbGltaXQ9YWxs

Cheers for the advice Blade and Jamescd. Think I'll go for the 500GB/s one so I can maximize the connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

I would definitely recommend these if someone is thinking they may want a wireless unit at some point in the future. You can just purchase the wireless unit extra and add it to your network seamlessly. The wireless unit offers more range then my (crap) router.

I bought a set from a different company which worked great but unfortunately they did not offer a wireless unit. Since then I have moved all my homeplugs over to this make and they work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

One other thing, you get a CD with software but I didn't need to install the software on any of my machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brianorb

PC CDROM wrote: »

I'm not the worlds greatest expert on these but my issue with this 500mb device is that its RJ45 interface only runs at 10/100 Ethernet, the devices are effectively muted to 100?

Advertisement