Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options
1182183184185186188»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,224 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is keeping summoned NPC's alive to complete their story unique to this game? Wasn't aware that was a requirement at all. I thought they were just there for a dig out if you were stuck and had no Internet.

No, all souls games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

noodler wrote: »
    No, all souls games

Interesting. You learn something new every day. Always though summoning NPC 's were just to act as a distraction for the Boss and make fight a bit easier but if that's the case it actually adds an additional challenge.

Interesting. You learn something new every day. Always though summoning NPC 's were just to act as a distraction for the Boss and make fight a bit easier but if that's the case it actually adds an additional challenge.

In Dark Souls 2 you had to summon them and keep them standing for their story to progress in some cases. Wasn't the case in the other two games. Except I think for Witch Beatrice on DS1, if you didn't summon her for moonlight butter fly she wouldn't show up for the four kings.

From sheer frustration with Elana the squalid Queen (probably the most frustrating boss I've fought) to sheer elation fighting Sinh the Slumbering Dragon. That was a class fight, probably the best dragon fight in the series. Thought it better than Kalameet which is high praise indeed.

Made good progress on DLC's. Fume Knight and Blue Smelter Demon down. I summoned NPC's for the run from the bonfire to the boss room for Smelter because that run is just obnoxious. Black Crystaled them out for the Boss. It wasn't too bad a fight, heard horrible things about it. Did die a lot when the boss was one hit away but got there eventually.

Fume Knight was grand once you dodged perfectly. Had heard Fume was hardest so expected Sir Alonne to not be much trouble. How wrong I was. I struggle big time to react to his attacks. So far I've only got a few hits in. He's on me before I know what's happening. The run to him was overwhelming at first but it is actually possible to lure the Alonne Knights out one at a time.

Screw those porcupines in Elyum Loyce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Made good progress on DLC's. Fume Knight and Blue Smelter Demon down. I summoned NPC's for the run from the bonfire to the boss room for Smelter because that run is just obnoxious. Black Crystaled them out for the Boss. It wasn't too bad a fight, heard horrible things about it. Did die a lot when the boss was one hit away but got there eventually.

Fume Knight was grand once you dodged perfectly. Had heard Fume was hardest so expected Sir Alonne to not be much trouble. How wrong I was. I struggle big time to react to his attacks. So far I've only got a few hits in. He's on me before I know what's happening. The run to him was overwhelming at first but it is actually possible to lure the Alonne Knights out one at a time.

Screw those porcupines in Elyum Loyce.

Its been a long time so my memory is hazey, but i remember "Sir Alonne" to be one of the hardest bosses in the game.. I'm due a replay of it.. When i get the hunger again ill pick up DS remastered and play through the Darksouls again..

Theres a few weapon builds in DS2 id like to try but im put off because you cant get them until NG+ which sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sir Alonne is bastard hard but a great fight in a cool arena. Always thought it was cool that he does seppuku if you beat him without taking a hit.

I'm tempted to try a Lady Maria playthrough now.

I started off using a club but switched to the butcher knife from The Rottens Soul. It had either A or S scaling with strength and I love its move set. First fight with Sinh and my club broke. Died. Beat him third try by switching to butcher knife but I got weapon at risk 3 times! Thankfully learned my lesson and had repair powder equipped. If this is patched durability, I'd hate to see what it was like originally.

It's actually a brilliant game. The first time I completed it I didn't really have any understanding of the stats so my build was all over the place. Given my experience with the Souls series now I can appreciate it for what it is.

And that's the end of Sir Alonne. Fantastic fight. Really enjoyed that DLC. On to the Old Ivory King now need to recruit some knights.

Finished solo run. Opinion has definitely changed. Game is so much better than I remembered. DLC is fantastic content with some fantastic Bosses: Fume Knight, Sir Alonne, Burnt Ivory King and Sinh the Slumbering Dragon are all highlights and I also liked the Blue Smelter Demon (probably due to how much his brother kicked my arse on my first time through so payback). There's still some unforgivable stuff with wonky hit boxes and ganks. As bad as Iron Passage is it's nothing compared to Cave of the Dead. Fall down hole, immediately surrounded by enemies and petrifying statues and to top it off the Boss is a 3 man gank squad consisting of a great bow archer, a havel monster and another whose gimmick I don't remember.

Got to say the positives far outweigh the negatives IMO. Now, must not start Dark Souls 3.

• Advertisement

Got the SotFS on sale for a 9.99 a few weeks ago and have been plugging away since. Finished it in terms of achievements tonight so up to NG++ then used my boss souls to get to drangleic castle as soon as possible, only needed 500k souls after that. I'd played it on the 360 when it came out but not the DLC.

Played on Series X this time and and it looks far better than DS3 does on it. Am I right in thinking the Xbox version never got a a patch to address equipment degradation and frame rate? Had a few occasions where stuff broke mid fight even on NG.

Felt a lot easier than I remembered over all but the DLC was great but punishing, there were a few absolute gauntlets to run to some of the bosses. The main game bosses over all are some of the easiest of the series.

Best bit in the DLC was killing enemies and making a shortcut by rolling a snowball down a hill :D

Advertisement