Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Got scholar of the first sin in psn sale for 10 quid. Only played the original and none of the DLC so looking forward to another playthrough. I usually go for a light sword with greatshield build in the souls game, said I'd try a magic build, came out of the house as a warrior :( Can't seem to bring myself to ever make a magic build.

Anyone recommend any early items to pick up? Mad to try the DLC but I'd say they are late game, if not end game, so looking for help to get there quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Anyone recommend any early items to pick up? Mad to try the DLC but I'd say they are late game, if not end game, so looking for help to get there quickly.

Ah I dove into the dlcs as soon as I could access them. Got so far until my ass was kicked and went back to main game to level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Anytime i play Dak souls 2 now, i cant seem to not do this quick level boost to get me into the good stuff quicker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Playing through SotFS. Oh my fcuking glob, it is so annoying. The run to the Old Iron King is the worst, it's so unfair. Getting highly frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

nix wrote: »
    Anytime i play Dak souls 2 now, i cant seem to not do this quick level boost to get me into the good stuff quicker :D

That still work in SotfS? Never tried a hex build before and might if it's that quick to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

J. Marston wrote: »
    That still work in SotfS? Never tried a hex build before and might if it's that quick to achieve.

Yup still works, i do it all the time, i just never bother with going for the hex build part though, i find magic too slow and boring in these games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

nix wrote: »
    Yup still works, i do it all the time, i just never bother with going for the hex build part though, i find magic too slow and boring in these games :(

Mix it up with an enchanted longsword, longswords a solid weapon with feck all str/Dex requirements

Pre-patch Dark was the strongest iirc but I'm not sure if that's changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Lads how tf does the multiplayer work? The online resources for this are ****e in comparison to the other two Dark Souls games so can't really find good answers.

Or is the game just dead online now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

Started a new game of this . I want to go with a magic build and would appreciate some help with stat management. I picked the cleric and poured every soul into int and fth . I increased atn by 3 too

Vgr 11
    End 3
    Vit 8
    Atn 13
    Str 11
    Dex 5
    Adp 4
    Int 31
    Fth 29

Ive powered up the mace to +5 too for some meelee combat when needed. Im finding heides tower of flame tough because i used a bonfire ascetic at first bonfire. Any tips on where next stats to power up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Started a new game of this . I want to go with a magic build and would appreciate some help with stat management. I picked the cleric and poured every soul into int and fth . I increased atn by 3 too

Vgr 11
    End 3
    Vit 8
    Atn 13
    Str 11
    Dex 5
    Adp 4
    Int 31
    Fth 29

Ive powered up the mace to +5 too for some meelee combat when needed. Im finding heides tower of flame tough because i used a bonfire ascetic at first bonfire. Any tips on where next stats to power up ?
    Increasing attunement will decrease your casting time which is always helpful. Have you picked up any of the hexes yet? They're pretty powerful from what I remember.

• Advertisement

Dark orb

It might be worth trying to pick up more since you've already got high intelligence and faith. Straid of Olaphis in Lost Bastille who sells some and Felkin the Outcast on the way to the Huntsman's Copse does too.

Made some real progress in this last night, I have both my Faith and Intelligence at 40 each and attunement at 25. Should I keep ploughing souls into these 3 stats. I want to remain a pure magic build.

Made some real progress in this last night, I have both my Faith and Intelligence at 40 each and attunement at 25. Should I keep ploughing souls into these 3 stats. I want to remain a pure magic build.
    Unless you need higher Intelligence or faith to attune to a spell I'd leave them there. 40 is the softcap for those stats and you get almost nothing beyond 50.

Boost attunement until you don't need any more slots and some points into adaptability will be good too. That increases your iframes and lets you drink estus quicker. Or get some endurance for more stamina.

I've started a hexer run through myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Been considering starting up a new character in this. Putting souls into Adaptability is a must, increased iframes, estus and doesn't it increase spell casting time as well? I have SotFS but only completed the base game so seriously considering another play through for this reason. I found the hit boxes in this to be the worst of the 3 and even using your weapon is harder. Originally thought the latter was a glitch but I've since read its intentional and you need to adjust your aim /position even while locked on. How soon do you get access to some decent hexes?

Been considering starting up a new character in this. Putting souls into Adaptability is a must, increased iframes, estus and doesn't it increase spell casting time as well? I have SotFS but only completed the base game so seriously considering another play through for this reason. I found the hit boxes in this to be the worst of the 3 and even using your weapon is harder. Originally thought the latter was a glitch but I've since read its intentional and you need to adjust your aim /position even while locked on. How soon do you get access to some decent hexes?
    If you can get through Heide's Tower of Flame quickly enough, very early. Free Licia of Lindelt in Heide's Tower of Flame and have her adjust the mechanism in Manjula so you can head towards Huntsman's Copse. Before you get to the first bonfire you'll see Felkin the Outcast. He sells hexes, staves, and chimes. If you have 20 faith and intelligence he'll give you some good equipment too.

Evade wrote: »
    Unless you need higher Intelligence or faith to attune to a spell I'd leave them there. 40 is the softcap for those stats and you get almost nothing beyond 50.

Boost attunement until you don't need any more slots and some points into adaptability will be good too. That increases your iframes and lets you drink estus quicker. Or get some endurance for more stamina.

I've started a hexer run through myself.
    Thanks, Magic builds really is easy mode in this game. I have finished it before but not all the DLCs. How do you compare it to the other games in the series, I've played all(including bloodborne) and completed them all except demon souls. For a long time I used to think DS2 was the weakest but I'm not so sure anymore, its definitely the longest game in the series and the most like an RPG if you know what I mean, DS 1 was the best for its originality and level design. I have completed DS3 about 10 times and BB twice, DS3 and BB have the best graphics and best controls and they are also the easiest to tank through in a couple of days. They are also the most linear of the games, there's no way I could tank through D2 like I do DS3

I've only played the Scholar of the First Sin edition and I think it's fine. I do think the criticism that most of the bosses are just dudes in armour is right though, it could use a little more variety. It's definitely nowhere near the blight on the series it's made out to be.

I personally liked it but do think it's the weakest of the lot. I finished them all with the exception of the DLC in SotFS but am definitely considering another play to complete it. The opening areas of this one is extremely unforgiving but eventually I found it got quite easy. I found most of the Bosses to easy and struggled more against normal enemies. For me the best and most challenging bosses were Lost Sinner, The Rotten and hardest by far was Smelter Demon. So I think it's the weakest Souls game but still a very good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I personally liked it but do think it's the weakest of the lot. I finished them all with the exception of the DLC in SotFS but am definitely considering another play to complete it. The opening areas of this one is extremely unforgiving but eventually I found it got quite easy. I found most of the Bosses to easy and struggled more against normal enemies. For me the best and most challenging bosses were Lost Sinner, The Rotten and hardest by far was Smelter Demon. So I think it's the weakest Souls game but still a very good game.

Nick, you seem to be a glutton for punishment with these games.
    Have you tried FURY ?!.
    It's a boss rush game..but very good...and hard.
    I've a spare key for PC if you want it (joypad recommended)

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Nick, you seem to be a glutton for punishment with these games.
    Have you tried FURY ?!.
    It's a boss rush game..but very good...and hard.
    I've a spare key for PC if you want it (joypad recommended)

Don't I know it Sean. I think the only non Souls game I've played and finished in the past 12 months is LA Noire. Currently trying to play Hitman (latest one) and Crash Bandicoot but my thoughts just go back to Souls though I'm sticking with them for now. After them I'm considering another play of this or my first SL1 play through on DS1.

Never heard of Fury. Thanks for the offer, very generous. Unfortunately I'm on PS4. Don't have a PC, just a very old laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Don't I know it Sean. I think the only non Souls game I've played and finished in the past 12 months is LA Noire. Currently trying to play Hitman (latest one) and Crash Bandicoot but my thoughts just go back to Souls though I'm sticking with them for now. After them I'm considering another play of this or my first SL1 play through on DS1.

Never heard of Fury. Thanks for the offer, very generous. Unfortunately I'm on PS4. Don't have a PC, just a very old laptop.

It's called Furi and is on PS4, it was actually a psplus game free last year sometime.

Sound thanks. I'll look into it.

The Dark Fog hex is very overpowered. Cast it at a boss a few times and then dodge the rest of the fight as their health ticks down. Throw a few Dark Orbs too if you get bored.

What attribute increases the amount of times you can use a spell

Intelligence for sorceries, faith for miracles, and both for hexes and pyromancies. Attuning a second copy of the spell works too. I have two dark orbs and two dark fogs attuned at the minute for 46 dark orb casts and 10 dark fogs with intelligence and faith both at 45.

EDIT: Intelligence and faith increase damage, attunement increases castings.

I started this again after Vampyr. Gank mobs hard, bosses easy. It was my first Souls game to finish but I summoned (NPC's) most of the time so determined to Solo and do the DLC's. So far managed to solo all. Smelter Demon is still an arsehole. Not beaten him yet. The combat is so clunky and hit boxes are absurd. I'm enjoying more than I remember though. Still my least favourite out of the 5 games but it's still good. Been reading this thread from release time. Interesting comments for sure!

Oh and got 3 consecutive NPC invasions (playing offline) in Iron Keep. I only remember one from before.

Finally managed to solo Smelter. Few times prior I had him one hit away and the absurd hitboxes killed me. I'm behind him, he pushes sword forward (away from me) and it registered as a hit taking full health. Not an AOE either. Bull crap.

So going by posts earlier in the thread from just after release. A lot of people saying this is harder and better than one. Really? Do people think that? It's a good game but IMO is nowhere near as good as any of the other four games.

The worst part about that fight is it's optional but it's not if going for completion. Keep the summoned NPC alive was a massive pain there.

• Advertisement

Is keeping summoned NPC's alive to complete their story unique to this game? Wasn't aware that was a requirement at all. I thought they were just there for a dig out if you were stuck and had no Internet.

Advertisement