Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do express the most minor of disappointments that they have not continued the seemingly emerging trend of '____ Souls' titles. Dark Souls II is just a little bit less imaginative. No copyright shenanigans this time I guess!

In all other respects, this is the best gaming news since the announcement of Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Randy_Marsh_covered_in_ectoplasm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Hopefully they will make a decent PC port this time. Otherwise I'm not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

N64 wrote: »
    Hopefully they will make a decent PC port this time. Otherwise I'm not interested.

The PC port was good with some fan fixes.
    They can do the same thing again and I will buy the PC version again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I do express the most minor of disappointments that they have not continued the seemingly emerging trend of '____ Souls' titles. Dark Souls II is just a little bit less imaginative. No copyright shenanigans this time I guess!

In all other respects, this is the best gaming news since the announcement of Dark Souls.

Who gives a shiet how it's called. As long as they butcher me at every single corner I will be a happy camper! :D

Good news, hopefully PC version will come out at the same tune. And hopefully no games for windows!!!

• Advertisement

A sequel allows them to go deeper into the lore of the Dark Souls world, it might work out better this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,960 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

great great news !! i was waiting for an announcement for a new game for a while. i'm glad they are making a sequel rather than a brand new game. i just hope it's not a year or more away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I don't have a word of Japanese, but Dark Souls II is on PS3, 360 and PC - that much I gathered from the press release:

http://www.fromsoftware.jp/corpinfo/release/pdf/ds2_jp_web_20121208.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll hop on with THIS one.
    Really this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Game has new directors, I'm a bit concerned, I don't think I can link to other forums but this is from a prominent gaming forum:
    Two new directors are taking the helm from Miyazak.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503292

An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?

There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?

As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.

I really hope the bolded isn't management speak for "dumbed down" and "easy".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

they better leave the mysteries of the dark soul world and not give a narrative cutscene one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Sounds like they will be doing a lot more explaining the lore rather than the way it was handled in Dark Souls... I've mixed feelings about that. On one hand i loved how the story didn't push itself on you and having to check items to piece it together, on the other I think it was a little too vague. Hopefully they get the balance right. A few more scenes with a voice over like when you first leave the undead asylum really wouldn't have hurt in my opinion. Once they don't go all Metal Gear and give us hour long waffle I'll be happy.

Best news in ages this is.. hopefully late next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Danonino. wrote: »
    Sounds like they will be doing a lot more explaining the lore rather than the way it was handled in Dark Souls... I've mixed feelings about that. On one hand i loved how the story didn't push itself on you and having to check items to piece it together, on the other I think it was a little too vague. Hopefully they get the balance right. A few more scenes with a voice over like when you first leave the undead asylum really wouldn't have hurt in my opinion. Once they don't go all Metal Gear and give us hour long waffle I'll be happy.
    I'd be the same. It's nice not to have the narrative shoved down your throat but for most of my first play-through of Dark Souls I hadn't a clue what was going on. More exposition would be welcomed.

I get the feeling from the trailer that there might be an actual plot rather than just a loose overall goal.

I wouldn't have found any of the covenants (bar Way of the White) if I hadn't read it somewhere first so the odd bit of signposting mightn't be a bad thing but then again if it aint broke why fix it?

If they mean purely the narrative then it wouldn't be a bad thing but I have a feeling they mean the difficulty and unforgiving nature we know and love. There's something about that Elder scrolls reference that really worries me!

If they mess with the formula and change it to suit what they believe the "casual" gamer wants then I will have finally lost all hope with the gaming industry.

However I could well be looking into this too much and hopefully they are talking about the lore and narrative side of things. Personally I don't think they should change the current Souls approach but it could work.... right??? :o

Well according to this both the producers and Namco are promising a game full of "unrelenting challenge." So hopefully they wont tinker with the difficulty.

The full piece was posted by noodler here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,960 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

at 8 o clock this evening IGN will be showing 12 minutes of game play, and will also be doing a Q and A with the developers. The link is on the IGN site or app ,

Edit : link http://go.ign.com/ZMsnhc

Praise the Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

2smiggy wrote: »
    at 8 o clock this evening IGN will be showing 12 minutes of game play, and will also be doing a Q and A with the developers. The link is on the IGN site or app , I'm on my mobile now so I won't try and link it :)

Praise the Sun

Thanks for that, never visit IGN. Looking forward to this now

2smiggy wrote: »
    at 8 o clock this evening IGN will be showing 12 minutes of game play, and will also be doing a Q and A with the developers. The link is on the IGN site or app ,

Edit : link http://go.ign.com/ZMsnhc

Praise the Sun

Holy ****, this will be very very interesting to say the least. Queue the entire internet going into meltdown after 12 minutes of QTE's, double jumping, wall climbing, button mashing action with massive floating arrows, dialogue wheels and an emo haired protagonist called Epic Dave. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well more DS is a good thing but it does look very familiar. I'm curious to see what else they have added.

Right now, I'm looking forward to more but a little wary it's more of an expansion rather than sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, that definitely looks like Dark Souls.

Don't know what else to say really. Slightly prettier (or is that uglier)?

Looks like more of the same so that should allay any fears of a change of direction.

Nothing there really to get too excited about but I'm sure they#re saving the juicy bits for a later reveal.

I'm not really sure it's possible to save the juicy bits, TBH. Sure, throw in a massive boss, but the joy of Dark Souls is that it slowly, slowly reveals its depths and pleasures to you over dozens of hours. A gameplay video just cannot capture that - it's not a traditionally marketable game, much like trying to put together a trailer for a slow, sombre arthouse film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Dark Souls is easily one of the best designed games I've ever played so if DSII is more of the same I'm ok with that. I can't actually think of how they could significantly improve on Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

danthefan wrote: »
    Dark Souls is easily one of the best designed games I've ever played so if DSII is more of the same I'm ok with that. I can't actually think of how they could significantly improve on Dark Souls.

This :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

cant wait for this :)
    they can make it the same graphics, same mechanics all they want
    once theirs new areas to conquer and new bosses , il happily pay full price for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yeah looks ok, looks like Dark Souls alright. Graphics seem to be worse and the main character animations seem to be off but its early days yet so can't judge it just yet. Gonna do a media blackout on this game now and pick it up on release :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Gonna do a media blackout on this game now and pick it up on release :cool:

Looks great, feel ive spoiled it abit by watching that vid so going to do the same with a blockout. That's what made Demons Souls and Dark Souls so memorable, seeing it acting out for the first time and realising your mistakes the hard way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There were enough surprises, and 'god ****** dammit' moments in Dark Souls, even after watching a ton of trailers, so i'll probably keep watching these updates for the time being anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sums up the Dark Souls 2 pretty well i think :P

xlarge.gif

Advertisement