Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Were they foreshadowing with the dying artist - were they saying Elizabeth going to die for her work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gaaahh, Philips so dead..

I'd seen some film or tv show before where victims were found without Heads and Hands so they wouldn't be identifiable. I just can't remember where. Was it Mindhunter or some old CSI from ages ago? Doesn't feel right that it was a tv show unless it was something like Cracker. Must have been a film.

Stan is definitely onto them. Just a matter of what he can do with the info.

Still unsure about Elizabeth dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

You might be thinking of The Wire. The character of Sergei (Boris) would do that. Though it was never shown.

“Did he have hands, a face?. Yes, then it wasn’t us.”

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    You might be thinking of The Wire. The character of Sergei (Boris) would do that. Though it was never shown.

“Did he have hands, a face?. Yes, then it wasn’t us.”

Is that not The Shield? The Armenian gangsters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Stan hadn't told anyone yet. I wonder could that cost him

I'm seeing Elizabeth and Philip split over Stan's fate if they realize he's onto them.

Could be all wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is that not The Shield? The Armenian gangsters?

Yeah, The Shield had a fair few feet and such going missing, iirc.
    Milkman.. wrote: »
    Stan hadn't told anyone yet. I wonder could that cost him

I'm seeing Elizabeth and Philip split over Stan's fate if they realize he's onto them.

Could be all wrong though

Yeah, I'm a bit uncertain too. There was discussion in reviews about whether Stan really knows. Suspicion without confirmation, whether he'll get evidence and tell, or ultimately find out too late. It does seem that everyone's fates are somewhat sealed at this point, though again, it's impossible to predict what's going to happen. Chicago felt a little like they were reuniting Philip and Elizabeth, maybe not just for the job, we had that bed chat and honesty - yet they still seem so far apart. Elizabeth had done her homework on the route. Car stuff was as with past seasons, and the shooting unfussy, no exaggerated sounds, etc. And of course, Philip remains the saddest man on TV

Props to Sarah Nolen - her first writing gig on this, excellent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Milkman.. wrote: »

One thing that came out during the podcast with the writer was the admittance that Stan and Philip are best friends. If you think how each has been there for each other over the years that would be a hard one to call.

IF there is some killing, I would see Elizabeth doing it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There was discussion in reviews about whether Stan really knows.

He doesn't know but when Philip hugged him it tipped him off that he was being 'worked' as he hugged Gennady the same way when he was working him. If Philip had just talked for a few minutes more, maybe about how awful it feels that Henry's schooling is at risk, then just walked away, Stan's spidey sense would have been satisfied. But instead, Philip moved to quieten Stan's suspicions in the exact same way that Stan had used to control an asset. So every not quite right thing about Philip that Stan had forced himself to ignore since the pilot suddenly came back to the fore. Now Stan is on the hunt, just like he was with Zinaida in S3. He's had a moment of revelation and he won't stop until he has evidence.

In this case he will be hoping for evidence that Philip really is just Philip Jennings, mild-mannered travel agent. But now that he's digging, it won't take him long to figure out the truth. All he has to do is a background check for death certificates of babies Philip Jennings and Elizabeth Corman in the 1940s and he'll have his evidence. No quick task, as he'd be acting alone and off the clock, but straightforward and not the kind of investigation that Philip or Elizabeth would have any chance of figuring out or stopping.

The other thing suggested in reviews was if Philip had discussed difficulties in his marriage, more so than the travel agency's problems, that would passed the smell test with Stan.

How do you reckon it'll end?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think it's almost impossible to guess. I can't imagine it being a happy ending, though I'm rooting for Oleg more than anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Desktopper

"Competitive edge" that was too funny!

It's all a bit rushed imo

How many has Elizabeth killed ?,she must be Americas worst serial killer

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

watched ep 7 last night

I am not convinced re paige having what it takes to go the next level as a spy.

Henry ,will he be their downfall? No way,he is going to Russia.

I ll avoid ep 8 spoliers for the next week..

Meeting the priest.. who is being watched.. uhuh.

The one thing that struck me this time is that plot device of Elizabeth smoking so much. It feels a bit forced. Her smoking never really struck me all that much in previous seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Thought this latest ep was brilliant, one of those episodes you just want to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Slydice wrote: »
    Meeting the priest.. who is being watched.. uhuh.

The one thing that struck me this time is that plot device of Elizabeth smoking so much. It feels a bit forced. Her smoking never really struck me all that much in previous seasons.

I've just been listening to The Americans podcast and the showrunners mentioned that the character that Elizabeth put on while with Gregory was a heavy smoker whereas Elizabeth was not. But as she is currently under a lot of stress we have seen her smoke a lot more.

Stan's face re the she smoked like a chimney line, and then later Stavos dropped that anvil about the back office. :eek: The opening scene had a verbal swing or three, Claudia's speech could have been a teaser too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Stan's face re the she smoked like a chimney line, and then later Stavos dropped that anvil about the back office. :eek: The opening scene had a verbal swing or three, Claudia's speech could have been a teaser too.
    doesn't philip have to kill stavos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Textronic

It's all very chaotic to finish

doesn't philip have to kill stavos

It didn't come up in the latest episode but tbh I think Philip is tired of the killing anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I wish I had a go-bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

There has to be a standoff between Stan and the Jennings surely

Stan didn't reveal all the information he had to aderholt in the fbi corridor,he's still out there on his own with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I was surprised Elizabeth didnt kill Claudia. There was issues in the past when she beat her to a pulp!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It all feels a bit rushed now even though we've building up to it for so long. Can't believe there's only one episode left :(

It all feels a bit rushed now even though we've building up to it for so long. Can't believe there's only one episode left :(

Not very satisfying it has to be said

Everything falling apart all at the same time,like they didn't put much thought into it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Textronic wrote: »
    Not very satisfying it has to be said

Everything falling apart all at the same time,like they didn't put much thought into it

Kinda like the Soviet Union.

I don't get that vibe. The show has always been emotionally devastating and has leaned into that pretty heavily again this year. 6.09 was no less of an example of that. Claudia and Elizabeth, then Elizabeth and Paige. I said 'Christ' when she dropped the 'whore' reference. Next week will be more of this for Philip and Elizabeth and probably Stan too.

Decent episode mostly but then at the end it really kicked in and .. that scene was done so well that I started feeling.. I dunno.. the heebie jeebies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Good episode, but I still wish they had another four episodes left instead of just the one. I don't know why they have to rush everything into the single episode, considering they've had 6 years to patiently build everything up - it does feel a little bit rushed, gripping, but rushed.

Advertisement