Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Johnnywaters

That poor guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

That poor guy!

The rapey guy? Not exactly a sympathetic character.

The scene was a bit stupid as Elizabeth would never do something like that on a street in the middle of the city, completely undisguised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Cloudio9 wrote: »

The scene was a bit stupid as Elizabeth would never do something like that on a street in the middle of the city, completely undisguised.

She was protecting Paige, at any cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

and the whole episode was showing us how she was wrecked from all the work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Eh? Have you seen previous seasons of the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

On the contrary, it's exactly what you would expect of her. I love the way she dealt with the situation.

The signs were good from very early on that the show has got back on track after the lull of last season. The new storyline is clever as the schisms and splits at the top of the Soviet Union are now being mirrored by Philip and Elizabeth. We know what happened with Gorbachev and his enemies but how this plays out with Philip and Elizabeth is anyone's guess.

I had great hopes for this season and even more so now that I've seen the first episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It was in course to be a disappointing episode, until!!

crisis episode for Paige incoming!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Rhys directing, so a little light on Philip for this one, but how about those coloured ties/suits, eh? Still got plenty on his mind anyway. Almost thought Elizabeth was going to murder whoever was cutting the grass next door. Good old mail robot shout out. Stan acting as a marriage counsellor, Liz too. When Claudia asked what the ill woman draws it's not like Elizabeth can just whip out a phone with shots of the art! Ah, lithium and you just can't beat an 80s airport, really. The general I don't remember much of, tbh...articles point to him from a while back. Filthy commies don't pray. And they can't afford an arms race. Stan/Oleg bromance update pending. Meanwhile in urban transport planning...

Paige's curiosity conversation with Elizabeth re sex/espionage was half trainee and half mother/daughter. Her second mistake - breaking protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Haven't been blown away by anything so far in the season, but maybe that's okay; the last couple of seasons started out like freight trains and then gradually lost momentum as they went on.

I have to give more praise than usual to the hair and make up department. It really must be a herculean task to make Keri Russell look so convincingly beaten down by life. How do they do it?

Certain tiny things have made me go really? Philip line dancing in episode one: really? I know he's embracing life to a newfound extent, but surely he hasn't left all reason behind entirely.

And I'll never, ever, under any circumstance be able to buy Paige as a spy. I know that's partly the point, but she's such an All American girl scout that it shatters my suspension of disbelief entirely whenever I see her slinking around up to no good for Mother USSR.

It was great to see Arkady again, my favourite supporting cast member. If it had been up to me I would have kept the storytelling ultra simple there. I would have had a scene of Oleg opening his front door to him and then a shot of Arkady simply doing nothing else but looking at Oleg in a wearily patient manner, perhaps blowing a tired smoky exhalation out of one nostril, followed by the sound of a baby crying off in the apartment's interior and then BANG an instantaneous quick cut to Oleg walking around Washington once again. We would have got the picture and marvelled at Arkady's velvet touch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Arghus wrote: »
    Certain tiny things have made me go really? Philip line dancing in episode one: really? I know he's embracing life to a newfound extent, but surely he hasn't left all reason behind entirely.

That has been Philip since the very first episode when he was at the mall with Paige. He tried on the cowboy boots and had a sneaky little solo line dance. It was drawn to a halt when he saw the creeper forcefully coming on to 13 year old Paige.

The first episode of this season drew a lot of parallels with the pilot. First Philip's line dancing and secondly a creeper coming on to Paige making a senior Jennings take on a secret solo mission to punish them. Though Elizabeth just straight up killed the navy creeper while Philip settled for sticking a barbecue fork through mall creeper's hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ep 1 the fbi guys have really loose lips if their partners are gossiping about their case, ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

just watched ep 2 season 6 itv 4.

Its certainly gathering pace.Season 5 was glacial in comparsion.

Off with the blood whilst Philip, the voice of experience, schools Paige. Henry's call enough to put the spy stuff aside, momentarily. Elizabeth's calmer chat with Paige was in the full glare of sunshine, easier to talk then. There was also Philip's emphasis on 'had access' with the theme of finality burning throughout - Elizabeth's self-talk carried this too. Meanwhile in the travel agency it's motivation for repeat customers, Philip worked a few marks in the past, right? And bills to pay. Asylum drills down the family level, earlier we touched on how our two leads are far, far away from home. Except for that occasional glimpse - hence zharkoye a la Tupperware. I assume web searches for this recipe have jumped significantly in the past 24 hours - the show's obsessed with food. Don't forget that salt over the shoulder. Handy that Elizabeth was able to sit very close to Glen's table.

And after Elizabeth's confident security audit persona another body drops.

I thought
    she was gonna let yer man live

the music and the scene just felt like it was all done so well

the rest of the episode felt like plot development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Think so.

I'm leaning that one of the two dies. More than likely to save the others. Maybe both for the kids.

We still don't know what's up with Renee.

We still don't know what's up with Renee.

I reckon she's from the cia. They weren't too happy with Stan stopping them from turning Oleg and want to keep a close eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Elizabeth is killing everyone this year LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah she's on the rampage this year. The pizza delivery guy is next I reckon. I think it's a bit OTT in that regard in the moment, but I guess it shows that she's beginning to lose her handle on things and starting to get sloppy. It's always been a slightly comedic element of the show for me that they can kill people fairly indiscriminately and yet never really be in any fear of feeling the swarthy arm of law enforcement on their shoulder.

Anyone listening to the podcasts from Slate? They're pretty good, they have interviews with the show runners each week and usually with either the actors or someone involved in the production, gives a lot of insight into the making of the show.

I reckon she's from the cia. They weren't too happy with Stan stopping them from turning Oleg and want to keep a close eye on him.

I had assumed that too last season but I doubt that a CIA agent would marry an FBI agent in order to covertly spy on him. That just seems way too out there in terms of internal security, especially once Stan left counterintelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

And FBI agents don't kidnap Russian diplomats and shoot them in the back of the head while they eat a burger but it's a tv show that while excellent, plays fast and loose with real life procedure at times. Either way, since the time jump I don't think we can expect Renee to be an American agent, CIA, NSA, OPR, etc. At some point in the last 3 years she and Stan have gotten married (they are both wearing wedding rings that have been clearly seen at various times in the last 3 episodes) and I don't think an American agent would be so willing to marry and spend years living with a spouse they are investigating. Date him for a few months, sure, actually marry him and live full-time (not popping in and out like "Clark" was with Martha) as his wife, I just don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

S06E04: Bit of a filler episode. Not really a fan of the story line building that Philips intervention will help to end the Cold War.

One interesting possibility now open is a 21st century spin off series with Paige working in the CIA for Putin.

Elizabeth so tired! SO TIRED!

I wonder will it be one of the employees ripping Philips company off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Looking at Elizabeth and the fact that she is so tired all the time. Is this being set up for a major mistake on her part? Will it lead to her death or even Paige?

The storyline involving Philip and the travel agency is boring as whale ****, he may as not be in it this season. He doesn't stand up to Elizabeth and he used to be as hard as she is. Now he just looks whipped!!

I also listen to the slate podcasts. The interviews with the show runners are really interesting.

6.04 i.e. family fractures continue after the show's ground work from previous years.

The walk in the park in an effort to preserve progress. Oleg and Philip have something common. A night time breach with no let up in operations for Elizabeth, the radio static signals and that familiar alarm whirr we know from TV and films gone by. We're back in the Jennings' kitchen where so many key moments happen "is this how it is?". Ouch. Paige, you were warned not to mix things, and quite right, what would you know about "the world"? Philip revisits his rock star, sorry, I mean, Jim. Seize the day. Is E warning up to the art, or is it just a mask? That large painting seemed to get to her. The vomiting was a little unsettling too. With talk of "arrivals and departures" being about more than urban transportation. The Soviet fear of propaganda and Time magazine. Tailing Stan's asking for trouble. And as this episode was keen to note, whether it's capitalism or communism, rules and accountability are always there, if not the same.

The Slate podcasts are good. Interesting without being self-indulgent. I don't listen to anything else similar re behind the scenes and normally you don't get much access to showrunners beyond puff pieces. I presume FX back them in some capacity as John Landgraf on there before. Nice little return to fans of a fairly small show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭crushproof

Great episode (#5), momma is one heck of a cold blooded killer.

Is this the end for Philip, surely they have Kimmys phone tapped?

Advertisement