Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay your motor tax due in 12/12 now at current rates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I cant do this online -exp January 2013 so nobody can because "You will receive a renewal notice with PIN in the month your vehicle tax expires" which is January not December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yakuza wrote: »
    Just to update, I was able to renew (until 31/12/13) today for €330 (Band C), saving up to almost €50 if the mooted 15% increase comes through. My PIN wasn't the last 6 digits of the chassis (this is probably only for new cars, it did work in January when I taxed it for the first time) but I was able to retrieve it in 30 seconds via email.

Fair play OP!

Band C went to €390, so €60 extra in the pocket, sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Saved €29, not a huge amount but better in my pocket that being spent on printer cartridges in the Dail.

Does anyone knows can you pay tax in motor office now if you old tax exp at end of January 2013?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

My tax is up end of January but when I tried to pay online using my pin it said I will get a pin renew in the month my tax expires (January) ?

Sorry, was having a brain fart - my tax actually expires at the end of this month. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

maybe i missed the section but do regular motorcycles tax also increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

devil-80 wrote: »
    Does anyone knows can you pay tax in motor office now if you old tax exp at end of January 2013?

They will only take it from you in January'13.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

triple-M wrote: »
    maybe i missed the section but do regular motorcycles tax also increase?

Yes, motorcycle tax increased too - it's near the end of the document linked to earlier.

The rate for bikes over 200cc went from €82 to €88 per year.

Saved €6 by re-taxing mine early, thanks to the OP!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mine goes up 27€. got my new disc yesterday:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

gipi wrote: »
    Yes, motorcycle tax increased too - it's near the end of the document linked to earlier.

The rate for bikes over 200cc went from €82 to €88 per year.

Saved €6 by re-taxing mine early, thanks to the OP!!
    is it under cycles and tricycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Just tried this -"we are experiencing some technical problems, please try again later":rolleyes:

For clarity - my tax expires on 31/12/12 - should I be able to renew tax now at the old rates?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Yes you should be able to. I did mine last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

The increases are effective from 1 Jan. '13, so surely if your tax is due by 31 Dec. '12 and you pay it this month, there is no tax saving, unless you are changing from quarterly to an annual payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Libera wrote: »
    The increases are effective from 1 Jan. '13, so surely if your tax is due by 31 Dec. '12 and you pay it this month, there is no tax saving, unless you are changing from quarterly to an annual payment?
    ccazza wrote: »
    Yes you should be able to. I did mine last night.

I managed to retrieve my pin and have now taxed at the old rates. Last year when I got my pin in the post, I'm pretty sure the rates quoted on the renewal notice were post-budget even though my tax expired at end December and the new rates didn't kick in until Jan 1. So I saved a few quid this time by doing it early, thanks to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

I paid mine last night, my renewal notice wasnt sent out until January last with the new rates, wont screw me this year Enda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Getting in before the hike is plainly common sense, but given the punitive rates levied upon motorists in this country, it's a little galling to see it show up in BA.

Not blaming you for that OP btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Getting in before the hike is plainly common sense, but given the punitive rates levied upon motorists in this country, it's a little galling to see it show up in BA.

Not blaming you for that OP btw.

Cheers, you're right that it's not a traditional boards.ie bargain alert , but still I'm alerting people to a bargain (hence the post here).
    BTW, I got my new disk in the post today. Also, I'll see what people say here tomorrow about weather the new rates are already online or not and I'll probably have to change this post to EXPIRED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Patch123 wrote: »
    ...Last year when I got my pin in the post, I'm pretty sure the rates quoted on the renewal notice were post-budget even though my tax expired at end December and the new rates didn't kick in until Jan 1.

Pretty sure my dad's did aswell, and the renewal notices for 1st Jan renewals with the new rates arrived a few days after the budget. He didn't know he could tax it online before he got the letter so he managed to save a few euro this time round thanks to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Might as well mark this expired, Just checked motortax.ie (had to wait till today to tax it) and they put up the rates to the new rates online already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Libera wrote: »

I believe they update the rates before the end of the year though. So even if you pay in December, you will pay the post budget rate. I would imagine they will probably have updated now, as if your tax expires end of December you are paying for next year. That is what happened me 2 years ago anyhow, I paid mid December and paid the post budget rate, I paid Monday this year and got the old rate.

The OP is getting a pat on the back from me anyhow for the reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Might as well mark this expired, Just checked motortax.ie (had to wait till today to tax it) and they put up the rates to the new rates online already :(

For anyone due since December 01st you still get the pre budget rates.

For anyone due since December 01st you still get the pre budget rates.

Well my tax disk is 12/12, so I'm due for renewal, and the online rates have gone up for me
    25BYyl.jpg

The old rate was 626 (1.9 TDI)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well my tax disk is 12/12, so I'm due for renewal, and the online rates have gone up for me
    25BYyl.jpg

The old rate was 626 (1.9 TDI)

Yeah you're due Jan 01st, I said Dec 01st.

Yeah you're due Jan 01st, I said Dec 01st.

Fair enough, only reason I brought it up was because it was at the old rate for me last night and has gone up overnight, I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

just logged in hoping to get old rates :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Big thank you to the OP for spotting this - saved me €50 on my pre-2008 2 litre car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Now Expired (Not sure how to change the subject).

Advertisement