Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay your motor tax due in 12/12 now at current rates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Zascar wrote: »
    OP thanks for this, good to know. Quick question if you don't mind - I bought a new car and had to fill in the RF100F form including a period on non use. Taxing it now, it needs the Certificate of Roadworthiness Number - is this 100% necessary? If I don't have it will they reject it?

A cert of road worthiness is only required for goods vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I find it staggering that so many people genuinely(?) didn't realise that paying tax before it increases would save some money. :pac:

I think it's more the case that people didn't realise that it's possible to pay online before you actually get the pin number in the post (well speaking for myself anyhow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Lads, Just so you all know..you don't need to wait on your pin, your pin is the last 6 digits of your chassis number...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

arikv wrote: »
    As we all know from the leaked budget, the government is probably going to increase motor tax (possibly immediately as they did last year).
    If you go online and pay now (if you don't have the pin number you can easily retrieve online from the same log on page).
    I did that yesterday and even if price increases I'll have paid the current rate.

www.motortax.ie[/QUOTE]

Brilliant that worked a treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Thanks OP paid mine this morning; should make a nice saving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Ill wait with mine till tomorrow when thats will be 100% sure.
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

arikv wrote: »
    As we all know from the leaked budget, the government is probably going to increase motor tax (possibly immediately as they did last year).
    If you go online and pay now (if you don't have the pin number you can easily retrieve online from the same log on page).
    I did that yesterday and even if price increases I'll have paid the current rate.

www.motortax.ie

Thanks! Just did this and now my car is taxed until 1/14.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

lordgoat wrote: »
    Do the government out of euros? I know it's off topic, but Christ some people need to understand the concept of why you pay taxes.

Can we take it that you volunteer more than you are required to pay then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

15% increase, madness.. I drive a simple 05 1.9 diesel and if that 15% comes through its over a €100 increase :O Frustrating times, especially seeing spanking new Beamers driving down the road with their drivers spending a fraction of what I'm paying

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks OP. Got caught out with this last year as wasn't expecting an IMMEDIATE tax increase on Budget Day, thought it would be effective from 01/01 as most increases are. Had forgotten about it tho' so great to get the reminder, thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ando wrote: »
    15% increase, madness.. I drive a simple 05 1.9 diesel and if that 15% comes through its over a €100 increase :O Frustrating times, especially seeing spanking new Beamers driving down the road with their drivers spending a fraction of what I'm paying
    A 05 1.9 diesel is only likely to see a 7% increase.

It's the post-08 bands that will see the biggest percentage increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Mine is up end of 01/13 and I get :(

PIN Retrieval Unsuccessful
    The tax on this vehicle is not due. You will receive a renewal notice with PIN in the month your vehicle tax expires.

If I could Tax it now I would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I cant find my insurance company on the drop down menu. It is bestquote but the policy is underwritten by Sertus. Anyone else have this problem? Looks like I can't renew online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

dirtyden wrote: »
    I cant find my insurance company on the drop down menu. It is bestquote but the policy is underwritten by Sertus. Anyone else have this problem? Looks like I can't renew online.

select any insurance provider and a random number for policy details. It will process fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'd this problem but there was a different name on my insurance disc and it worked fine after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

sgarvan wrote: »
    Mine is up end of 01/13 and I get :(

PIN Retrieval Unsuccessful
    The tax on this vehicle is not due. You will receive a renewal notice with PIN in the month your vehicle tax expires.

If I could Tax it now I would

Obviously you can't renew it, it isn't due for renewal for almost two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Thanks for the heads up lads i paid online just now for January. Cheeky feckers they are by not sending me notice of my renewal a month in advance they caught me last year but never again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Lads, Just so you all know..you don't need to wait on your pin, your pin is the last 6 digits of your chassis number...

So why do I get a different PIN every renewal?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cheers OP. Never realised I didn't have to wait for the PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Just to clarify, i can just make up my insurance details? My insurance is up in two weeks and I will mnost likely be switching providers but dont know which yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I always just put in zeros for the insurance thing as I never have it on me..

Nope, incorrect.
    ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Is RSA listed? Sertus are part of the rsa insurance group ;)

Just to clarify, i can just make up my insurance details? My insurance is up in two weeks and I will mnost likely be switching providers but dont know which yet.
    Yes, select the first provider and enter any details you like for the policy number. It WILL work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

First PIN is from the VIN, then they give you a random PIN for each subsequent renewal AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Thanks just paid there. Will save 53e if the 15% comes in. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

chasm wrote: »
    Is RSA listed? Sertus are part of the rsa insurance group ;)

I did not know that, thanks!!

Just paid there now. I got caught out a few years ago by this. My tax is up at end of December, I paid after budget and was charged the new higher price. I had assumed it would not kick in until new tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just bought a car today. It's out of tax. Garage man gave me the Log Book rather than posting it to Shannon, he reckoned they would let me tax it in my name in the tax office, any ideas?

• Advertisement

Just bought a car today. It's out of tax. Garage man gave me the Log Book rather than posting it to Shannon, he reckoned they would let me tax it in my name in the tax office, any ideas?
    Go to the tax office. Complete the form for tax renewal ( think its a RF100A ). They'll have them in the tax office. Fill out the details as per the current Reg Cert. ( i.e Previous owners name, address, yada yada yada ). On the insurance provider section, just enter your insurance provider and policy number. Select your tax term. 3/6/12mths. Pay the money. That should do it.

Then send that book to shannon with your details on it :)

Advertisement