Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay your motor tax due in 12/12 now at current rates

Options
  • 03-12-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

As we all know from the leaked budget, the government is probably going to increase motor tax (possibly immediately as they did last year).
    If you go online and pay now (if you don't have the pin number you can easily retrieve online from the same log on page).
    I did that yesterday and even if price increases I'll have paid the current rate.

www.motortax.ie

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

arikv wrote: »
    As we all know from the leaked budget, the government is probably going to increase motor tax (possibly immediately as they did last year).
    If you go online and pay now (if you don't have the pin number you can easily retrieve online from the same log on page).
    I did that yesterday and even if price increases I'll have paid the current rate.

www.motortax.ie[/QUOTE]

Increase of up to 15% on Wednesday.

The b^stards.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

" The tax on this vehicle is not due. You will receive a renewal notice with PIN in the month your vehicle tax expires. "....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Sorry, does this work or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Goodne wrote: »
    Sorry, does this work or not?

Only if your tax is due. Not bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭crayon80

Only if your tax is due. Not bargain.

Might be no good for you but if someone's tax IS due they'd make a pretty decent saving. And do the government out of €€€'s and all: bonus :D

• Advertisement

crayon80 wrote: »

Might be no good for you but if someone's tax IS due they'd make a pretty decent saving. And do the government out of €€€'s and all: bonus :D

Hardly a bargain though, its just logical to pay a bill before the inevitable scheduled increase, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 krb1979

Thanks for the post OP. My tax was due this month and was waiting for the PIN. Probably saved 30+ euros. Nice one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i thought it goes up from 1st Jan etc i.e. they set a certain time. Only booze, fags, petrol do they put an emergency measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Motor tax will not increase until 01/01/2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Are we sure that they can implement this immediately? Not too sure if i want to fork over cash to them until I have to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

When I got the renewal last year it already had the new rates.
    Due every December, the notice with the pin only arrived after bedget day, and I know know that you can request it before budget day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Not true, I renewed my tax due 01/01/2012 on 15/12/2011 and I had to pay the 2012 rates. I queried this with the Motor Tax office and they flat out refused to budge. The rates are increased with immediate effect for cars due to be taxed on or after 01/01/2013, regardless of if you pay in December 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

If/When they say immediately, I presume they mean from Midnight tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

Maybe the government will surprise us all for Christmas and drop the tax rates by half. Then you won't feel too smart for paying early!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Cheers OP - better safe than sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How is this a bargain alert?

The figures arent even released yet.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Great Post, just paid for the year, saved at least 80 euros, cheers op

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In the independent.

As revealed in yesterday's Irish Independent, the Government is expected to use the extra cash from millionaires' mansions to reduce the property tax for owners of ordinary homes. The change is set to cut the property tax bill for the average house by €30 from €300 to €270.

The new rates expected are a base rate of 0.18pc – slightly down from 0.2pc – with a new higher rate of 0.25pc on houses valued at more than a €1m.

Changes to the motor tax bands will also be revealed tomorrow. The current system taxes cars registered after 2008 on their emissions count, while vehicles before that are taxed on engine size.

Four out of five motorists are still paying under the old system but the emissions-based system has led to a massive shortfall in motor tax, which the Government is trying to make up.

Those with pre-2008 cars face an average 7pc hike, while those on the new system will be paying at least 20pc more.

Sources have confirmed the exact increase for the most common family car, a 1.6 litre engine, will be a jump from €478 to €514. Those with two-litre engines will fork out an extra €50, with their annual cost increasing from €660 to €710.

The Irish Independent first revealed the Government had targeted motor tax for an additional €150m, or a 15pc increase, last month. However, drivers of eco-friendly cars will be hit with the steepest rates increase. Someone on the new system with the lowest A emission rating will see their annual tax jump from €160 to €200.

This takes in a broad range of cars, with the BMW 520d diesel costing more than €45,000, and the Toyota Yaris (€15,000).

But it will be even more of a burden for cars on higher emissions bands. Most motorists who own a car registered after 2008 fall into the second and third emissions bands, B and C, and pay €225 and €330 in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Thank you op, I saved 60e by paying this early (Assuming a 10% hike) Couldve been more if its 15% which I doubt.
    This is a bargain alert for some of us.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

crayon80 wrote: »

Do the government out of euros? I know it's off topic, but Christ some people need to understand the concept of why you pay taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Cheers op. Got stuck with the just announced increase last year for Jan-Dec 2012. Just payed for 2013 and hopefully saved a few euro in the process.

Not a chance of motor tax going down IMHO, the only way is up unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

lordgoat wrote: »
    Do the government out of euros? I know it's off topic, but Christ some people need to understand the concept of why you pay taxes.

I'd rather feed myself for 2 weeks than give it to the Government if I can legally avoid it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

lordgoat wrote: »

He *is* paying his taxes. You have a problem because he's not paying enough? There really is no pleasing some people.:rolleyes:

It's perfectly fine to pay what you owe to the government and not a cent more. If, by chance, you can save yourself a few bob by paying before a given date, what's the problem. Did you pay your household charge a few months late so you could have the pleasure of giving the government more money, or did you "do them out of money" by paying before the March deadline? Anyway, they'll have to pay the new rate next year, so it's all just a matter of time before new rate has to be paid by everyone. (And it will probably go up again next year, so I'm sure we'll see a similar thread in a year's time!
    I'd rather feed myself for 2 weeks than give it to the Government if I can legally avoid it.

Thanks.
    +1000

My tax is up at the end of the year, so I guess when the notice comes (should be soon enough) it will probably be at the new rates :(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

paid my renewal this morning... 2ltr accord - €667

if it goes up by 15% ill be looking at €767 next year...

and with the mansion tax and higher tax for earners over 100k i am really getting raped by our inept government

screw you politicians, think its time to emigrate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Well done OP, fair playu for posting this.

I'm still waiting for miy notice to come in the post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

........ and higher tax for earners over 100k i am really getting raped by our inept government
    Sorry Rick, but i'd take your pain, given the choice:o

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Yakuza wrote: »
    My tax is up at the end of the year, so I guess when the notice comes (should be soon enough) it will probably be at the new rates :(

My tax was up the end of the year too (31/DEC/2012) I applied in advance for the Pin code using Pin retrieval on their website and I got it early a few minutes later in Email. You can do the same if your tax is due this side of January 1st I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heavywater

and with the mansion tax and higher tax for earners over 100k i am really getting raped by our inept government

Humble brag?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP thanks for this, good to know. Quick question if you don't mind - I bought a new car and had to fill in the RF100F form including a period on non use. Taxing it now, it needs the Certificate of Roadworthiness Number - is this 100% necessary? If I don't have it will they reject it?

• Advertisement

I find it staggering that so many people genuinely(?) didn't realise that paying tax before it increases would save some money. :pac:

Advertisement