Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay your motor tax due in 12/12 now at current rates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

dodzy wrote: »
    Go to the tax office. Complete the form for tax renewal ( think its a RF100A ). They'll have them in the tax office. Fill out the details as per the current Reg Cert. ( i.e Previous owners name, address, yada yada yada ). On the insurance provider section, just enter your insurance provider and policy number. Select your tax term. 3/6/12mths. Pay the money. That should do it.

Then send that book to shannon with your details on it :)

You forgot the vaseline! :D

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Maybe the government will surprise us all for Christmas and drop the tax rates by half. Then you won't feel too smart for paying early!

2 hopes of that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cooldrim

How long does it take for the pin to come thru by email. Nearly 20 mins waiting at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cooldrim

Never mind. Just tried again and email recd straight away. Again, great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

just get a forged disc made up,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

snipey wrote: »

Can't see the ANPR or a radio check playing ball with your forged disc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Just paid up! Even if it doesn't go up until the first of the year I'm covered either way! Thanks OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Just renewed my dad's for him. Thanks for the bargain alert OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Just did the same for my Mam. Great post. And, this probably would have worked last year. Would have saved her over €60 if I'd known about it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Thanks OP - my current disc expires 31st December and didn't know you could get pin online. Don't care of I've only saved a fiver - it's better than nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks OP, just renewed as tax was due to expire end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Ditto...thanks op!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Thanks OP, Bike and wifes car done, Noonan can go and spin on it for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cheers, I had fecked my renewal in the to do heap so save the price hike and the arrears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Feck it, decided to just bite the bullet and lump €660 on to the credit card.

It's crazy......even with a ball-park guess at what the new rate will be, there is a significant saving!

The way I look at it, I would have ended up doing the next year in quarterly installments, which will probably be in or around €215 per 3 months (for a 2.0). That would have come to 'roughly' €860.

A saving of about €200!

Coke and hookers for me this xmas baby! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

snipey wrote: »

Wouldn't fancy explaining that to the magistrate!
    Got my tax disc taken once by the guards and passed under a uv light and all the numbers radioed in because they were convinced it was a fake they were very disapppointed.
    I have seen the odd toyota dyna/hiace/hilux with the disc for a honda 50 though which is surely better than getting caught with a forgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dodzy wrote: »
    Go to the tax office. Complete the form for tax renewal ( think its a RF100A ). They'll have them in the tax office. Fill out the details as per the current Reg Cert. ( i.e Previous owners name, address, yada yada yada ). On the insurance provider section, just enter your insurance provider and policy number. Select your tax term. 3/6/12mths. Pay the money. That should do it.

Then send that book to shannon with your details on it :)
    The only fault in your logic (apart from advising forging the previous owner's signature on the form) is how to cover the untaxed months in question. The motor tax person will ask for either (i) payment of arrears or (ii) signed, witnessed and stamped by Garda statement (on the same form) that the veh-ic-le was 'off the road' (or whatever the technical/legal jargon is) for the month(s) in question.

*realises that this is not the Motors forum...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

Esel wrote: »
    The only fault in your logic (apart from advising forging the previous owner's signature on the form) is how to cover the untaxed months in question. The motor tax person will ask for either (i) payment of arrears or (ii) signed, witnessed and stamped by Garda statement (on the same form) that the veh-ic-le was 'off the road' (or whatever the technical/legal jargon is) for the month(s) in question.

*realises that this is not the Motors forum...

You are assuming that there are arrears due. Maybe the tax expired end nov 2012? If that's the case, the only other outstanding issue in your book is actually writing the previous owners sig on the application form. Not exactly a crime punishable by death now, is it?

If arrears are due, well then that changes everything of course, as the small saving would most likely be dwarfed by arrears owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Just to update, I was able to renew (until 31/12/13) today for €330 (Band C), saving up to almost €50 if the mooted 15% increase comes through. My PIN wasn't the last 6 digits of the chassis (this is probably only for new cars, it did work in January when I taxed it for the first time) but I was able to retrieve it in 30 seconds via email.

Fair play OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Thanks OP, my tax is due in January but I was able to retrieve my PIN and pay using my CC, probably saved myself €40 if it goes up as expected later on.

The interest accruing up until payday at the end of January (when I will probably be able to justify paying it off my credit card :D) certainly won't add up to that amount.

As far as I remember, I tried doing this last year as well (before the budget increase took effect) but the system wouldn't let me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Mine is till end of January so i cant retrieve my Pin. Oh well. I wonder can i pay in Tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Thanks OP, tax was out at end of this year and I successfully renewed a 6 months tax just there for the current price :) *thumbs up*

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Hi my tax is due at end of january 31st, I pay every 3 months

if I pay in full now (185) when does it expaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Hi my tax is due at end of january 31st, I pay every 3 months

if I pay in full now (185) when does it expaire?

I don't think you'll be able to pay until 1st of January at a minumum. People who's tax is up on the 31st of December are only ones allowed pay by requesting PIN.

I tried to do it online but said can't do it, will have to wait for a pin to be sent out probably in january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Fizman wrote: »
    Feck it, decided to just bite the bullet and lump €660 on to the credit card.

It's crazy......even with a ball-park guess at what the new rate will be, there is a significant saving!

The way I look at it, I would have ended up doing the next year in quarterly installments, which will probably be in or around €215 per 3 months (for a 2.0). That would have come to 'roughly' €860.

A saving of about €200!

Coke and hookers for me this xmas baby! :p

You will just end up paying extra on the credit card, unless you quickly clear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I don't think you'll be able to pay until 1st of January at a minumum. People who's tax is up on the 31st of December are only ones allowed pay by requesting PIN.

Not so, if your tax expires in January 2013 you can also renew now - I just did.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Not so, if your tax expires in January 2013 you can also renew now - I just did.

My tax is up end of January but when I tried to pay online using my pin it said I will get a pin renew in the month my tax expires (January) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You will just end up paying extra on the credit card, unless you quickly clear it.

Oh it'll be cleared pretty soon, but even so......the interest would want to be building for a period of time to come anywhere close to what the projected difference is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

gizmo555 wrote: »

Have you actually successfully tried this? Would people who's tax is up at the end of Feb also by able to tax in advance?

Advertisement