Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

doing wrote: »
    Not only have they lazily copied this huge viral hit, they do this one joke in every single episode. That is very lazy.

Barry Murphy already did this with Soup Norman five years ago, long before that Ron Paul video. He took a Polish soap Opera and overdubbed it in that nonsensical way. It's probably not his idea originally but it certainly didn't start a year ago with the video you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Barry Murphy already did this with Soup Norman five years ago, long before that Ron Paul video. He took a Polish soap Opera and overdubbed it in that nonsensical way. It's probably not his idea originally but it certainly didn't start a year ago with the video you posted.

The words don't match with their mouths. That was the clever thing about the other sketch, if you match words up perfectly the result is gibberish and if you have a skilled impersonater it looks like they're really saying it.

That's just one thing though, I just think the same jokes every week when there are only 4 episodes is a bit lazy. It isn't like Apres Match can't think of lots of funny sketches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I think the serious and angry tone in some of the sketches is what makes the show. For example, the Angelus bells from this weeks, each knell marked with a scathing satirical factoid on govt. overspending etc. By trying to juxtapose these serious topics with a lightened mood and medium (the children's sketches, Exposé etc) it loses the edge. Personally I'd rather they have their audience gritting their teeth and scowling at the material than sniggering at silly whimsy wackiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I think the serious and angry tone in some of the sketches is what makes the show. For example, the Angelus bells from this weeks, each knell marked with a scathing satirical factoid on govt. overspending etc. By trying to juxtapose these serious topics with a lightened mood and medium (the children's sketches, Exposé etc) it loses the edge. Personally I'd rather they have their audience gritting their teeth and scowling at the material than sniggering at silly whimsy wackiness.

Did you miss the way they said "the Angelas" (as in Angela Merkel) ?

They had a few good sketches this week like the Phonewatch-based one but I think the schoolkids "doing drama" with verbatim scripts from the Dail records doesn't quite come off - perhaps if they had a group of normal actors sitting around a table doing a "first read-through" of the script, it might work better.
    There is a reason they advise never to work with children or animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Enjoyable again.The GAA rugby man and the Garda/nurse sketch at the end were particularly good.Nice to see Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly popping up too.

Schoolkids doing Fair City seemed pointless.

Thought they could have got more mileage out of the 100 FF'r list thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Sinn fein are getting away very light, they rarely get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

jjf1974 wrote: »
    Sinn fein are getting away very light, they rarely get a mention.

I agree that Sinn Fein doesn't get much attention, although there was a dig at Gerry Adams, this week, when he was depicted as saying that the height of Fianna Fail-ness is "refusing to accept that you've got any links to Fianna Fail".

But the show is utterly anti-establishment, and I think it would blunt its focus if it mocked anti-establishment politics, as well.

I thought today's show was very good, and much better than last week's. Once again, despite brilliant performances by Eleanor Tiernan and Gary Cooke, it's obvious that the star of the show is Barry Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I am watching the midday show on Tv3 now .The way it was portrayed on Irish pictorial weekly last night is very accurate.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I want Dominic the country and western singers albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

jjf1974 wrote: »
    I am watching the midday show on Tv3 now .The way it was portrayed on Irish pictorial weekly last night is very accurate.:)

Cackling hens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I want Dominic the country and western singers albums.
    "i love you unborn baba!
    ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

''I never thought that I'd see the day when a black lad is playing GAA,what is the country coming to at all?''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Elenor Tiernan's delivery of the Court Reports is priceless. Her deadpan persona suits them perfectly.

NB, "Deadpan" is an art, witness Buster Keaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Midday p!ss-take was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thought the sketch of Michael Noonan was quality as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

In a word "weak".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

This show has the odd very entertaining sketch from time to time and when the sketch is good - it can be quite funny. However; unfortunately there also seems to be some very poorly scripted material which can just go on and on... and it turns me right off the whole show as it is hit and miss and in this day and age people have a remote control and lots of channels and other distractions for entertainment. Barry Murphy seems too good and is probably better doing ad lib as he is a naturally funny stand-up - Barry was great as usual promoting this show on The Late Late Show recently. Pity that the show is so patchy in terms of overall quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

looking forward to series three on saturday. the mammy seems to think that they won't do any irish water related sketches, seen as it's on RTE, but I don't think they have shied away from any topics so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

hdowney wrote: »
    looking forward to series three on saturday. the mammy seems to think that they won't do any irish water related sketches, seen as it's on RTE, but I don't think they have shied away from any topics so far.

Series 3 started last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Yeah, I caught a bit of the episode from the new series the other night but the show got on my nerves as it went from being funny to long winded and boring within a few minutes. Pity it is so uneven as I felt similar watching an episode from the last series as well. Shame that it is still not consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

AnonoBoy wrote: »

is saturday nights a repeat then? i never noticed. bugger. i'll stick it in for sunday too so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I thought the sketch with all the various Gardaí executives sitting around a table was hilarious.

Sometimes, they just miss the mark though and sometimes it's hard to know who or what is actually being parodied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Glebee

I liked it. Not enough political satire on Irish TV..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

hdowney wrote: »
    is saturday nights a repeat then? i never noticed. bugger. i'll stick it in for sunday too so

Must be. It's on RTE 1 at 9.30 on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hit and miss start, but still great to have it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Denis O' Brien sketch was a masterpiece

Love that bosco theme music with the roll of shame figures

more weak spots than the last series

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The guards with the cctv camera was ridiculous and they should also lose the senior civil servant sketch. The senior garda sketch was ok but it just got repetitive and predictable as it went on

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Finally caught up with it on RTE Player. Very sorry to have to say this but I found it very weak, slow moving and just dull.
    In contrast, Savage Eye was quite funny, in parts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It was a bit hit & miss but it's still good to have it back. I liked the Dominic Walsh song about his "bed in the shed". The David Drumm "A Wife" sketch was both funny & infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

As above, some very strong sketches with a lot of weak stuff done to death (the Gardai with the camera bit was barely funny the first time...) but the satirical stuff really hits home when it hits, it's important to have this show on Irish TV and long may it continue.

Advertisement