Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black economy/ fake goods/ dole cheats & reporting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

Its takes a special breed to pick up the phone and rat & squeal on their fellow citizens:D

Well us irish have always been well known for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's going to be a budget next week. In it there's likely to be lots of cuts to lots of services. Healthcare, education, disability and carers allowances, old age pensions, basically everything is going to be cut to some degree or other. There's also going to be extra taxes and charges for the rest of us.

When this happens keep in mind that a lot of it is because of welfare cheats that most of you seem to think that we shouldn't "rat" on.

Every euro they scam from the welfare is a euro that comes from some other service or comes out of some other tax payers pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jasonmcco wrote: »
    Well us irish have always been well known for it.

I take it that is sarcastic because we don't have that much of a history of it at all, very few whistleblowers in Irish society in general.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I threw up in me mouth a bit there . Thats how your post made me feel ray .
    LOL
    You have no idea how funny I find that. I reported a bank for over charging its customers to the financial regulator.

A plumber who had 2 guys working for him and claiming the dole. He also was trying to over charge my mother for plumbing work. So no pity from me.
    What circumstances led this woman to being on the dole ? How did the legit company get the money to set up a legit business .
    Take a plumbing business for example .
    A legit plumber takes on an apprentice . Pays him little for four to six years until hes qualified . Then lets him go .
    He goes on the labour there lads like him everywhere . He gets an offer of a job where he gets paid 200 a week and told he can get his dole . He has to collect dole or dole will not pay him when yer man fires him situations havnt changed .
    If he doesnt take the job some other plumber off the dole que will and some other fellas kids will have a nice christmas .
    The fellas only qualified he cant afford a van , ads in the yellow pages , gas courses insurance etc . He can only get the odd nixer off family where hes more doing them a favour than himself .
    You spent your time ratting out these poor unfortunates annonymously like a cowardly curtain twitcher .

Hopefully everyone gets karma.
    According to you once somebody screws you it is ok to screw somebody else. It doesn't matter who.
    So your plumber mate looking out for himself makes me sick as he risks legit plumber.
    Doubt you understand karma as it require reincarnation ;)
    Nothing cowardly about risking your job to report your employer or to do the right thing regardless of others opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

stevenmu wrote: »
    There's going to be a budget next week. In it there's likely to be lots of cuts to lots of services. Healthcare, education, disability and carers allowances, old age pensions, basically everything is going to be cut to some degree or other. There's also going to be extra taxes and charges for the rest of us.

When this happens keep in mind that a lot of it is because of welfare cheats that most of you seem to think that we shouldn't "rat" on.

Every euro they scam from the welfare is a euro that comes from some other service or comes out of some other tax payers pocket.
    Again this takes us back to divide and conquer . The government screw everyone . And they have you blame the pittance some unfortunate is trying to feed his family with .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

stevenmu wrote: »

Your reading of the situation the Irish economy finds itself in is completely at odds with what's actually happening.
    Even if people are doing a bit on the side, that money most lightly gets put directly back into the economy.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    LOL
    You have no idea how funny I find that. I reported a bank for over charging its customers to the financial regulator.

A plumber who had 2 guys working for him and claiming the dole. He also was trying to over charge my mother for plumbing work. So no pity from me.

According to you once somebody screws you it is ok to screw somebody else. It doesn't matter who.
    So your plumber mate looking out for himself makes me sick as he risks legit plumber.
    Doubt you understand karma as it require reincarnation ;)
    Nothing cowardly about risking your job to report your employer or to do the right thing regardless of others opinion.
    You should try life on the dole for a whilr ray .

Again this takes us back to divide and conquer . The government screw everyone . And they have you blame the pittance some unfortunate is trying to feed his family with .
    Divide and conquer is just in your head. Got any proof. Unless you are talking about dividing those who pay taxes versus scammers. Yes the government does what to isolate them as unacceptable

Divide and conquer is just in your head. Got any proof. Unless you are talking about dividing those who pay taxes versus scammers. Yes the government does what to isolate them as unacceptable

Who in this country doesn't pay taxes?

K-9 wrote: »
    I take it that is sarcastic because we don't have that much of a history of it at all, very few whistleblowers in Irish society in general.

Think your wrong this island is full of informers. It's one of our greatest shameful truths.

We would have no shortage of whistleblowers if we treated them properly and didn't destroy them for telling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

loggedoff wrote: »
    Who in this country doesn't pay taxes?

Dunno 'bout back home but here; Starbucks. Google. Amazon.

Allegedly, of course. Or they do the old avoidance thing, rather than evasion, I should say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

I did up a house I rent recently. New extension.

Not one contractor builder, painter, plumber or electrician would work for non other than cash in hand.

I said fair enough but got them to drop the price as they were claiming dole. The way I see it we both gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

People get money from the government for rating others out, thats a lot to do with it

You should try life on the dole for a whilr ray .
    Read back and you will see I have.
    I also worked for sw.
    Have my own company.

So maybe I know more about it from all sides and you don't.

You know what happens every January?
    People get emergency payment for their electricity bills. The reason, to pay for all the Christmas lights on their houses.

I noticed you can't actually respond to the comments made. Try actually getting a rounded view.

Read back and you will see I have.
    I also worked for sw.
    Have my own company.

So maybe I know more about it from all sides and you don't.

You know what happens every January?
    People get emergency payment for their electricity bills. The reason, to pay for all the Christmas lights on their houses.

I noticed you can't actually respond to the comments made. Try actually getting a rounded view.

Ban Christmas lights for people on the dole so.:rolleyes:
    Wouldn't have anything to do with it being the darkest and coldest time of year by any chance?
    Sometimes I dispair.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Gerry T

RAT leaves a picture of a horrible person, but think about it. We pay tax and the govt takes all the money and spends some on hospitals, building roads, paying the dole etc. When people don't pay tax on what they earn the money they collect is less so the money they can pay out is less. So the hospitals are not as good as they could be, the dole is not enough for those that really need it. So the govt has to increase tax, thats what is going to happen next month. SO you will have less money in your take home pay. Thats it, the tax dodgers, even the small ones are basically dipping their hands ito your pocket and helping theyselves to your money. SO don't say it doesn't hurt you, it does - your just not bright enough to realise it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

twinQuins wrote: »

You were saying?

And sure, if people are living hand to mouth that's one thing but that just means the system needs to be changed.
    But lets take a more pertinent example - let's say your neighbours aren't that poor, let's say they're actively scamming the system, milking it for everything they can.

Would you then 'tell tales' on them? I mean if we're going to go to extremes here then by all means, respond to my own.

The corruption in this country is rife. The difference between a high roller and someone on the dole is legality. The High Roller, mangles, bends, twists and strains the law for gains that on paper are wholly morally repugnant. All within the law. So it's easier to hit a poor person on welfare trying to survive?

Whether it's a politician, civil servant or businessman who is wholly corrupt. The dog in the street knows they're bent, but untouchable. That's the fiddling we need to worry about, not chasing people who are just trying to survive.

SD

Gerry T wrote: »
    RAT leaves a picture of a horrible person, but think about it. We pay tax and the govt takes all the money and spends some on hospitals, building roads, paying the dole etc. When people don't pay tax on what they earn the money they collect is less so the money they can pay out is less. So the hospitals are not as good as they could be, the dole is not enough for those that really need it. So the govt has to increase tax, thats what is going to happen next month. SO you will have less money in your take home pay. Thats it, the tax dodgers, even the small ones are basically dipping their hands ito your pocket and helping theyselves to your money. SO don't say it doesn't hurt you, it does - your just not bright enough to realise it

Compared to what the banks, developers and politicians have cost us and our kids into the future, it's small change.

People get money from the government for rating others out, thats a lot to do with it
    No it isn't they rarely pay anybody most is anonymous and mostly a friend, family or ex I've read the letters and heard the calls. Quite funny no honour among thieves

Wouldn't have anything to do with it being the darkest and coldest time of year by any chance?
    Sometimes I dispair.....
    Seriously we aren't talking about a reasonable amount. Really noticeable houses with over the top lighting. Think of the brightest house on the street with way too many lights and gas heating.

• Advertisement

Any fool who is convinced that paying your taxes, so government can then give that money to bond hoders, is the right thing to do is a classic gob ****e of the type you easily find in ireland.

We need to use black economy as a show of defiance to govt.

The type of people i normally hear talking about us all pitching in for the greater good are the people who are not that badly affected by recession.

Love hearing well paid journalists talk about how we need to be more positive, its classic.

Seriously we aren't talking about a reasonable amount. Really noticeable houses with over the top lighting. Think of the brightest house on the street with way too many lights and gas heating.

Sure they've all bought LED's now, much cheaper to run and a great boost for woodies and the like. It's a win win result:D

Sometimes I dispair.....

By answering that guy you actually validate his existence and i don't think you should lol:D

StudentDad wrote: »

The corruption in this country is rife. The difference between a high roller and someone on the dole is legality. The High Roller, mangles, bends, twists and strains the law for gains that on paper are wholly morally repugnant. All within the law. So it's easier to hit a poor person on welfare trying to survive?

Whether it's a politician, civil servant or businessman who is wholly corrupt. The dog in the street knows they're bent, but untouchable. That's the fiddling we need to worry about, not chasing people who are just trying to survive.

SD
    So the answer is no. Wonder how you could stop that? I mean say if we make those around us accountable. Might not be instant effect but if people grow up knowing it is not acceptable. Going around calling people rats is more likely to stop people from stopping the higher ups and peers.

RAT leaves a picture of a horrible person, but think about it. We pay tax and the govt takes all the money and spends some on hospitals, building roads, paying the dole etc. When people don't pay tax on what they earn the money they collect is less so the money they can pay out is less. So the hospitals are not as good as they could be, the dole is not enough for those that really need it. So the govt has to increase tax, thats what is going to happen next month. SO you will have less money in your take home pay. Thats it, the tax dodgers, even the small ones are basically dipping their hands ito your pocket and helping theyselves to your money. SO don't say it doesn't hurt you, it does - your just not bright enough to realise it.

think you've been blinded by the bright lights on a bmw as it runs over a homeless person,but hey your so right he shouldn't have been crossing a road he didn't help pay for.

Compared to what the banks, developers and politicians have cost us and our kids into the future, it's small change.
    Your right what the Banks and developers did was wrong and I would be the first to say that the top guys should be locked up for what they did. But you can't justify one wrong by quoting something worse. Thats like saying Joe O'Reilly only killed his wife but hitler killed 11 million so Joe shouldn't be punished ! What one person cheats from the system is small change, if everyone was at it your talking tens of millions.

jasonmcco wrote: »
    think you've been blinded by the bright lights on a bmw as it runs over a homeless person,but hey your so right he shouldn't have been crossing a road he didn't help pay for.
    Your missing the point, if the dodgers paid their fair share then the homeless person, the one that needs the money might get more. I'm far from rich but have friends that have plenty of money, they pay ten times more in tax than I do, without what they give there wouldn't be a road to drive on. I don't begrudge them there house, cars or holidays. They earned it. If you earn a tiny amount then the tax you pay is a percentage so that is also tiny - it should be paid.

gerry im sure these friends of yours use loopholes to bend the system way more than the woman making 30 quid from cakes .
    Did you ever go over their accounts with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Your missing the point, if the dodgers paid their fair share then the homeless person, the one that needs the money might get more. I'm far from rich but have friends that have plenty of money, they pay ten times more in tax than I do, without what they give there wouldn't be a road to drive on. I don't begrudge them there house, cars or holidays. They earned it. If you earn a tiny amount then the tax you pay is a percentage so that is also tiny - it should be paid.

I just pulled up at the petrol pump this evening and payed 43% tax to the government this evening. Most guys I know do nixers on the side every now and again and what not just to pay the bills, most of which comprise of a signifcant amount of tax

• Advertisement

gerry im sure these friends of yours use loopholes to bend the system way more than the woman making 30 quid from cakes .
    Did you ever go over their accounts with them ?
    I'm sure they do, the old tax avoidance versus tax evasion debate. But they play by the rules, I think :) . If people don't like the tax loop holes then they can be closed, some like the business expansion schemes or the Film Industry schemes were setup so people could invest pre tax money and in return this money created jobs. Alot of the "loop holes" have a reason behind them. But seriously I don't think you would pay tax on a couple of cakes or mending someone's washing machine, tahts not the core of this topic I think. Its the people working a full time job and collecting the "dole" thats the problem. Or people claiming single mother allowances/rents etc when they live with their partner. Thats wrong. So to is a Judge swindling an old man or a solicitor or dentist not declaring income for tax, they all take money out of our pockets

Advertisement