Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Anyone remember James Harrison? left Methody last year after winning man of the match in the ulster schools final. Heard from a reliable source that he's heading to Biarritz this summer to take up a spot in their academy. Seeing as he's a tighthead prop its a shame to see talent leaving our shores

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

lurtz wrote: »
    Anyone remember James Harrison? left Methody last year after winning man of the match in the ulster schools final. Heard from a reliable source that he's heading to Biarritz this summer to take up a spot in their academy. Seeing as he's a tighthead prop its a shame to see talent leaving our shores

Interesting move, wonder why he isn't going with Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Belfast v Barritz I know where I would go if I was a Young lad for a couple of years and learn my trade! But yeah would make you wonder if he is that good why Ulster didn't Sign him, but as budgets get stretched and more good players coming out of school want to play pro rugby provinces won't be able or affor to accomadate them all

his Grandfather played tighthead for France in the 50s I think, so he's french qualified and wants to represent them

his Grandfather played tighthead for France in the 50s I think, so he's french qualified and wants to represent them

well thats certainly a disappointment. good luck to the kid anyway.

• Advertisement

Id imagine he's getting a fat enough wad of cash as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Id imagine he's getting a fat enough wad of cash as well

I remember him well, he scored a fantastic prop try in the schools final, slithering over from 30 metres. Sad to see him going, but congrats to the kid. He'll be sunning himself no doubt for the summer, while we have to endure the typical Irish winter :pac:

considering he was on the bench for ulster's under 20s in the interpro's maybe he isn't as highly rated up north. Either way good luck to the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

its_phil wrote: »
    Rumour going around Connacht Clan site is Parata is not a done deal for Munster and Carolan will talk to him this week

not a rumour, thats word from his dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

considering he was on the bench for ulster's under 20s in the interpro's maybe he isn't as highly rated up north. Either way good luck to the kid.

I heard that was due to a falling out with the coaches. He went down to Dublin to suss out his accomodation for college or something like that and missed a load of trainings and got dropped. His older brother played Irish Schools afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

CGD wrote: »
    Half right, not going to say anything else!

Speak god damn you!

swiftman wrote: »
    not a rumour, thats word from his dad

so he is definetly in munster?

CGD wrote: »
    Half right, not going to say anything else!

Ive heard movements contrary to both those rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

so he is definetly in munster?

its a weird one, his dad is not talking like his dad but more a close family friend etc, doesnt give a clear answer.

"What I understand Nigel Carolan is going to be talking to his family soon. I hear he really wants to stay with Connacht......."

"Heard Munster are fighting hard for him."

make what you want of that, but to me it sounds like the lad wants to stay with connacht BUT that maybe munster are giving him a good offer, maybe a pile of cash

swiftman wrote: »
    its a weird one, his dad is not talking like his dad but more a close family friend etc, doesnt give a clear answer.

"What I understand Nigel Carolan is going to be talking to his family soon. I hear he really wants to stay with Connacht......."

"Heard Munster are fighting hard for him."

make what you want of that, but to me it sounds like the lad wants to stay with connacht BUT that maybe munster are giving him a good offer, maybe a pile of cash

I heard that he wants to stay with connacht because munster turned their backs on him alright. Carolan is talking to a number of other players this week regarding places,surely means a spot is on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I heard that he wants to stay with connacht because munster turned their backs on him alright. Carolan is talking to a number of other players this week regarding places,surely means a spot is on the way

The fact Connacht won the 19s interprovincial last year (without Sean O'Brien who was captaining the 20s) is probably playing its part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The fact Connacht won the 19s interprovincial last year (without Sean O'Brien who was captaining the 20s) is probably playing its part.

A part in why he wants to join the academy? He wouldn't be playing with 90% of that team in pro rugby so I can't see how it would

Tox56 wrote: »
    A part in why he wants to join the academy? He wouldn't be playing with 90% of that team in pro rugby so I can't see how it would

Phil is right. the fact that he wants to stick with a winning team and win the u20 championship would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Tox56 wrote: »

So what's your point? It would be the same at any other province.

Nigel Carolan is one of the best upcoming coaches in the country and he is held in very high regard by players at the academy and sub-academy. Connacht have a very good academy right now. I'm sure that has played on Parata's mind

Nigel Carolan is one of the best upcoming coaches in the country and he is held in very high regard by players at the academy and sub-academy. Connacht have a very good academy right now. I'm sure that has played on Parata's mind

yeah Carolan is a good coach, wouldn't fault Parata on his decision.

He grew up a Munster fan but Connacht offered him an opportunity Munster wouldn't.

Tough call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

My point was that the quality of a particular u19 or u20 team is unlikely to be a factor in his decision. I can understand that he could be impressed with the underage structures but I'd hope for his sake he isn't making a choice based on winning an U20 championship as lurtz suggested, and in fairness I doubt he is.

Former leinster u19 and kilkenny outhalf Pete Lydon rumoured to be going to stade francais from seapoint,not sure if its a trial or academy

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Former leinster u19 and kilkenny outhalf Pete Lydon rumoured to be going to stade francais from seapoint,not sure if its a trial or academy

How does this sort of thing happen? Surely stade francais don't have scouts all the way out here looking at lads from seapoint.. am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How does this sort of thing happen? Surely stade francais don't have scouts all the way out here looking at lads from seapoint.. am I missing something?

They come over and watch a few games. Happened to Scott LaValla as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

La Valla was an american international and was spotted there afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

amazing...irish "scouts" would hardly go to kerry to spot a player

the seapoint coach,Nigel Osbourne, has huge links in France,used to coach in grenoble. He had the stade kicking coach over and he did his benchmark kicking text with lydon and apparently loved him so offered him something

pretty sure tony smeeth had a hand in that
    backgreen wrote: »
    amazing...irish "scouts" would hardly go to kerry to spot a player

they do,its called the clubs or youths rep team

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

they do,its called the clubs or youths rep team[/QUOTE]
    there are not doing it very well then ,if a kicking coach can come over from france and spot ability...he won't be the last

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Well he played for Leinster U19 so they obviously know his limits better than you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Teferi wrote: »
    Well he played for Leinster U19 so they obviously know his limits better than you do.

Lydon didn't make the Leinster 20's, Played 21's with Lansdowne where he shared time with a 10 from Newbridge left Lansdowne to go to Seapoint and now off to Stade Academy which is not much of an academy by the way but it is the only one he is being offerd played AIL in division 2 or whatever Seapoint are in and hasn't got the rest of Ireland clammering for his signature. Good luck to the chap but don't be fooled into thinking this is as glamourous as it sounds. living in Paris in a club house with 4 or 5 others on very little money is not very appealling. I hope it works out for him

Advertisement