Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

As in sport in general, its all very cyclical.

Until recently the Leinster academy was known for producing talented backs. Now it is looking at a large number of forwards in the academy and some would say a shortage of talented backs.

Connacht's academy has possibly shown the most improvement in recent years and with underage success.

I would be a bit concerned, as a Leinsterman, where the next Denis Hickie or Shane Horgan is coming from.

That video about the Exiles was very interesting but difficult to see where they enter the underage provincial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Connacht has shown the most improvement in recent years and that is a fact. A great coach in Nigel Carolan and dare I say it, he has taken in more Exiles to look at through the programme that he runs in the Summer months and he can keep them and play them in the interpro's at U19's (which they won this year). He is using the Exile system better than anyone at present and good luck to him.

I have always felt a bit sorry for the Exiles. It is hard to fit into the underage provincial system. Their U18's only play two provinces every year (they won both last year). The English Clubs do not want them when they declare for us as they get nothing for them playing with Ireland. It's a tough way to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Huge number of exiles in the Under 20s squad compared to previous years so they seem pretty serious about it.

McGuigan, Furniss, Joyce, O'Meara, Panter & Harty.

The likes of Ruddock and Marmion joined Irish academies after their Under 20 involvement so it will be interesting to see whether McGuigan and Furniss, who are already involved with English sides, join Irish academies for next season. Panter will likely join to Connacht academy, Joyce is highly thought of in Ulster but I'm not sure about O'Meara or Harty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hype710 wrote: »
    Huge number of exiles in the Under 20s squad compared to previous years so they seem pretty serious about it.

McGuigan, Furniss, Joyce, O'Meara, Panter & Harty.

The likes of Ruddock and Marmion joined Irish academies after their Under 20 involvement so it will be interesting to see whether McGuigan and Furniss, who are already involved with English sides, join Irish academies for next season. Panter will likely join to Connacht academy, Joyce is highly thought of in Ulster but I'm not sure about O'Meara or Harty.

Is Joyce an exile? I know he first played for Ulster U20 back in 2011 and has been involved in the senior side so I assumed that he came through the ulster set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Is Joyce an exile? I know he first played for Ulster U20 back in 2011 and has been involved in the senior side so I assumed that he came through the ulster set up.
    Yeah. was irish youths in 2011. was in school in solihull and supossedly turned down leicester to join ulster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

If we start signing up every Irish exile from England, I wonder would that make English clubs less likely to offer academy places to Irish qualified players? It might start to feel like a waste of resources to them.

Don't see any grounds for worry. It's not a new risk - there's a fairly constant stream from England to Ireland, and also to Scotland, some to Wales, Matavesi to Fiji, Lahiff to Australia etc.etc. We're used to developing players for others ;) just have to accept it and it's not like everybody who could go does, the likes of Brookes and Geraghty spring to mind.

Of course, our clubs will try and persuade players to commit to England, largely to stop them swanning off - and if they want a go at an Ireland career, they pretty much have to - but there we go.

What I don't get is why you'd target us, and not say, New Zealand. I know we're closer and our academy program is pretty good, but it's a bit like stopping by the bar with an ok looking girl and ignoring the really hot one making eyes at you... not that I'm trying to persuade you to stop poaching our youngsters or ought... but seriously, poaching kiwis, it's great, get involved...

What I don't get is why you'd target us, and not say, New Zealand. I know we're closer and our academy program is pretty good, but it's a bit like stopping by the bar with an ok looking girl and ignoring the really hot one making eyes at you... not that I'm trying to persuade you to stop poaching our youngsters or ought... but seriously, poaching kiwis, it's great, get involved...

With the very odd exception we only poach the kids or grandkids of Irish people.

We very rarely poach someone just because. Anyway a lot Irish end up in Britain so we poach their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

With the very odd exception we only poach the kids or grandkids of Irish people.

We very rarely poach someone just because. Anyway a lot Irish end up in Britain so we poach their kids.

I know - suggested New Zealand as I thought there had been a lot of Irish immigrants there.

I know - suggested New Zealand as I thought there had been a lot of Irish immigrants there.

Well we have Bent and Boss but I haven't heard of many NZers that are IQ other than that. Declan O'Donnell could have played for us but he has already played 7s for NZ.

A lot more English

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Declans younger brother Kylem O'Donnell,Brendan O'Connor,Mike Fitzgerald..the list in NZ goes on and on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Heard a rumor that Leinster will have two props joining the academy next season, haven't heard names but Dooley as one makes sense.

The other one i'm not so sure about, maybe McKeever?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Heard a rumor that Leinster will have two props joining the academy next season, haven't heard names but Dooley as one makes sense.

The other one i'm not so sure about, maybe McKeever?
    If true Dooley would be nailed on and the other would be between Hefeernan & McKeever I would say. McKeever might loose out as on past form they may want to prove himself for a year. A long shot might be Ross Deacon who is being experimented with as a tight head not sure how that is going though

it could well be Ross Deacon

academy spots are being finalised and submitted to the irfu by wednesday coming i hear

lurtz wrote: »
    academy spots are being finalised and submitted to the irfu by wednesday coming i hear
    so if rumours are true
    Munster: Rory Parata, Greg o Shea
    Leinster:
    Connacht: Sean O Brien
    Ulster:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ormond lad wrote: »
    so if rumours are true
    Leinster:
    Ulster:

Rumour going around Connacht Clan site is Parata is not a done deal for Munster and Carolan will talk to him this week

so if rumours are true
    Leinster: Tom Daly, Adam Byrne, Billy Dardis, Steve Crosbie, Peter Dooley.
    Ulster:

Wouldn't be surprised if a few more spots are filled post JWC and of course a few surprises.

Jacob,James Connolly and Saba in Connacht

Connacht could be looking outside the province for some backs,watch this space

Wouldn't be surprised if a few more spots are filled post JWC and of course a few surprises.
    Of course. that goes without saying. always does happena and there is nearly always somebody who many dont expect named in 1 of the academies
    its_phil wrote: »
    Rumour going around Connacht Clan site is Parata is not a done deal for Munster and Carolan will talk to him this week
    will be interesting to see where he goes. He'll def have an academy contract by the looks of things. Only time will tell whether he is in red or green next season

• Advertisement

Is Rory Scannell an academy member? because if not you would assume he will be.

Munster sub. Id imagine he'll be going in alright

He's not(in sub academy i think) but he prob will be. had kind of forgotten about him

Sean McCarthy probably an option in Munster aswell, maybe Brian Scott or Niall Horan?

wouldn't know the prospects in Ulster to well, maybe Josh Fullerton or Donnan. Ben Alexander maybe too.

Big lock up there thats highly though of aswell, Russell Blair. Missed most the season with a broken leg though.

Probably some exiles going to be picked up. Panter? O'Meara?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

so if rumours are true
    Leinster:
    Ulster:

Leinster apparently it's gonna be Crosbie, Dooley and Dardis

He's not(in sub academy i think) but he prob will be. had kind of forgotten about him

he is in the sub academy. After his performances in the 6 nations he looks a lock
    Sean McCarthy probably an option in Munster aswell, maybe Brian Scott or Niall Horan?

wouldn't know the prospects in Ulster to well, maybe Josh Fullerton or Donnan. Ben Alexander maybe too.

Big lock up there thats highly though of aswell, Russell Blair. Missed most the season with a broken leg though.

Probably some exiles going to be picked up. Panter? O'Meara?

horan is in munster sub so might be promoted. Id say sean mccarthy will also be. Dont know much about ulster either but alexander looked very good in the 19s against england

Leinster apparently it's gonna be Crosbie, Dooley and Dardis
    2 more backs on that list one straight out of school and another after a year in sub academy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CGD wrote: »
    2 more backs on that list one straight out of school and another after a year in sub academy

Guessing...

Tom Farrell and... One of the 10s?

Guessing...

Tom Farrell and... One of the 10s?

Half right, not going to say anything else!

• Advertisement

backs straight out of school?

Brewer, Byrne or McKeon?

a year in the sub suggests Daly imo.

Hearing mixed messages on Tom Daly. Think we are being too picky if we don't take him in.

Advertisement