Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

blockic wrote: »
    Thanks P, great win for the club in the Intermediate XC at the weekend. Great running by ye all. Ye have a solid crew there now with more on the way. Will improve the KCH rivalry no end!

Cheers J! We're the plucky underdogs!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought the general advice was not to foam roll the IT Band and to instead hit the TFL?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

adrian522 wrote: »
    I thought the general advice was not to foam roll the IT Band and to instead hit the TFL?

No idea Adrian, there is lots of contradicting advise out there. foam rolling both areas seems to be doing the trick for me so I'll stick with it! Maybe ecoli is the man to ask here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

adrian522 wrote: »
    hit the TFL?

Is that TbL's brother........

Monday
    5 miles easy / 7:54 average pace

Outside off limits again due to the cold, and to double my frustrations I came down with a head cold! On the dreadmill for this one. :mad:

Tuesday
    8 miles easy / 7:51 average pace

The weather provided a small gap in cold temps with an improvement to -6c which allowed me to sneak out on Tuesday for an outdoors run. Ran across the Oz Park and then all the way up the diagonal Lincoln Ave. before running back down Damen which nicely turned into a Right Angle Triangle on the map. Nice to be outside again and the groin was nigglely for the last 2 miles or so.

I ultimately then had to make a call on what to do with the session on Wednesday. The plan was for 2 x 15m T, I also considered easing in off a notch and doing some MP miles, or just continue with the easy running as it was still too risky until the groin is back in a good enough state.

The decision was a frustrating but simple one in the end.

Wednesday
    7 miles easy / 7:53 average pace

Went with the easy running in the end, while the lack of quality is eating away at my brain. Had intended on doing this outside all day as the temps were manageable but at 4pm heavens opened with unexpected snow making the footpaths off limits for running as soon 2 inches were on the ground. Grumpy head on me then as I had to go for the treadmill once more.

Thursday
    8 miles easy / 7:48 average pace

Yet AGAIN more treadmill again due to “lake effect snow” in the city all day, it’s very unpredictable and you don’t know what you are gonna get. It’s not being made easy that’s for sure to train for Boston here! Longest Ive been on a treadmill, I’m starting to slowly adapt to it I hate to admit it! :eek:

I have started recently to do a few core exercises a couple of times a week and am foam rolling before and after runs and it seems to be working. Yesterday’s run was the best in a while in terms of the injury so hoping that what I’m seeing is the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

That’s 10 days running in a row, good consistency but zero focused stimulus work. Taking the day off today and going to give the long run a go in the morning and see how we go.

• Advertisement

Saturday
    18.5 miles LSR / 7:19 average pace

Was up at 6am Saturday which was a big day in the plan to Boston, If I got through today some form of a target could still be set at Boston, if my leg is still in trouble it was time to start thinking of the possibility of just running it for fun.

First time heading for the famous Barrington Hills about an hour north west of downtown Chicago. Everyone running Boston pretty much hits these hills in training to train for the undulation in Boston. Got a lift out to the meeting point which was a massive high school, almost the size of a college back home, very impressive and one instantly knew that there was money around this city ;)

It was baltic out (-19c) and everyone was very well layered up, no exposed skin here or risk frostbite! Thankfully there was no wind which it the big game changer. If there was wind chill on top I don’t think it would have been runnable. :eek:

We kicked off at 8:10am and headed out for the countryside, I wanted to keep it handy as the target was just to try get through the miles regardless of pace. The foam rolling seemed to be doing the trick as the groin did not give much problems but the left Achilles was shouting slightly due to not being used to the undulation, a good thing I guess to get the legs used to it.
    The route brought us through horse country and all the houses were absolutely massive! There was what looks like a white house replica at one point, all the Chicago big shows must stay around here!

340793.jpg

The roads were all but deserted from traffic which was nice and no traffic lights to worry about either. The hills were perfect for Boston, they looked ideal with many inclines and declines being bigger that what I thought they were going to be. A good surprise! :)

340794.jpg

What is good about being part of the Boston group is that they have set up water and Gatorade stops along the route which is great to have. However arriving at a water stop usually meant having to crush the paper cups of water as the water was frozen solid in the cup!

It was an out and back route so after 9 I turned around, the group were running the last 6 at MP (I had planned to also), but I was just happy to get the miles in today and get back to a base where I can kick on from.

Delighted to finish up with 18.5 and it felt comfortable throughout, groin was not much of an issue but it comes and goes on occasion particularly the day after runs so I just have to continue to manage it carefully day-by-day.

Somewhat back in the game! :)

Sunday
    6.5 miles recovery / 8:45 average pace

Had a heavy day of drinking on the Saturday as my cousin was visiting so only got out in the afternoon on Sunday for a very slow recovery run. Legs were tired from Saturday but I intended to go really slow anyway to keep the energy for the big days (long runs/ sessions).

Delighted to get 53 miles for the week, while all easy runs it was my biggest week since (I just looked this up and was shocked!) September 2013!! :eek:
    Hoping to get some more miles added on now this week, and all going well hopefully even some MP miles.

Week Mileage Summary
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    5m|8m|7m|8m|Rest|18.5m|6.5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    53m|6.5m|303.9m

Month|Runs|2013|Runs|2014|Runs|2015
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39|22/31|169.6
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2|20/28|127.8
    March|24/31|216.1|7/31|25.3||
    April|17/30|120.2|12/30|48.5||
    May|20/31|151.8|17/31|97.2||
    June|18/30|149.7|19/30|107.1||
    July|26/31|220.4|22/31|157.3||
    August|27/31|250.5|21/31|169.7||
    September|24/31|197.3|19/31| 163.5||
    October|18/31|135.4|14/31|92.9||
    November|10/30|67.5|16/30|103.7||
    December|1/31|4|22/31|145.6||

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Guess who's back!!! Game back on - just don't overdo it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good stuff

TbL

Monday
    10 miles easy / 7:49 average pace

Hard to believe i'm almost halfway though the plan and not much to show for it! We were blessed with milder weather here this week so took advantage of the opportunity on Monday and went out for a longish easy run. Ran to Lake Michigan and then went north for a couple of miles on the inner path in Lincoln Park before returning south on the outer path.

Legs a little tired from the weekend on this one. Left TFL very tight at the moment so trying to loosen it out with plenty foam rolling. When is not my right IT band and groin something else is wrong.

Groin a little tender on this one.

Tuesday
    7 miles very easy / 8:23 average pace

The plan for this was 7 miles at easy pace but soon after I started I knew the body was not up for it, the plan soon changed throughout the run as follows:5 miles very easy / 5 miles recovery / 6 miles very easy before actually doing 7 miles very easy :rolleyes:

Legs very tired on this one and both groins were tight, I feel like i'm being held together with band-aids at the moment.

The plan for tonight was 8 miles at MP, but i feel like that once more, I would be playing with fire If I do it and I need to listen to the body...might switch my rest day from Friday to today.

The want for a quality session is killing me but the body seems not to be able for it.

My plan has always been to try hit 70 miles for this plan before taper..

I'm trying to decide now if just keeping at 55 miles a week with quality would be more beneficial that trying to hit mileage goals...going to have a think about it in the coming days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Maybe some strength work is required to allow the muscles and joints to take the recently-regained high mileage?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Maybe some strength work is required to allow the muscles and joints to take the recently-regained high mileage?

Yep, makes sense. I have being doing some, but definitely not enough. It's hard to do it while the groin is at me cause it is probably doing more harm than good.

Ideally what would happen is take a big step back in mileage, do low mileage but lots of flexibility and strength work for a few weeks and then ramp up again. But with Boston on the horizon...

How is your training these days? your blog log updates are few and far between :P

Thursday
    9 miles session / 2 x 2m @MP

The initial plan for this was 8PMP but I knew that would be a little too intense at this point, so went with a half arsed session in the end. But at least I finally got in some form of a workout! Both my achilles were stinging after the first rep so I stopped and stretched them out for a couple of minutes. Partly due to some of the two miles being forced onto snow causing them to work more. Said I’d see how the second rep went and stop after a mile if I needed to. Thankfully they were OK for the second one.

2 miles easy
    2 miles @ MP (6:27, 6:32)
    0.5 mile easy
    2 miles @MP (6:33, 6:29)
    2.5 miles easy

Friday
    4 miles recovery / 8:37 average pace

Legs were hanging off me for this one and the pace was about as fast as I could muster. I was wary to keep it very slow anyway as all roads led to the long run the following morning. The adductors were still tight and I did have reservations on getting through the whole long run the following morning. Managed to run two errands as well during this so it was a successful outing.

Saturday
    20 miles LSR / 7:21 average pace

Back out to Barrington for my long run last Saturday and literally like the flick of a switch, winter departed and spring arrived! Temperatures rose 15c from Thursday so it was a glorious 5c heading out for this with the sun shining! The higher temperatures meant this was what locals call “the week” where all the snow melts and the city looks completely different again. The roads were full of water puddles from melted snow but the temperature was savage.

This was the same out and back route as last week but just extended at the end for a little extra mileage. I concentrated on having a steady effort on the up hills and I felt strong on them, I then put a few bursts on the downhills to give the quads a bit of and intentional pounding.

I managed to run with a few people at different stages of the run which broke it up a bit but at the 15 mile point I broke the group a bit so I was solo for the remainder but I heard the group behind me all the way in. It was like the solo leader in a stage of the Tour de France with the peloton about 20 seconds behind trying to reel me in, I successfully made the end without being caught! :cool: Those last 5 miles were tough, there was a walk even thought about at one point, but then I got into the mind set of thinking that this is exactly what I want to be feeling, wrecked and tired with 5 miles to go, perfect preparation for race day. Legs were aching and the adductors were tight, can’t seem to shake it! But if I can run 20 all is not that bad.

Very happy with this run. But absolutely bait after it.

Sunday
    Run 1: 5 miles recovery / 8:38 average pace

It has been a long time since I have done a double day, but wanted to get some more mileage in. Another day in the positives so it looks like the coast is clear from winter at last! Broke out the shorts for this one ;) maybe a week early but screw it, sick of the tights! Headed out before lunch and was very focused to keep this slow, complete focus on accelerating recovery.

Run 2: 5 miles recovery / 8:53 average pace

Another slow 5 miler Sunday night to finish of a great week for me. Funny that the groin was feeling the best it has in about a month for this run, the long run must have loosened it out a bit.

Halfway through “the plan”. Beginning to get a little excited!

Week Mileage Summary
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    10m|7m|Rest|9m|4m|20m|10m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    60m|66.5m|363.9m

Good to see us training again J. Must be a great feeling after the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice bit of training there & great long run- must be good to see the back of the snow and hopefully the groin issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Looking good J. Mind that groin though.

Monday
    7 miles easy / 8:12 average pace

Six weeks to go and the countdown can really begin! :D This week is my final step-back before one final 3 week push before taper. I’ll call it my 3 week specific marathon plan. :pac:

The original plan for this was a 12 mile MLR, but listened to the body and switched days around so today was only seven. Was a good move as when I got out I let the legs dictate the pace but I rarely got down to 8min/miles. That was not important though as I’m now really trying to save the legs for the important long runs and sessions so plan to get the easy miles done at a more conservative pace.

But this was a great run, Daylight Saving Time came into effect at the weekend and it resulted in it still being bright for the first time heading out for an after work run. It felt great and made one want to get outside. The mild weather had me excited for the coming weeks where I hope to kick the training up a gear for the final stint.

This run itself was not really about Boston but just life in general, I have a few things going on at the moment that I’m trying to sort out and many eureka moments came into light in this hour and I was able to clear the head big time from a number of matters. This is why I love running for these moments, with the gra returning I finished with a fresh head, but wrecked legs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Love those head clearing runs, best therapy there is :D Delighted it's all coming together for Boston, best of luck with the next few weeks, nearly there :)

blockic wrote: »
    Daylight Saving Time

Whats the story with all the Yank phrases, wheres langer, kid and all the other Cork sayings gone to, what are they doing to you at all over there!!! Great to see things coming together for you in the run in to Boston, hopefully it will stay that way.

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats the story with all the Yank phrases, wheres langer, kid and all the other Cork sayings gone to, what are they doing to you at all over there!!! Great to see things coming together for you in the run in to Boston, hopefully it will stay that way.

Sure, he had a US twang before he even got off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Give the langer a break, I noticed nobody commented on his use of the Irish language mid-post! Maith an fear, a bhlocích, tá tú ar an mbóthar ceart anois.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Great to see things coming together for you in the run in to Boston, hopefully it will stay that way.

Just a little too soon tang! :)

Tuesday
    7 miles easy / 8:11 average pace

Headed out for more easy miles here and it was a little faster than Monday as I fan by feel. Left foot felt a little uncomfortable but didn’t think much of it.

Wednesday
    10 miles abandoned session / 15’ HMP

Legs were feeling good on Wednesday, it was bright out and I was actually really looking forward to this one as I thought I was going to finally get a good session in.

Warmed up with a couple of miles towards the lake and when I got to a path where traffic and traffic lights would not interfere I would begin to start the pace miles.

Towards the end of the warming up I felt the upper part of my left foot a little again, I had actually totally forgot about it from the night before as I had not noticed it throughout the day.

The plan for this session was 2 x 15’ T. Kicked off the first rep and I didn’t pick the ideal first mile as I was constantly bouncing around puddles from the melted snow and it was a bit of a pain in the ass to keep the pace while doing it.

Fairly early on the foot was not feeling great and uncomfortable but said I would finish the first rep and then assess. Finished it will a little more effort that I would have liked, jogged a mile…and it was feeling ok so I kicked into the second rep, pretty much immediately the discomfort returned and about 30 seconds in it turned into sharp pain. :( ..enough was enough and bailed on the rep.

Unfortunately it was an out and back route so I was the furthest possible from home and ended up hobbling about 4 miles home, it was not too bad at the easy pace and I still could manage 8:30 pace on the way back without doing any further damage.

The foot swelled up a bit and was not great yesterday but is a bit improved today. My planned LSR of 16 w 4/3/2/1 MP is gone out the window today (St. Patricks Day in Chicago tomorrow so a write off) and I think I will pack the rest of the week in as well. I need to just get the body right now before getting more miles in.

PaulieYifter put it well when he said to me “better to be more healthy than fit at the start line”

So where to now, was going pretty well with easy mileage but any sign of speed and the body gives in. The writing is on the wall really and all initial targets are now in the bin, I just don’t have the work put in.

The best I’m hoping for at this point is another BQ to maybe go again in 2016. I will be going to Boston no matter what and will finish! I’m a bit pissed as the effort of going through the crap winter in extreme conditions to get miles in will pretty much be for nothing. Going to concentrate on shorter stuff after Boston anyway to build up again. Can’t see another marathon to put things right in 2015 anyway.

Also sick of moaning in my log about injuries and niggles and you are probably sick of me but I guess you have to write down the reality, that’s what a log is all about.

Will go day-to-day at the moment and will update when I get back out running...hopefully only a few days. After getting some advice it will be all easy miles from here to Boston.

I had signed up for a 4.97 mile race on the 29th, will make a call on that closer to the time, but if I do any speed work that will be the only time I do it.

Thanks for sticking with folks!:)

2.7 miles easy
    15’ HMP (6:20)
    1 mile easy
    30” HMP
    3.8 miles hobble home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

**** one J :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Sorry to hear that J.

On a self serving note you might now be slow enough to pace me around :)

TbL

Rotten luck J, really disappointing.

My tuppence is that it sounds like you're not going to get a good time (nevermind a PB) in Boston and if that's the case, I'd concentrate on getting the body right again rather than getting what would be a mediocre result for you.

I don't know maybe others will feel I'm too cautious on this but that's my tuppence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

That's really tough J. Sorry to hear that. I don't think your hard work in the winter is wasted though. It should certainly help when you focus on the shorter stuff so not a total waste. Speaking as someone whose had to deal with a lot of injury woes, every running day for me is a lodgement in the running bank.
    Hope the body heals itself quickly and you are back to your best soon.

Bad luck Blocky, must be some underlying reasons for the spate of injuries??

Sorry to here that J, know how your feeling believe me, hope things improve for you.

• Advertisement

Hows the body now J? Any improvement?

Advertisement