Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done. Cruisin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You're some man for one man. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Friday
    3 miles easy / 8:06 average pace

Saturday
    2 miles easy / 7:39 average pace

Two leg looseners above prior to the marathon that I don't have much recollection of!

Sunday 12th October

2014 Chicago Marathon

Chip Time: 3:15:50
    Average Pace: 7.18/mile
    Result: 2515/40568

This time 12 months ago I was at my peak fitness to date, it was not to be the same this year, there were to be no targets, no PBs...it would be all about just enjoying running.

Back in March I was running 9 miles a week...even back then I had kinda written off the year, just needed to get right before taking my times and training to the next level. But having moved to Chicago, I couldn’t really turn down the opportunity to run the marathon again so close to my doorstep, especially after the great memories from last year.

So sign up I did, and If I got through the marathon in a respectable time it would be a great platform to kick on from. Training was poor enough, hardly no long runs, and if I’m honest when I knew there was no chance of a PB , the motivation to train kind of went with it. But I got through some miles and at the end of the day the aim was to get to the start line and being able to complete it!

Race Weekend

Went to the expo Saturday and stupidly brought my bank card :rolleyes: Spent way too long there soaking in the atmosphere although it did get me up for the race and the excitement was building. Was great to met ClashCityRocker there and told him he was in for a great race! Legs were wrecked from all the walking that night when I got back...never learn! Although If it was a target race I would have taken it way more seriously, didn’t even give up the drink for this one!

Race

Up at 4:45am on Sunday morning, had my usual pre-marathon breakfast of bagel, peanut butter, banana and coffee. Got the “L” blue line into downtown at 6am and it was mad how jointed the train was with runners! Got there in plenty time and hung around by the bag drop for a while before having a few pit stops and then headed towards the start...The national anthem was a bit earlier this year and I was still on the way to the corral as it finished up. No fly past this year either, lesson learned from the failure last year I guess! :pac: Weather was perfect, as I’m sure those of you watching the coverage would know :pac: and we were all set to go!

325747.jpg

Not much is to be said about the race itself, was pretty comfortable for the first 6 miles but from here on in, the legs felt a bit dead, nothing to affect the pace I was going, as it was a comfortable pace for me, but were just a slight annoyance. At the turning point up by Wrigleyville the atmosphere was electric and miles 11-13 are still my favourite part of the race when you arrive back in the loop before turning west...got a shout out from the roommates at mile 15 which was a good to break up the morning run.

At mile 19 I spotted a kid on the side of the road, reckon he was about 4 or 5. He was sitting down and had his hand up for a high five, he was hard to notice along the crowds and I reckon he was unsuccessful at his request for a good few minutes. So I decided to slow right down to a stop and crouch down and give him a decent high five before taking off again. Hopefully I made his day as much as he made mine! The amount of people on the sides of the roads was fantastic and how could someone not love this, regardless of the type of race one is running!

The rest of the way didn’t contain much drama, except for the last 3 miles when my glutes were burning from not knowing what hit them, the last long run I had done was 3 weeks ago.. they were not impressed! Caught the 3:15 pacers with a mile to go but as I had started ahead of them I was over the 3:15 mark, hit the last turn and the only mountain on the course, passed a few people here and then hit the final straight and crossing the line in a time that didn’t matter.

Aftermath

This is probably the most important aspect of the day for me and something that needs to be rectified going forward, it a way that I have yet to figure out.
    Within 5 mins of finishing the race I felt very nauseous and based on history I knew what this leads too, so ended up throwing up in Grant Park, keep to tradition right! Felt better immediately but then I took a bite from a banana 15 mins later, and threw up again almost instantly. This really isn’t normal and it is beginning to put me off running these again unless I can get it sorted in some format.

It has happened on 4 of my 6 marathons (DCM2013 pacing and Cork 2013 the exceptions) but here I was not going 100% and it still happened. I didn’t take any gels this time so that rules gels out as an issue. All I had on the way around was some water, couple of sips of Gatorade, salt tablet and a bit of a banana, and I have no issue with bananas so I’m a bit confused. So I usually feel like crap for 3 hours after a race and then immediately it is as if a switch is turned off and I eat anything and everything in sight without any issues.

What is strange is that I hydrated well but yet I have cramp in my legs at the end and pretty dehydrated. It’s as if I consume enough water, but it’s not getting around to the places it needs to be and then just rejects it when I finish..it’s a weird one and may do some research into it.

As a result of the above, I once again!! missed post-marathon beers and had to go home to lie down. No jokes people!! Made up for it later in the evening with a good few beers.

Where to now

So what’s the plan next?

Taking it easy for a couple of weeks first, then I am to run a couple of 5km or 10kms before the year is out and keep mileage respectable and consistent. Also going to try and find a yoga class and work on the core as I have severely lacking in flexibility and strength and I won’t make much gain if I don’t work on these. Also need to lose a few lbs, with US living it’s hard to avoid!

Once 2015 hits, Boston training begins and I’m going to give it a good lash, we don’t know how lucky we have it in Ireland with the weather for running, being able to train year round in half decent weather, trudging through snow and cold here for runs does not sound appetising at the moment. I’ll be using a treadmill a bit but will get out when its workable in the weather.

2014 year of running was a bit meh, although even being able to run the marathon again is progress in my book when back in January when dealing with injury I was told by a physio that I should be reconsidering Boston 2015 when I got orthotics, that it would be a long road back and never mind running one in 2014! Hopefully the year was a hiccup on the road that will be put right in 2015, need to catch up with all the speedster coming on the scene around these parts in the last 6 months! Need the competition to motivate me. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice report to occupy my so far boring Sunday afternoon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff Blocky :D

I suspect you got cramp in your legs due to fatigue of the muscle fibres because they weren't properly conditioned. Even though you were running at an easy pace, the time on your feet would lead to fatigue.

I think the nausea is due to over exertion as well. There are receptors in your brain which can trigger vomiting. The two marathons it didn't happen in you were well trained and taking it easy. I'd imagine the only way to stop it happening is to train well and aim for a time that's just a little below your best.

Good stuff Blocky :D

I suspect you got cramp in your legs due to fatigue of the muscle fibres because they weren't properly conditioned. Even though you were running at an easy pace, the time on your feet would lead to fatigue.

I think the nausea is due to over exertion as well. There are receptors in your brain which can trigger vomiting. The two marathons it didn't happen in you were well trained and taking it easy.

Thanks doc vet! ;) over exertion makes sense alright...will just have to figure out a fine balance!
    I'd imagine the only way to stop it happening is to train well and aim for a time that's just a little below your best.

Might just have to stick with it so, as that's not an option! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

blockic wrote: »

Was great to met ClashCityRocker there and told him he was in for a great race! Legs were wrecked from all the walking that night when I got back...never learn! Although If it was a target race I would have taken it way more seriously, didn’t even give up the drink for this one!.

Good to meet you too blockic, and you were absolutely right - my own race may not have gone completely to plan but it was a brilliant day. Shame we weren't able to sort out the post race pints but like yourself my stomach was in bits afterwards - emptied the contents of it into a bin at Clark & Division station on the way back to the hotel! Well done on your performance too - that's a hell of an lsr!

Good to meet you too blockic, and you were absolutely right - my own race may not have gone completely to plan but it was a brilliant day. Shame we weren't able to sort out the post race pints but like yourself my stomach was in bits afterwards - emptied the contents of it into a bin at Clark & Division station on the way back to the hotel! Well done on your performance too - that's a hell of an lsr!

Cheers CCR, nice to meet ya too! If I ever do London I'll be in touch! ;)

Meant to say in my report that I managed to go a couple of steps better this year in the team event. Team came 1st in the blue division, after the 3rd with boards last year! :D That said, my time didn't score, but it's all about the team right? ;)

Looking forward to getting my second umbrella...wait..I didn't even get the first one! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Meant to say in my report that I managed to go a couple of steps better this year in the team event. Team came 1st in the blue division, after the 3rd with boards last year! :D That said, my time didn't score, but it's all about the team right? ;)

Looking forward to getting my second umbrella...wait..I didn't even get the first one! :pac:

Call over for it anytime!!:D

Saturday 18th Oct
    5 miles recovery / 8:22 average pace

Around the block in Bucktown.

Sunday 19th Oct
    4.4 miles recovery / 8:07 average pace

Around a different block in Bucktown :)

Week Mileage Summary
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest | Rest |Rest|Rest| Rest |5m|4.4m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    9.4m|70.6m|876.2m

Wednesday 22nd Oct
    5.2 miles easy / 7:22 average pace

Over in Oz Park

Friday 23nd Oct
    5.1 miles easy / 7:38 average pace

Oz Park again.

Been taking it very handy since the marathon is my so-called “off-season”. Ran twice a couple weeks ago and twice last week. Was supposed to get out three times but an unplanned Sunday hangover put paid to that.

Gonna start picking it up now again building up to a hopefully hit 40 miles a weeks over the next few weeks.

Heading off for some wet weather training now Friday for a week. ;)

Week Mileage Summary
    Rest|Rest|5.2m|Rest|5.1m|Rest|Rest

10.3m|80.9m|886.5m

Monday
    3 miles easy / 7:45 average pace

Was bloody tired on Monday when I came back from work, still getting the tail end of a hectic weekend. I was going to skip the run and not bother but then kicked myself in the hole and said if you have that kind of attitude why bother at all. Threw on the runners and got out, even if it was only for 25mins. Was a savage day here, 24 degrees and most definitely the last warm day of the year. Felt better and more content when I got in the door.

Wednesday
    4 miles steady / 6:50 average pace

Gonna throw a steady run in now once a week gradually building it up to 7 or 8. This was comfortable enough, with the time management down to a tee these days, the route included a stop off at a grocery store to pick up dinner.

Friday
    5 miles easy / 7:18 average pace

5 easy miles this afternoon again running errands, had to pick something up from an Irish lad I work with a few blocks down. It was absolutely baltic out! 1 degree with a real feel of -7 and sure throw in hail and snow too while I'm out running for the laugh! Ha.

24 degrees Monday to a feel of -7 today, this place is mad! Need to turn into a wuss like the turd and buy my first running tights, at least I can justify them in mid-west weather, unlike him in sunny tallaghfornia!

Hopefully going to get out once more this week.

A lot of rubbish on the threads here at the moment and I strongly considered packing it in too, instead I'm putting that on hold for a few weeks and see where this goes and then review. Would like to see more posts on relevant subjects rather than the most popular threads being pure trollfests. Anyway will stick to a core group of threads for now.

Currently sitting in an airport awaiting a storm to pass through, delays and cancellations :mad: and no idea the wait however I do know the eventual destination:

The Republic of Cork :cool:

Happy Halloween folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Really thought I was going to be reading another goodbye here. Glad you are sticking around for another while.

And just for balance you are turning into a right yank with your store and errands 😅 far from them you were rearedðŸ˜႒

Sunday
    5 miles easy / 8:22 average pace

Arrived back to the homeland and after a few drinks on Saturday I got out Sunday evening for a few miles and it was the legs first experience of hills in 7 months and they didn't know what hit them! Wrecked altogether. Felt satisfying at the same time with the glutes getting some work for once

Week Mileage Summary
    3m|Rest|4m|Rest|5m|Rest|5m

17m|5m|903.5m

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 7:27 average pace

Another hilly route by home down in Cork. Really liking the runs this week, the air is so fresh and clean here and I didn't really notice a difference until I arrived back. The hilly runs made me realise I will need to somehow get in elevation runs in the states if I am to have any chance in Boston. There is a Chicago group training block known as "Boston Bound" that starts up in January each year, they bring you out to the suburbs for hilly long runs on the weekends and I think I know have made up my mind that I'm going to sign up for this.

Wednesday
    7.5 miles club session / 10 x (400m @5KP + 400m @MP)

Was in Kilkenny Wednesday so joined up with my club for their weekly track session and they are never a let down but I'm glad I'm leaving again cos not sure I could handle them every week! tough going but fantastic sessions, missing something like this in the states! Great to see ASIMON0V back running and Bahanaman was present too so we had a good group going.

1.5 miles warm up
    Rep1: 83/101
    Rep2: 87/100
    Rep3: 89/102
    Rep4: 90/104
    Rep5: 87/97
    Rep6: 86/97
    Rep7: 86/95
    Rep8: 83/104
    Rep9: 85/106
    Rep10:80/129
    0.9 miles cool down

Great to meet up with clubmates again, even if it was for one night only! Happy out with the session, used the last MP rep as recovery too as I was beat! :pac:

Friday
    5 miles easy (incl 6 x 30s hills) / 8:03 average pace

5 easy miles this morning back in hilly Cork, included 6 hill reps in this and the glutes were burning, great feeling when you are triggering muscles you know you need to work on! Need to do more of these for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tell the truth - how much stick are you getting with the twang........c'mon on, be honest - is it JWEB now, is it.

Tell the truth - how much stick are you getting with the twang........c'mon on, be honest - is it JWEB now, is it.

Haha..fortunately as I'm around corkonions my undercover accent has yet to come out! ;) some words have slipped through the gap though!

Had planned to get out once more last week but was up to ninety trying to get things done on Saturday and was travelling on Sunday. So be it.

Week Mileage Summary
    Rest|6m|7.5m|Rest|5m|Rest|Rest

18.5m|23.5m|922m

Monday
    7 miles steady / 7:11 average pace

Back in the land of the free and home of the geometrical run as cianc says! :D

I've had a poor last few weeks on the running front, just not enough miles at all so this week I'm making a conscious effort to get back in the game and get more miles in, build up to about 40 miles a week consistantly for 3-4 weeks, then up to 50 for 3-4 weeks, then into Marathon training.

A lovely night out and perfect mild conditions for a run, this would be the only mild day for the next 7-10 days so while I had not initially planned to head out, i said I better get runs done in this weather while I can.

Pace for this was just above easy pace so ill call it steady, done a loop in towards Lake Michigan but headed south at Oz Park and back west before hitting the coast. I pretty regular route for me

Wednesday
    7 miles session / 8 x 400m (200m recovery)

Wednesday will be session day for me for the next few weeks, It was baltic out tonight (-5c) and I almost wimped out, but manned up put a few layers on and got out. I even put on go-faster tights to look like TRR. Legs were still frozen though.

Jogged over to Oz Park as a warm up to get this done.

1.8 miles warm up
    8 x 400m(86, 81, 80, 80, 80, 79, 78, 77)
    8 x 200m recoveries (57, 56, 61, 59, 64, 66, 61, 62)
    2.3 miles cool down

Happy out with this one, will probably repeat this in 6 weeks to see where I am progression wise.

• Advertisement

Thursday 13th Nov
    4.2 miles easy / 7:43 average pace

Bit of a catch up, an easy run last Thursday following the 400m session. Ran this around the Wicker Park neighborhood and it ended up being a perfect rectangle. Weather getting cooler.

Saturday
    11 miles MLR / 8:12 average pace

First longish run in a while, met up with two from the club on Saturday morning for a short run along the lake shore, one had just completed her first marathon in Indy two weeks ago so was at recovery pace, the other is a BQ too so we will be seeing plenty of each other over the next few months!

Nice morning, cold but sunny and the original intended 10 miles turned into 11, although I was tired for that last one.

Sunday
    4 miles easy / 7:45 average pace

Messy run this, had no real route plucked out which can be good at times, watch also died a mile in so guesstimated the rest to put to a end the first properly structured week in a while. Building up from here now.

Week Mileage Summary
    7m|Rest|7m|4.2m|Rest|11m|4m

33.2m|56.7m|955.2m

Monday
    3 miles easy / 7:45 average pace

Well the winter arrived early in Chicago this year and completely caught me on the hop las Monday as I had yet to sign up for the gym. -9c outside with a wind chill of -22c, sweet jebus.:eek: Was on the way home from work but then decided that if I saw someone out running on the way home, I'd go out. If I saw nobody it was a day off!

I was about 2 mins from home when this lunatic rounds the corner jogging away. What a langer :mad:, ruining my plan for an evening on the couch. Got home, changed and my two housemates looks at me saying I was mental. When locals say that, maybe you should take their advice but out I went.

It was supposed to be 7 miles on my plan before the weather factor so I set myself a target of 2 miles out. I just wanted to show commitment to the upcoming cause I guess.:rolleyes:

I ran a block, south and east was fine but running into the wind going north and west was torture and by face was going numb. Managed to get over the 2 miles and settled on finishing up at 3 miles before I froze alive.

I think this will be the limit I set on running outside in future, turns out I was an idiot. There will be more to come from this story in a few months. Happy I got out all the same. Time to sign up for a gym.

Wednesday
    9.1 miles session / 6 x 800m (400m recovery)

Tuesday was the same as Monday temperature wise so I left it as a rest day. Got out last night for my session in slightly milder conditions and the rest of the week seems ok for running so I will be able to catch up from the early week setback.

1.8 miles warm up
    6 x 800m(2:52, 2:41, 2:44, 2:42, 2:49, 2:46)
    6 x 400m recoveries (2:04, 2:08, 2:05, 2:16, 2:35, 2:50)
    3 miles cool down

Died a death in the last two repetitions. Each one was supposed to be faster than the last but that didn't exactly go to plan. :o

Very tough to do sessions alone but the time is awkward to get others involved. Was a good grind to finish the session, easy miles for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice sessions!
    Be careful out there: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

cianc wrote: »
    Nice sessions!
    Be careful out there: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

Funny that you mention, I have been talking to the Americans about cardiac arrest being the biggest reason for deaths during the snow, primarily from shoveling it.

The reason I was given was is that it is usually the likes of AuldManKing and others who are pushing on and have done zero exercise and then think they can go out an shovel for 2 hrs no bother.

That article is good to know and I will be relaying it back to my country of residence's citizens. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The reason I was given was is that it is usually the likes of AuldManKing and others

I'm even famous in the US of A. :)

Thursday
    6 miles easy / 7:32 average pace

A handy one last night around Ukrainian village area on the North West side. Went from my Bucktown nebourhood, through Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village then back to Bucktown via East Village and Wicker again so got a good few areas in.

Pace was middle of the road easy as I was under pressure to go shopping after. Should have really been slower after the session the night before. No harm done.

Long run in the morning..if I can leave the pub early! ;)

Saturday
    13.3 miles MLR / 8:01 average pace

Was disciplined Friday night, dinner and one beer out before leaving the rest to it and heading home. Hit the road at 7am for this one and is was nice and mild out for the time of year, about 5c. Met a big group from TTAU on the lake shore at 7:30, having already 3 miles in the bag. After a few miles up and down the LSP we were down to just two, both of us slipped off at Addison, parted with the last of the group at Wrigley Field before doing the last 2.5 miles back home. Was in the door again for 9am, nice to get it over and done with for the day, rest of the day was spend with family here from Michigan for the weekend, nice to catch up.

Sunday
    7.6 miles easy / 8:04 average pace

As it is Thanksgiving on Thursday this week, today we hosted a Friendsgiving event where we had a few friends over for dinner. A serious spread including a 23lb Turkey and Beef & Guinness Stew meant that I was up very early cooking up a storm. Few glasses of wine, beer and a massive dinner meant I only got out for this at 6pm, was adamant to get my weeks mileage in. The dinner had get to settle however and I was still a bit on the "happy" side when I headed out :o.

A dirty damp and wet Irish evening here but it was mild so it didn't bother me one bit! I was rough in parts so took it slow as I was bloated for going out too soon. Ran up to Belmont then east to the Lake before returning inland again at Fullerton. Glad to get it over and done with and come in soaked to the bone, quite refreshing.

Back home now for seconds :D and the clean up :(.

Happy to hit 39 miles for the week, next week maybe scattered a bit however with Thanksgiving. Travelling on Wednesday and Sunday may make it a step-back week.

Heading to Detroit and hoping to get to the Lions-Bears game on Thursday. Lions home game is televised nationally on Thanksgiving as it is tradition. So looking forward to that if I can sneak a ticket!

And I'll be supporting the home team for clarification. ;) A bounce back is needed after 2 straight losses to the 2 hot teams in NFL right now.

Week Mileage Summary
    3m|Rest|9.1m|6m|Rest|13.3m|7.6m

39m|95.7m|994.2m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

The Lions are looking good for a wildcard at least with 3 home games against teams with a losing record. I'm a Packers fan though so I'm pretty much hoping the Lions take the wildcard spot and not the NFC North title:)

The Lions are looking good for a wildcard at least with 3 home games against teams with a losing record. I'm a Packers fan though so I'm pretty much hoping the Lions take the wildcard spot and not the NFC North title:)

Packers are on fire alright and ye will beat us in Lambeau. Very happy with the start to Lions season though and would be better only for kicker trouble. Who would have thought it! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    4 miles easy / 8:24 average pace

Going to be a bad week running wise for me. Monday's weather was not favorable for running and yesterday got caught with work related stuff.

I'm travelling today but did manage to get out for 4 miles in the snow this morning before work, chilly but manageable, the snow and ice on the ground meant I stuck to the grass but easy was slower than normal and felt like XC digging in and out of the ground!

Felt revived after as I hate going too long without a run. Any more miles this week will be a bonus, will be delighted if I get over 20 due to other commitments for the rest of the week.

Advertisement