Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice result.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice one blocky, race win always good, competition or not. Have you any sort if target set for Boston? Weather in Chicago sounds like it's making things challenging!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nice work over the last while J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice one blocky, race win always good, competition or not. Have you any sort if target set for Boston? Weather in Chicago sounds like it's making things challenging!

Hey A,

No real thoughts on a target yet. Trying to nail down a plan at the moment. Thinking at the moment is a PB...then it all depends on the training I get in and will revisit every couple weeks with final target set 3 weeks out. Weather is tough at times, but when you get a good day anything warmer than -5 you have to make the most of it. No excuses as other days you just can't get out!

Just happy to be training for a race this time where there is a possibility of a good result at the end of the tunnel. It has been a while! Hope to be up to speed here by Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

nice work, always nice to get a 'first finisher' :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the win - nice to see that the injuries are behind you. Onwards and upwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice going J, always great to bag a win. Keep her lit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Must have been a great Buzz! Well done ;)
    Still wearing them insoles?

Steroo wrote: »
    Must have been a great Buzz! Well done ;)
    Still wearing them insoles?

Cheers Steve, nice to see you are up and going again, albeit on the darkside!

Yep, still have the insoles and pretty much will have them for every run for the foreseeable future! Outside of XC!

Tuesday December 30th
    5 miles easy / 8:05 average pace

This was my last run in Brisbane so I made it a good one. I was catching a flight in the late morning which meant I was out at 5:40AM :eek: for this one. An ungodly hour looking back now!

I ran this on an 5m loop of Brisbane and started at Kangaroo point. A cliff area overlooking downtown Brisbane. The weather was warm if a little on the humid side. The loop takes one along Kangaroo point on the south side of Brisbane and then over Goodwill Bridge towards the city. You then run along the river on the opposite side, through the Botanic Gardens and then along a restaurant area known as Riverside which unusually is along the side of the river front! :pac:

From here I went up a steep hill and over the Story Bridge which is a typical Brisbane landmark. Here I got a good view of the city.

335828.jpg

I was enjoying this early morning run thoroughly! Once off the Bridge I headed back down to the river again and finished off the loop on along the cliff front.

335829.jpg

If I lived there, this would be a regular route for sure! Was a bit sad to be leaving but excited about the next destination of the trip!

335830.jpg

• Advertisement

With all these photos and 'exotic' locations, I reckon your real game here is to get an early shout for the poster of the year.
    TBL better watch out.

With all these photos and 'exotic' locations, I reckon your real game here is to get an early shout for the poster of the year.
    TBL better watch out.

Ha, will be far from exotic next week trudging around in cold and snow!

Sydney, Australia

Wednesday December 31st
    6 miles easy / 8:37 average pace

Arrived in Sydney on the Tuesday evening and bright and early on New Year’s Eve morning I set off to do a bit of exploring. This was more of a tourist run to get to know the place than a run with any specific training stimulus. It was ideal for running as there was no humidity further down the Australian coast to that of Queensland.

Made my way down towards the harbour and past Martin Place where the horrific incident took place just 2 weeks before.

Soon I got onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge I just had to run across it to knock it off the to-do list! Got a nice picture of the New Year’s Eve sunrise as I crossed the bridge on the beautifully fresh morning. The calm of the harbour before the chaos of the fireworks storm later than evening.

335940.jpg

When I crossed to the other side I went down to the water and found people already camping at 7am for the fireworks display at midnight!! :eek: Crazy stuff!

335941.jpg

335942.jpg

Re-traced my steps back over the bridge and jogged along the pier known as “The Rocks” towards the Sydney Opera House where I got a good view of the bridge.

335943.jpg

I got as much tourist stuff in in an hour that others would in a day! Running is great for that! Jogged back to where we were staying before heading to the fireworks later that night. It was an amazing once in a lifetime experience being out on the harbour for the fireworks overlooking the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Even better still there was a free bar! I just about contained myself until after midnight so that I wouldn’t miss out on the main event but once it was all done I rang in the New Year in style and got hammered! :pac:

Thursday January 1st
    7 miles easy / 7:58 average pace

After the head recovered from the night before I went out on this one in the early evening. The route for this one was out to do a loop of Centennial Park in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and back.

The park is in effect the Phoenix Park of Sydney and was developed in January 1888 to celebrate the first 100 years of European settlement in Australia (grand history lesson there ;))

Perfect place to run with views of the Sydney skyline within a peaceful park. Towards the end of the run just outside the Park I passed the famous SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground), started to get into watching the cricket a bit while I was over but limited strictly to the 20:20 Big Bash short version! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

F*ck that sh*t

I'd much rather be jogging around East Wall in the cold & rain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

blockic wrote: »
    Soon I got onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Re-traced my steps back over the bridge and jogged along the pier known as “The Rocks”

The route for this one was out to do a loop of Centennial Park in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and back.

Towards the end of the run just outside the Park I passed the famous SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground),

And the memories come flooding back. 13 yrs ago now - showing my age! Although my username probably took care of that too!

Queenstown, New Zealand

Saturday January 3rd
    6.5 miles easy / 7:11 average pace

Arrived in the magnificent Queenstown on the South Island late on Friday Night and had to get to the airport to pick up a car rental on the Saturday so chose to run over from the apartment. This was probably one of the most, if not, the most enjoyable training run I have had (as can be seen from the easy pace! :)). The town is nestled among the Southern Alps on the edge of the clear icy blue Lake Wakatipu and it is a magical place to run.

336084.jpg

I set off west towards the town from the apartment first along the Frankton lake trail which bustles with cyclists, runners and walkers throughout the day. A very popular spot. I done a loop around the Queenstown Gardens before returning east on the trail again towards the airport, passing the apartment again en-route. The views were spectacular and it was one of those runs where one was without restraint and it just felt great to be alive. The warm weather helped a bit too!

336085.jpg

336086.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

bloody hell, I came here looking cheer myself up by sniggering at tales of Arctic wind chills in the mid west, prat falls on black ice ...

pgmcpq wrote: »
    bloody hell, I came here looking cheer myself up by sniggering at tales of Arctic wind chills in the mid west, prat falls on black ice ...

Ha ya sorry! Don't worry its happening alright, but I'm just a little behind here trying to catch up! Almost there!

Sunday January 4th
    6.5 miles hilly / 9:42 average pace

There is a popular viewing point known as Bob’s Peak which overlooks the town and the surrounding landscape. Most venture up from ground level via the cable cars and my family had the same intention on the Sunday evening. I, on the other hand, decided that it would make for a more rewarding view at the top if I ran up it :rolleyes:, so off I went.

The trial up started at the cable car entrance and winds its way up slowly, while there are a number of routes up in terms of gradient, I of course stumbled across the hardest and steepest one going up, known as the Tiki Trail which is in effect a hiking route not made for running. As a result I had to slow to a walk in some parts but it was very enjoyable at the same time. It was nice and cool as it was the early evening and was not going to get dark until about 10.

336097.jpg

The approx. 2.5 mile hike to the summit is usually advised to take an hour so I was satisfied with my 35mins when I reached the peak, which included very impressive 14:37 and 11:43 mile splits! ;)

I was rewarded with spectacular views of the town and lake below with the Remarkables mountain range as a backdrop which is usually a ski resort in the winter.

336098.jpg

On the peak they had a number of activities going on including a go kart luge, mountain biking down world class trails and running off the cliff and parachute to the town below. I could see why the place was called the adventure capital of New Zealand and why it was swarming with backparkers. I spent a good while at the peak soaking up the beauty before I commenced my decent.

I was a little more sensible going down in that I took the maintenance road, which was a little longer but with less of a gradient and I intentionally done this with the Boston Marathon hills on the horizon. I hear the downhill parts of that route are nearly more critical that the climbs so my quads needed some bashing.

The view going down was just as vivid as from above and it really made the run fly by. Before I knew it I was back in the town below with another run and week in the books.

336099.jpg

Week 1 / 2015 Mileage Summary
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|5m|6m|7m|Rest|6.5m|6.5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    31m|20m|20m

Auckland, New Zealand

Tuesday January 6th
    5 miles recovery / 8:15 average pace

Arrived in Auckland on the Monday, the last stop of the trip. :(. Woke up early Tuesday morning to hear that there had been a quake in the South Island measuring 6.0 on Richter scale, escaped that one! Having been though one before it’s not a pleasant experience! Sadly that area of the country has been having them frequently the last couple of years and it’s got to the point where people have given up rebuilding again because they keep happening. While I didn’t get to Christchurch I hear it is an eye opening experience.

Anyway, was out early morning for this one and ran along Auckland’s North Wharf at recovery pace as the legs were still a bit tired from the mountain climb a couple days before. It was a really nice bright morning.

336164.jpg

Looped back the long way back to the hotel by going through the small but very well maintained Albert Park before finishing up right underneath the Sky Tower where I done a 360 around it for good luck!

Wednesday January 7th
    4 miles recovery / 8:25 average pace

Last early morning run before the long depressing trip back to the cold and pancake flat Chicago. Auckland is pretty much a city of extinct volcanos so it is quite hilly so the constant up and down was excellent training. Ran down from the hotel and in to the Auckland Domain, where there is a steady climb up again to the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Done a loop of the museum at the crest of the hill before bouncing back down the hill, through Albert Park again like the day before and back to the starting point.

While I was not looking forward to going home, I was looking forward to an end of runs that served no specific purpose. For the next few months this will not be the case. With the amazing trip over, it’s time to get down to business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice work on the travel log :D Looks like you had an amazing time!

Sunday January 11th
    4 miles easy / 8:14 average pace

Back in the US and took a few days for the body come round after the flights. Managed to get some miles in on the Sunday and it was my first treddie session of the year, cold and snow outside meant there was no choice.

Was bored out of my mind after 2 miles, don't know what I will do if I have to do long runs on it! Bad week mileage wise but couldn't do anything with the travel.

Week 2 / 2015 Mileage Summary
    Rest|5m|4m|Rest|Rest|Rest|4m

13m|33m|33m

Just bringing up my last year total, serious hope I get more mileage in this year!

Monthly Summary

Month|Runs|2013 Miles|Runs|2014 Miles
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2
    March|24/31|216.1|7/31|25.3
    April|17/30|120.2|12/30|48.5
    May|20/31|151.8|17/31|97.2
    June|18/30|149.7|19/30|107.1
    July|26/31|220.4|22/31|157.3
    August|27/31|250.5|21/31|169.7
    September|24/31|197.3|19/31| 163.5
    October|18/31|135.4|14/31|92.9
    November|10/30|67.5|16/30|103.7
    December|1/31|4|22/31|145.6

Tuesday January 13th
    Run 1: 2 miles easy / 9:19 average pace

Threw on the spikes for this and gave it a shot at running in a foot of snow. what was I thinking, tough work but serious work for the quads! Gave it up after 2 miles...and brought my sorry ass to the gym instead! :pac:

Run 2: 3 miles easy / 8:10 average pace

Hopped on the treddie to finish the run, again, torture.

30 mins of core work after this. Going to try and get this in twice a week during Boston training

Wednesday January 14th
    8.1 miles easy / 7:55 average pace

It was bloody cold for this one! :eek: I ran over to the Lincoln Park Zoo car park where they clear the car park from snow so this is where the speedwork is done in the winter. Footpaths were dead quiet and I though I was the only madman out, that was until I rounded the corner into the car park and It was like a runners hide-out! Suspect I will be back here a good bit over next few weeks. Nice to get a decent mileage run in on a week night

Thursday January 15th
    6 miles easy / 7:58 average pace

Again a routine easy run over in Oz Park where I usually do my speed sessions. It hadn't snowed in a few days so the paths were run-able.

Saturday January 17th
    12.1 miles LSR / 7:23 average pace

Early start for this one as it was either run on my own or take up an offer of company. Out the door at 6:40 in the dark and joined up with a few of the club guys on at the lake at 7:10. These lads are speedy and I was dragged along for much of this but was good to get a decent long run in at a nice pace. Managed to get the sunrise as we were running along which was nice but don't plan on seeing that too often! I reckon getting in with these lads should bring me on in some way. Once the serious long runs kick in I might drop it back a notch as I don't want to run too many long runs too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

You've finally come to your senses about early morning running :D

Runchick wrote: »
    You've finally come to your senses about early morning running :D

They wouldn't be top of my list now but I'm slowly coming round! First 15mins are the hardest but then it's grand..nice to have a long run done by 9am though!:)

Sunday 18th January

Dan Burnham XC (4km)

Time: 14:59
    Average Garmin Pace: 5.53/mile
    Result: 35/114

This is a very popular winter event amongst Chicago club runners, It is set in Montrose Harbour overlooking the downtown skyline in an area known as Cricket Hill, the only decent hill in the Chicago city area. The route was 4 1km laps which included up and down of Cricket hill each time. Its not an official event with all the bells in whistles but kept very simple, everyone rocks up to a bag at the centre of a track, gets a number and off you go, no messing, the way I like it.

Arrived in plenty time and our club had a decent turnout at this, done a two mile warm up before the start. The weather has been quite mild for the time of year the last 2 weeks and it was mild and a temp of about 1c for this, that is warm here! The problem was the positive temperature meant there was a lot of snow melt which would cause much fun during the race!

After a little more chatting some went and done a lap to check out the route, I decided to go in blind, and I am glad I did!

Rocked up to the start and soon we were off. Spikes and snow was soon flying everywhere in the bustle to find position, however, we were not allowed to relax for too long as soon I heard screams up above and I realised why straight after, before I knew it I was in the middle of a pool of ice water! :eek::eek:

336559.jpg

seen at back with orange hat

Splashing everywhere, it was chaos! It was a mixture of torture and laughter as we eventually exited it leaving my feet behind and then the start of the climb began, felt strong here and was controlled again on the decent.

Coming towards the end of the first lap people were settled down now. Just as I was beginning to feel my feet again it was the start of the second lap a and through the ice water again! I then came to realise that the route was worked out in such a manner to go through the worst under footing areas as possible, true XC style! I was loving it actually it was pretty good fun (apart from the numb feet part). I was picking people off here and there with nobody passing me, I was catching most people on the hill climb which I was satisfied about, however as each lap passed the decent was getting muddy and a little more tricky.

336560.jpg

The third lap was uneventful as I was now caught in no-man’s land between groups, I didn’t mind though as it was only a bit of fun. On the start of the fourth lap, (yes, legs numb again!) I started to hear footsteps behind me and sounded like a guy on a mission, I picked it up as I was not going to let anyone passed, this gave me the boost I needed as I soon saw targets to aim for again in the distance. An increased effort for the last lap meant I caught some more people again on the climb and as I rounded the last corner I tore past two others, position was imported for team event. As soon as I passed one guy picked it up and caught up with me, soon we were in a sprint, I picked it up and got ahead, then he picked it up and went ahead, THEN I went into a sprint to go ahead again and pinch it at the death by .2 of a second :cool:

Finished 35th which was alright considering the depth of the field up front, I had the intention of doing it just for a laugh anyway so all is good! Thankfully brought some warm clothes and dry socks to change into straight after and the banter about the various conditions on the course was fun!

It was nice to have one last blow out in a different environment before getting down to marathon business.

Week Mileage Summary
    Rest|5m|8.1m|6m|Rest|12.1m|5.5m

36.7.m|69.7m|69.7m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Some free advertisement for the Athlone Half?

tang1 wrote: »
    Some free advertisement for the Athlone Half?

Haha, that and Kilkenny Tri Club hat. Trying to draw in some international athletes for September.

A Failte Ireland representative really!:pac:

I like the coordination of the hat and the top - could you not have worn orange runners?.........really?

You seem to be enjoying your running over there, despite the weather.
    When you do your normal daily runs, do you get caught at roads/light much??

• Advertisement

I like the coordination of the hat and the top - could you not have worn orange runners?.........really?

You seem to be enjoying your running over there, despite the weather.
    When you do your normal daily runs, do you get caught at roads/light much??

I had orange shorts but made a last minute change! :p

Ya its not bad, all my midweek runs are done around 6:45-7pm when I get in from work, I get caught a bit at lights alright, but over time there are some routes I would use were the session parts of the run are not interfered.

I'm 2.5 miles from the lake which is a 17 mile lit up path but when I'm doing 7 mile run there is not much justification to run there for the sake of 2 miles..

Also if one is running a block and adopts the "keep right" method on intersections I tend to miss most of the lights.

Advertisement