Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sunday
    4 miles easy / 7:47 average pace

Last week turned out as bad as expected, with Thanksgiving, a couple of nights out and two longish drives. Great few days in Michigan where I witnessed a great Lions win :D and got to see Calvin Johnson himself in the flesh. Luckily all the TDs were at our endzone also! :cool:. Followed this up by serious dinner and a couple of wild nights out.

330461.jpg

Back to the running, I was staying 10 mins drive from the very first parkrun set up in the US in the city of Livonia, it was set up 4 years ago and surprisingly to this day there are only 3 set up in the entire US. Difficulty with sponsorship and commercial organisations not buying into the whole concept have made it difficult for expansion, which is a big shame.

I had ideas of doing this one Saturday morning, but ice resulted in cancellation, Just as well anyway as Saturday morning I was sprawled across a sofa intoxicated anyway! :o

I have family nearby so hopefully I will get back there to do it soon.

Only managed to get out Sunday morning before the drive back, 4 measly miles resulting in a total of 8 for the week.

The only positive for the week was that I finally crossed the 1,000 miles for the year :), half of what I done last year but at least I got there!

This week will be a redemption week now, aim to hit over 40.

Week Mileage Summary
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|Rest|4m|Rest|Rest|Rest|4m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    8m|103.7m|1002.2m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Class photo! Never seen anyone stuff a turkey like that though:eek:

Update to the monthly summary, one to go!

Monthly Summary

Month|Runs|2013 Miles|Runs|2014 Miles
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2
    March|24/31|216.1|7/31|25.3
    April|17/30|120.2|12/30|48.5
    May|20/31|151.8|17/31|97.2
    June|18/30|149.7|19/30|107.1
    July|26/31|220.4|22/31|157.3
    August|27/31|250.5|21/31|169.7
    September|24/31|197.3|19/31| 163.5
    October|18/31|135.4|14/31|92.9
    November|10/30|67.5|16/30|103.7
    December|1/31|4||

Tuesday
    8 miles easy / 7:33 average pace

This was originally pinned in for Monday but it was forecast to be the coldest of the week so I used it as a rest day. The weather pretty much dictates what my rest days are now and when ever it is mild enough to run I have to take advantage even if I don't feel up for it! (within reason)

Got out Tuesday and was loving the run, couldn't get enough of it as it was perfect conditions out for December. Ended up doing an extra mile that planned as was feeling good and you never know what might happen later in the week.

Wednesday
    9.5 miles session - 10K Pace / [6'P (2') + 12'P (4') + 6'P (4') + 4'P]

Another tough session last night, slave driver of a club coach really putting us through our paces ;) I wasn't feeling great heading out for this, long day and was pretty tired, the warm up felt like an effort and almost used it as an easy run and was going to postpone until tonight but went with it in the end.

Target pace for 10km was anything under 6 min, far cry from a little over a year ago where 6 min/mile was my Half Marathon pace! Motivation if ever there was some to get my ass in gear!

1.8 miles warm up
    6 min @10KP (5:58)
    2 min recovery
    12 min @10KP (5:59)
    4 min recovery
    6 min @10KP (6:04)
    4 min recovery
    4 min @10KP (5:57)
    2 miles cool down

First rep and first half of the second rep were comfortable but then things got hairy! Walked half of the 4 min recovery and dug in for the second 6' rep, this one was a struggle and walked half the recovery after this one too. In fact the prescribed recovery was supposed to be 2 min but I needed to double it to recover!

The last rep was then supposed to be 8 mins but I knew if I done that It would end very ugly do in order to rescue the session I set it back to 4 in order to come away with some bit of confidence and satisfaction!

Happy with the session overall. On track for my weekly mileage. Slight concern was that once I got home I felt an ever so slight discomfort in my old foot injury that kept be out most of the start of the year.

Will be monitoring this VERY closely. I need new runners too, my Wave Inspire 10s are over 500 miles at this stage.

Thursday
    5 miles recovery / 8:18 average pace

A very purposely slow recovery jog last evening after a tough 2 days. Legs feeling the workload which is a good sign from my point of view, showing progress. Quite mild these days so making the most of it. Foot OK on this one.

Long run tomorrow all going well.

• Advertisement

Saturday
    15 miles LSR / 7:55 average pace

Up early Saturday morning for the usual long run, met a few people at the lake shore for some miles that helped break the distance up a bit! Decent long run this, originally planned 14 so happy to get the extra mile in at the end and home before 9:30am!

Spent the rest of the day painting the apartment, crouching up, down, left, right meant my quads were absolutely in bits at the end of the day. Some chore!

Sunday
    5 miles easy / 8:05 average pace

Finished up the painting yesterday morning so didn't get out for this until late. Routine enough, legs feeling the effects of the biggest mileage week in a couple months.

Joined a gym over the weekend so now no excuse to skipping runs during the bad weather!

Week Mileage Summary
    Rest|8m|9.5m|5m|Rest|15m|5m

42.5m|42.5m|1044.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

blockic wrote: »
    Saturday
    15 miles LSR / 7:55 average pace

Decent long run this, originally planned 14 so happy to get the extra mile in at the end and home before 9:30am!
    What have you done with the real blockic :confused:

What have you done with the real blockic :confused:

Haah, I know! Partly converted!

Monday
    5.6 miles easy / 7:50 average pace

Planning on getting close to 50 miles this week, aiming for around 48 mark and I decided that the only way to get this in due to my long commutes was to add an extra day. This will likely be my last solid week until the new year as I wont be able to get out much over the xmas period as I'm taking a bit of a once-off holiday.

Started off the week monday with a handy jog towards the lake and back stopping off at the store to pick up some dinner and bits on the way back. The last half a mile with a half gallon of milk in one hand and bread in the other while jogging away was a bit hilarious!

Tuesday
    5.1 miles easy / 7:25 average pace

Headed out Tuesday evening in some snow flurries but it wasnt too cold. If it snows its a good sign in that it wont be absolutely baltic due to cloud cover, when tis dry and clear its a different story! I've a bit of a new route for these runs where I run North to Addison, east for a block and then down Ashland. Stopped off again in the store to pick up cereal this time.

Why didn't I just take one night off do my full shopping giving me the other night to focus solely on the running! Saving time in the process! :rolleyes:

Wednesday
    10.2 miles session / 6 x [3' @5KP (2')]

Session 5/6 and as I'm planning to run a 5km in the next couple of weeks I said I'd give a decent 5km session a bash.

2.5 miles warm up
    6 x 3 min @5KP (5:54, 5:51, 5:49, 5:48, 5:42, 5:37)
    2 min recovery jogs
    3 miles cool down

Very happy with this one, the average pace was dropping nicely for each repetition and I gassed it on the last one to hold little back. I noticed at the start of this session that my strides were too long and inefficient so i cut them back a bit and instantly saw improved results. Nice to have figured this out.

I'll have one more week of these sessions to complete a 6 week block and then kick it off again in the new year with a slightly different approach to sessions with Boston in mind. Not long to Boston training now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Do ye have no 'shops' over there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

belcarra wrote: »

I think he means:

Aint y'awl gotta no shops over dar ?

What the plan to keep the boston training "on the road" (pun intended) when the winter weather hits ? tm ?

belcarra wrote: »

Completely done that unintentionally, thats what I get for living with Americans!
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    I think he means:

Aint y'awl gotta no shops over dar ?

What the plan to keep the boston training "on the road" (pun intended) when the winter weather hits ? tm ?

Yeah, plan for to keep the training going will be to get outside if at all possible, will then have the treadmill as a last resort, have signed up to a gym 2 mins from my place so will skip across there if needs be. Can't imagine doing anything more than an hour on that though. I'm not a treadmill guy so not looking forward to it.

Also hope to get trips out to the hills in the suburbs weekly if not bi-weekly for long runs. Will be difficult to arrange without a car at the moment but hopefully can sort it with the other people doing Boston here!

Thursday
    6.1 miles easy / 8:03 average pace

Took this one a bit easier last night after the session the night before, went down around my previous neighborhood and done a lap of Eckhart Park for old time sake. It was a lot different in summer!

That's 6 days straight of running, biggest streak in a while and looking forward to the day off today, don't want to push my luck too much although contemplating doing a 30 day streak in the new year but if it is going to risk injury I will abandon that idea. Will do a risk / reward assessment closer to the time before making the call.

Saturday
    16 miles LSR / 7:44 average pace

Didn't manage to get out until the afternoon yesterday as I was in the barbers in the morning getting rid of the beard, 6 week experiment over! :) As a result I had to run this solo as people like morning runs here! Was dreading it a bit when I headed out at 2 but it ended up not being so bad. Went a bit further south on the lake shore path on this one, looping around Navy Pier, through Grant Park. passing the downtown skyline en route and into the Museum Campus, which passed the time a bit.

Turned at 10 miles on Northerly Island and re-traced my steps, finishing outside Fleet Feet, the main running store in town to investigate the purchase of new runners.

Delighted to get 16 miles long run in during December, very mild here at the moment compared to normal so trying to make the most of it.

Sunday
    7 miles easy / 7:55 average pace

Got out this evening for this after purchasing the new Mizuno Wave Inspire 11s. Wanted to get another pair of 10s but they would not have arrived until after xmas which is no good to me as I'm well over 500 miles on my current pair. So after doing some research I decided to invest in these as the design is back to similar design of the 9s, which I quite liked. Happy with the investment, toe box is smaller which gives a more comfortable fit.

So went out to christen these and it was pretty routine run, really feel like I'm cruising at the moment which is nice, it's been a while since I've felt this good when running.

With 6 miles in, I really had to add the extra mile to hit the golden week of 50 miles.:) Delighted to get that sort of mileage in, third biggest week of the year, bit shocked by that! Unfortunately I'll only be tipping away for the next 3 weeks now due to holidays so likely not to see that mileage again until mid-January.

Seriously lacking in core work too and could loose a few more pounds in that area, this will be a January project in addition to starting yoga to improve the aul flexibility!

And an important Lions win to end the weekend, happy days.

Week Mileage Summary
    5.6m|5.1m|10.2m|6.1m|Rest|16m|7m

50m|92.5m|1094.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey Blocky great training this week :) I'm a recent convert to the wave inspire's, after years in sauconys I really love them. Currently in a pair of 9s and was looking at the 10s as my next little purchase (only because they're cheaper than the 11s) but reading your comments I'm wondering if that's wise? How were they different to the 9s?

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey Blocky great training this week :) I'm a recent convert to the wave inspire's, after years in sauconys I really love them. Currently in a pair of 9s and was looking at the 10s as my next little purchase (only because they're cheaper than the 11s) but reading your comments I'm wondering if that's wise? How were they different to the 9s?

Hey runchick, great to see you back running!

The 9s and 11s are very similar, but you will feel a bit of a difference with the 10s, I was still running away with them fine though and I will still probably buy another pair for alternating with in training.

While the 10s are lighter, I have noticed 2 things.

1) The toe box is huge compared to the others, not necessarily a bad thing for me as I have wide feet but it was even a bit too big for me, resulting in the front part of my foot moving around a bit and not kept fully snug in place.

2)Some parts of the 10s are melted together instead of stitched and they have a name for the mesh on the top of the shoe being broken at an early stage of the shoe's life cycle.

The 11s are selling for $130 here and I can get the 10s for $80. The 11s are IMO a better shoe, but $50 better? No! If I could have got my hands on the 10s before xmas I would have got them instead for sure.

Sorry for the ramble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good to know that about the Mizunos, I might have to stockpile the 10s as I love the wide toebox!
    Great to see you back in the groove too man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks for that. The 9s are the perfect fit for me so don't fancy changing that up too much, might just have to skip on to the 11s, time to change the Santa list me thinks :P

Monday
    6 miles easy / 8:11 average pace

A soft wet flooded night like home here on Monday, didn't want to wreck my new runners after one run, so banged on the old ones again for this to get soaked! Some difference in feel! Didn't realise how how unforgiving and worn they were until you compare! With 600 miles on them now there are no miles left so will have to get a secondary pair in the new year.

Run was routine, nothing exciting to report.

Wednesday
    6.5 miles session / 10 x [200m @5KP (200m)]

Went out last night with a planned session on 20x200s but ended up bailing halfway through which pissed me off a bit.:mad: My own doing though. The main reason was that my left achillies acted up on the 3rd and 4th rep so I stopped after the 4th for a couple of minutes to stretch it out. Kept going for another few but it was still a nuisance so packed it in at 10. More risk than reward in this situation. I wasn't feeling great for this anyway for a couple of reasons.

1) Doing a session wearing new runners you have just done one run in and have not broken in is a bad idea. I knew it too as my achillies acted up a bit at the start of my last pair too. :rolleyes: Takes a few runs to bed in.

2) I had not eaten in over 8 hours so that will always lead to trouble too. Will need to bring two lunches to work and have something at 4pm or so to get me through until about 8.

1.75 miles warm up
    10 x 200m @5KP (46, 44, 43, 44, 43, 44, 44, 43, 44, 41)
    200m recovery jogs
    2 miles cool down

The target was 40s reps but I'm not too concerned with this as the 200s were a little long. It was not done on a track so I had to guess using the garmin and 0.13 of a mile (too stubborn to change to km)

Gonna take a break from the speed work now for a couple weeks and do some easy and steady runs...heading out for a short easy run later.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas to all and your families on here! Hope ye all enjoy the day! Thanks for following my uneventful log of the year! :rolleyes: Hopefully there is more action next year!

Will update the backlog on my training at some stage.

19:48 in my first parkrun this morning running at half marathon pace and 16th finisher! ;)

Aiming to go all out Saturday morning now in another one which is much flatter. Will see where I'm at then.but for now..back to the wine! :D Enjoy the dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

How did the race go blockic?

How did the race go blockic?

Hows it going, cheers for asking, been off the radar for a bit.

Ran 18:26 and first finisher ;). Only reason why I crossed first though was that the weather was poor and not many turned up! Still I'll take it.:pac:

About 30 seconds away from where i want to me but at least i have a point to move from now. will catch up on the log and do a report at some point this week hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

blockic wrote: »
    Ran 18:26 and first finisher ;). Only reason why I crossed first though was that the weather was poor and not many turned up! Still I'll take it.

You can only beat what's put in front of you.

race2.bmp

Thursday December 18th
    5 miles easy / 7:41 average pace

This log is well out of date so time to try and catch up, will hopefully get back up to the present in installments over the next few days!

Almost a month ago :o I headed out on this one. A routine block route to loosen the legs before catching a flight.

Week 51/2014 Mileage Summary
    6m|Rest|6.5m|5m|Rest|Rest|Rest

17.5m|110m|1112.2m

Back in Spring 2014 an opportunity presented itself to spend Christmas in Oz, kind of a once in a lifetime thing so of course I grabbed it with open arms!

Nothing like some warm weather training over the depths of winter! :pac: What was great that it was planned so well in advance that we were able to work out that all the family would spend the holidays there with parents and brother flying from Ireland and my other brother who lives there. It was a pretty big deal for us as a family as usually holidays for us involved a few days in Killarney so is was a great novelty and was glad that it was all able to come together. :)

I wasn’t sure how many runs I was going to get over there and every run would be a bonus but I was determined to run in every place that I went to in order to expand my running footprint. ;)

So anyway, back on point.

Brisbane, Australia

Tuesday December 23rd
    8.5 miles easy / 7:49 average pace

On with the shorts, singlet and suncream for this one which was a bit strange coming from the cold!:) Ran this one in the Minippi parkland in an area known as Murarrie, an eastern suburb of Brisbane. Glorious morning out and was out the door at 7am to get in before the real heat kicked in. It gets bright at that time of year at 4:30am so everyone is up and about at 5am! It feels like 9am for them! Something you wouldn’t dream off at home but it’s so warm out and with the sun shining in the window you actually can’t stay in bed!

There is a parkrun in Minippi that I didn’t manage to get to do but I ran this run around the lake loop that they use as the course. I knew I was where I was when I got a "G'Day" from a running passing in the opposite direction. It felt good to be running in the relative freedom of a singlet rather than layers of clothes, hat and gloves! Was pretty happy to get in 8 miles as I was originally planning to do 6.

Wednesday December 24th
    5 miles easy / 8:09 average pace

Same time again I got out the following morning, was a lot hotter and humid than they day before and the easy pace suffered as a result. What was good also on the trip was that I got to make use of some hills compared to the pancake of Chicago so I was determined to make use of them and get in as many as I could.

The lack of hill experience showed and I struggled every time on even the little ones. This is scaring me a bit seeing as I need to prepare for Boston but I’m working on getting some access to hills for that so hopefully that works out! Ran part of the previous days route just not as far as the lake. Finished up at the shop and picked up bread and was back home before everyone else was up! :rolleyes:

Thursday 25th December

Christmas Day Brisbane Parkrun

Time: 19:48
    Average Garmin Pace: 6.14/mile
    Result: 16/538

This was one of two parkruns I done while down under. This South Bank Parkrun was the only one in Brisbane on Christmas Day, hence the big numbers! Surprisingly this was my very first parkrun, there was none in Kilkenny when I lived there and a trip to Dublin for one never materialised so I was a bit excited. Having noticed that the one I was going to run on the uncoming Saturday was a more favourable course I said I would target that one for my main “race” so I used this one as a half marathon pace effort.

Managed to get the whole family out of bed and down to the run for the 7am start. Place was jointed.

335350.jpg

My Aussie brother had done a few already so was doing this also and convinced my 13yr old youngest brother to run it as well, he has never run anything other than play hurling and football so was interested to see how this would pan out! I tore off myself anyway :pac:

The course is right in the centre of Brisbane and it is one loop which takes in both sides of the Brisbane River, this results in some parts of the route which has steps so therefore not ideal for a "racing" effort.

I started towards the front with about 30 ahead and the adrenaline meant I went way too fast the first mile but it was great to be running on Christmas morning in 25c! Noted my error after one mile and just eased away off then for the remaining 2 miles with the run on Saturday in mind. I concentrated instead on soaking up the atmosphere and views. Towards the end and rounding the last corner a guy behind tried to make a burst past me but I was having none of it so threw on the after burners and put him back in his place! Hope I described the event as below!

335351.jpg

Finished 16th which I was happy enough with! Parkrun is massive there and I would love if I had the opportunity to have the option of it in Chicago, something we may look to pursue in 2015.

Waited around for the rest of the family to come in and next thing the younger brother rounded the corner first! :eek: Got a good kick from that one and finished in 28mins. He kicked on from the other bro at halfway cos he wasn’t fast enough :pac:, the other was taking it handy. He would end up doing 3 before the end of the trip.

Back home for Christmas dinner which didn’t feel like Christmas at all, the body just cant understand it when it's warm. In fact I am still waiting for Christmas to come here as it was so different! I’ve only 11 month to wait :pac:

More on the trip to come…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

excellent stuff, great post and a Christmas to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff, J, that parkrun course looks like fun. 7am though, jebus!

America is crying out for more parkrun events. You have to get one going in Chicago. :pac:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great stuff, J, that parkrun course looks like fun. 7am though, jebus!

America is crying out for more parkrun events. You have to get one going in Chicago. :pac:

They sure are early, but I can totally see how one would get used to it!

Haha, yeah parkrun in the US has been slow to take off, corporations don't see the appeal and have no interest in providing any support or backing. The result is 3 parkruns across the US to date which is ridiculous!

Although a 4th is beginning in San Francisco soon so maybe that will kick start it again.

After Boston I don't have much planned for the summer so I may see what avenues are open. Already have had initial discussions with an experienced person in the area so might try make it a little summer project to see if there is any way we can get one off the ground.

• Advertisement

Friday December 26th
    3 miles recovery / 8:39 average pace

After the bit of speed the day before I was back at base in Murarrie for a handy 3 mile recovery just to loosen the legs for the race the following day.

Saturday 27th December

New Farm Parkrun, Brisbane

Time: 18:26
    Average Garmin Pace: 5.52/mile
    Result: 1/85

I had kind of been aiming for this run from 4 weeks out, and having looked at the previous weeks for this location, I was hoping for a top 5 finish and around an 18:15 time.

While the outcome was much better than that I came away disappointed and would have been more satisfied with a lower finish but a better performance, but I guess what Toblerone said puts it in some perspective. You can only beat what is put in front of you.

This parkrun usually hosts 200-300 parkrunners every Saturday, so I was physched that there would be decent competition up front. I was really focused and looking forward to it.

However, with my luck on waking up on the Saturday morning there was a torrential downpour outside :( I contemplated giving it a skip as you could see in the taxi driver’s face (the brother) that he was in no way this committed to going for a run even though he was saying the opposite! :)

Seeing as it was my one and only shot at this one, I eventually decided to go for it so we hopped in the car and off we went. Rain was easing off the closer we got to the run and it was actually just a little drizzle upon arrival.

Unfortunately as Queenslanders are used to sunshine and can do this one any Saturday they wish :), most decided to skip this one due to the weather resulting in a small turn out. Disaster.

Race:

Waiting around at the start, I spotted some competition that ”looked” the part. So I lined up next to this guy and soon we were off!

Pretty much instantly a group of 4 lead the way, with me being tucked in behind the lead two. The guy I had bigged up prior to the start was nowhere to be seen, doh!

This is an out and back route along the Brisbane river so views were good, but one had to be careful on the wooden decking in parts along the river after the rain. For the first mile (5:52) I held on with the group to see their intentions and what their mojo was. The pace was beginning to slow and creep up and I was feeling too comfortable.

Here I had to make a decision as If I was continue to stay with the group my target time would suffer even though I would increase my chance of being a first finisher.

Decided to just up the pace a bit to see the reaction and I took to the front and see how the other reacted. There was not much of a response and soon I found myself creeping away and having a substantial gap.

From just after the mile mark to the finish I was on my own and it turned into a time trial which kinda sucked as there was nobody there to give me that extra push.

At the turn around point I could see the gap was a good 20 seconds and could see that it was pretty much in the bag, this was mentally tough at this point as I found it difficult to still give 100% when I knew the result would be the same, still I tried to keep it together as much as possible. Second mile went in 5:46 while the last mile (6:00) was a procession and while consciously I still was focused, sub-consciously I knew it was over so I kind of gave up on it. The last spurt at 5:29 pace was too little too late and crossed as first finisher which was nice but soaked to the bone! :)

Afterthoughts: If I had someone to work with up front for a bit longer I reckon there was another 10-12 seconds the if I was pushed for sure. So while I was not 100% satisfied I know where I am and can build my training paces off this effort now for the moment. :cool:

Family put in a solid performance with 22mins for one, and a 3 min PB coming home in 25mins for the youngest guy who ran his second 5km in 3 days after doing nothing up to that point! The legs were a little sore on Sunday!

Week 52/2014 Mileage Summary
    Rest|8.5m|5m|3.7m|3m|4.4m|Rest

24.6m|134.6m|1136.8m

Advertisement