Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Seriously - that's a great time given your conditioning over the past few months.

Do the marathon or not?
    Run the marathon & enjoy it or race it for a poor time (by your standards) and spend 6 weeks recovering?

I know what I'd do - but I'm old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Seriously - that's a great time given your conditioning over the past few months.

Do the marathon or not?
    Run the marathon & enjoy it or race it for a poor time (by your standards) and spend 6 weeks recovering?

+1 to that, and i aint near as old as him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Good to see the times going in the right direction blocky! You have a ****load of potential- looking forward to seeing more downward movement! (and better injury luck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    J, you sound to be in the exact same place as me with your running (albeit, still much, much quicker!).
    I'm still struggling big time since coming back from my hamstring injury and have only done a 16 and an 18.5 mile run for my training, and have Berlin in a few weeks. I'm certainly looking at jogging that.
    I'm going to look upon it as an LSR with DCM in mind 4 weeks later.

Looks like your plans have changed since you posted this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

menoscemo wrote: »
    Looks like your plans have changed since you posted this ;)

Just saw that afterwards! :rolleyes:
    It was a great tactical move by me a couple of months ago but always had the chance to blow up in my face, just glad it's well in advance and not the morning of the race!

Looks like now I'll have to aim for a mid - late November marathon. Any alternatives to Clonakilty?

Sorry about the hijack Johnny!
    I'd say you were gutted the Cats didn't win yesterday??;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

J, you sound to be in the exact same place as me with your running (albeit, still much, much quicker!).
    I'm still struggling big time since coming back from my hamstring injury and have only done a 16 and an 18.5 mile run for my training, and have Berlin in a few weeks. I'm certainly looking at jogging that.
    I'm going to look upon it as an LSR with DCM in mind 4 weeks later.

I think there is no point in racing for 20 miles and then really struggling the final 6 miles. That would just demoralise the following 6 weeks of training/running.
    Instead, take it easy for the marathon and use it as an LSR and continue your full recovery and base building for a shorter goal race in November instead.
    You will not PB Chicago at this stage and you know that. It's just a matter of not enough weeks, so no point in flogging yourself as a result. Just try to get full enjoyment back into your running.

Jealous hearing/seeing about all those American miles in DC and Chicago...just like last October for me!

Thanks John, good analysis, sounds similar alright, I guess I knew it in my heard deep down, but just not in my brain! ;) ..needed someone to say it to me. A jog around it is going to be at this stage now for sure.

Do the marathon or not?

tang1 wrote: »
    +1 to that, and i aint near as old as him.

Yup, I hear ye...time to go looking for a November race! might take a stab at another half/10km :)
    dukeraoul wrote: »
    Good to see the times going in the right direction blocky! You have a ****load of potential- looking forward to seeing more downward movement! (and better injury luck)

Thanks Dr. Q, hopefully I'll be seeing ya in Boston. I have to wait until Friday to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nothing wrong with doing marathons without being at absolute full fitness and in PB shape. In fact, I was 15-30 mins off my PBs in each of London, Boston and New York, and by just running them to enjoy the show, I absolutely had a ball. At this stage, you could bust yourself and end up running a disappointing 3:07, or have a very comfortable run and soak it all in for a 3:15-20 type time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

that's a nice HM given your assessment of your shape right now.
    blockic wrote: »
    Yup, I hear ye...time to go looking for a November race! might take a stab at another half/10km :).

Philadelphia is still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

pgmcpq wrote: »

Philly is a decent course!
    Dukeofdromada and wildrhubarb could do with a babysitter too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Do it, race it and collapse again.

Please?

Pretty please??

All things considered that was a nice run in the hm, good job sticking with it as DNF'ing would wrecked your head going into the marathon

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    that's a nice HM given your assessment of your shape right now.

Philly is a decent course!
    Dukeofdromada and wildrhubarb could do with a babysitter too!

Didn't know of the news! They must be delighted to bring an american into the world! ;)

Unfortunately a trip home in November and a trip away for Christmas (yes, i said the C word!) means that my gallivanting for the remainder of the year will be limited! So no Philly trip!

Might try find something in the 3 states near me.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Do it, race it and collapse again.

Please?

Pretty please??

All things considered that was a nice run in the hm, good job sticking with it as DNF'ing would wrecked your head going into the marathon

Ha, No chance...might try aim for a 3:38...just to run faster than you in Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ha, No chance...might try aim for a 3:38...just to run faster than you in Dublin ;)

On the assumption that he finishes..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Might try find something in the 3 states near me.

You probably know this ... but just in case - this is the comprehensive guide :

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm

Monday
    4 miles recovery / 8:13 average pace

Quads in bits today so took it very easy. Checking out the area I moved to last week. Running is a great way to find out about things and places in the new locality!

Tuesday
    5 miles recovery / 8:26 average pace

Planned to have an 11MLR today but legs and body was not up for it so another recovery run and hopefully get the 11 in slow tomorrow. Ran from Bucktown into Lincoln Park neighborhood for this. Found a good park to run in for my easy runs so will be hitting up that soon enough. Also found a nice area of bars that is not too far from the new place so they will be ticked off the list in the coming weeks.

Legs still sore-ish today, HM took a lot out of them, it always does, but it had been so long since I ran one I had forgotten! :rolleyes:

Should be ok for the 11 miles tonight though. Weather awful today, rain and stormy...but it is welcome when it comes to running! No heat and humidity! :)

Wednesday
    6 miles recovery / 8:11 average pace

Turns out the legs were not prepeared for 11 miles on Wednesday, still in bits, race took a lot out of them, meaning that they did not expect or train for such a demanding excursion. Instead I done a 6 miles recovery around Bucktown / Lincoln Park. The main thing is being ready for 20 this weekend, at all costs.

Went into an area I was not familiar with so I was doggy wide, area seem a bit quiet but seemed safe based on the abodes around there so maybe I can go back again in future!

In order to accelerate recovery I had a Epsom salts bath afterwards to try and get rid of the deadness. Something I have not done in quiet some time.

Thursday
    8 miles easy / 7:54 average pace

Overnight the weather has changed from summer to autumn. temperatures were mid 70s (23c) the previous night and yesterday morning it as 51!! (10c) :eek: Frozen!

Mad how it just changed at the flick of a switch! Got out after work and decided to change this from a planned 8 mile session to 8 miles easy. Again, AMKs main thing being applied this week. All about getting a long run in at all costs!

It was late when I got back from work so it was the first high-vis jacket run of the year. The cool weather is a welcome relief from a running perspective and hoping it is cool the weekend too for my long run, that would be sweet!

Legs came on an awful lot past 24 hours thanks to the extra day and the bath was a big help I think. Ran this run over to the Lake Shore on North Ave running up Lake Michigan under lights, nice peaceful feeling, great to be alive, got a great view of the city skyline at night too. Ran back though Lincoln Park back towards home to finish off a nice loop. Quads tired in the end.

Another bath with salts to recover the legs after this one. Rest day today and looking like a 6:30am start for the long run in the morning.

Saturday
    21.5 miles LSR / 7:54 average pace

Finally got a decent long run in Saturday morning, out the door at 7am with gloves and two layers as it was about 5c :eek:, crazy weather for September here. Ran to the lake shore where I met some people from TTAU one of which was running 20 also. Running with a group makes these long runs half the battle. My left knee was at me all week and seemed to recover slower than the rest of the body, it felt like a bit of ITB. So I iced it on Thursday and Friday with a bit of foam rolling too.

I thought when I started I’d only last 5 or 6 miles as I could feel it tight for the first few miles, thankfully it loosened out as the run went on, I was glad it was cool as it made for perfect running conditions. Spend the next two hours or so going up and down the lake shore path, picking people up and dropping people off for those who were doing less mileage. At about 16 miles it was down to just the remaining two of us who were doing 20, legs were getting a bit tired now but not as bad as what I thought they would be. We branched off to head home at 18 miles and I was about 3 miles from home so I felt I might actually even get to 21. In the end it was half a mile more than that and was back home at 10am with the full day ahead.

As much as I hate early morning running, I love getting my weekend long run done so early on Saturday mornings and arriving home before my two roommates are out of bed!

Was happy out for the day after this run and I feeling confident now I can run the full 26.2! :cool:

Sunday
    6 miles easy / 8:07 average pace

Bit hungover on Sunday morning so didn’t get out for this until 7pm last night, routine run where I passed RiotFest Music Festival going on in Chicago this weekend. Arrived home to the freshly made Shepherd’s Pie I had invested 90 mins in making earlier in the day. Felt like a Sunday at home! :)

A nice way to end the weekend then when I received below message last night! :)

322312.png

50 miles for the week, biggest mileage of the year.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    4m|5m|6m|8m|Rest|21.5|6m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    50.5m|74.6m|716.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Your scaring me with that weather report :)

Great run and good news your boston bound :D

Good stuff blocky and psyched you got your Boston acceptance. I'm already assembling a high powered legal team to get us out of trouble if needed- will I get one who specializes in juvenile delinquency for you?

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Good stuff blocky and psyched you got your Boston acceptance. I'm already assembling. High powered legal team to get us out of trouble if needed- will I get one who specializes in juvenile delinquency for you?

Haha..luckily turning 21 next year before the marathon so I'll be in the clear. I think I'll leave my passport at home for this one and travel on the drivers license. That way they can't take it off me! :) we'll have to co-ordinate accommodation closer to the time so we are all on close proximity to each other!

Monday
    7 miles easy / 7:22 average pace

I have been feeling that I have been copping out for a while and that my easy pace has been a bit too easy so i picked it up a bit on the easy run on Monday. Done this in Oz Park in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago. A quirky park that has statues/sculptures of Wizard of Oz characters scattered around the place, will take pics next time I'm there.

A lap is .6 of a mile so almost twice the size of my previous local Eckhart Park which is nice as it is less laps!

Nothing else of note on this run.

Wednesday
    12.2 miles session / (6 x 800m)

Was supposed to make the club track session last night but didn’t get home until later than expected so I headed out by myself after 7pm. I warmed up by jogging to the brand new laid track on Montrose which is a decent 5 mile trek for me. Once I got there I went straight into the reps.

5 mile warm up
    6 x 800m (3:00, 2:59, 2:58, 2:56, 2:46, 2:40)
    90-120 sec recoveries.
    3.1 mile cool down

It was pretty dark already when I arrived and so the last 3 laps were in darkness (they have not set the lights up fully yet). Happy enough with the reps, first 4 reps were in the 4th lane as it was busy, last 2 in the 1st lane, hence the time difference but would think that I did speed up slightly.

ITB was acting up again for last two reps and is a bit tender today, need to monitor this closely and get some work done on it as it first popped up last week after the half. Maybe wise now to stay away from anymore speed for a while to let it ease off. Bit annoying but what can ya do!

Have 10 miles today, will start it and see how it reacts before deciding to do the full 10 or not.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    9 miles easy / 7:44 average pace

Outside of knee tender on Thursday but still got though 9 miles without too much discomfort. Was out in the suburbs so ran a loop of the Springbrook Prairie Reserve, a nice change from the city.

Saturday
    18 miles LSR / 7:59 average pace

Out early for this one Saturday morning at 7am, very similar run to last week where went over to the lake and met a few from the club. The rest day and plenty of icing / foam rolling and Epsom salt baths made the knee much improved. It's a niggle from over use no doubt and from my knee collapsing in during my stride, a clear sign of weak glutes, and partly the need for my orthotics too. I knee the problem but committing to a strengthening program to improve it is a different story altogether! Just have to manage it and hope it clears up before the race as I have only one more week before taper, I wont be 100% it anyway so should not be too much of a problem.

Will commit to improving the glutes after the marathon when I will be doing less mileage in the lead up to xmas. That's my plan anyway.

One more 20 miler and then it's wind down.

Sunday
    6 miles easy / 7:57 average pace

House warming Saturday night meant a rough day yesterday, got out in the evening for an easy 6 miler to clear the head and bring it to 53 miles for the week.

Week Mileage Summary:

7.5m|Rest|12.2m|9m|Rest|18m|6m

52.9m|127.5m|769.6m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

If you're doing the 800m reps, do you start on the finish line regardless of which lane you run in? If so, you might want to familiarise yourself with the different start points in the different lanes for the different distances and you'll even those reps out. Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

If you're doing the 800m reps, do you start on the finish line regardless of which lane you run in? If so, you might want to familiarise yourself with the different start points in the different lanes for the different distances and you'll even those reps out. Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Yup i get ya about the lanes, I started at the correct points for the 4th lane at the start and 200m marks ( I done 200m recoveries) but when the rep is 800m and I couldnt really cut into the first lane after the first lap meant that it was always going to be out a bit...but I do indeed get what ur saying!

Monday
    10 miles session /3E + 4M + 3E

I’ve a bit of catching up to do here! :eek: Pretty bad week for me last week. Started off with this session on the Monday.

3 miles easy (7:53)
    4 miles @MP* (6:42, 6:41, 6:39, 6:46)
    3 miles easy (7:55 )

This felt a bit of effort towards the end, but it down to being a session where my pace is a bit faster than where I am at marathon wise at the moment.
    *somewhere around marathon pace :pac:

Wednesday
    4 miles recovery / 8:11 average pace

Felt terrible last Tuesday and for pretty much the rest of the week, very run down, weak, the easiest of tasks (typing on a keyboard) feeling like extra effort. :( Not sure what it was but I was not great at all. I had planned 10 for Wednesday but knew it wasn’t going to happen. Instead I dragged myself off the couch to try a recovery 4 miles, being the stubborn guy I am. :rolleyes: Sure enough, felt rough and laboured doing even recovery pace. Got though it but it was stupid going out.

Thursday
    6 miles recovery / 8:20 average pace

Round 2 of stupidity, still feeling poor on Thursday get I went out again! :rolleyes: Planned the 10 from Wednesday but knew it wouldn’t happen. Limited to six and this I have to say was my worst run of the year. 3 miles in at 8:30 pace I almost slowed to a walk, but the fact that I was so far from home on an out an back route I had limited options only to grind it out. Lacking energy not sure if it was a bug/infection or what but frustrating all the same

I had 20 planned for Saturday and 6 for Sunday, finally on Friday evening I got some sense and called the runs off for the rest of the week. The stories of Brianderunner and Runchick are too familiar to ignore so I decided that a full 3 days of rest were needed before re-assessing.

The fact that I only ran one 20 miler before this marathon and only one 18 miler says it all, I guess it won’t matter that much if I will be going around in 8min miles, be worse if this was my preparation for Boston! Too much to lose rather than gain by going out on that 20 miler though. Made the right move.
    Time for taper now even though I havn’t done much training that I need to taper for! But screw it’ ill taper anyway!

Week Mileage Summary

10m|Rest|4m|6m|Rest|Rest| Rest

20m|147.5m|789.6m

Monday
    7 miles easy / 7:27 average pace

Taper time :pac: After the 3 days off I was much improved, needed the break if I’m honest. This was a nice run and the nice pace felt easy. Ran to the lake by the North Ave Beach, took a minute looking over the skyline of the Hancock and Drake Hotel and then ran back again. Pretty routine.

I had a light bag on me from Galway Bay Half Marathon, the string type ones. Had a shaker cup in it. It was a lovely evening when I got to the lake so I set the bag down for a minute to enjoy the view. Out of nowhere a big gust of wind kicked up (had been dead all day) and blew the Bag into the Lake! It was the start of a storm that was around the rest of the evening. Thankfully nothing important was in the bag. So now a Galway Bay Half Marathon bag from 2011 is floating around Lake Michigan in Chicago! :D Great Advertising! ;)

Tuesday
    9 miles session /1.5E + 3M + 0.5R + 2M + 2E

Best run in a long time :), felt very comfortable and controlled during this, paces were nice and manageable. Done the pace miles via laps around Oz Park on trial, nice to keep off the concrete.

Felt real good after this. Went to doc to follow up on last week too, typically I’m much improved when I go! :rolleyes: Gave the once over and will keep an eye on it. Not much use but peace of mind at least for now.

1.5 miles easy (7:28)
    3 miles @MP* (6:36, 6:32, 6:35)
    0.5 miles recovery
    2 miles @MP* (6:37, 6:28)
    2 miles easy (7:33)

When you say mp here, do you mean mp for Boston next year or are you considering going gung-ho on it next weekend?

Block. My take- use Chicago for the long run/ marathon experience run 3:15 or so and jump straight into a couple months of 5k 10k stuff then 12 week programme in to Boston. You do this and we'll be running together in Beantown try and blast one out w/ questionable health and no LSRs and you could be out for months.

Be smart....

Ya, I think you should listen to the Dr's advice here, nothing to be gained in racing it. Don't be a langer!

No chance on racing next week. Will be looking at 3:20 -3:30. Not enough traning done would be madness to think about racing it. Dr.Q is on the money that will be the plan over the winter.

The MP last night is not really MP is was my MP 12 months ago. Just getting a feel for how much I'm off it. Not that much but endurance is the problem.

• Advertisement

Danny Welbeck.

Advertisement