Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Brilliant. Honestly, I'm a little annoyed you've found your form again so quickly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Nice result there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super stuff Blocky well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

blockic wrote: »
    310260.jpg
    I think I ran on that track before (when I was over for the marathon). Is it on this route here? Just off Chicago Ave? Strangely, Vince Vaughan was running around it at the same time, pushing a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I think I ran on that track before (when I was over for the marathon). Is it on this route here? Just off Chicago Ave? Strangely, Vince Vaughan was running around it at the same time, pushing a buggy.

Yep, that's the track. Nice location too in that it is right off the lake so you tend to get a nice fresh light breeze most of the time there...enough to cool down during reps!

• Advertisement

Sunday
    5 miles recovery / 8:50 average pace

Thanks everyone. Went out for a recovery run yesterday morning which encompassed both Eckhart and Wicker Park. Done some stretches on the grass in Wicker for 10 mins before jogging the last mile home to finish off a good week. No negative effects from the race on Saturday. Going to do another session this week. Potentially 4 x 5 min @ 5k.

Have not done a long run in 2 weeks now but definitely plan one for this weekend coming.

I have signed up for another 5km race on 4th July in an undisclosed vacation location much sunnier than here. Should be fun and hopefully an improvement in time! Looking forward to both the race and the break!

Week Mileage Summary:
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    4m|Rest|7m|7.2m|Rest|7.1m|5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    30.2m|87.9m|296.9m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Vacation? Seriously?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Vacation? Seriously?

Thought you'd enjoy that alright! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well done on the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats on the race , super stuff , great to see you back! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice running J - well done!

Only spent two days in Chicago but I was very impressed; great town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on the race ! The few months rest obviously did you some good too.

Some catch up due. Finding it difficult to update the log recently.

Tuesday 24th June
    7.1 miles easy / 7:43 average pace

An easy run over to Humboldt Park, ran 2 laps and back home again.

Wednesday 25th June
    2.1 miles session / (6 x 400m)

My new club that I will be running races with were having their monthly group track session that everyone tries to make the extra effort to turn up too. I decided to go along for the first time to see what is like and I was given a good welcome and met a good few runners in around my standard with will be great for company on runs.

I arrived late to Lake Shore Park where it was on (the track I found a couple weeks before) so I didn’t get a chance to warm up, bad idea I know. They session was a relay 400m session where people where put into pairs and done every second rep, it was good fun and I pushed myself harder that I would have on my own. Went for food with them after and was good fun. I’ll be back. I’m on the roster for the race series now so hopefully I can contribute!

Thursday 26th June
    5 miles easy / 8:13 average pace

5 easy miles in Eckhart Park after the session yesterday, legs were in a jock (thanks to lack of warm up the day before of course!)

The rest of the weekend was a disaster and a write off, so annoyed with myself for not getting in runs but on the Friday the body just said no, and on the weekend I had visitors over from Ireland so had to entertain and never got out to run. Promised to rectify it somewhat the following week.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Rest|7.1m|2.1m|5m|Rest|Rest|Rest

14.2m|102.1m|311.1m

Monday 30th June
    5 miles easy / 7:45 average pace

Stupidly went out for this run in the midst of thunderstorms, there was a weather event occurring known as deroncho which I basically translate to a super thunderstorm. I wanted to get out as I was frustrated with the lack of running over the weekend. There was a gap in the thunderstorms for like 30 minutes in the forecast so I decided to gamble….bad idea!!

I got through the first 2.5 miles fine but when I arrived at the United Center, while it was dry I took a brief look behind me and I was met with multiples of fork lightening across the Chicago skyline. While the view of it was amazing I quickly realised that I needed to get the hell out of dodge here, the fact I was the only one on the footpath the whole way should have really rang a bell for me! I upped the pace a bit for the last 2.5 miles as the sky was lighting up above me!

Managed to get back alive anyway but an hour later all hell broke loose and the lightening was so frequent and constant it lit up the sky for about 90mins making it feel like daytime! AN interesting run and night indeed! I’ll be avoiding running the night of deroncho next year that’s for sure!

Monthly Summary

Month|Runs|2013 Miles|Runs|2014 Miles
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2
    March|24/31|216.1|7/31|25.3
    April|17/30|120.2|12/30|48.5
    May|20/31|151.8|17/31|97.2
    June|18/30|149.7|19/30|107.1
    July|26/31|220.4||
    August|27/31|250.5||
    September|24/31|197.3||
    October|18/31|135.4||
    November|10/30|67.5||
    December|1/31|4||

Tuesday 1st July
    6 miles session / 2E + (5 x 2min @ 5KP) + 1.5E

Ran this myself in Eckhart Park as a mini session and to be honest can remember much on it but here were the numbers..
    2 miles easy (7:44)
    5 x 2 minutes (5:50, 5:45, 5:57, 5:55, 5:34)
    90 sec recoveries (walk / jog)
    1.5 miles easy (8:04)

Thursday 3rd July
    3 miles easy / 8:16 average pace

Booked a couple days of work and paid a visit to the West Coast in the form of Southern California for the 4th July weekend. :cool: I have spent two 3 month stents here in my former years so it was great to get back there to visit friends in low places ;) Jasis that was good! :cool:

Managed to squeeze this run in at my first stop off in Encinitas before I moved on up the coast. Unlike Illinois there are some hills around here and I managed to run up to a cliff edge to get a decent shot of the Pacific Coastline, ran a bit on the beach before zipping back the way I came. A good start to the weekend.

Friday 4th July

Surf City 5km - Huntington Beach, CA

Chip Time: 18:26
    Average Pace: 5.51/mile
    Result: 26/1297

Decided to take a second bash off the 5km distance is close proximity to my first as I noticed this race was on when I was researching my weekend down here a couple of weeks back.

The competition was pretty deep in this one with the winner coming home in 14:46 at age 17. HS!! Race kick off was at 8am so I left the apartment at 7am to do some warm up miles before zipping up to the start. Got there in time and it looked a decent set up! Few warm up stretches and I line up towards the front. This looked to be a big event and with Ms. Orange County and Ms. Southern California parading at the front I started to get a little distracted. The National Anthem was belted out with passion on what was America’s day of birth and I re focused. Buzzer went and off we went.

The route was an out and back where we ran a mile and a half to the coast before turning back to the finish. I settled in what was the second pack for the first mile (5:51) and I was ahead of my pace from my previous race, during the second mile (5:55) the group started to disintegrate but I managed to keep it together and stuck it out with 3 or 4 others, it was pretty warm and it was causing a bit of trouble for me but the lack of humidity on the west coast meant that it was nothing like a Chicago summer’s day!

At this stage we were on the way back and the last mile suffering had begun. I set a mini target for myself to beat the 4 in the group I was in and with half a mile to go I took the front which I held to the end. The third mile was done in 5:50 with the last .2 sprinted in 5:25 pace as I rounded the last corner I saw the time on the clock and I would be lying if I was not a tad disappointed as I had been hoping for a sub 18:20, I knew the previous 5km was a tad short so I was not expecting that again. This one measured 3.2 miles on my watch which seemed about right if not slightly long. I reckon I just should have concentrated more on the racing line!!

Was beaten by the 1st lady but came 2nd non-Californian! :cool: The lady was from Utah. I’ll take a podium place for any category even if I got nothing for it! :P Sure what else would I be doing on 8am of a holiday morning, well worth it! Arrived back at 9am only for my buddies to be still in bed! Lazy out!
    Had a great 4th down at the Beach watching the fireworks and was good to meet people I had not seen in a few years.

I’ll be back to sort out this 5km time! Note to self: Need a haircut!!!

314027.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You look fat in that picture J, great running as always.

tang1 wrote: »
    You look fat in that picture J, great running as always.

Cheers. Haha! I could actually lose a few lbs alright believe it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Cheers. Haha! I could actually lose a few lbs alright believe it or not!

Only joking, jaysus you turn sideways we wouldn't see you.

"Had a great 4th on the beach"

Would you ever fcuk off blocky. I bet you have a stronger US accent than the athlete formerly known as Drquirky :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

loving the overseas race reports & logging, fair play man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great stuff.......dont get too much faster....take your time, seriousy. :)

Nice work.

TRR wrote: »
    "Had a great 4th on the beach"

Would you ever fcuk off blocky. I bet you have a stronger US accent than the athlete formerly known as Drquirky :)

Haha, missed all the scandal the last week or so! Distraught! :mad: Hope Quirky comes back as he would be a big loss to the forum. Need people to say things straight out from time to time when nobody else will!

I have actually been caught a couple of occasions with a hint of the accent! :eek: Need to get a quick trip home to belt it out of me!
    statss wrote: »
    loving the overseas race reports & logging, fair play man.

Cheers Sean, trying my best to keep it up to date!

Great stuff.......dont get too much faster....take your time, seriousy. :)

Nice work.

Haha..once I dont get slower from this point now I don't mind!

Sunday
    7.2 miles easy / 8:22 average pace

Finished off my weekend with a morning beach run on Sunday along part of the 8 miles stretch of beach. Took it very easy on the sand but it was a very enjoyable run that set me up for the day and the flight back. Wish I could live here!
    Some pictures of my weekend here and here

Good mileage for the week considering I was on holidays. Only a couple of weeks now and then the real work starts and goals will have to be set!

Week Mileage Summary:
    5m|6m|Rest|3m|7.2m|Rest|7.2m

28.4m|23.4m|338.5m

Tuesday
    7 miles easy / 8:04 average pace

Done this in what is now becoming my regular route in Humboldt Park....jog over, 2 loops of the park and then a saunter home. Garmin had not battery so had to guess the pace of this one. 56 mins on the old fashioned watch.

Wednesday
    8 miles session / 1E + 2T + 1R + 2T + 2R

My first dip into a tempo session in quite a while and I felt great after it mentally, but physically my groin is in a heap, I've been walking like John Wayne the last couple of days. Maybe due to the fact that I done a bit of foam rolling afterwards too, again something I had not done in quite a while.

Pace was about 20 seconds off my times pre-injury but hopefully I can progress again and get back to where I was.

Humboldt Park for this one again.

1 mile easy (7:44)
    2 miles tempo (6:18, 6:15)
    1 mile recovery (8:22)
    2 miles tempo (6:20, 6:20)
    2 miles recovery (8:27)

Thursday
    3.1 miles recovery / 8:49 average pace

Couldn't go any faster last night as the groin is still in a jock, hoped it would loosen me up which it did...a bit! still stiff today though. Hopefully be ok for a long run this weekend as I have to get one in. It has been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Couldn't go any faster last night as the groin is still in a jock, hoped it would loosen me up which it did...a bit! still stiff today though. Hopefully be ok for a long run this weekend as I have to get one in. It has been too long.

I see you have yet to find a lady friend?! :D

Friday
    4 miles recovery / 8:26 average pace

Groin still in bits so another routine recovery run was the order of the day, still a bit confused as to how I jocked it up so much! It was only 2 + 2T!

Sunday
    12 miles LSR / 7:57 average pace

I'm very surprised to discover that this was my longest run since DCM. :eek: Longest in 9 months! :eek:

Went over to the lake shore for this run on Sunday morning at 8am in order to be back in time for the Rebel's long overdue championship glory! :cool: followed by hosting the a world cup final BBQ, a busy day!

The sun came out after 4 miles and the temp started to rise, warm but manageable. I ran this on empty also apart from a few sips of water along the way.

Arches started to burn and rub a bit after 8 miles, a sign of a big mileage week I guess so I just slowed the pace a bit for the remainder and tried to keep pressure of them.

All good, but I'm slightly worried that if this happens in the marathon I may have to bail on it..hopefully the tolerance will be built up by then.

Biggest mileage week of the year...progress.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Rest|7m|8m|3.1m|4m|Rest|12m

34.1m|57.5m|372.6m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

back in time for the Rebel's long overdue championship glory!

Chicago Rebels? They a baseball team? Basketball??

:pac:

Chicago Rebels? They a baseball team? Basketball??

:pac:

I just realised that AMK's recent 5k is faster than the young lads! The good living in the states must be softening the young lad up if a man close to his 60's can record faster 5k times that him ;)

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    I just realised that AMK's recent 5k is faster than the young lads! The good living in the states must be softening the young lad up if a man close to his 60's can record faster 5k times that him ;)

I will have you know that unlike Ireland we actually get a summer here and therefore conditions are much warmer resulting in slower times!! ;)

Plus that AMK lad is a bloody track fairy anyway...bound to be better at the shorter distances!

Advertisement