Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So moved to the US last Wednesday and have been settling in all week trying to set up and sort out a 1001 things..getting there though.

Thursday
    3 miles easy / 7:51 average pace

First run on US soil..this year ;), Ran in a park next to where I am staying at the moment..i bit small so many laps were undertaken....all on grass which is key for me at the moment.

May look to expand horizons to find larger landscapes to explore.

Injury is non-existent (touch wood) but feet are still getting used to the orthotics particularly the arches where there is a bit of rubbing at the moment as the orthotics are preventing the collapse of the foot on impact.

Temperature was nippy 37F ;)

Last Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|Rest|Rest|3m|Rest|Rest|Rest

Last Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    3m|3m|69.3m

Monday
    5 miles easy (incl. 1m Steady) / 7:37 average pace

Ran in the same park as last Thursday just a bit longer with a few laps around a baseball park also...picked it up for the last mile to see where I am at...first sub 7 mile since November (6:52)...felt a bit of effort and no way would I do 26 of them currently!! Work to do.

Oh...signed up for Chicago yesterday...round 2! :D Deadline was yesterday so it was now or never...i may not be in shape in time but from a long term perspective, this is only a stepping stone to Boston 2015. The next big target all going well.

You settling in nicely? Did immigration do a cavity search on you again?

Ha..all going well!!

Flew through immigration this time...sure they know me now! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

blockic wrote: »
    Ha..all going well!!

Flew through immigration this time...sure they know me now! ;)

A lot of people know that cavity ;)

Tuesday
    3 miles recovery / 8:23 average pace

A glorious evening here this evening so I went down to the town's river walk to check it out. Loved the run exploring new areas along the DuPage river during sunset. Temperatures are picking up now and was about 9 degrees so perfect running weather.

Bumped into a few ducks and squirrels on the way around and also the sledding hill used during the winter, i'd say they can take that down now!

Towards the end of the run I heard activity in the local high school's football pitch so I jogged over to see a girl's lacrosse game taking place...once I figured out what it was I left again fairly rapidly as I was beginning to feel like digger....shudder.. :pac:

More of these runs please!

Friday
    4 miles easy / 7:26 average pace

A saunter around the local park, uneventful.

Sunday
    5 miles easy / 7:29 average pace

Intended to get out early for this but slept in a bit. Then decided I'd go out after the Masters but when I went to go out a big thunderstorm but paid to my plans....checked the weather and there was a 30min gap between storms coming up so decided to make the most of it.

Got out and was dry for first 3 miles but then the heavens opened and I got soaked the last 2...30 mins me hole...enjoyed it though as I find it liberating running in heavy rain.

Out 4 times this week and 17 miles biggest mileage in a while. Blister on my left arch still annoying me. Orthotic working well on my previously injured right foot but the left one seems to be annoynig my left arch. Play it by ear I guess, if it continues may need to get it looked at and reviewed.

Happy with the weeks work, 4 times again next week hopefully.

Week Mileage Summary:

5m|3m|Rest|Rest|4m|Rest|5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    17m|20m|86.3m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Did you get to watch the GAA at all this weekend?;)

Did you get to watch the GAA at all this weekend?;)

What's GAA? Do you mean the NCAA Final Four or the NHL and NBA race for the playoffs?

Yes I did. It was rad bro! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Good to see ya getting back into the training Blockic and best of luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

What's GAA? Do you mean the NCAA Final Four or the NHL and NBA race for the playoffs?

Yes I did. It was rad bro! :pac:

Yeah whatever ... but Cubs or Sox ? :)

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yeah whatever ... but Cubs or Sox ? :)

Has to be the Cubs! I'm here to remove the curse! ;)

• Advertisement

Unfortunately didn't get out as much as I wanted last week. Big blister on my left arch caused me to miss Monday-Wednesday and then did not manage to get out on Thursday so Friday was my first run.

Friday
    2E + 1T miles / 7:33 average pace

Ran with two work colleagues for this, first two miles were easy and the GAA heads on the two of them were saying how this running thing is easy. Burned them off with a tempo last mile (6:16) and returned after to them panting...there you go boys....

Sunday
    3 miles easy / 8:51 average pace

Was over in Michigan over the easter weekend so didn't get to run...drove back on Sunday night and was frustrated that I only had one run done for the week so I got out at 9:30 for 3 easy miles...lovely night for it.

Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|3m|Rest|3m

6m|26m|92.3m

Monday
    5 miles easy / 7:46 average pace

Handy enough routine run. GAA head lasted 3 miles, I tagged on two more.

Got a place sorted in downtown over the weekend and due to move in the weekend after next. Really looking forward to it as there are some sweet running routes around the city...only in the western suburbs at the moment. Will have to throw some picture up in the "where you run" thread.

Looking into joining a club here but it's proving difficult...don't really work the club scene over here that well. All running groups are linked to running stores and you buy into training programs with a group of people rather than a membership.

Don't want a training program, just want people to run with!! There is one promising group alright called FleetFeet Racing...it's more for competition rather than the "finish the distance" running group.

Might look into these guys and go in to inquire. Just need contacts!

Tuesday

After 10 years of no hurling I came out of retirement on Tuesday for a training session with a club here in Chicago. Was fun to play a bit again but I reckon it's a short term thing...feel it will impact my running training negatively (twisting and turning may offer significant injury risk!) once I get fully back up to speed....might be grand for a month or two...we'll see!

Wednesday
    3 miles recovery / 9:05 average pace

A slow recovery run near the apartment to loosen out the legs from the hurling training the previous night. Some muscles were aching which haven't been used in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Looking into joining a club here but it's proving difficult...don't really work the club scene over here that well. All running groups are linked to running stores and you buy into training programs with a group of people rather than a membership.

Don't want a training program, just want people to run with!! There is one promising group alright called FleetFeet Racing...it's more for competition rather than the "finish the distance" running group.

Might look into these guys and go in to inquire. Just need contacts!

Sounds like a very different scene. I'll check if any of my club mates are from Chicago and might be able to make a suggestion.

Pretty sure FleetFeet is also a running store. There's certainly a chain of that name that used to host runs here - my local one did not survive Sandy but the runs were good (and no cost other than the beer that the owner stashed in the back !)

One thing that might be worth checking is meetup.com Lot of groups use it to organize ad hoc runs - if nothing else you could reach out to them.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sounds like a very different scene. I'll check if any of my club mates are from Chicago and might be able to make a suggestion.

Pretty sure FleetFeet is also a running store. There's certainly a chain of that name that used to host runs here - my local one did not survive Sandy but the runs were good (and no cost other than the beer that the owner stashed in the back !)

One thing that might be worth checking is meetup.com Lot of groups use it to organize ad hoc runs - if nothing else you could reach out to them.

That would be great thanks! Yep, FleetFeet is a store also that organise runs pretty much as you say.

Saw a group in my area alright up on meetup.com, but looks very small. Will try to get to it though and gain contacts through there.

If you hear of anything good do let me know!

Friday
    5.5 miles recovery / 8:44 average pace

With the legs still in a bit of a jock from hurling training I took this easy to loosen out the legs a bit more. I ran part of this run on the Illinois Prairie Path (map here) which I only discovered as I was running along the road. It is 61 miles of trail :eek: spanning from Aurora in the West to Forest Park in the East (just outside Chicago).

I ran in the Aurora section crossing over I-88 into Warrenville for a mile or two in what is a really nice trail. I though it was only a few miles long but it was only when I researched it after did I discover how big it was.

The trail in fact has a two brothers beer named after it as it almost passes their brewery in Warrenville. The Two Brothers Prairie Path Golden Ale is pretty tasty too and quite popular in these parts!

When I move to the city I will definitely use the east section of this for some runs as it starts right next to the Forest Park "L" l blue line stop. Looking forward to getting out to discover more of it!

Saturday
    3 miles easy / 7:47 average pace

Ran this in the Springbrook Prairie (info here) with a hangover on Saturday, It really cleared the cobwebs and it was another well looked after nature reserve. However it says to watch out for coyotes while you are there but apparently they won't harm you...I hope not!

Yesterday I played my first hurling game in years, good fun, I'm still s***e :pac: but at the end of the game the scouts ;) were over to sign me up for Chicago...don't think I'll be rushing into that now...only year want to play for the laugh now and again and to do something different.

Legs in a jock today, might get out for a recovery run later.

Passed the 100 mile mark last week, jasis I'm having an awful year!

5m|Rest|3m|Rest|5.5m|3m|Rest

16.5m|42.5m|108.8m

And you were banging on at me to give up football! :)

Seriously, good to see your settling in well. That trail run looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

And you were banging on at me to give up football! :)

Seriously, good to see your settling in well. That trail run looks impressive.

Ha, I know yeah! :) ...Sure I know I'm stupid for doing it and that it will likely come back to bite me in the ass but sure look, it's not as if I have anything to lose at the moment. I've a zero base and my legs are none too happy to be doing even just 20 mile weeks!

Last Week

Tuesday
    3 miles easy / 7:44 average pace

I seem to be playing catch up here all the time lately, must improve! A routine 3 mile run this, nothing to write home about.

Saturday
    5.2 miles easy / 7:53 average pace

Things were hectic last week as I was moving apartments from the suburbs into the city so I hardly had a chance to get out between buying furniture, looking at places, collecting a UHAUL van, picking up furniture, dropping off furniture..collecting baggage, dropping baggage etc etc. :D

Got out for 5 miles on Saturday evening in Naperville, went fine but arches felt a bit of burning from 4 miles on from orthotics. Getting very frustrated now as I want to run more but if I go over 5 miles, blisters occur and it knocks me out for 2/3 days.

I'd prefer to have 5 miles three or 4 times a week rather than 7 twice a week so keeping the mileage low to I am able to run again the following day. Just getting a bit pi**ed off as the months are flying by but seems like I'm getting nowhere.

Good news is that I'll be settled now after this week so hopefully I can get into a better routine!

Went playing hurling on Sunday, of course bought new boots and played on a rock hard surface, resulting in by feet in agony and more blisters, topped of with carpet burn on both knees from falling onto same said rock surface...

I'm not really learning am I! :pac:

Hurling to take a back step now with only the odd game while I focus on getting back on my feet...literally.

Rest|3m|Rest|Rest|Rest|5.2m|Rest

8.2m|5.2m|117m

Monthly Summary

Month|Runs|2013 Miles|Runs|2014 Miles
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2
    March|24/31|216.1|7/31|25.3
    April|17/30|120.2|12/30|48.5
    May|20/31|151.8||
    June|18/30|149.7||
    July|26/31|220.4||
    August|27/31|250.5||
    September|24/31|197.3||
    October|18/31|135.4||
    November|10/30|67.5||
    December|1/31|4||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

topped of with carpet burn on both knees from falling onto same said rock surface...

Your kidding nobody with that i'm afraid!! Good to see you settled in, that might help with the running routine.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    4 miles easy / 8:12 average pace

First run in Chicago itself since I crossed the line last October in the marathon. Good to be back! Ran a local block by Wicker Park the area I'm now living...seems to be nice and laid back with a good social scene...i better go investigate that claim this weekend! :pac:

My new annoyance in my right foot are my 4th and 5th toe...not painful but seemed to get numb at the end of my run...strange stuff going on here....arches were fine for this...if it's not one thing, it's the other! :rolleyes:

Feel like just powering on now and upping the mileage a bit, see what happens...can't deal with under 20 mile weeks anymore.

Wednesday
    6 miles easy / 8:20 average pace

Longest run since January! Whoop! Ran over to Humboldt Park passing an area known as Ukrainian Village on the way...big presence of Ukrainian flags with everything that was going on at the moment. Park was nice but still not looking pristine as the weather has been poor to date...should be nice in summer though!

Watch ran out after 4 miles so ran back the way I came to bring it up to 6 at a minimum. Happy with this...toes numbed up again after the run, may need to stretch them or something. Will try that tonight.

Going meeting some running group tonight that I found on the internet for 3 or 4 miles...here's hoping it's better than the last crazy online running group I got involved in ;)

Going to run on Lake Shore Drive on Saturday too, will bring the camera for that one!

Thursday
    4.5 miles easy / 8:04 average pace

Met up with a meet up group on Thursday evening for a run in Wicker Park, about 8 of us ran a small 3 mile route and met up for drinks then after. Good to get to know other running folk around here. The last mile and a half made up the from the jog to and from home...feet were ok for this run

Saturday
    2.2 miles easy / 8:11 average pace

Had a great day Saturday downtown exploring and for the evening I decided to go for a tourist run. I started off by running from home to the CTA Red Line to get the train up north.

I crossed over goose island on division in this section getting a nice view of the city on the bridge. Arrived at the red line with and started the trip up North.

8 miles easy / 7:55 average pace

This was a beautiful run and also my longest run of the year. Win-Win! After getting off the red line I started this run outside Wrigley field, home of the Chicago Cubs, the second oldest baseball stadium in the US, celebrating 100 years this year.

From here I made my way to the shoreline of Lake Michigan, here they have a Lakeshore trail that goes on for 20 miles both north and south of Chicago. I went in a southerly direction back into the city as it is this direction that has the best views. I made my way back into town going at an easy pace, with the weather outside being a nice 20 degrees. Once I made it to the Chicago River I went inland for the last mile or so along the Chicago river walk with the Thump tower in view directly ahead of me..finishing up at the Clark/ Lake “L” line station with a good days work done! Legs were tired for the last 2 miles to be expected as my mileage has been so low recently…I still count it as good progress!!

Route here

The good news was I took some great pictures on route; the bad news is 5 hours later my phone which the photos were on got stolen (snatched by a cyclist) as I walked home from the supermarket! Absolutely Sickened! Hope karma strikes back for that a**hole! Welcome to Chicago! Lesson learned to keep my hands in my pockets in future!

Looks like I’ll have to do the route again and re-take the pictures!

Running wise a great week for me, biggest mileage this year, hoping to keep it over 20 now consistently going forward.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Rest|4m|6m|4.5m|Rest|10.2m|Rest

24.7m|29.9m|141.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bloody cyclists.

Nice running. Must be nice to do Lake Michigan shoreline, just like all those characters in E.R.!

'Running along the shoreline of Lake Michigan' sounds glorious. Great to see the mileage increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Anybody want to buy a second hand phone?

It comes with a free cork gaa cover and some bizarre pictures of AMK

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice work on the 8M! How were the feet and toes afterwards?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Anybody want to buy a second hand phone?

It comes with a free cork gaa cover and some bizarre pictures of AMK

They were photoshopped. I didn't even know that sheep.

They were photoshopped. I didn't even know that sheep.

THAT sheep, what other sheep do you know tell us??

cianc wrote: »
    Nice work on the 8M! How were the feet and toes afterwards?

Thanks Cian! Feet were good after this one...kept it slow however I know that speed work is still well off. Once I up the pace the friction on the foot with increase due to the harder pounding so will blister after a couple miles!

Frustrating as I want to start speed work and the lungs are able for it but unfortunately the foot is not yet! Grrrrr!

Still I'll take 25 Miles a week for now.

I see you are upping the gears nicely yourself?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Thanks Cian! Feet were good after this one...kept it slow however I know that speed work is still well off. Once I up the pace the friction on the foot with increase due to the harder pounding so will blister after a couple miles!

Frustrating as I want to start speed work and the lungs are able for it but unfortunately the foot is not yet! Grrrrr!

Still I'll take 25 Miles a week for now.
    Sensible man. You know yourself, slow and steady now, get the body strong, crank it up later. 8M is nothing to be sneezed at (espcially when you've been laid up for a while).
    I see you are upping the gears nicely yourself?!

Yeah, things going well so far, touch wood. I found once I got over the initial month or two, the body was a bit stronger and a lot of the phantom niggles went away. Now it's just a matter of catching up with all the feckers who've been training away injury free for the last 6 months! Better make the most of my head start on you :)

Advertisement